Daredevil The Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nigel45
Alright, I saw this when it first came out and I thought it sucked.

Then I watched it a few days ago, and didn't think it was that bad.

Question is: What the hell is wrong with me?

Am I just developing a soft spot for bad comic book movies? (see my Steel: The Movie thread) Or is there anyone else who thought THIS movie wasn't AS bad as it is now historically known for being.

Please....h-help me...

armandovalles
This movie will go down in the hall of fame as the worst movie ever.

Wanderer259
I heard the Director's Cut actually makes it a decent movie, and I've always been of the opinion that Ben Affleck would be a great Daredevil if the writing in the movie hadn't been so bad.

nigel45
Originally posted by Wanderer259
I heard the Director's Cut actually makes it a decent movie, and I've always been of the opinion that Ben Affleck would be a great Daredevil if the writing in the movie hadn't been so bad.

My god...that might be it.

I'll have to check my friend's dvd sometime, cause I think it may have been the directors cut version.

I still think I'm getting weak in my old age and giving crappy movies too much credit, but at least this provides some answers.

Thanks.

jrodslam
I dont think it was bad at all. Actually, I liked it. I liked it alot better than Hulk.

I did hear that the Directors Cut is much better bacause the main storyline was cut out(Coolios innocence) and Kingpin had more of a character development(not much). Also the Elektra love thing was shortened.

The director of the movie was bitching cause he had to cut out about 45 min for the movie to be released. The directors Cut plays the whole thing. I plan on getting it sometime this week.

armandovalles
so did i. But thats cuz Hulk has no storyline. All the movie was was Hulk throwing stuff around.

jinzin
for some reason i didn't find this movie too bad myself....I actually liked it.....of course it was one of the few new wave comic book movies to come out...having to have settled for movies like batman and robin, and the gulp old fantastic four previously...I guess this was just a blessing more than anything...ben affleck wasn't even that bad....I think it's hilarious that him and matt damon are getting more and more badass roles to play though...laughing out loud

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by armandovalles
so did i. But thats cuz Hulk has no storyline. All the movie was was Hulk throwing stuff around.

No, I think that it had everything else then Hulk. He turned into Hulk for like, three times.

Paola
now you like it? confused1

weird comic fans... weird wacko weird....

DarkCrawler
We are not weird!

Just peculiar.

mr.smiley
I liked it.

nigel45
Originally posted by Paola
now you like it? confused1

weird comic fans... weird wacko weird....

Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing.

Hey, if you all liked the original version, I would definitely suggest the Director's Cut (that is the version I saw). I disliked the original and enjoyed this one, so you guys might love it.

ScarletSpider
I thought the movie had it's moments, but was nothing spectacular, I have heard good things about the Director's Cut, and would like to pick it up sometime. I just didn't like how the movie looked. It was dark and grainy, like they had used bad quality film. Now, I can understand wanting a darker mood for Hell's Kitchen and whatnot, but there's a different between moods and themes, and just plain bad quality. The cinematography is b-movie level at times.

Mainstream
I liked it never saw the director cut...it was okay a strong B movie

Leafar
If you want to have sex with Jennifer Garner, then I highly recommend seeing Daredevil. laughing

A director's cut DVD means that the theatrical release sucked. Other notable director cut DVD's include Highlander II and King Arthur, both of them sucked major ass. sick

Joker1237
I thought it was decent.
Daredevil is far from the worse movie of all time.

Batman and Robin,
Yor the Hunter.
Mutant.

Paola
Originally posted by Leafar
If you want to have sex with Jennifer Garner, then I highly recommend seeing Daredevil. laughing

A director's cut DVD means that the theatrical release sucked. Other notable director cut DVD's include Highlander II and King Arthur, both of them sucked major ass. sick

I saw it and didn't had that opportunity messed

Scoobless
i didn't think DD was that bad........ in fact i bought it when it came out

-waits to be stoned by the peasants for his blasphemy-

roll eyes (sarcastic)

pr1983
i bought the soundtrack... i feel so dirty...

RogueGambitdare
I liked Daredevil. It was a good movie. But it had it's downpoints.

ScarletSpider
I thought it was mediocre, but had it's good and bad points. They should just start all over, which Avi Arad said they wanted to do, if they could wrest the movie rights away from whomever has them, and make it a Marvel Enterprise Film.

I just wish they'd get the costumes better in comic book films. DD's wasn't so bad (though I think kevlar would have been better than leather). But look at Batman Begins, he looks retarded in that costume, in my opinion. Batman's costume should be easy to replicate using kevlar and other protective fabrics, with bits of leather here and there (gloves, boots).

jrodslam
I posted earlier in the thread saying that I also liked DD. Yesterday, I bought the Directors Cut. The DC is more of a whole movie. Remember the director said that he had to cut DD tremendously for the theatrical release. I poped the movie in at 12:30 and it didnt end till almost 3:00. The DC is 133 min long!

Id say the main story line was with Coolio. DD showed his detective skills as well. I liked it even more than the original. Im not just saying that cause im a DD fan, but because it was a nice improvement. I recomend anyone to see it.

nigel45
Originally posted by jrodslam
I posted earlier in the thread saying that I also liked DD. Yesterday, I bought the Directors Cut. The DC is more of a whole movie. Remember the director said that he had to cut DD tremendously for the theatrical release. I poped the movie in at 12:30 and it didnt end till almost 3:00. The DC is 133 min long!

Id say the main story line was with Coolio. DD showed his detective skills as well. I liked it even more than the original. Im not just saying that cause im a DD fan, but because it was a nice improvement. I recomend anyone to see it.

So do I.

I have to admit, I thought I'd be run out of town for saying that I liked any cut of this movie. I guess it's a relief that others did as well.

chucktaylor
Is it worth getting?

Next Venom_girl
I liked the Daredevil movie. I don't see why people don't like it... then again I've never read any of the Daredevil comics... so... sweatdrop

nigel45
Originally posted by chucktaylor
Is it worth getting?

In my opinion, the Directors Cut is worth it, but the original cut isn't.

cameron666
DareDevil is my favorite comic book movie

chucktaylor
thanks, im going to get it in the weekend, no matter how old it already is...

GGgrievous725
it was a b rated movie kingpin was never even close to being black

cameron666
Who cares if the guy who played Kingpin was black? He did better than any white guy could have done. I take that as a racist remark.

black robb
Originally posted by cameron666
Who cares if the guy who played Kingpin was black? He did better than any white guy could have done. I take that as a racist remark. its not racist,i think he's just saying that for such an important character as Kingpin they should get someone who is at least the right skin color. I personally didnt care,however. But something more important...DID YOU KNOW THAT COOLIO IS IN THE DIRECTOR'S CUT OF DAREDEVIL!? that makes me want to rent the movie!(or buy a bootleg)

mr.smiley
No white man who is an actor could have pulled it off.

nigel45
Originally posted by mr.smiley
No white man who is an actor could have pulled it off.

Maybe an unknown could have, but you're right, I think as far as A-List actors go Michael Clarke Duncan was the bestman for the job regardless of his skin color. Could be open for debate though if someone points out an actor I didn't think about.

nigel45
Originally posted by cameron666
Who cares if the guy who played Kingpin was black? He did better than any white guy could have done. I take that as a racist remark.

lol, and "he did better than any white guy could have done" is supposed to make us all hold hands under a rainbow?

Don't get me wrong, I think he did a great job with the role (and as you can see from my above post) he was most likely the best guy for it.

roughrider
Haven't seen Director's Cut.
Hey, they went with Duncan because he was right for the part, and because the Kingpin is basically a racially-neutral character; he's not defined by his ethnicity. Like how Billy Dee Williams played Harvey Dent in the first Batman.
The movie itself had a lot of the right elements, but silly ones too. I hated that rock soundtrack; and what's with that bed with the black liquid? If he couldn't control his hearing power by then, he'd be insane. Why not earplugs? Mark Steven Johnson still doesn't cut it as a director to me, but they gave him GHOST RIDER anyway. Sigh.
It was a big enough hit, they should make another - someone who'll bring the C.Nolan touch. ninja

adscrawler
he dident have a very big buget for daredevil,dont juge him till we,ve seen ghostrider!!!

Etrigan
It was better than Hulk. It was better than Elektra.

But it really wasn't that good. It had up-points (the feel of the movie) and it's downpoints (Ben Affleck, Ben Affleck, and Ben Affleck.) But the Director's Cut isn't bad.

roughrider
I still admire Hulk. But it was a bit too arty for it's own good - all the split screen effects; after the prologue, they should have eliminated them.
Daredevil had problems, but I thought the casting was great all around. Not having as large a budget as Spider-Man is not the reason for it's problems. That should have been a strength - less can be more. Be less superhero-like, and get closer to the street. They even managed to be faithful to the costume, and make it look real on screen instead of silly.

Now, we may not see DD again unless it's a Marvel Knights film...?

Wally West
I didn't mind DareDevil when it was released, it was better than most people gave it credit for. No where near the worst comic book movie, not even close, but it did have flaws. The Director's Cut is actually a very good film, you can see just how much the studio messed about with the version released in cinemas.

jrodslam
Yea. I never disliked the original like some of my friends did, but i like the DC much more. It just seems more complete. I still watch it till this day.

chucktaylor
To me these are my ratings for the Marvel movies:

1) Spider-Man 2
2) X-Men 2
3) Spider-Man
4) Fantastic Four
5) X-Men
6) Daredevil
7) Punisher
8) Hulk
9) Elektra

To me, Daredevil ranks pretty well...wink

jediknight337
I will say the movie that came out in theaters did suck, but the director's cut i thought was really good

SnakeEyes
Blade should be on there.

Swanky-Tuna
I thought it had its moments. Bullseye's methods of killing were funny but I thought Colin Farrell looked incredibly stupid. And the fight with Kingpin was just hilarious. Especially the faceplant into the glass.

I have a question though, does Daredevil normally blab to everyone about his powers or does he try to make Matt Murdock look like a normal blind guy?

jrodslam
He tries to keep his powers a secret. He usually only tells his allies and close friends. Most people truly think Matt is blind and doesnt have any powers at all.

Knightfall93
Originally posted by roughrider
Haven't seen Director's Cut.
Hey, they went with Duncan because he was right for the part, and because the Kingpin is basically a racially-neutral character; he's not defined by his ethnicity. Like how Billy Dee Williams played Harvey Dent in the first Batman.
The movie itself had a lot of the right elements, but silly ones too. I hated that rock soundtrack; and what's with that bed with the black liquid? If he couldn't control his hearing power by then, he'd be insane. Why not earplugs? Mark Steven Johnson still doesn't cut it as a director to me, but they gave him GHOST RIDER anyway. Sigh.
It was a big enough hit, they should make another - someone who'll bring the C.Nolan touch. ninja Take that back! billy dee Williams as harv was the worst casting choice since... Pat wossname as Jim Gordon! How can a black guy play a very white charactere? So they were going to have a black two Face wre thy!? That would sucK balls, that's one thing that I REALLY HATE about B89...

Knightfall93
I havent seen DD but I think I'll jst buy the DC and ignore teh original because it sounds really crap!

redcaped
This movie is the best from DC & Marvel. Part 2?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.