Your all time top 5 Comics or Comic runs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whirlysplat
Your all time top 5 Comics or Comic runs, these are interchangeable. I thought long and hard here are mine.

1 Sandman "A game of you" run (Gaiman) (DC) Reason: never seen anything like it, before or since.
1 Miracleman "Olympus" run (Moore) (Eclipse) Reason: as above
2 Avengers 166 - 200 (Jim Shooter, George Perez) (best mainstream run ever) (Marvel) Reason: Graviton, Nefaria, Michael Korvac as the Enemy, The guardians of the Galaxy, Wundagorre, Imortus, Beat + Wonderman gay subtext (joking), this was a genius run and the best fun prior to the Authority.
3 Marvels (Kurt Busiek, Alex Ross) (Marvel) Reason: Genius
4 Watchman (Moore) DC Reason: Never seen anything like it
5 Hellblazer "Original Sins" run (Jamie Delano) (DC) Reason: It started the magic rebirth and was topical and genius at the end of the eighties.

These are mine, What are yours?

pr1983
I've probably read alot less comics than most here, but i'll give it a shot...

In no particular order...

Kingdom Come... Finally used some of Superman's potential to be a decent character... Stunning Art and great writing...

Cable and Deadpool... Simply the funniest comics i've ever read...

Uncanny X-Men... Any issue during the periods of Madureira, Jim Lee and Portacio, those guys were amazing, and the writing in some issues was great... this was before X-Men was just about Wolverine and his ability to appear in every issue...

Dark Knight Returns... I only recently read this, amazing...

Daredevil when done by Frank Miller...

whirlysplat
Some Good choices there PR

Kingdom Come rated highest for me of you choices its excellent.

Miller Daredevil was great sadly its dated as has Darknight Returns

The X men run you chose was excellent

Never read Cable deadpool so I can't comment

Spideys Sister
Alll Spiderman...so I can't really post but....
1. Ultimate Spidey vol.#9 like the sinister six only it's not.
2.Spidergirl #5....Funny watching someone hit their dad.
3.Spectacular Spiderman #1. Last bit of the Scarlett spider you'll see.
4.Ultimate Spidey vol.#10 movie of a movie or something like that.
5.Amazing Spiderman # 1 the revised version of the one that started it all.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
Alll Spiderman...so I can't really post but....
1. Ultimate Spidey vol.#9 like the sinister six only it's not.
2.Spidergirl #5....Funny watching someone hit their dad.
3.Spectacular Spiderman #1. Last bit of the Scarlett spider you'll see.
4.Ultimate Spidey vol.#10 movie of a movie or something like that.
5.Amazing Spiderman # 1 the revised version of the one that started it all.

So you.... um..... like Spidey, I like the Ultimate Spiderman stuff as well. It was a good update for the kids. It made him relevant to youngsters again. big grin OK

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by whirlysplat
So you.... um..... like Spidey, I like the Ultimate Spiderman stuff as well. It was a good update for the kids. It made him relevant to youngsters again. big grin OK Obsessed is more like it...embarrasment But its good they made new one avalible...I only have a little bit of the old ones so I don't get all of his aspects...but I got the basics.

pr1983
I like marvel knights spidey, dodson is an amazing spidey penciller imo...

whirlysplat
Very True

pr1983
and i dont think any of millers dd or dkr is dated... its alot better than most of the stuff today...

whirlysplat
Originally posted by pr1983
and i dont think any of millers dd or dkr is dated... its alot better than most of the stuff today...

True its better than most stuff now. But politically both have dated in the same way V for Vendetta, Watchman has and even Miracleman (gasp). I read them at the time pr, thats right I am that old big grin And they were both social predictions as much as reinventions of classics. The best Batman was the Schwatz/Austin Bats of the early/mid seventies, no, I read them in reprint in the late seventies, I am not that old!

pr1983
True its better than most stuff now. But politically both have dated in the same way V for Vendetta, Watchman has and even Miracleman (gasp). I read them at the time pr, thats right I am that old big grin And they were both social predictions as much as reinventions of classics. The best Batman was the Schwatz/Austin Bats of the early/mid seventies, no, I read them in reprint in the late seventies, I am not that old!

lol, i didnt read those...

as for the social side, they are comics and are seperate worlds... stick out tongue

whirlysplat
Originally posted by pr1983
lol, i didnt read those...

as for the social side, they are comics and are seperate worlds... stick out tongue

Yes but Miller was trying to do something very clever and was at times parodying styles of popular culture at the time, as well as making political and satirical points. Thats kinda been lost especially in Darknight as the anarchy predicted is not really happening instead a more conservativve America appeared, less forgiving to criminals especially post 9/11. big grin

pr1983
Yes but Miller was trying to do something very clever and was at times parodying styles of popular culture at the time, as well as making political and satirical points. Thats kinda been lost especially in Darknight as the anarchy predicted is not really happening instead a more conservativve America appeared, less forgiving to criminals especially post 9/11. big grin

granted... but i still view them as seperate entities...

whirlysplat
Fair enough, If you haven't read it already, given your good taste take a look at Watchman big grin

pr1983
Fair enough, If you haven't read it already, given your good taste take a look at Watchman big grin

I may just do that...

darnit i realised i forgot to add kabuki to my list...

ScarletSpider
OMG NOOBS! BENDIS BENDIS! THERE IS ONLY BENDIS! JUST BENDIS! NOTHING OTHER THAN BENDIS! HE IS GOD! HE IS BENDIS!

pr1983
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
OMG NOOBS! BENDIS BENDIS! THERE IS ONLY BENDIS! JUST BENDIS! NOTHING OTHER THAN BENDIS! HE IS GOD! HE IS BENDIS!

die...

long pig
Lobo's one shots are all gold. The series is horrible though.

Milk & Cheese series, the all time funniest comic.

Deathstroke 1-20ish, after that, they ran out of things to write about.

Kigdom Come.

Orion series.

Dark knight returns.

Also, I really enjoyed the Weapon X storyline from MCP. Back then, Wolverine was pretty awesome.

Dr.Strange new mini was...good. Not very consistant to the real deal, but good.

Whirly was right about Sandman series, nothing before or after has come close.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
OMG NOOBS! BENDIS BENDIS! THERE IS ONLY BENDIS! JUST BENDIS! NOTHING OTHER THAN BENDIS! HE IS GOD! HE IS BENDIS! Yes...He is god...But Stan Lee Is God of God.big grin

whirlysplat
Bendis is very good but he is not the best of the newer breed, JMS is by a long way.

Mainstream
I like Bendis and Geoff Johns myself

whirlysplat
So top 5 anyone with justification

whirlysplat
bump

tkitna
The Infinity Gauntlet - as close to perfection in a story as i've read (with an exception to the Killing Joke)

Peter Davids run with the Hulk - made the character interesting with great story lines and some great art along the way also from McFarland and Keown

Mark Gruenwalds run with Captain America - issue #345 when the Watchdogs killed Walkers parents,,,,well, its tough to get a book that powerful anymore.

The Watchmen - this really doesnt need any explanations but its good from start to finish

Erik Larsens 'Freak Force' - (I know) I could have chosen Claremonts Dark Phoenix Saga or Millers Daredevil and etc,,,,but this series always entertained me. Not a masterpiece, but I always anticipated the next issue.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by tkitna
The Infinity Gauntlet - as close to perfection in a story as i've read (with an exception to the Killing Joke)

Peter Davids run with the Hulk - made the character interesting with great story lines and some great art along the way also from McFarland and Keown

Mark Gruenwalds run with Captain America - issue #345 when the Watchdogs killed Walkers parents,,,,well, its tough to get a book that powerful anymore.

The Watchmen - this really doesnt need any explanations but its good from start to finish

Erik Larsens 'Freak Force' - (I know) I could have chosen Claremonts Dark Phoenix Saga or Millers Daredevil and etc,,,,but this series always entertained me. Not a masterpiece, but I always anticipated the next issue.

Some good choices here, some I personally am not so keen on as you but thats comics.

The Infinity Gauntlet was good imo, but a little overblown, it was revisionist and quite daring at times though. Killing joke was very daring, especially the BDSM midgets in the fun house and Gordon dressed in bondage wear kinky.

Peter Davids Hulk was cool especially the Troyjan War, I liked Gary Franks art best, but again thats an opinion.

Gruenwalds Cap was excellent, good choice for a mainstream run, Walker went crazy, poor peeper or whatever he was calling himself occulus I thinkbig grin very good choice.

The Watchmen excellent, Alan Moores second best work after Miracleman imo

All other choices equally good, if you read 137 in continuity you must be mid thirties big grin you know your comics mate, thumbup

tkitna
Your good,,,,,i'm 35. Lol.

whirlysplat
I'm around that a little older big grin

FieryBalrog
Mostly X-men related...

I loved the entire Phoenix Saga from 100 to 137... my favorite run ever.

number 2 would be GM's run on New X-men 114-154, especially Here Comes Tomorrow and Imperial.

number 3 would be Inferno

number 4....... Ultimate Spidey #s 1-12 or so

and no. 5 ... hmm.. the Mutant Massacre storyline.

MERCILOUS
1. Lone Wolf and Cub.

2. Hellblazer.

3. Sandman (Gaiman).

4. L.E.G.I.O.N..

5. maybe... anything Lobo.

long pig
Merc' my man always holds down lobo, indeed good sir...indeed.

I totally forgot about the IG....wtf....that's the greatest story arc to ever exist!

Nothing stands up to it, it should be in librarys and considered a masterpeice.
Pure Awesomeness, I suggest anyone who wants to see what the big deal me and 90% of the other fans on the VS forum see with Thanos/Strange/Warlock/SilverSufer to PICK IT UP!
It's in TPB, and purdy cheap.

Whirly, have you ever read the old Gladiator story(pre-superman), I think since you like The man o' steel so much,(rightly sobig grin) you'd like to read the novel about the character who spawned SM. big grin

whirlysplat
I've read all Philip Whylie's novels longpig I have several threads on Gladiator getting his name from the Wylie character on this thread. Its like stappletons odd john being the first super mutant. Perry Rhodan have an Xmen like group in it before the Xmen etc. big grin

Keep the faith big grin

Stay Whirly rock

Nataku8188
1) Deadpool - Funeral for a freak
2) Identity Crisis
3) Green Arrow - Quiver
4) Sword of Azrael
5) The End (Marvel)
6) The Ultimates v1 and 2
7) Kingdom Come
8) Appleseed
9) X-force 1-20ish

So it's more than 5, bite me.

whirlysplat
Some good choices nataku, how about your reasons for liking these? and Appleseed interesting unusual and good choicebig grinOriginally posted by Nataku8188
2) Identity Crisis
3) Green Arrow - Quiver
4) Sword of Azrael
5) The End (Marvel)
7) Kingdom Come
8) Appleseed
9) X-force 1-20ish

So it's more than 5, bite me.

Nataku8188

-After the whole Weapon X fiasco (Which I kinda include as part of this arc) it's interesting to see how Deadpool handles his different personalities, the loss of his memory, and the chaos that ensues. Plus the very first part of FfaF has almost every character that cameoed in a DP comic show up to his funeral.

2) Identity Crisis

- To me, there really wasn't much to say about this except that the whole thing was completely unpredictable. Anyone who says they knew it was coming, is a total liar. Of course there were clues, but definitly not to the exact endings. Not only that, but issue 5 was really, really deep (as far as I'm concerned)

3) Green Arrow - Quiver

- One of the few times where I thought the return of a character to life actually worked. Smith is a great writer, and he managed to give GA the Batman family style feel, what with the son, the new apprentice, the dysfunctional old apprentice, etc. The art was amazing, and it was just fun to read.

4) Sword of Azrael

- My favorite Azrael story that I've read, I love the art, I love Azrael, and I love watching Batman take backseat in a story.

5) The End (Marvel)

- Really helped bring out Thanos' true character with this one, so far it's my favorite The End story, followed closely by The Hulk's.

- Reinventing the Avengers for a more realistic (sort of) and intriguing read. I've always had a dislike for the Avengers, seemed pretty corny, but the Ultimates made the characters more real, gave them some actual depth. Plus Hulk and C.A. are hilarious together.

7) Kingdom Come

- Riveting. Beautiful. Not much more to say.

8) Appleseed

- I'll sum this up in one word, "genius".

9) X-force 1-20ish

- Cause Deadpool and Shatterstar rule.

whirlysplat
Good choices The only one I haven't read is the Deadpool one, good choice of Mainstream run in early Xforce commercial but funbig grin
Appleseed classic
Ultimates Avengers but up to date

yup all good choices imo

willRules
5) The Ultimates Vol 2
4)Ultimate X-men Vol 1
3) Daredevil Guardian Devil
2) Crossover Classics Marvel and DC Vol 1
1) Secret wars

whirlysplat
Reasons Will?

willRules
5) I think Caps costume is grat in vol1 and two. Plus the ultimates vol2 is the type of storyline that makes me think that it would make a great movie.
4) Some great parts from that ultimate x-men storyline. e.g. the part where Wolvie underestimates Jean and she telekineticaly throws him into the side of a cliff.
3)I loved Joe Quesadas art in Guardian Devil.
2) Brillant crossovers in that book. Spidey and supes in 2 stories. Hulk and Batman. Teen titans and the x-men.
1) Best novel I own. Millions of fight scenes which i like, between characters that don't normally fight plus in one panel Spidey swats wolvie away like he is nothing which is great for a spidey fanboy like me.

willRules
*sorry i mean caps costume is great

whirlysplat
I hated secret wars, at the time its aim was to sell a range of action figures, Ultimates is a good choice though big grin

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
Merc' my man always holds down lobo, indeed good sir...indeed.

I totally forgot about the IG....wtf....that's the greatest story arc to ever exist!

Nothing stands up to it, it should be in librarys and considered a masterpeice.
Pure Awesomeness, I suggest anyone who wants to see what the big deal me and 90% of the other fans on the VS forum see with Thanos/Strange/Warlock/SilverSufer to PICK IT UP!
It's in TPB, and purdy cheap.

really?.... i read it a few years ago and felt it just lacked something.... not one of my favourites.... sad

i never pay attention to the writers/artists names in each comic so i couldn't possibly say who my favourite stories were done by

whirlysplat
bump

whirlysplat
bump

tkitna
I hate to keep bringing up the Hulk, but 'Future Imperfect' was also incredible. The Maestro, Rick Jones collection of felled artifacts, the Hulk being humbled,,,,,fantastic read.

I also enjoyed the 'Teen Titans/X-Men' crossover. Probably not the greatest story, but there were tid-bits that interested me. I especially liked when the Terminator missed attempting to hit Wolverine. Darkseid, Dark Phoenix, etc,,,,. Entertaining!

willRules
Originally posted by tkitna
I hate to keep bringing up the Hulk, but 'Future Imperfect' was also incredible. The Maestro, Rick Jones collection of felled artifacts, the Hulk being humbled,,,,,fantastic read.

I also enjoyed the 'Teen Titans/X-Men' crossover. Probably not the greatest story, but there were tid-bits that interested me. I especially liked when the Terminator missed attempting to hit Wolverine. Darkseid, Dark Phoenix, etc,,,,. Entertaining!

Yeah that story is in my top five it was great when terminator got humilated by wolvie! eek!

hoorayforpeepee
astonishing x-men: even though we're only 11 issues in, i can already tell this'll be my favorite x-run of all time.

the invisibles: first vertigo comic i ever read, and it completely floored me. even though the ending was unsatisfying and borderline incomprehensible.

planetary: cassaday is a great artist, and the appearances by sherlock holmes and dracula, along with the millions of homages...just a great comic.

transmetropolitan: the second vertigo book i read, and it blew me almost as far away as invisibles did.

er...i have a multi way tie for fifth place, but for now i'll just give it over to the grant morrison run of justice league.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by hoorayforpeepee
astonishing x-men: even though we're only 11 issues in, i can already tell this'll be my favorite x-run of all time.

the invisibles: first vertigo comic i ever read, and it completely floored me. even though the ending was unsatisfying and borderline incomprehensible.

planetary: cassaday is a great artist, and the appearances by sherlock holmes and dracula, along with the millions of homages...just a great comic.

transmetropolitan: the second vertigo book i read, and it blew me almost as far away as invisibles did.

er...i have a multi way tie for fifth place, but for now i'll just give it over to the grant morrison run of justice league.

I liked the invisibles a lotbig grin

long pig
I just read "What is it that disturbs you, Stephen?", it was pretty sweet.

The Father
This thread is interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.