The Jedi Philosophy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
I would like to seriously discuss the pros and cons of this philosophical interpretation of the Force religion. First of all...

"There is no why."
If you keep asking why for long enough, eventually there will be no answer. Maybe the universe isn't based on a foundation of logic at the most fundamental level? Jedi aren't even meant to think about the Sith philosophy; the are just meant to be faithful. In the ROTS book it says "In the Force, Obi-Wan is beyond questions."

Greed leads to self destruction
I think this is very true. Take corporations for example. If they go too far in trying to rip people off instead of selling a quality product, eventually they will perish.

The will of the Force
"He has no need to attack, or to defend. There will be a battle here, but he is perfectly at ease, perfectly content to let the battle start when it will start, and end when it will end. Just as he will let himself live, or let himself die." It seems the Jedi see themselves as messengers of the Force, avartars through which it enacts its will. The Sith on the other hand seem not content to let the Force control them, but to control the Force themselves.

That's all I've got to say for now.

Shakyamunison
This Jedi Philosophy is loosely based on Buddhism with some made up terms for the story. You might find it fun to do some research and find where the different aspects of Jedi Philosophy come from.

Atlantis001
"There is no why.", why?

I think logic is not the fundation of the universe, and theres even a theorem in mathematics that says that any logical systems are either contradictory or imcomplete always. So in this way science and any thing that uses logic will always be limited, and have contradictions.
"Sometimes I think its strange to try explain why theres no why."
In other hand blind faith in the Jedi Code, for example, is wrong too. The right thing should be something like understanding why it is right. Not a logical understanding, but following it because it feels right, the Jedi would say: "The force shows us the right path."

Greed leads to self destruction

Maybe thats because we become too dependant of acquiring things thats not always possible. Humility could be to have independece on these things.

The will of the Force

I think that has something with the "eliminate the ego" philosophy of the buddhism. It could mean that we should have faith in the natural order of things, and not try to control this order in some way. In Jedi words "We must let the force guide us."

Justice Pie
Careful, the forum Nazi's are gonna start harassing you cause there already is a post like this titled, 'talking about Jedi religion'.
You know how those Nazi's get. sick

Anyways...

Originally posted by Justice Pie
Just reiterating.

http://www.explorefaith.org/news/05_17_05.html

http://www.christianwisdomofthejedi...index.php?cat=1

Also, this is one of the best descriptions of the Jedi, that I have ever heard/read.

"Jedi are not moralists. That's a common misperception. We are fundamentally pragmatic . The Jedi is altruistic less because to be so is good, than because to be so is safe: to use the Force for personal ends is dangerous. This is the trap that can snare even the most good, kind, caring Jedi: it leads to what we call the dark side. Power to do good eventually becomes just power..." -Shatterpoint Matthew Stover

LordFear
It's amazing how people are so quick to dispel religion and God and can't sit in church for more than a half an hour but can contemplate and use a fictional movie as a doctrine and blueprint to live their lives.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by LordFear
It's amazing how people are so quick to dispel religion and God and can't sit in church for more than a half an hour but can contemplate and use a fictional movie as a doctrine and blueprint to live their lives.

With the number of hypocrites today sitting in church and going out and doing harm to anyone who crosses them, it is no wonder that people will search for anything better. It is rare to find any Christian who is Christ like, but I know many Buddhists that are.

LordFear
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
With the number of hypocrites today sitting in church and going out and doing harm to anyone who crosses them, it is no wonder that people will search for anything better. It is rare to find any Christian who is Christ like, but I know many Buddhists that are.

Believe me for most of my adult life I has used that precise excuse as the reason for not going to church but only recently have I realized that we don't go to church to judge or be like others but for what church offers and that is the good word and the positive message it brings.
So now I try to think of that when I go to church and think that although the majority in that church are perhaps among the worst human beings in terms of spirituality but I don't go there for them but for myself.
I think that concept helps much.

Shakyamunison
Thank You, LordFear...

This is what drove me away and I'm still working on my attitude. It is good to see that others see this and are trying to fix it one person at a time. If everyone saw it your way, things would get better. I wish you great happiness.

Atlantis001

LordFear
Thank You, LordFear...

This is what drove me away and I'm still working on my attitude. It is good to see that others see this and are trying to fix it one person at a time. If everyone saw it your way, things would get better. I wish you great happiness.

Well I return the Thank You also.
I appreciate you seeing things through my eyes.
Hopefully others in time will discover this way of thinking and that
will perhaps lure them back to the good path

((The_Anomaly))

maybe the "church" religions are not satasfying to me?

maybe I dont believe in what they say...

there are many reasons. The "jedi" religion followers have the same rights as you do. they can believe what they want.

plus, I've seen no evidence that Christianity is anything more then "fiction" as you call it...

that goes for all religions.

so please dont bash peoples beliefs. no matter if you agree with them or not. it makes you seem stupid. Even if thier faith is based upon a "fictional" movie. the morals implied by this movie are not sessassarly false, and perhaps they are good for living your lives...who knows.

apparently these people think so.

lil bitchiness
This Jedi Philosophy is loosely based on Buddhism with some made up terms for the story. You might find it fun to do some research and find where the different aspects of Jedi Philosophy come from.

I was about to say that.

Jedi philosophy is Buddhist philosophy - attachment (or lack of) is one fo the main themes in Buddhism.

''Let go of all you are afraid to lose'' yes

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I was about to say that.

Jedi philosophy is Buddhist philosophy - attachment (or lack of) is one fo the main themes in Buddhism.

''Let go of all you are afraid to lose'' yes

If you let go of something, you gain something, power over your life.

Darth_Janus
Jedi philosophy is a combination of many religions, as GL did heavy reseach on all of them. For an in-depth look into Star Wars and the Jedi and their philosophy, I recommend (ironically titled) Star Wars and Philosphy. Surprise on that name. Anyways, the book is part of a series of books that takes popular culture and picks it apart via philosophy. It's an excellent read and easy to follow along without losing grasp of the whole picture.

Otherwise, all you'd find on here are people's opinions, informed or no, and it devolves into a pissing contest.

Darth_Frobo
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
maybe the "church" religions are not satasfying to me?

maybe I dont believe in what they say...

there are many reasons. The "jedi" religion followers have the same rights as you do. they can believe what they want.

plus, I've seen no evidence that Christianity is anything more then "fiction" as you call it...

that goes for all religions.

so please dont bash peoples beliefs. no matter if you agree with them or not. it makes you seem stupid. Even if thier faith is based upon a "fictional" movie. the morals implied by this movie are not sessassarly false, and perhaps they are good for living your lives...who knows.

apparently these people think so.

While I agree that we shouldn't be bashing each others belief the statement christianity is no more then fiction. Is not only a bash but also an uneducated one.

There is substantial proof that jesus christ did exist, and there are millions around the world that would admit there is a very spiritual element. what would you trust evolution? sorry but science has repeatedly disproven many evolutionist ideas and the scientific community in general beleives in the cambrian explosion which actually supports creationist ideas which are also very logical. I have no conflict with people who beleive evolution I have many atheist friends, I have no problems with people beleiving what they want, so please don't be bashing organized religion when there's an equal if not greater lack of proof for other beliefs.

Atlantis001
Well thought. Chirstianity is just like Star wars, the only difference is that Star Wars is a movie, and chirstianity is a book. We just need to write the Jedi philosophies in a book, and call it bible or something else, so it can have the same status as other religions.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Well thought. Chirstianity is just like Star wars, the only difference is that Star Wars is a movie, and chirstianity is a book. We just need to write the Jedi philosophies in a book, and call it bible or something else, so it can have the same status as other religions.

I wonder if it's been done already.

I did a quick look to see. Here are some sites, there must be others. I didn't look really close at these, just thought I would see what I could get with a fast search.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=4170746#post4170746
http://www.forceacademy.com/Light/Jedi_lecture10.htm
http://p102.ezboard.com/bjedioutreach
http://ceh.kitoba.com/topics/jedi.html

JediMusician
This thread should not become an attack on Christianity. For one thing, it is not the Jedi way. To criticize something because you disagree with it is not only an attachment, but a display of ignorance.
So, back to topic--the pros and cons of this "philosophical interpretation of the Force religion."
First, and most difficult, what is this Force idealism about?
Every person has their own viewpoint here. Mine is to be aware of life and the connectivity of all things. Life is energy, there is an energy field where ever life exists. You can call it the Force, or something else. This energy field doesn't care about anything, it just exists. So to say it has a will is a bit of a stretch, but okay-just go with it. If you call it a will, its limited to just being objective. To know something objectively is to know it as the Force knows it, so to do the Force's will, you must act without bias. You must act without emotion, ignorance, or passion.
Greed leading to self destruction is but one example of how an emotional attachment can take you places you don't want to go.
He has no need to attack. There is often need to defend. Defense doesn't always mean violence, defense can be spoken or written as well. You should always defend yourself, and those not able to defend themselves. Violence is sometimes necessary, only as a last resort. Always know that no matter how bad someone seems, they can be redeemed. Never give up hope for your fellow man, for when he is lost is when he most needs a guide.
Violence to acheive peace rarely lasts for long, it is always preferable to acheive peace through communication. This is not always possible, so you should be prepared for violence, though not obviously so. If you go looking for a fight, you will find one. That is not the goal of the jedi. Know always that killing in wrong. One may kill in self defense, or the defense of others, but only if there is no other way to stop the conflict; and even then it is still wrong--even when it is necessary, it is still wrong. To take a life is to stain your spirit, and it cannot be made up for, so don't try. That would be passion, and ignorant.
Meditation is crucial to the life of a jedi. Or at least a time of quiet introspection each day. Examine your actions to see if you are truly being objective. Rate yourself without bias, and seek to be more objective the following day. If you discover you have done something contrary to the will of the Force (objectivity), you may be able to rectify the matter by reapproaching it without bias.
I don't know how much more detail I can offer, so I'll stop.
Bring on your hate, now. Or don't. I will respond fairly if I respond.

archangel101
i think that conflict is a necessity it forces people and nations to become better as said by the sith

also the Jedi view the force as the end to end while the sith view the force as the means to get to ends, that power is only given to those who chase it and thereby make themselves worthy.

greed does lead to self destruction, but greed starts off with ambition which we all know to be fundamentally needed to go from day to day

the force does not take sides neither is it light or dark there are just the powers and those who use them make themselves light or dark
for example a Jedi could use force lightning without giving to the dark side

i personally believe that the Jedi are scared of the dark and you cannot have light without dark and visa versa you need both to succeed with the force

but the pacifist view of the jedi is weak since you cannot advance without the possibility of war or war itself

Digi

Is that happening here? It's the philosophy forum after all, not religion.

Also, there's a fallacy whose name I forget at work here, where you're implying that we should dismiss any ideas that come from "Jedi philosophy" simply because it's based on a fictional universe. To a non-religious person, both modern religions and Star Wars are equally man-made and fictitious, so the points they make are equal in their potential merit.

Kinda like shakya said, there's not much in Jedi that can't be found from other, non-fiction religions or creeds. That said, lightsabers make it way more badass. There's actually a LOT more to Jedi philosophy and its following than the OP suggests. it's a very interesting cultural phenomenon.

inimalist
the better criticism would be not that the Jedi philosophy is meaningless because it is fiction, but because it is a gross generalization of several branches of eastern philosophical traditions

King Kandy
I don't think that's necessarily right either; you could claim something is dumbed down, or it could just as easily be seen as "stripped down to the essentials", in a positive, syncretic way.

inimalist
I'm not saying having Star Wars with an overly complex jedi philosophy would be better, in fact I agree it is probably better stripped down. All I'm saying is that if one really wanted to have a go at it, that might be the best place to start.

King Kandy
I see whether a religion is old or new as having no bearing on its quality, just personally. I think they should be judged only on the merit of their ideas.

Darth Truculent
"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."

That is actually the Jedi Philosophy. "There is 'no why' is subtext of the Jedi Philosophy. It a difficult concept to understand and really, you can't fully understand it. Basically what I believe, is that the Jedi Philosophy is the mastery of your mind and emotions.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power I gain victory.
Through victory my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me."

The Sith Philosophy is based strictly on passion and the attainment of power. Whereas the Jedi Philosophy believes in the mastery of the mind and emotions, the Sith Philosophy is based on 'the ends justify the means.'

Hope this helps . . .

ADarksideJedi
It is really a bunch of Religions mixed up together.

Digi
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

The same could be said of most religions.

srug

ADarksideJedi
Some but not alot.

Digi

Some but not alot.

Generalize much?

And yes, a lot.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Digi
Is that happening here? It's the philosophy forum after all, not religion.

Also, there's a fallacy whose name I forget at work here, where you're implying that we should dismiss any ideas that come from "Jedi philosophy" simply because it's based on a fictional universe. To a non-religious person, both modern religions and Star Wars are equally man-made and fictitious, so the points they make are equal in their potential merit.

Kinda like shakya said, there's not much in Jedi that can't be found from other, non-fiction religions or creeds. That said, lightsabers make it way more badass. There's actually a LOT more to Jedi philosophy and its following than the OP suggests. it's a very interesting cultural phenomenon. You're responding to a post that is literally 6 years old.

Noobslice.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Digi
Generalize much?

And yes, a lot.

Which ones?Most of Religons are base on God and not nature.But only some like the jedi one is base on nature.

King Kandy
Which ones?Most of Religons are base on God and not nature.But only some like the jedi one is base on nature.
No, he's saying most religions are made up of earlier religions. Not that most are nature-worshiping.

ADarksideJedi
Oh then yes that is true.

Digi
What Kandy said. There's nothing about Nature in your original post that I replied to.

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
You're responding to a post that is literally 6 years old.

Noobslice.

No no, he needed to feel rebuked 6 years later. He was due.

uhuh

Deja~vu
Even Catholicism is made up of older religions, sorry but it is.

ADarksideJedi
It is actly really old not of todays times.

Deja~vu
It's all about the Sun God, The Sun of Righteousness.

Worship the Sun God for he is the Fun God
RA RA RA!

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Deja~vu
It's all about the Sun God, The Sun of Righteousness.

Worship the Sun God for he is the Fun God
RA RA RA! Ever since I read a shorstory by Neil Gaiman involving Ra, I haven't been Ra's biggest fan.

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by King Kandy
I see whether a religion is old or new as having no bearing on its quality, just personally. I think they should be judged only on the merit of their ideas. That's kind of tough to evaluate though, innit? erm

Digi
Originally posted by King Kandy
I see whether a religion is old or new as having no bearing on its quality, just personally. I think they should be judged only on the merit of their ideas.

But surely the "merit" of claiming the unique truth of a particular creator being and worldview is undermined by other similar and/or identical preceding claims, no? I think it's more interrelated than you're suggesting.

Grate the Vraya
Thasss wha I said! .-.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Grate the Vraya
Ever since I read a shorstory by Neil Gaiman involving Ra, I haven't been Ra's biggest fan. We'll rewrite history like it's done all the time and start a new Sun God church. I'll print up T-shirts. RA RA RA..He's the fun God after all! cool

alltoomany
Why is the question that keeps us going Without "why" we would loose hope. No hope brings on depression and the will to live

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.