Parallels between the trilogies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
Lets play a game where you come up with as many aspects of the PT as possible that remind you of the OT. I'll start:

Obi-Wan cutting of a bad guy's arm in the bar/in the cantina

"Anakin, release her."/"Vader, release him."

"We can rule the galaxy just the way we wanted."/"We can rule the galaxy as father and son."

Obi-Wan hiding from Jango behind an asteroid/Han hiding from Boba behind the star destroyer

"There's still good in him."/"There's still good in you."

THEJEDIMASTER
wow dis is hard... umm i cant dink of any no expression

Robin Darkside
Palpy

"I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, makes you stronger" / "I can feel your anger, take your jedi weapon, strike me down with it, and your journey towards the darkside will be complete"

Rebel Racer
Ani / Han

"This is where the fun begins / Here's where the fun begins"

matreid
Obi's "hello there!" to GG in ROTS and then to R2 in ANH.

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by matreid
Obi's "hello there!" to GG in ROTS and then to R2 in ANH.

laughing I like that one, well both of them

Director_Joe
Or the one where Jango hits his head when he's going into his ship and the stormtrooper hits his head in ANH...

mephistodesigns
Episodes 1 & 4: A small "nobody" is lightly taught about the force, thrown into a galactic conflict, and destroys something they shouldn't be able to destroy based on their assumed skill levels. Both also involve trying to find a way off Tatooine. The two masters (Jinn/Kenobi) who introduce the heroes (Ani/Luke) to the force both die during a fight with a Sith lord, and end up guiding their friends after their deaths. Both PM and ANH have very similar ending shots.

Episodes 2 & 5: Both involve the heroes being separated, one group/jedi goes on one adventure, the other goes on an inward journey. Luke's inward journey/test is the cave, Anakin's test is his mother's death, both fail their tests due to anger. Both Heroes (Ani/Luke) rush to face a Sith Lord they are not prepared to face and it costs both of them a limb. Another parallel is how Ani and Luke both race off to save loved ones and it costs them both dearly. Truths are revealed that are hard to accept: Dooku tells Obi-wan that a Sith is controling the Senate, not a big deal to us because we know what's coming, but still a huge impact on Obi-wan, who reacts in denial, parallels with Luke learning Vader is his father. Both Obi-wan and Luke learn a truth that changes their views on the world they live in, making it seem more dangerous and more disorieting. Both ESB and AOTC have a love that is at first denied, but palpable none the less, which is then fully out in the open when the lovers are faced with potential death. Again, both films have similar ending shots, Luke and Leia together, literally staring off into space with the droids nearby, AOTC ending with Anakin and Padme looking out over the water, with the droids nearby.

Episode 3&6: Both films first half hours resolve a "side" plot to the actual characters real challenges: The Clone Wars and rescuing Han and ending the business with Jabba. Both of the situations are used as a way to show how much our Heroes (Ani/Luke) have developed in power between the last movie and the current one. Both Luke and Ani are given more truths, with concrete evidence to their truth, which they both must then deal with. Luke is told Anakin is in fact Darth Vader, and the real story behind Vader, Anakin is told his father figure/mentor Palpatine is actually the Sith lord Darth Sidious. The key difference here is Luke reacts with a loving response, "I can't kill my own father" and realises he wants to redeem Anakin. In ROTS, Anakin reacts with violence about the truths he's presented with. In both ROTS and ROTJ, Anakin is faced with a choice, kill a jedi or kill a sith? In ROTS he kills the Jedi, in ROTJ, the Sith. These two films end very differently since one signifies the end of good, the other the end of bad.

Episodes 1 & 6: Both films have an end battle of primitives vs technology. Both contain a Jedi's funeral where they are burned on a pyre.

DeVi| D0do
Episodes I & VI: Both contain a sequence at the end of the film where a space battle, lightsaber duel, and ground battle are intercut.

benskywalker88
Here's a few:

EP III Palpatine: 'And we shall have peace.'

EP VI Palpatine: 'Along with your pitiful friends.'

EP III Anakin: 'You underestimate my power!'

EP V Vader: 'You underestimate the power of the darkside!'

EP III Anakin: 'General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected.'

EP IV Leia: 'Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?'

EP III Palpatine: 'Search your feelings, you know...don't you?'

EP V Vader: 'Search your feelings...you know it to be true.'

Darth_Nefarus
In episodes 3 and 6 each young Skywalker battles a taunitng Sith Lord while Sidious watches from a chair, which happens to look the same in both movies. Also, the Sith Lord loses at least one hand from the duel.

Obi-OneManShow
1...Chase sequences:
TPM Pod Race "I don't care what planet you're from..."
AOTC Coruscant Speeder/Asteroid Chase "I hate it when he does that"
ROTS Grievous Wheelbike
ANH Trench Run "We're going in full throttle"
ESB Asteroid Chase "Never tell me the odds!"
ROTJ Speeder Bikes "Keep on that one, I'll take these two"
(note the asteroid chases in AOTC/ESB)

2...Heroes face monster(s)
TPM Planet core "There's always a bigger fish"
AOTC Geonosis "You take the one on the right"
ROTS (Only exception, unless someone can prove me wrong)
ANH Dianoga "It's worse"
ESB Wampa/R2 Swamp Monster/Space Slug "This is no cave"
ROTJ Rancor/Sarlaac "Free us... or die"

3...3PO losing limbs
AOTC "I'm quit beside myself"
ANH "I must've taken a bad step"
ESB "Oh my... I'm terribly sorry... I didn't mean to... oh no no please don't..."
ROTJ "Oh my eyes, artoo, do something!"

4...I have a bad feeling about this
TPM Obi-Wan/Trade Federation Ship
AOTC Anakin/Arena
ROTS Obi-Wan/Coruscant Battle
ANH Luke/That's no moon... + Han/Trash Compactor
ESB Leia/Inside space slug
ROTJ Han/Ewok dinner

5...R2 saves the day
TPM Hyperdrive "That little droid did it!"
AOTC Droid Factory
ROTS General Grievous Flagship
ANH Trash Compactor "Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level!"
ESB Fixes hyperdrive/"Fire extinguisher" cloud
ROTJ Fires Luke's lightsaber

Now I dare anyone to come up with a complete list of lost limbs!

DarkAge
Another one.

"Your focus determines your reality."--Qui-Gonn/"You'll find that many truths depend on our point of view."--Obi-Wan

benskywalker88
Lol, ok I'll try my best to name all the limbs that have been lost, any1's free to improve the list lol:

EP I: Maul lost both legs.

EP II: Anakin lost one arm and no doubt the tusken raiders lost several limbs during the slaughter.

EP III (Brace yourselves lol): Dooku lost both hands, Mace lost one arm, younglings lost many limbs during the attack on the Jedi Temple and finally Anakin lost both legs and one arm!

EP IV: Random Cantina alien lost an arm.

EP V: Luke lost his hand.

EP VI: Aliens on the sail barge lost several limbs and Vader lost his hand (which mirrors Dooku losing his hands and then Anakin choosing to kill him whereas Luke cuts off Vader's hand but decides not to kill him.)

I may have missed out a few there and I wasn't including any random battle droids/stormtroopers, only actual characters and if anyone wants to add to this list or make a list of heads lost go ahead lol!

OB1-adobe
It is true what GL stated: that basically Luke and Anikan live a parallel life.

Both had visions of there loved ones in pain, and both had to make a choice that would shape their destiny.

grey fox
not only that but both luke and anakin whine like hell

brendy
i suppose grievous lost two hands.....does that count

oh and that bounty hunter in EP II Xen or something??? lost her arm by ob1

peejay88
erm dodgy haircuts??

jerlark386
Originally posted by benskywalker88
Lol, ok I'll try my best to name all the limbs that have been lost, any1's free to improve the list lol:

EP I: Maul lost both legs.

EP II: Anakin lost one arm and no doubt the tusken raiders lost several limbs during the slaughter.

EP III (Brace yourselves lol): Dooku lost both hands, Mace lost one arm, younglings lost many limbs during the attack on the Jedi Temple and finally Anakin lost both legs and one arm!

EP IV: Random Cantina alien lost an arm.

EP V: Luke lost his hand.

EP VI: Aliens on the sail barge lost several limbs and Vader lost his hand (which mirrors Dooku losing his hands and then Anakin choosing to kill him whereas Luke cuts off Vader's hand but decides not to kill him.)

I may have missed out a few there and I wasn't including any random battle droids/stormtroopers, only actual characters and if anyone wants to add to this list or make a list of heads lost go ahead lol!

You forgot Mace Windu(ep3). *gasp*

benskywalker88

As you can see I didn't forget Mace in EP III actually!

dflood
boba and jango die in a sandy area .

they both die infront of an audience who are ready to be entertained

Darth Panzerus
1) (Not exactly sure of the wording)
Han in EPV: I don't have time to discuss this in a committee
(escaping from asteroid slug)
Amidala in Ep1: I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this in a committee! (addressing the Senate)

2) R2 in EPVI: R2 gets hit by a stormtrooper trying to open the shield bunker and goes nuts
R2 in EPIII: R2 "distracts" General Grievous when Ani and Obi are captured and sent to the bridge.

3) In EPIII: Palpatine's confrontation with a great Jedi ends with Anakin joining the dark side
In EPVI: Palpatine's confrontation with a great Jedi ends with Anaking leaving the dark side

PloKoon Forever
all the "I have a bad feeling about this"s

and padme's hair in ROTS (buns)and leia AnH (buns)

when anakin killed dooku(ROTS), it looked like when vader and luke dueled in ROTJ, old guy sitting there telling a skywalker to kill someone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.