Batman Begins or Sin City?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Melkor
Which film is better in your opinion?

LiL nAstY GirL
Sin City

Lord Melkor
Why? I haven`t seen any, but I might have to choose between those.

pr1983
Batman barely...

Myth
Batman is the best comic book super-hero movie ever made. Sin City is the best comic book movie ever made. Don't get me wrong, I loved Batman Begins, but it pales in comparison to the masterpiece known as Sin City.

pr1983
Originally posted by Myth
Batman is the best comic book super-hero movie ever made. Sin City is the best comic book movie ever made. Don't get me wrong, I loved Batman Begins, but it pales in comparison to the masterpiece known as Sin City.

masterpiece? thats going a bit far isnt it?

Solo
Originally posted by pr1983
masterpiece? thats going a bit far isnt it?

Not at all, I totally agree with Myth on that one.

pr1983
Originally posted by Solo
Not at all, I totally agree with Myth on that one.

its a very good movie, but masterpiece? i do think thats a little ott...

SnakeEyes
Definitely Batman Begins... Sin City sucked IMO

brainchild81
Sin City. Yes, it is a masterpiece.

RogueGambitdare
Batman Begins. I hated Sin City.

mavic19
As an art film: sin city was great. No complaints from me. It was a great adaptation of the graphic comic and Rogdriguez did a wonderful job with the cinematography and such. As a comic book film, I found Batman begins to be far more enjoyable. After years of sh1tty hollywood adaptations, this new Batman finally set the record strait. Batman Begins has summoned huge sighs of relief from all of us fans of the Dark Knight and I applaud Nolans success in doing so. Both are great films, but I give my nod to BB.

DigiMark007
I liked them both...and I've never read Sin City and I'm not a huge Batman fan.

I'd give the nod to BB. IMO, it's the best Batman film ever (including the original). I was actually able to identify with Bruce for a change, and thought they did a good job mixing drama with action. Bale was solid as the Bat, and Freeman, Caine, and Neeson were all priceless in their smaller roles. Not without flaws, but a surprisingly good film.

Like I said, I liked SC too, but somehow didn't 'enjoy' it as much, even if I can attest to its cinematic brilliance.

-DM

joazinho
SIN CITY!!

Mainstream
Batman Begins...by far the best live action batman movie...until the next one comes out that is.

MERCILOUS
Problems with Batman;

Action was sensored by camera angles that were too tight.
Gordon was comic relief.
Picky writers couldn't decide what parts to stay true to and what parts to alter, considering budget wasn't much of a problem.
Bale tried a little too hard to do the voice.
The mask could have been a little better.

Problems with Sin city;

It wasn't 4 hours longer.

DemonXangelX
definatly sin city

vaya_the_elf
Of course Batman Begins

Mainstream
Batman nana nana nana Batman

Darth Macabre
Batman Begins, lol I think calling Sin City a master piece is a little over board in my own. I mean dont get me wrong it was a great movie, but Batman just had more to it.

Both great movies and were much needed to the comic book movie franchise.

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Batman Begins, lol I think calling Sin City a master piece is a little over board in my own.

Agrees

I was not into sin city. Hated the plot line.

Only liked it for the art reasons. Other than that I hated it.

Freaky Zeeky
Toma

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
Agrees

I was not into sin city. Hated the plot line.

Only liked it for the art reasons. Other than that I hated it.

Back to the re-education chambers with you!

BOPRecruit 16
batman begins. no contest. it has better everything. plot, characters, cast, effects, locations, depth of characters, director, etc. besides, can't expect much when robert rodriequiz directs a movie. but, there are a few elements in sin city that i liked. but not many.

brainchild81
I didn't expect much from Sin City. I was pleasently surprised. I was letdown by the fights in Begins big time. I mean you finally cast somebody built like a fighter that's been in great fight scenes before(see equilibrium) and then you cut the fight scenes in the worst way possible. I left Sin City happy. I left Begins with an empty feeling.

b-dan
sin city

SnakeEyes
Besides the art and uniqueness of Sin City, what was so great about it? I mean, I even read one of the graphic novels, and I didn't even enjoy that. I thought it was just a messed up movie that didn't have much going for it. I had high expectations for Batman Begins and Sin City, but I felt as though only Batman Begins lived up to how good I thought it was going to be.

Pointinel
both batman and sin city are good

but sin city = classic

MERCILOUS
Sin City raised the bar for comic movies, Begins did not rise to match it.

If Batman Begins had come out before Sin City, I would have probably liked it more.

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by MERCILOUS
Back to the re-education chambers with you!

Why do you say that?

Only good thing about Sin City was the art.

Batman begins was well thought out. It really showed how hard Batman had to work to get to where he became batman. It was better than other batman movies, and it showed a little darker side to batman. Everything was right.

As for Sin City the plot line sucked.

MERCILOUS
Why do you say that?

Only good thing about Sin City was the art.

Batman begins was well thought out. It really showed how hard Batman had to work to get to where he became batman. It was better than other batman movies, and it showed a little darker side to batman. Everything was right.

As for Sin City the plot line sucked.

Because your opinion displays a serious lack of education.

One very good thing about Sin City was the art.

Strange that Frank Miller wrote "Year One" (the basis for "Batman Begins" and Sin City yet you insist the plot of one sucks. The plot for Batman begins was mediocre after Hollywood had it's way with it, this only shows that you enjoy the whatever Hollywood shoves down your throat. Meanwhile Sin City was a story worth telling. Batman Begins gave an explanation, not a good one. It was better than other Batman movies, but you would have to watch it with an eyepatch to catch a dark side. I doubt you even read comics if you truly feel everything was right. Everything was ok.

skizo
Well put Merc

black robb
Even though i did think Batman had a better plot,just the style and fights in Sin City were way better

skizo
Sin city wasnt a one plot movie it had several from what I remember

black robb
Originally posted by skizo
Sin city wasnt a one plot movie it had several from what I remember it had 3 plots but Batman's was better than all three of them

skizo
Originally posted by black robb
it had 3 plots but Batman's was better than all three of them

No it wasnt

black robb
Originally posted by skizo
No it wasnt yes it was

Myth
I'm going to back skizo on this one.

skizo
The enemy of my enemy is my friend smile .....by the way i dont consider you an enemy just felt like using that phrase

Nevermind
Sin City was better. I don't see why you guys didn't like the plot to Sin City, it was cleverly put together and had some great dialogue. Just everything with that film seemed to work perfectly with each other. No complaints, well from me at least. Don't get me wrong I think more or less the same with Batman Begins but Sin City did it a lot better.

Myth
Agreed. yes

As far as known super-heros go, BB was the best, but when you consider comics that aren't the usual super hero comic, Sin City is the best hands down.

movie_freak
Both are great but Sin City gets my vote

skizo
Originally posted by Myth
Agreed. yes

As far as known super-heros go, BB was the best, but when you consider comics that aren't the usual super hero comic, Sin City is the best hands down.

Agreed, Theyre both Gonna be in my collection so its all good

BOPRecruit 16
one of the things that i didn't like about sin city is that the characters didn't have any depth. that's something that i always check for and is really important in movies. esp. comic book and serious drama movies. also, in some parts of the stories, it's like certain things about the character weren't explored enough and not a whole lot of them had something really interesting or smart to say. half the time. i loved batman begins so much. everything was great. strong characters and great actors who play them so well. some of the characters grow and have appeal and mystery to them. there's always something new to learn about batman and his villians. very intelligent, batman and what character and background on his villians as well. that's what i love about batman, esp. batman tas! in my opinion and please don't bash me on this, but i think that sin city cannot compete with batman begins for there were numerous let downs and all.

MERCILOUS
I'm on the other spectrum of opinion on this one. While I agree that Batman Begins had far more character development (as it was basically the whole movie) and I too feel it is one of the most important things in any story, It was alot of mediocre character development. Events were shown to progress character development, but for me Bale failed to show it. I understand that it's a challenge especially with Batman's character being so stoic, but that's no excuse

On the other hand, Sin City had less but far more meaningful character development. Instead of babying you along they let you learn as the movie progresses. And I honestly feel you missed alot of it due to it's semi-poetic nature.

I didn't bash you, you're welcome.

ayjay
for me, sin city was superioir to BB. I loved the cinemetography....very well done, very film noir. On a shallower level: Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy, Devon Aoki (all very finem esp Alba ^__^ droolio) VS. Katey Holmes....

yeaah, sin city had more eye candy for sure!...but seriously, sincity had a rawness that was so impacting, whereas batman is wokring on a totally different scale. They're both verty different movies, but i think BB was a bit slow for my liking...

alic88
sin city

JenR1215
SIN CITY ALL THE WAY! I know people said they didnt like it b/c they were bored or.. it just wasnt their style when it comes to movies. BUT THE ART IS INCREDIBLE.

When you watch the previews and see what it looks like.. IT JAW DROPPING. AMAZING. UNIQUE. I love a unique movie.
jawdrop
Something different never gets old

brainchild81
Originally posted by ayjay
for me, sin city was superioir to BB. I loved the cinemetography....very well done, very film noir. On a shallower level: Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy, Devon Aoki Don't forget Rosario Dawson

vaya_the_elf
Batman Begins is better. I'm not a fan of Sin City. Only think I liked about Sin city were the art. Hated the story line, and I never want to see it again.

Batman begins had a great story like. Best Batman movie so far, and they did all the characters just right. Plus batman looked hot in that suit, and the car was kind of cool.

kevorn
SIN CITY

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by kevorn
SIN CITY

A very, very good arguement.

Family_guy725
A very, very good arguement.
lol but its true sin city kicked @$$ especially marv his action scenes were awesome the way he killed Kevin & the hatchet thing with bad cops
also that was probably the best role i've ever seen bruce willis in
"An old man dies a young girl lives, fair trade"

Susan-Storm
Batman i hear Sin City Sucks

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by Susan-Storm
Batman i hear Sin City Sucks

You heard wrong.

vaya_the_elf
You heard wrong.

Thats what you think. I'd say Sin city sucked, and Batman Begins rocked. Only thing good about Sin City was the art of it.

makavelli
i So badly rekon sin city. that movie is oen of the best movies ever made. i havnt seen the new bat man but i didnt really like the old ones.

brainchild81
Originally posted by Susan-Storm
Batman i hear Sin City Sucks Probably from kids. You really outta see it for yourself. It was way better than Batman. Begins had a chance to be great, but blew it w/the horrible fights and Bat-voice. Sin City was great from start to finish.

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by brainchild81
Probably from kids. You really outta see it for yourself. It was way better than Batman. Begins had a chance to be great, but blew it w/the horrible fights and Bat-voice. Sin City was great from start to finish.
well said.

MERCILOUS

whobdamandog
Problems with Batman;

Gordon was comic relief.
Picky writers couldn't decide what parts to stay true to and what parts to alter, considering budget wasn't much of a problem.

Problems with Sin city;

Agreed. Bale really over did the voice and was a bit to stiff as Batman. Keaton's Bat was definately better in IMO. He was more cool and collected, while Bale seemed more unpredictable. I guess Goyer and Bale were attempting to give us their own take on the Bat.

I'd have to give Sin City a slight nod over BB..mostly due to the Marv storyline...which was the saving grace of the movie. Overall Sin City was a descent Movie, although not as good as many have made it out to be IMO.

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Agreed. Bale really over did the voice and was a bit to stiff as Batman. Keaton's Bat was definately better in IMO. He was more cool and collected, while Bale seemed more unpredictable. I guess Goyer and Bale were attempting to give us their own take on the Bat.

I'd have to give Sin City a slight nod over BB..mostly due to the Marv storyline...which was the saving grace of the movie. Overall Sin City was a descent Movie, although not as good as many have made it out to be IMO.

roll eyes (sarcastic) He is suppose to be a darker kind of batman, and I find him more true to batman.

Sin City plots were not that great, and Batman's the plot line was wonderful. All though it is nice the art behind sin city, but Batman is still better.

MERCILOUS
roll eyes (sarcastic) He is suppose to be a darker kind of batman, and I find him more true to batman.

Sin City plots were not that great, and Batman's the plot line was wonderful. All though it is nice the art behind sin city, but Batman is still better.

Darkness doesn't come from overacting.

And you like many others just don't appreciate a good tragedy.

vaya_the_elf
Darkness doesn't come from overacting.

And you like many others just don't appreciate a good tragedy.

Guess thats how some view it

What is a good tragedy then? Just because I don't like Sin City. Does not mean that

MERCILOUS
Guess thats how some view it

What is a good tragedy then? Just because I don't like Sin City. Does not mean that

If you have to ask me then it's true you don't appreciate tragedy.

vaya_the_elf
If you have to ask me then it's true you don't appreciate tragedy.

roll eyes (sarcastic) I'm just saying that I don't like Sin City, and it has nothing to with rather I like good tradedy, or not.

MERCILOUS
It has everything to do with it.

cosmicvenger
I liked both movies, but I'd have to say Batman Begins.

Scarecrow756
I have to say Batman Begins because I have not seen Sin City.

GalacticStorm
Sin city all the way. Most enjoyable comic based movie ive ever seen hands down.

who?-kid
Sin City > Batman Begins.

Sin City was a small masterpiece. Batman Begins was not bad, but nothing special, seen it, done it, those kinds of things. Bale was okay, and the movie had some great moments, but the end sucked big time !

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by cosmicvenger
I liked both movies, but I'd have to say Batman Begins.

Yay! Someone is with me smile

Knightfall93
Problems with Batman;

Gordon was comic relief.

Problems with Sin city;

jim Gordon was NOT comic relief! He looked just like in Yr1 and was perfect... gary Oldman rocks!
The camera angles were fine. WTF was that bit about
They stayed true to the comics fine. The Gordon pt is a fine EG
The mask and costume were AWESOME
The voice was beast- like, fantastic
It's not even like we have differing opinions, its just that you're wrong!
BB rules forever! Peace out

AFM19Delta
Sin City hands down!

brainchild81
Originally posted by Knightfall93
jim Gordon was NOT comic relief! He looked just like in Yr1 and was perfect... gary Oldman rocks!
The camera angles were fine. WTF was that bit about
They stayed true to the comics fine. The Gordon pt is a fine EG
The mask and costume were AWESOME
The voice was beast- like, fantastic
It's not even like we have differing opinions, its just that you're wrong!
BB rules forever! Peace out If by "beast- like, fantastic" you mean "forced and it seems like he was trying too hard to sound scary", then yes, the voice was "beast-like"

Nevermind
I loved both these films. Both were great adaptations from their comic book counterparts. However, I'm going with Sin City. Batman Begins had great acting, great script & great directing. Everything a great movie could ask for. Sin City just did it better.

Knightfall93
BB was bad ass! the best comic movie EVER

Miss_Faye
Sin City.

Knightfall93
brainchild, that M- Finite Crisis link was awesome!

brainchild81
Thanks. The guy who did them all is funny as hell. Did you read the other one's he did? He added a new one recently

Knightfall93
I only read M- Finite crisis and the Countdown!

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by Knightfall93
BB was bad ass! the best comic movie EVER

Agrees smile

rockycairns
Sin City because of its slick stylish action the film noir worked very well with the films atmosphere and Marv kicked arse

Flavio
Sin City all the way. Batman Begins is one of the worst and boring movies i've seen.

MrHeavySilence
I expected a lot more out of Sin City. I feel that it didn't follow a good pace and that the director was ultimately sidetracked with the surrealism and cinematography. The fight with the yellow bastard and marv was very disappointing, but I guess you are more appreciative if this is a panel for panel comic book movie. Batman Begins is the best comic book movie in my opinion; it has everything going for it- from the theme of existentialism to its brilliant rationale. The characters were witty and just the whole atmosphere is incredible. And most origin stories portrayed on screen are done poorly (ex: Hulk); but the Batman Begins really got my blood pumping. That whole scene with Bruce and his parents getting shot is a perennial classic in film.

Rafkins_Warning
I have to vote Sin City... it was FAR more interesting to watch than the boring Batman Begins... I mean the first time I saw that it nearly put me to sleep... Sin City wasn't the best movie ever made but it did pretty well to be a comic brought to the big screen... BB was just boring as hell.

On a related note... I should totally write a fanfiction where Miho versus Batman... but it would be quick, and pointless... because she would kill him dead in under a millisecond... she's just so kick ass that way.....

Marcus4600
Originally posted by brainchild81
Sin City. Yes, it is a masterpiece.

I'll cosign to that as well. Sin City was the a comic book turned into a movie, and done flawlessly. Batman Begins was a movie based on a comic book, and was done amazingly. They're both top tier movies, but I'd say Sin City takes this one. Sin City also had the better directors.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.