Luke (ROTJ) VS. Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firecap40
I think Maul would win, the only reason Luke defeated Vader was because Sidious needed Luke alive to turn him to the Dark Side, plus Maul is a much better saber fighter.

Bobafetty
Your really new to the hole Star Wars thing arent ya?

chewbacca II
lol, give him sone slack im new here i no wat it feels like, lol, but i do agree wiht him maul would pan rotj lukes ass, proper stylie

the-unforgiven
maul would butcher the poor thing..

Darth_Frobo
Not NJO, but all the other versions probably, but NJO would kill him in seconds.

Emperor Revan
I bet ROTJ Luke would give him a good fight. He owned Vader in about 40 seconds, so Maul might have some trouble beating him.

Darth_Frobo
He might put up an ok fight if he uses his skywalker spaz attack, but he really wasn't that good in rotj he swung his saber like a baseball bat I'm suprised he didn't decapitate himself, all it really showed is that vader was a piss poor swordsman. At best Luke would put up as good a fight as ob1 did before he got pushed off the edge of the pit.

sasee tiin
remember that the movie was made many years ago, so how Luke swings his saber in ROTJ is of course less impressive than how ROTS characters does. Of course everyone know this, just wanted to reply to Frobo.

as for the duel, Maul is a pretty good saber fighter, but he is arrogant, which might cause him to loose, just as against padawan kenobi.
If he can defeat Maul (doesn't matter how it happened, he won) then im sure ROTJ Luke CAN, which means he is not without any chances, i would say 60/40 in Luke's favour.

yoda my homie
luke is the chosen one he would definitly win

Wickerman
Originally posted by yoda my homie
luke is the chosen one he would definitly win

hey check it out, tomorrow's my turn to do the dishes...i'm...the chosen one. shifty

What tiin said makes excellent sense. All in all, i'd say Maul would win, simply because he has much more fluent, faster and more aggresive moves. BUT if arrogance is a factor we're considering here, then he might indeed lose.
HOWEVER, before we start swinging the ARROGANCE stick around, we have to consider this:

1. If you were fighting a jedi master and his paddawan and defeated/killed the master so easily, wouldn't YOU get cocky about some guy who's name you're not even interested in knowing?

2. If you're gonna fight Darth Vader's son you're gonna know who he is and not turn your back on him for one damn second.

so....i don't really know....

~wickerman~

Darth_Glentract
Luke would win. He is extremly underrated in ROTJ. Maul is underated too, but Luke much more so. I have always thought that in the PT it looks like they have become more used to mainly using there lightsabers to block blaster bolts because they really aren't swinging very hard. Luke thows a ton of power into each swing which would potentialy allow him to knock Maul swings off and let Luke kill him. I also think Luke isn't the worst sword fighter in the entire world. In ep6 when he goes crazy against Vader he is actually doing good.

Luke wins.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
Luke would win. He is extremly underrated in ROTJ. Maul is underated too, but Luke much more so. I have always thought that in the PT it looks like they have become more used to mainly using there lightsabers to block blaster bolts because they really aren't swinging very hard. Luke thows a ton of power into each swing which would potentialy allow him to knock Maul swings off and let Luke kill him. I also think Luke isn't the worst sword fighter in the entire world. In ep6 when he goes crazy against Vader he is actually doing good.

Luke wins.

i agree that he's underrated. But i'm not sure if he'd win. Remember the OT lightsabers were quite heavy (compared to the PT ones at least). That explains a lot about the OT lightsaber duels. As for Luke throwing a ton of power into each swing, yeah, it could potentially allow him to knock Maul's swings off, or it could potentially leave him open to Maul's very fast attacks.

~wickerman~

Darth_Glentract
The longer range lightsaber also gives him an advantage.

sasee tiin
completely agree Wickerman

Wickerman
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
The longer range lightsaber also gives him an advantage.

Don't be so sure about that. Simply having a longer sword (IRL) doesn't guarantee a win, especially at the way Luke uses it. If used by a pro martial fighter, a longer range sword would probably be a bit better, but in this case i don't think it really makes a difference. Although the light part of the saber doesn't weigh anything (which is a real problem with large weapons IRL), it STILL doesn't make it a more valuable weapon.

~wickerman~

Fishy
Maul would win.

The only Luke has better is potential and he hasn't achieved all of that yet, so he can not and will not win.

Also Maul is faster better trained and more in touch with the force, Luke doesn't stand a chance.

the-unforgiven
Quite simpel.. maul would butcher him without thinking.. maul is an great warrior, and the only reason luke had the upper hand vs vader was because vader would be struck down, by the hate of luke..

Darth_DaNThEMaN
Luke is dead.

Maul beats him in like 2 minutes tops.

NJO Luke would beat him though.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Darth_DaNThEMaN
Luke is dead.

Maul beats him in like 2 minutes tops.

NJO Luke would beat him though.

NJO Luke would saberrape Maul and then tattoo "pwnd" on his already tattooed forehead....but since this ISN'T NJO, i doubt that's gonna happen.

~wickerman~

Master Smarts
luke could have defeated vader after he cut vaders arm. vaders way better than maul so Luke would obviously kick butt. im new how u get pictures on?

Darth_DaNThEMaN
its obvious that ur new from that post....

worst logic ever.

Luke only beat vader becuz A: it was the emperor's plan
B: it was his son and he didnt want him dead

If Vader wanted, luke would have died easily.
Maul owns luke.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Darth_DaNThEMaN
its obvious that ur new from that post....

worst logic ever.

Luke only beat vader becuz A: it was the emperor's plan
B: it was his son and he didnt want him dead

If Vader wanted, luke would have died easily.
Maul owns luke.

A: true B: PARTIALLY true. If you watch carefully at a certain point Vader really starts fighting for the kill (i'm sure that even if the purpose is to make Luke become violent and turn to the darkside, I'm pretty sure Vader's open to the possibility of killing Luke).

~wickerman~

Darth Plagues
I going to say ROTJ Luke Skywalker in this one and no its not just because I'm a Skywalker fan. In ROTJ Luke Skywalker is a full fledged Jedi Knight and his swings are alot more powerful than most Jedi in the PT.

Darth_DaNThEMaN
Vader might have been mad, but he was never gonna kill luke. hes his son, and he needed to keep him alive for the emperor.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Darth Plagues
I going to say ROTJ Luke Skywalker in this one and no its not just because I'm a Skywalker fan. In ROTJ Luke Skywalker is a full fledged Jedi Knight and his swings are alot more powerful than most Jedi in the PT.

for the ten millionth time......stronger swings are NOT better than fast agile moves. Christ....as for him finally being a Jedi Knight, that's not a very good reason. Maul's been trained since he was an infant....He's dozens more experienced than Luke....The only card you can play here is that he has more mastery of the force. But what you said in the post i quoted....nah...

~wickerman~

Darth Plagues
Darth Maul's stupidity would be his downfall...

Darth Plagues
Also in the Dark Empire era, which wasn't that long after ROTJ...Luke was able too beat a clone of Darth Sidious, which had Darth Sidious's spirit within. Darth Maul (obviously) is not even close to Darth Sidious...

Fishy
Okay so an a boy with relatively little training would fight a Sith Master that uses an offensive style and a weapon Luke has never ever even seen and Luke would still somehow win?

Darth Plagues
He did.

Wickerman
He did.

Fishy is talking about Maul and you're talking about Sidious.

~wickerman~

Darth Plagues
Also in the Dark Empire era, which wasn't that long after ROTJ...Luke was able too beat a clone of Darth Sidious, which had Darth Sidious's spirit within. Darth Maul (obviously) is not even close to Darth Sidious...

If Luke can take Darth Sidious...he could take Maul.

Nai Fohl

Dark Empire is 10 years after ANH or 6 years after ROTJ (meanwhile the Thrawn crises happened). That would be a lot of time for training if you see how much Luke learned in a few days or weeks on Dagobah + 6 months between ESB and ROTJ.

Darth_DaNThEMaN
ROTJ Luke cant take sidious, and Maul is not stupid at all.

just overconfident.

Maul is more than likely smarter than luke.

Darth_Glentract
Maul definatly isn't smarter than Luke, but he might beat him.

Darth_DaNThEMaN
If you have read anything on Maul and Luke, you would know that he is.

Just because he is quiet, doesn't mean he is dumb..."the ability to speak does not make you intelligent".......

He is smarter for being quiet, he lets his actions do the talking.

Luke never did anything that smart to impress me, especially in ROTJ. wow, made c-3po float.....real genius.

read up on it, trust me.

Bobafetty
/\

Darth Plagues
Darth Maul never really did anything with the Force...to even allow anybody to be impressed. He may have thrown that little droid into the wall and a few Force Jumps (Luke did that too in ROTJ), but that was about it. And Darth Maul's does not have the greatest intelligence...

INT. THEED - POWER GENERATOR - MELTING PIT

OBI-WAN screams as the pulsing electron gate opens, and the SITH LORD attacks him. The DARK LORD is relentless in his assault on the young JEDI. OBI-WAN and DARTH MAUL use the Force to fling objects at each other as they fight. DARTH MAUL seems to have the upper hand as OBI-WAN grows weary. DARTH MAUL catches OBI-WAN off guard, and the JEDI slips into a melting pit. He is barely able to hold onto a nozzle on the side of the pit. DARTH MAUL grins evilly at OBI-WAN as he kicks OBI-WAN's lightsaber down the endless shaft. The SITH LORD smiles as he goes in for the kill. At the last moment, OBI-WAN jumps up out of the pit, calls QUI-GON's lightsaber hilt. The young JEDI swings with a vengeance, cutting the SITH down. DARTH MAUL falls into the melting pit to his death.

He should have known what Obi-Wan was doing with the Force and Qui-Gon's lightsaber. Lets break it down....Force + Lightsaber = He's going to try and kill you with it.

Bobafetty
He didn't do anything with the force on TPM, so what? He can use it non the less. The TPM crew where just lazy ass' with crappy 1998 computers.

darthsith19
I think Maul. In The Ultimate Darth Vader Guide it makes OT Vader seem weaker than Maul (and I'd say he is). Luke wasn't that much stronger than Vader, especially before he used the Dark Side. Darth Maul beat Qui-Gon, who I'd say is probably stronger than ROTJ Luke. And he was stronger than TPM Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan just won out of sheer dumb luck. Compared to Maul's saber skills Luke's suck. Maul wins.

DarthMaul9123
Darth Maul's stupidity would be his downfall...
Janus we've got a fanboy on our hands!!!!

DarthMaul9123
Originally posted by Bobafetty
He didn't do anything with the force on TPM, so what? He can use it non the less. The TPM crew where just lazy ass' with crappy 1998 computers.
so true

Darth_Janus
WTF?

Who in their right mind thinks ROTJ Luke is able to beat Maul, who bested at the very least, two jedi masters?

They all deserve this award...

Darth Sparhawk
Maul will beat the movie Luke.

Baston Alveron
plain and simple maul had superior training and swordsmanship then ROTJ luke easy maul takes it

braz
Originally posted by Emperor Revan
I bet ROTJ Luke would give him a good fight. He owned Vader in about 40 seconds, so Maul might have some trouble beating him.

vader may be the chosen 1 but dude, he can barely even walk

Wally West
Maul would own ROTJ Luke, he hadn't trained enough or gained enough experience at that point to beat Maul.

Darth Traya
Oh, and for all you people out there who seem to believe that Luke beat Vader, you are sadly mistaken. Look at Vader in ROTJ, he is faking.=, it's obvious.

kamikz
If Luke can take Darth Sidious...he could take Maul.

Um...Luke never defeated DE Sidious, he lost when Sidious was dying. Han Solo shot him in the back.
Who fried Luke in the death star?????

And about the force+lightsaber is obvious, it's not since Maul didn't know Qui-Gon's lightsaber was still there. He kicked down Obi's for a reason, he would kick Qui-Gon's if he knew.

Blind Guardian
Originally posted by Darth Traya
Oh, and for all you people out there who seem to believe that Luke beat Vader, you are sadly mistaken. Look at Vader in ROTJ, he is faking.=, it's obvious.

Very obvious. I can't believe people are so foolish as to think that Luke really won that fight.

braz
^ he did cuz dude he has mechanical limbs its a struggle just for him to move, and he could have killed vader if he wanted to but he held back his anger and didnt want to make the same mistake his father did by choosing anger and going to the path towards the dark side

ssj3gohan007
Luke would win

Darth Traya
Originally posted by ssj3gohan007
Luke would win

\fanboy.

ssj3gohan007
Not true

Darth Traya
Originally posted by ssj3gohan007
Not true

Look at ROTJ. The fight with Vader just scream fake. Vader pathetically beats away Luke's blows, instead of taking the advantage, which would be the rational thing to do. Then vader quite consciously pretends to slip on the railing and rather feebly blocks Luke's blows.

ssj3gohan007
Your kidding right?

Darth Traya
No, go watch ROTJ.

kamikz
Yup he is obviousley faking.

Kaithen
Luke has not much experience in ROTJ he hasnt trained for a long time...
And Maul has lots of experience.....
Maul would win this but if it was NJO luke, Luke would win

Tidas
Maul would win this duel. Maul has more experience than Luke

Kaithen
Right...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.