Billy Corgan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deathblow
Just wondering what you guys make of the new album. Personally I think it's very good. Kind of sounds like Adore, but even more stripped down. Definitely better than (though admittedly very different from) Zwan.

Any thoughts?

tabby999
gonna have to dissagree there little buddy, to me the cd is self indulgant crap. go back to what your good at billy

Alpha Centauri
In reply to the above:

Making music is what he's good at. Excellent at, infact. Last time I checked, making an album qualified as making music, so he's still doing what he's "good" at. You not liking it has no bearing on that. If by "go back to" you mean "Reform The Smashing Pumpkins", then you're just being silly.

Why do people have the inability to drop comparisons? Why can't musicians make music with a group of people, then another group/solo and not be compared?

Second of all, the album isn't out yet, so I wouldn't know.

-AC

Darth Revan
I don't have it yet, but I like the single that's been on the radio.

Alpha Centauri
It's out in America?

It's not out here.

-AC

Darth Revan
Yep.

Deathblow
It is AC, I got it from Amazon UK.

Alpha Centauri
I've been jiffed.

It said it wasn't released till the 27th on Play.Com (though I normally use Amazon).

They're only just packing my order. Bast-ards.

-AC

tabby999
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
In reply to the above:

Making music is what he's good at. Excellent at, infact. Last time I checked, making an album qualified as making music, so he's still doing what he's "good" at. You not liking it has no bearing on that. If by "go back to" you mean "Reform The Smashing Pumpkins", then you're just being silly.

Why do people have the inability to drop comparisons? Why can't musicians make music with a group of people, then another group/solo and not be compared?

Second of all, the album isn't out yet, so I wouldn't know.

-AC

no no no, you misunderstood my intentions. i'm not trying to say that Smashing Pumpkins should reform, frankly, i'm not all that into his old music, but i can recognise his talent. i'm simply saying he should go back to making music of that type, in a similar genre as what he was best at instead of making crappy electronica-esq music. see where i'm going?

Alpha Centauri
Do I see where you're going....? Perhaps.

If you recognise his talent, you should recognise it regardless. You're not all that into his old music, you hate his new music, what exactly do you want?

It should make no difference to you. He's still the same man that made those albums so his talent is still as recognisable if the past is what we're judging by.

-AC

tabby999
arguable, metallica have heaps of talent, yet St Anger hides most of it pretty well.

and in an interveiw with Corgan i read yesterday he's trying to get Smashing Pumpkins back together, so i think even he might have realised hes better off making music with them than as he is on his own

Victor Von Doom
The thing about that is, he's always been a solo musician for all intents. Smashing Pumpkins was Billy and Jimmy, with the others being live jobbers.

tabby999
true, i dont think i can put the point i want to make into words properly...dammit

Ronny
Haven't heard. But Billy Corgan always made me all hot and sweaty... embarrasment

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by tabby999
true, i dont think i can put the point i want to make into words properly...dammit

He's better off making Smashing P's type music?

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
The thing about that is, he's always been a solo musician for all intents. Smashing Pumpkins was Billy and Jimmy, with the others being live jobbers.

Which "Jimmy" are you referring to? James Iha or Jimmy Chamberlain. I think Iha's a little more than a jobber.

Then again..

He should stay "single", with that ego. It's nothing new, though.

tabby999
He's better off making Smashing P's type music?

ok, heres what i'm trying to say about the cd.

metallica are a higly talented band. but if they went from the music they are great at, metal, into a type of music they are bad at, hip hop for example. they are talented, but not in all feilds. billy corgan is the same. talented in one feild, but in this pop-electronica crapfest, well it'd be polite to say hes hidden his talent.

picking up what i'm putting down?

MildPossession
I'm 8 songs into the album and so far I enjoy three songs a lot, Mina Loy, The Camera Eye and A100.

Adore is one of my favourite SP albums and his solo album is closest to Adore I think, which is good for me.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Which "Jimmy" are you referring to? James Iha or Jimmy Chamberlain. I think Iha's a little more than a jobber.

You only mentioned one Jimmy.

James is nothing more than a session guitarist. As evidenced by the parts he plays on the SPs, and what he comes up with when left to his own devices on his solo albums (IE some of the worst music ever put to cd), I think that's a very fair appraisal.

Cinemaddiction
You only mentioned one Jimmy.

James is nothing more than a session guitarist. As evidenced by the parts he plays on the SPs, and what he comes up with when left to his own devices on his solo albums (IE some of the worst music ever put to cd), I think that's a very fair appraisal.

Nickname for James is Jimmy, so the distinction wasn't all that clear.

Victor Von Doom
There is an actual Jimmy in the band. Thought that was clear enough.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.