Neville's Mother. Does she have a role?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

halfbldprincess
i'm not sure if this had been discussed before already but i found this anagram in mugglenet that i found extremely interesting...

"Drooble's Best Blowing Gum" is an anagram of "Gold bribe below St. Mungos"

in harry potter and the OotP, at St Mungos, Neville's mom gave neville a wrapper of "Drooble's Best Blowing Gum" and Neville's granny said something like "another one she gave you" so she must have given him before that. could it be a message she's passing?

what do you think?

NightCrawler341
Possibly.

halfbldprincess
what can possibly be the bribe then? vodemort doing some secret bribing? maybe bribing the goblins? or what?

TheSun
No.

NightCrawler341
Ignore TheSun. He is being his usual self. He will keep saying "No" until he pisses someone off.

halfbldprincess
haha. i know. have seen posts like this in other forums! he's famous for this huh?

NightCrawler341
Pretty much.

NightCrawler341
Hear that, TheSun, your famous now. Now stop with the "no"s.

harry_lover_1
Originally posted by NightCrawler341
Ignore TheSun. He is being his usual self. He will keep saying "No" until he pisses someone off.

Amen to that!!!! He already PO'ed me off.

The Inkeeper
Neville's mother has the intellectual capacity of a steamed carrot.

Now, carrots are not intelligent in general, a steamed one is very, very challenged in the cerebellum.

The Longbottom family were a huge leap backwards for human evolution, now Alice and Frank are just noting but huge balls of shame.

If she was clever enough to make anagrams and give them to her sun, do you really think she would be repeatedly reffered to as mentally retarded?

Phoenix
I personally think that the there are too many anagrams floating around at the mo. In my opinion, jus cos JK used an anagram once (in COS), doesn't means she uses them all the time, and just cos you can find an anagram doesn't mean that JK intended it that way.

I could be totally wrong tho! big grin

shaber
The Longbottoms are only incapable due to injury sustained during their life time. It's not like they were born neanserthals.

As I said when I made a similair thread, it is the author who supplies the anagram, not the character.

The Inkeeper
....For two people to produce a child such as neville, they must have been something similar to the missing link.

shaber
I suspect that Neville has had a powerful memory charm applied to him to suppress the memory of the attack on Frank and Alice. Remember Crouch permanently damaged Bertha Jorkins memory by placing an overly powerful memory charm on her?

The Inkeeper
he wouldnt remember that, he was far too young, although Harry remembers his mother and fathers last moments i believe thats because of his link with Voldemort, and because the Dementors replayed it to him.

Neville is just a genuine fool, who Voldemort should have gone after first, and hopefully killed.

shaber
How do you know he was too young...? It is possible for a child to register and then suppress stuff like this. In the real world it would become a repressed memory.

The Inkeeper
because he was born the same time as Harry.

Which would place him at a VERY young age when his parents were reduced to vegetables.

The attack obviously happened very very soon after Voldemorts fall, so Neville cant have been too old.

and its likely he wasnt even there to witness it. Frank wouldnt tell the death eaters anything, so they tortured his wife too, surely if he still remained quiet they would have attacked Neville if he were present?

Nothing makes new parents talk like placing an illegal and painful curse on their child smile

so its likely he wasnt there.

If he was, surely the noise of "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" "OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH" would have woken him and made him cry?

shaber
Harry Potter registered the painless attack on his mother.

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by shaber
I suspect that Neville has had a powerful memory charm applied to him to suppress the memory of the attack on Frank and Alice. Remember Crouch permanently damaged Bertha Jorkins memory by placing an overly powerful memory charm on her?

I've been pitching the memory charm on Neville for a while. Your the first to say stuff like that.

hbanana
I don't think Neville's mother will be a major part, but Neville keeps getting bigger and better coverage. I think there's more to him than has been covered...

NightCrawler341
Someone needs to life the memory charm off Neville.

The Inkeeper
Originally posted by shaber
Harry Potter registered the painless attack on his mother.

He was in the room, and heard her screaming not to kill him.

My point is that if Neville were at the scene of his parents torture, wouldnt he too have been killed. After all, the only reason alice was tortured was because Frank wouldnt talk, if torturing his wife wouldnt make him reveal his secret then dont you think they would have gone for the baby?

Phoenix
I'm in two minds about this whole thing... I think Nev would have been old enuf to remember if Harry was, because he was born b4 harry and the attack happened later than the attack on L and J... BUT... as Sauron says, if Voldie was quite happy to kill Harry, and the Death Eaters were trying to emulate him, wouldn't they have tortured Nevs as well? Espesh cos they'd be eliminating the 2nd Prophecy Boy...

The Inkeeper
but what im trying to say is, if Frank wouldnt talk when being tortured, they tortured Alice to tempt him, that didnt work, so if neville had been present dont you think when Frank continued to remain silent they would have tortured neville to tempt him further?

and also it cant have been too much longer after the attack on Lilly and James, and Voldemort's downfall, as the Lestranges were caught soon after the downfall.

Jackie Malfoy
She might play a inporant role in the story.I noted by reading the five books that everyone either small or big plays some inporant role in the books.
If not they should not be there.JM

halfbldprincess
perhaps she has recovered but just pretending to be retarded? because she's in service or someone?

and please don't call Neville a fool. although he is not someone we'd call a hero but i think he has proven himself to be brave in book 1 and especially in book 5 where he was willing to battle voldemort. i think he deserves our respect.

The Inkeeper
The boy is a fool, as proved in every book.

Also will sombody please say if they agree with me that Neville was not at the scene of his parents torture and therefore couldnt and wouldnt remember it happening, and therefore wouldnt need to be placed under a memory charm, therefore his inability to do even a simple magic trick is not the fault of sombody trying to protect him, but his own incapable brain the result of being the child sprung from the loins of the two 'missing link' Longbottoms.

The Inkeeper
Argh mad

~Air Angel~
Actually what would be good is if there were a way to undo a memory charm.

I can see Hermoine figuring out how to. She's the smart one!

Hermione202
i'm not sure

The Inkeeper
Memory charms can be broken yes

~Air Angel~
I think its possible to have them cracked and find out what we need to know. Sometimes the one person who knows what you need to know has had a memory lapse!

So it makes sense. yes

JohnnyBloom
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
She might play a inporant role in the story.I noted by reading the five books that everyone either small or big plays some inporant role in the books.
If not they should not be there.JM

yeah i've found that everyone has their role - like sirius lending hagrid the flying motorbike ... you don't realise it's relevant until the 3rd book, but it helps to click teh plot together!

Phoenix
Originally posted by halfbldprincess
perhaps she has recovered but just pretending to be retarded? because she's in service or someone?

and please don't call Neville a fool. although he is not someone we'd call a hero but i think he has proven himself to be brave in book 1 and especially in book 5 where he was willing to battle voldemort. i think he deserves our respect.

Sorry to be arsey, but can I ask people to not use the word 'retarded'? Its really rather derogatory (or, at least, I find it so...)

Thanx! big grin

NightCrawler341
Will mentally challenge work? I'm not trying to sound rude, I am just curious.

Phoenix
mentally ill would be better...

shaber
Should be incapacitated to emphasise that she wasn't born that way.

Phoenix
either is good

dark1365
I remember Barty Crouch Jr. saying that an extremely powerful memory charm was put on Bertha Jorkins, too powerful that it damaged her memory permanently.

So this probably means that the weaker ones can be lifted, but the weak ones fade away by themselves. My guess is that any M.Charms that do lasting damage probably most likely do permanent damage.

The Inkeeper
But WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY would Neville have a memory charm placed on him?

WHY!?

To forget what? That he wasnt there when his parents died???????! mad

SOMBODY SEE MY POINT! cry

NightCrawler341
What kind of memory charms are there and what are they used for? Can this hide power from the person that has the memory charm on them?

The Inkeeper
Im just going to go and kill myself.

NightCrawler341
Have fun. ^.^

The Inkeeper
Fun doesnt exist for me happy

NightCrawler341
o.O

The Inkeeper
no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.