Which Gotham was better?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mdbull73
Which Gotham city was better--Bat Begins or the other Batman movies?

mdbull73
Batman Begins was scarier and darker.

Only out of place item I thought was the monorail.

Mr Parker
Begins makes the gothem city from 89 look like a joke.You couldnt even see what you were looking at most the time for the gothem look of 89.

NoFate007
I have to admit that I like the new one better, but if they had kept the Gotham look from Batman and Batman Returns, I'd be ok with it.

Batman Forever/Batman & Robin...however......

WindDancer
Gotham in Batman (1989) is very artistic and fill with more fantasy and imagination. Gotham in Begins looks very industrial and it resembles Metropolis quite a bit. Both were equally better.

mdbull73
I like the Island idea. That was something new.

I think the 1989 Gotham was OK, but it wasn't as slimy and dark as the new GOtham.

Red Superfly
Burtons Gotham seemed very cold. It was dank, yes, but it always seeemed like it was freezing.

Begins Gotham just seemed real. What I really liked about it was the apparent "levels" it had. From the sky, it seemed powerful and strong, with skyscrapers looking like they were the only buildings that mattered, but at the bottom it had a horrible, deadly, street level that just seemed hostile and scary.

mdbull73
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Burtons Gotham seemed very cold. It was dank, yes, but it always seeemed like it was freezing.

Begins Gotham just seemed real. What I really liked about it was the apparent "levels" it had. From the sky, it seemed powerful and strong, with skyscrapers looking like they were the only buildings that mattered, but at the bottom it had a horrible, deadly, street level that just seemed hostile and scary.

I agree. Well stated.

Sileas
someone in another thread questioned an opera house being in the middle of a scary area. specifically, how could they step out of the opera house into a place that looked like gang/drugs central? could someone from new york check in on this? i am kinda assuming, by the way, that gotham is basically new york by another name (gotham is a real world nickname for NYC, anyway).

very much liked this one. real real real! I do have an affection for parts of the Forever movie, but the city was.....hideous. Begins was hideous but in all the right ways, a real hideousness. no neon paint on the bums or the buildings, no silly giant statues, just real people and real buildings and real batman.

pr1983
Originally posted by Sileas
someone in another thread questioned an opera house being in the middle of a scary area. specifically, how could they step out of the opera house into a place that looked like gang/drugs central? could someone from new york check in on this? i am kinda assuming, by the way, that gotham is basically new york by another name (gotham is a real world nickname for NYC, anyway).

very much liked this one. real real real! I do have an affection for parts of the Forever movie, but the city was.....hideous. Begins was hideous but in all the right ways, a real hideousness. no neon paint on the bums or the buildings, no silly giant statues, just real people and real buildings and real batman.

it was the back door, and it was half way through the show, so it would be deserted...

Red Superfly
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious they left via the back door?

The front doors would have been shut (I think) due to it being a ponsy theatre production.

Bruce shouldn't have blamed himself. He should have bataranged the guy who locked the front door. Git.

pr1983
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious they left via the back door?

The front doors would have been shut (I think) due to it being a ponsy theatre production.

Bruce shouldn't have blamed himself. He should have bataranged the guy who locked the front door. Git.

laughing

Kieralinn
Originally posted by Sileas

The opera house being in a bad area weird?! Go TO Detroit!! The Fisher Theater, the Fox and Masonic Temple are all in Bad areas..then again most of Detroit is a bad area. Did you know that crime was so high..they had to invent a whole other court to handle the load because it was slowing down the process? Recorders Court.... that's where all the arraignments happen. I actually thought ever city had one untill my US Gov class in College roll eyes (sarcastic)

And by the way...Detroit has a monorail system. So nasty cities do have things like those. It's called the people mover.

I like both cities for what they were to each film...one realistic and one a gothic fantasy.

Mainstream
Begins Gotham was better though Burton Gotham wasn't half bad

SpyCspider
Gotham in 1989 Batman looked more like a prop piece from far away...it was hazy, gloomy, and sorta Translyvaniash......or GOTHIC. With gargoyles (which Batman hooked JOker's leg to) and cathedrals, etc....resembles the cartoon more. But closeup it had some real-life-looking areas like during Joker's parade scene, or City Hall, etc. Batman REturns it got crazier in terms of the theatrical imagery...snow, fog, etc.

Batman Begins is definitely more realistic IMO...something you can actually see in the world we live today. Both served equally well for the movies.

zombiesnake7
The reason why the Batman Begins Gotham is somthing you can actually see in the world we live today is because it is somthing in the world we live today. I'm really partial to the Batman Begins Gotham because I'm from Chicago and thats what they used. It was awesome how they took a real place and changed it to be Gotham. Kinda like Spider-Man although its still New York in Spider-Man. The island where the fear gas was released is'nt real and the trains were differnt then the real ones but everything else was Chicago. When Batman went throw lower wacker drive in the Batmobile and stoped the cops I could'nt help but think of the Blues Brothers. Best Gotham ever. Chicago is Gotham!

Zod4Life
Everything in Batman Begins is just to damn SWEET!

RogueGambitdare
The one from Batman Begins. Way cooler.

Mainstream
Originally posted by RogueGambitdare
The one from Batman Begins. Way cooler.

indeed lovely sig and how's the weather in Azarath

Stealth Agent

i really agree with the 89 gotham feeling dank and freezing. it just gave off that vibe, the way it toned its colors and showed peoples breath when they spoke.

I like both of them I think they were both fitting for the movie they were in.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by mdbull73
Which Gotham city was better--Bat Begins or the other Batman movies?

Even though I haven't seen the movie I'm betting Batman Begins has the better city.
batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.