How did Palpatine know Padme was dead?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kalsemo
Palpatine tells Darth Vader that Padme was dead.... but this was all happening simulatenously with Vader's "birth"... so how did Palpatine know about Padme? Its not like Obi-Won would've called him up on a cell phone to relay the news or anything.... that she was dead... so where does Palpatine get this information??? Or was he just guessing, in an attempt to mess up Vader's mind even more?????

Cipher
He has contacts on Naboo.

This IS Palpatine; he probably has informants everywhere......

Mist
he checked CNN...big coverage...

DeVi| D0do
Palpatine has special powers I think...

blink

Morridini
He lied, it was just one more way to push Vader fully under his control.

PVS
he knows all

he sees all

actually thats a good question
since padme died WHILE vader was being...'constructed' if you will.
palps was there the whole time and padme was at a secret location.
only thing i can think of is that alot of time passed before vader actually woke up....enough time for word to spread of padme's death. and back to palps.

or he could have been watching her through the force....you got me

DeVi| D0do
But Palpatine knew that she was going to die... it was her destiny.

Morridini
He lied.
This lie could also be one of the reasons which made Vader turn back to the light in RotJ. When he found out about Luke being his sun in ESB he started thinking about what Palps had said in RotS, he understood that Palps had been lying then and thus started to resent him more.

PVS
but if he lied then he ran the risk of vader realising she survived (hypothetically of coarse)

DeVi| D0do
He didn't lie. Padme did die.

Morridini
But he said it at a moment where he couldn't know if the children survived or not, allowing Vader to believe he had killed his Wife and his child. Even if he believed it or not Vader would believe he had been lying all along when he found out in ESB.

DeVi| D0do
mm, yeah... even in Palpatine's appearance in Empire he's still manipulating Vader. "Search your feelings, you will know it to be true" - he's trying to cover his ass.

If Vader realises Palpatine was lying, though, I don't think it was until the end - not in ESB. Vader still goes along with is in ESB, it's not till ROTJ that he realises he's been a fool the whole time...

Morridini
That might well be true. But the chain of events which lead to him realising the truth started there.

PVS
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
He didn't lie. Padme did die.

well, what was being suggested was the notion that palpatine just made a lucky guess.

i dont believe that though

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Morridini
That might well be true. But the chain of events which lead to him realising the truth started there.
Yeah, I agree... sorta. Vader was still a pawn in Palpatine's grande game right up till the very end though... he never really realises anything until he snaps out of it to save his son.

peejay88
Probarbly used the force or lied, you'd think. smokin'

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by PVS
well, what was being suggested was the notion that palpatine just made a lucky guess.

i dont believe that though
Nah, Palpatine knew she was dead. Remember, Palpatine knew of Anakin's dreams of Padme's death. There was no reason to suspect these dreams would not come true... the ones of his mother did.

I do think, though, that Palpatine knew the circumstances of her death - that she didn't die from her injuries but of a broken heart (ick). So he was lying when he says "It seems in your anger you killed her." He was just saying that to further piss Vader off and manipulate him. As Obi-Wan says, Palpatine knew the kids would be a threat and so obviously didn't want Vader knowing...

Morridini
If he knew that she died, why didn't he know the children survived?

DeVi| D0do
Didn't he? I think he did...
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
As Obi-Wan says, Palpatine knew the kids would be a threat and so obviously didn't want Vader knowing...

Morridini
If he did know why didn't he try to get hold of Luke at young age to train him early, and throw away the mechanical and weak Vader.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Mist
he checked CNN...big coverage...

ROTFLMAO! Well that gave me my laugh for the day at work. Thanks Mist!
laughing out loud

DeVi| D0do
If he did know why didn't he try to get hold of Luke at young age to train him early, and throw away the mechanical and weak Vader.
Good point. So then perhaps he didn't know of the twins. Hmm... yeah, because in Anakin's dream he himself is unsure of the fate of the children, so it would make sense that Palpatine may have thought they also died.

But maybe he thought that Anakin's emotional attachment for his children would be too strong?

PVS
If he knew that she died, why didn't he know the children survived?

i think because jedi/sith are able to detect individuals through the force, people he knows. their emotions seem to be what they sense the most...like a signature i guess. since the babies are unfamiliar to him, he had no idea.
thats what i think anyway

ShadowKing
Vader/Anakin told Palps that Padme would die in childbirth...maybe Palps assumed that the child dies also? (No one knew it was twins until Padme gave birth...hey wtf kind of health care plan do they have on Naboo if a Queen can't get a decent ultrasound!) laughing

Stealth Agent
shes not queen

Cybervader
Originally posted by PVS
i think because jedi/sith are able to detect individuals through the force, people he knows. their emotions seem to be what they sense the most...like a signature i guess. since the babies are unfamiliar to him, he had no idea.
thats what i think anyway

hmm true to a certain degree i think. Note that Sidious only knew of luke's existence in ESB..saying "there's a disturbance in the Force"..and that Vader "had sensed it too". Can we say that even powerful Siths and Jedis can only detect individuals, even those with unusually high midichlorians count, AFTER these individuals 'get in touch' with the Force thru learning its ways. Luke starts his training with Obi-wan, only after that Sidious knew of him. Notice Anakin Skywalker in Tatooine could have remained unnoticed for eternity, should qui-gon did not find him.

Bicnarok
Even a mechanical Vader is one of the mightiest force users ever.

He probably head of the funeral plans, which would mean she died. And to tell Vader he killed her, well that would have tipped him over the cliff into a very dark realm of the darks side. Nevertheless he fullfilled his destiny and killed Sidious in Star wars 6

ImperialPEZ
Also to clear up the quote....Obi Wan says "The Emporer knew as I dad that IF Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." The Emporer didn't know at the end of III that Anakin had offspring.

matreid
Palpatine could probably sense her death through the force.

JKozzy
Originally posted by kalsemo
Palpatine tells Darth Vader that Padme was dead.... but this was all happening simulatenously with Vader's "birth"... so how did Palpatine know about Padme? Its not like Obi-Won would've called him up on a cell phone to relay the news or anything.... that she was dead... so where does Palpatine get this information??? Or was he just guessing, in an attempt to mess up Vader's mind even more????? He had foreseen it. How else did Vader turn? By assisting in killing his wife...

PVS
Originally posted by Cybervader
hmm true to a certain degree i think. Note that Sidious only knew of luke's existence in ESB..saying "there's a disturbance in the Force"..and that Vader "had sensed it too". Can we say that even powerful Siths and Jedis can only detect individuals, even those with unusually high midichlorians count, AFTER these individuals 'get in touch' with the Force thru learning its ways. Luke starts his training with Obi-wan, only after that Sidious knew of him. Notice Anakin Skywalker in Tatooine could have remained unnoticed for eternity, should qui-gon did not find him.

yeah, that sounds about right

drex
he knows cause its the word on the street bruv!

Darth Travizzle
He guessed when Vader asked where Padme was, Sidious really didn't know. So he tried winging it.

Captain REX
Originally posted by ShadowKing
Vader/Anakin told Palps that Padme would die in childbirth...maybe Palps assumed that the child dies also? (No one knew it was twins until Padme gave birth...hey wtf kind of health care plan do they have on Naboo if a Queen can't get a decent ultrasound!) laughing

It think somewhere in the script, before they hacked it down a bit, or in the comic or book or something, Padme said she wanted it to be a surprise.

And Palpatine has lots of informants. He has spies everywhere, I'm sure.

darht dude
IT`S ALL A PART OF HIS PLAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad mad mad

cad
you could say it was the force thats proberly he knows that it happened.

Robin Darkside
The news hit Corusant that Padme was dead before the scene with Sidious telling Vader shes dead. There was a time interval between the scenes. Maybe there was a cut scene between in the DVD. After she died - Sidious telling Vader. Vader felt that she was dead so it was after
Remember not everything has to be spelled out for you.
The news of Padmes death probably was rushed by Bail, Obiwan, and Yoda, so they can hide the children.

Swanky-Tuna
I figured he only said it to crush Anakin's hope. Asking if Padme was alright sounded as if he was trying to climb out of the pit he fell into and hearing she was dead knocked him back in.

Did you hear the tone of Sidious' voice and the smile on his face?

dflood
yoda used the force to discover vader consuming anakin , im sure palpatine did the same

unno
I agree with the time interval idea. We have no real reason to think that the conversation between Vader and Palps took place immediately after Padme's death. I think some time passed there, and by the time he asked, the news had spread (at least, to someone as important as the Emperor of the galaxy.)

Unno

((The_Anomaly))
Well Palpatine was able to sense that "lord Vader was in danger" from half way across the Galaxy. Im pretty sure he would know if Padme Died...if he had wanted too.

Robin Darkside
news of padmes death reached the emperor, before Vader asked if Padme was allright

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.