Terminator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

basementred
is it horror or action

Cinemaddiction
Before anyone decides to lay into him, refrain from insulting his spelling. It's immature.

To answer your question, "The Terminator" is Sci-Fi.

basementred
i know my spelling is bad i forgot to us a spellcheck, and i was just asking because the first looked more horror to me

BackFire
The first one definately has some major horror aspects in it.

Also, I went ahead and fixed the spelling for you.

basementred
thanks BF

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by basementred
i know my spelling is bad i forgot to us a spellcheck, and i was just asking because the first looked more horror to me

In the death stalker aspect..sure..

BackFire
I'd say its tone and atmosphere are very much "horror"

Wolfie
Agreed. Also in the cutting out the eye scene. Very horror-ish.

Cinemaddiction
Still not enough to be considered a true horror, because it's a robot from the future sent to destroy someone to insure the uprising of the machines.

papabeard
Terminator felt like a sci-fi movie to me, Alien felt like a horror movie.

Wolfie
Yeah, Terminator is a sci-fi movie with somewhat of a horror feel in some places.

BackFire
I'd consider it a sci fi/horror hybrid, the tone, atmosphere and general plot device (a big mean thing going around killing people) is all blatantly horror, the only thing that's sci fi is the backstory.

eggmayo
Yeah... it can't be stopped, cant be reasoned with.. pretty horrific.

Jordanb
terminator a horror? i think not its an action, and its 5|-|17 lol

eggmayo
Yeah, read the thread dear.

Jordanb
No! im outraged

eggmayo
Originally posted by Jordanb
No! im outraged
*Calls the cops*

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BackFire
I'd consider it a sci fi/horror hybrid, the tone, atmosphere and general plot device (a big mean thing going around killing people) is all blatantly horror, the only thing that's sci fi is the backstory.

What about the fact that he's from the future, and a a robot? "Schindler's List" had a Horror tone, where millions of people were executed unlawfully. Just because people are killed maliciously in a movie doesn't mean its got a hardcore Horror element. Atleast not to me, when the rooted elements outweigh it.

Lord_Andres
I agree with BF and Wolfie, see its only the back story, besides from that its a Ahnuuld playing Jason or Michael, they could have said its a undead from the future and he cant be killed

BackFire
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
What about the fact that he's from the future, and a a robot? "Schindler's List" had a Horror tone, where millions of people were executed unlawfully. Just because people are killed maliciously in a movie doesn't mean its got a hardcore Horror element. Atleast not to me, when the rooted elements outweigh it.

Well there wasn't a definitive stalker in Schindlers as there is in Terminator.

Like I said, it's mostly the tone and atmosphere of the movie that makes it horror or not.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BackFire
Well there wasn't a definitive stalker in Schindlers as there is in Terminator.

Like I said, it's mostly the tone and atmosphere of the movie that makes it horror or not.

Stalker, no. Killer, yes. Hitler, lol.

I dunno if I fully buy what you guys are getting at. The tone and how you react to the film is that of an Action/Adventure, IMO. Atmosphere, perhaps, but only in the creepy stalker aspect. But how can anyone ignore the STORYLINE and CHARACTERS when deciding what genre the movie ultimately belongs in. The Terminator was A ROBOT. He was from THE FUTURE! He was sent to insure the uprising and subsequent ruling for the MACHINES! George Pal's "War of the Worlds" had robots that came to Earth to kill people and make it their new home. Is that Horror? No way, it's classic Sci-Fi which layed the groundwork for films such as this. "This Island Earth"? Exter stalked then stole the U.S. top scientists for his plans to obliterate Earth. Killing off the world? That's sadistic, and sadism is an element of horror, doesn't mean it IS horror though!

Sure, it has an element or two, but they're obsolete when you take into account the big picture, being the storyline and characters. With the mentality you guys are going on, there are MILLIONS of movies that could potentially be labeled "horror" loosely. When you start questioning classic films is when it gets ridiculous, though, especially when they mean so much to their designated, long standing genres.

Hope what I said made a little sense..I think the Sci Fi fan in me kicked the Horror fan in me's ass..

kmcdude
I totaaly agree with cinema addiction...........Cant see horror in it at all actually lol

BackFire
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Stalker, no. Killer, yes. Hitler, lol.

I dunno if I fully buy what you guys are getting at. The tone and how you react to the film is that of an Action/Adventure, IMO. Atmosphere, perhaps, but only in the creepy stalker aspect. But how can anyone ignore the STORYLINE and CHARACTERS when deciding what genre the movie ultimately belongs in. The Terminator was A ROBOT. He was from THE FUTURE! He was sent to insure the uprising and subsequent ruling for the MACHINES! George Pal's "War of the Worlds" had robots that came to Earth to kill people and make it their new home. Is that Horror? No way, it's classic Sci-Fi which layed the groundwork for films such as this. "This Island Earth"? Exter stalked then stole the U.S. top scientists for his plans to obliterate Earth. Killing off the world? That's sadistic, and sadism is an element of horror, doesn't mean it IS horror though!

Sure, it has an element or two, but they're obsolete when you take into account the big picture, being the storyline and characters. With the mentality you guys are going on, there are MILLIONS of movies that could potentially be labeled "horror" loosely. When you start questioning classic films is when it gets ridiculous, though, especially when they mean so much to their designated, long standing genres.

Hope what I said made a little sense..I think the Sci Fi fan in me kicked the Horror fan in me's ass..

I think you misunderstood, keep in mind I never said it was a straight on horror film, I claimed it was a sci fi/horror hybrid. It has, IMO, the atmosphere and tone of a horror film with what could be a villainous personallity similar to that in a horror film, with the story and characters pure sci fi.

As I've said before, I'm pretty leniant when it comes to my definition of horror, to me, a horror film is a film that inflicts strong negative emotions on the viewer, whether it be fear, disgust, anguish, pain, etc. Pretty much any movie that horrifies you (hence the title of the genre, horror) in some way. It's for this reason that I feel a lot of movies have some type of horror element that normally don't fit into the simple constraints of the genre (I.E. Irreversible, Requiem for a Dream, Men Behind the Sun). I think Terminator is meant to frighten viewers, frankly, it's a scary idea that's done beautifully, hence, why I feel it's a Scifi/horror hybrid.

Konjammenson
There is a terminator forum.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
I agree with BF and Wolfie, see its only the back story, besides from that its a Ahnuuld playing Jason or Michael, they could have said its a undead from the future and he cant be killed
Yes, I see it as if Jason was a robot.

It has some horror aspects to it but not enough to classify it as horror.

Cinemaddiction
That's all I was getting at, and I know that you weren't implying it was s traight up Horror, BF. I just didn't see enough in it for it to be split down the middle, or a hybrid, because there are tons of movies like that, and it ends up really taking the piss out of the movies true genre, and its fans, IMO.

BREN
the terminator has horrific elements to it i must agree,not just the violence which having watched again on saturday night after not seeing it in some years,forgot how violent it was the hand thru the guys chest at the start etc,i think the horror element is being stalk by a relentless, unstopable, remorseless killer ,definetly an horror element but in the most part the movie is as said here a sci/fi action movie and a very well made 1 for its meagre budget smile

GGgrievous725
i think it was like the alien movies it started out a horror but as the movies went on it became an action

papabeard
It's very similar in form and structure to a stalk and slash film like the later friday's , with the unstoppable killer. But imo the subject matter and storyline give it the overall feel of a sci-fi film.

beta-wolf_101
Terminator I classifed as all three horror/sci-fi/action is a triple threat come on.

jnr hiphop
I never really thought of it as a horror. I mean, Terminator, it's just a mean killing machine. That's about it, don't we always see people killing one another? Well, that's just my point of view. roll eyes (sarcastic)

@F1
If someone said, name me 10 or even 50 Horror movies beginning with 'T', Terminator wouldn't cross my mind.

b-dan
action/si-fi man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.