Bruce Wayne may no longer be Batman!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kieralinn
Infinite Crisis rumors are running wild that DC is going to have Bruce Wayne hang up the cowl or pass it on to someone else by the end of this arc. That means NO MORE BRUCE AS BATS!!!

They have dropped hints that there will be a definate sucessor to Batman revealed soon. Now how do you guys feel about that? I myself.....hate and I mean this in no uncertain terms.....absolutely hate this idea! Bruce Wayne IS Batman! You can't just decide to change that??!! To me this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard!

If they get rid of Bruce Wayne as Batman..it had better be temporary! Or they have just lost me as a fan...utterly and completely! mad

There is no end to how POed this is getting me!

WindDancer
DC just doesn't learn from it's mistakes. Look at what they did to Green Lantern. Hal Jordan is the perfect GL and they went on transform the character so much that it got pathetic. Eventually they put things back lately with the rebirth of Hal. But is just obvious DC is out to prove something. And personally I get the feeling that they doing all of this to get mixed feelings from the fans. As long as they leave Detective Comics alone is fine.

Also don't be surprise if DC is having a feud with WB. They've taken their two most notirious Heroes (Batman and Superman) and claim them as their own. Most likely DC Comics wants to prove that they too can do anything to their characters.

GothamProtector
what the **** if they do that i will never read dc again in my life

OtterVomit
I guess they didn't learn from Jean Paul Valley.

GothamProtector
Where u hear this crap. Hes too original to change. Hes Batman

Kieralinn
It is being reported on differing comics news sites. Comics Continuum had one where it was at one of the ComiCons and one of the DC guys said We will know who will be the next Batman by the end of the arc.

Now Knightfall was one thing..Bruce was injured and it was a temporary situation...but the way the talk is going is that this will be permanent! That he will quit entirely or just mentor someone from now on. Or maybe even be killed off. That's where if they do something like that I will never read another DC comic again either.

Kieralinn
http://comics.ign.com/articles/598/598330p4.html

A link to one of these stories.

pr1983
This is some messed up shit... Bruce is Batman, thats like saying Clark Kent isnt Superman...

Joker1237
IF they kill off Wayne as Batman, than they better kill off the Joker while there at it.

this is crazy talk.

wuTa
wtf happened to batman beyond...that was perfect way for bruce to end his career as batman...this shit is ludacrous, and if they make dick grayson batman...i'm gonna be PISSED!!!!.....nightwing is the T!TS!!!!

Impediment
DC didn't learn when Doomsday "killed" Superman, they didn't learn with the "new and improved" Red and Blue Superman crap, they didn't learn with switching up Hal Jordan as GL, and they DEFINATLEY didn't learn when Azrael became the "New Batman"................so why do you think they'd learn by now??

lifeisaglich
Well I don't have much to say but if DC is really planning on killing off Bruce Wayne as batman then they should start learning how to take the very last back seat to what will be one of the best in the Comic business....Marvel. Because there are alot of Bruce Waynes in the Marvel universe....Case in point Black Panther, Cap. America, Tony Stark...Mr. Miracle...I can't think of any. In any case if DC kill's off Bruce Wayne as batman they will be in a world of Hurt. Financially and from emotional fans.

Mainstream
so who gonna be the new batman.....Dick, Tim, Jean Valley, Jason, Alfred, Micheal Jackson, who?

Tthe Almighty
Bruce wayne is batman and getting rid of batman means the end of a legacy, the comics have all over the world and the movies were great.
But i have seen tha after the new batman movie there might be a seguel to that. i dont no though can u believe that?.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Tthe Almighty
Bruce wayne is batman and getting rid of batman means the end of a legacy, the comics have all over the world and the movies were great.
But i have seen tha after the new batman movie there might be a seguel to that. i dont no though can u believe that?.

I don't know about movies..his latest one is....now the time has come for the boy wonder to begin......(in part 3 that is)

b-dan
this has been done before dc did the comics for that bat man show in the future and its about time he retried (old fart) my fave comic hero is still kicking go hellboy Happy Dance

Red Superfly
*Has memories of Ben Reilly taking over as Spider-Man*

It won't work. It WILL be temporary if it does go through.

These things never last, but can be quite useful. When a character gets a little run-down and over-explorred, with writers scrapping the barrel, bringing in a successor makes things slightly fresher, with a new start, new ties and attitudes.

However, the most important thing is that these successors usually make the audience YEARN to see the original back in their costume, regardless of whether the successor is better or worse than the original.

My guess is that we'll see the new Batman, but ultimately, whether it takes a few months or decades, my estimation is that Bruce will retake the mantle as Batman, with his successor either being killed off or made into a different character.

It happens.

Phoenix_Avatar9
I dont think it will last, remember "Patience Phillips" embarrasment

bakerboy
That is stupid. Bruce Wayne should be always batman, as peter parker should be always spiderman or clark kent superman.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by bakerboy
That is stupid. Bruce Wayne should be always batman, as peter parker should be always spiderman or clark kent superman.

Of course, but comic book readers need to be reminded that there is no substitute. They tried with Spider-Man and Ben Reilly, and it just didn't fly. Everyone realised just how cool Peter was. It got chins wagging, latters were pourring in pleading for them to bring Pete back, but in the meantime we got a new set of stories.

I wouldn't worry about it. If he does change, I am confident we'll see Bruce as Batman again, and maybe we'll get a rich character in return (whoever becomes Batman will get a huge readership that most new heroes don't ever get, so it may thrust a new character into the limelight, then it'll switch back to Bruce as Batman).

This sort of thing happens all the time in comics.

What would be cool is if Bruce was put out of action and is forced to retire. He sorts out a replacement. We see a new Batman and his story. Eventually, Bruce recovers and says "right, I'm Batman now" and takes over again. The writers would have a nice new character with a lot of depth behind him.

Or, they could do what Marvel did with the Ben Reilly issue, and just kill him off, say sorry to the public, and have the original one back.

NoFate007
Or they could pull the old thing where they have a few issues and then a character wakes up and its all a dream, or the way comics are, an alternate reality

Sileas
red superfly, if i could quote all of your posts, ....well, just imagine them here.

they've got what most people are calling a successful movie, and batman has always been popular, more or less. it would be like....like ford re-designing their top selling car, taurus. 'member what happened with that? they said they were being "bold" in taking the car that at the time was the top selling mid-sized sedan and ....well, fixing what wasn't broke. they promptly lost the top spot to camry and haven't regained it since.

and yeah, what happened to superman. now, don't get me wrong---I own one comic book. (elseworlds, a batman one, The Devil's Workshop). but I think it will be another knightfall/death of superman thing. just shaking things up. you people may say that dc doesn't learn from its mistakes, and that may be true, but if you show them the button to blow up planet earth, no one would be rushing to hit that button. they'd certainly be blowing up planet DC by killing/retiring my man bruce. er, i mean the man behind the mask of batman. yeah. that sounds more professional.....

so just looking at this from the viewpoint of an only marginally educated comic book outsider, i'd agree with red. it's just a ploy to get people excited and agitated and buying every batman comic book that rolls off the press because "THIS MIGHT BE THE LAST ONE WITH BRUCE!!!!!" and dc laughs all the way to the bank.

tpaquin
I've lost 90% of my faith in the continuing adventures in the comics. I'll stick to reliving, or discovering the old ones, thank you.

systemshock2
Originally posted by Red Superfly
*Has memories of Ben Reilly taking over as Spider-Man*

It won't work. It WILL be temporary if it does go through.

These things never last, but can be quite useful. When a character gets a little run-down and over-explorred, with writers scrapping the barrel, bringing in a successor makes things slightly fresher, with a new start, new ties and attitudes.

However, the most important thing is that these successors usually make the audience YEARN to see the original back in their costume, regardless of whether the successor is better or worse than the original.

My guess is that we'll see the new Batman, but ultimately, whether it takes a few months or decades, my estimation is that Bruce will retake the mantle as Batman, with his successor either being killed off or made into a different character.

It happens.

Damn Superfly you hit the nail right on the head. It's all been done before with Superman, Spiderman, and now apparently twice with Batman. It'll still be a good ride to hop on and see what happens, I mean wasn't it fun every month to catch up on the Reign of the Supermen saga, or the Knightfall/Knight Quest saga to eventually see the original Superman and Batman return. (The Spiderman Clone saga sucked IMO) But if it's done right, and the plot twists make sense, then I'll still be there each week. But rest assured that this "retirement" will only be temporary.

Bludhaven Boy
Okay, from what I am hearing, everyone demands status quo. That's what you all really seem to want. That is some boring shit. They have all-stars to deal with the iconic versions of the characters now. If these characters are going to grow and change and remain interesting, eventually they have to grow old and retire. Think of the well handled transitions, Dick to Nightwing, Wally to The Flash. Sidekicks are supposed to take over the legacies, that's why guy's like Bruce bother putting them into danger so young in the first place. Nightwing is what, 23? Bruce was 25 when he started, and Nightwing is much better now than Bruce was then. Same goes for Tim. Batman is human. That's what has always really made the character interesting. He is at least 38 years old or so now, more if DC didn't fudge it so often. If you want Bruce to always, always be Batman, go ahead and stop reading comics now. If it is always taken for granted that Bruce is Batman, then it is a foregone conclusion that he will always win, and nothing will ever change, so why bother reading any stories with him to begin with? Yeah, real interesting stuff that. Anyway, my point is that if this is handled correctly it will be a good thing. If not, we have another Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner problem.

Bludhaven Boy
Also, legends of the dark knight will always probably be a Bruce book. You want episodic adventures that have no lasting impact on the character's future (according to you guys characters don't get futures, they just get reinvented over and over) then books like that and All-Stars are what you will want to be reading.

animal666
Bruce will eventually come back to be Bats, Dick will Mature into Red Robin, and Tim would be another character altogether. I Think we all need to read into the future events (Like Kingdom come, and the Beyond series) to realize that DC can't screw up over the long term of the characters.....sure they can do it now and then in the short term (as what we call mistakes) to hike sales.....remember that these people are sales people with targets to achieve, thats all!!!

Gregory
My problem wouldn't be having Bruce Wayne retire, exactly, since, 1) nobody seems to be writing him worth a damn recently, 2) they could still do interesting things with him, and 3) it would prevent stagnation (also, 4) it doesn't effect me, since my only relationship with that sort of comic now-adays is reading about them on the internet).

My problem is with replacing him as Batman. They always do that, and it seems like nobody realizes how much it cheapens the characters. When you have someone replace and established hero--Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Wildcat, Dr. Fate, Blue Beetle (apparently)--you're essentially admitting that the original hero was, in fact, nothing special. Completely replacable, as a matter of fact. That's no way for heroes to be.

Lord Shadow Z
Batman is Bruce Waynes symbol in the fight on crime, no-one elses.
To Jean Paul, Dick Grayson etc. Batman is more of someone to look up to rather than be and it showed when they wore the mantle themselves.

Bardock42
I actually liek that Idea. They should just have some back door open (like don't kill hi off or anything). A predecessor of Batman...be it Dick or somebody else could make some decent story arcs...and if Bruce Wayne were ever to return it would also give him a new chance for good stories. Can work in my opinion.

Mainstream
I like Bruce Wayne Batman but at the same time Dick or Tim (with some more training) could feel Batman's Boots..I'm not gonna be one of those fans that goes "Bruce Wayne is Batman he has too always be Batman or the world would explode." But even if Dick or Tim became Batman they'd have some pretty big boots to feel.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mainstream
I like Bruce Wayne Batman but at the same time Dick or Tim (with some more training) could feel Batman's Boots..I'm not gonna be one of those fans that goes "Bruce Wayne is Batman he has too always be Batman or the world would explode." But even if Dick or Tim became Batman they'd have some pretty big boots to feel.

They would actually need too...and that would give some really good stories for the first few years (Kyle Rayner had awesome stories, and jsut imagine the relationship to the JLA)....it could be really, really interesting. Tim, sadly enough is too young...he would have been the prefect Bat.

Mainstream
Dick could be Batman....he was for a while in fact during that Bane storyline...he did it before...he could do it again..yeah Tim is a bit young...but in 5 to 8 years (DC comics time) who knows?

Cascador
I agree with red superfly...they would like the new batman in the beginning but in the end the original is better...that's also how I feel with Batman Beyond.

Gregory
The real problem with Batman Beyond, I always felt, was that it took Batman and changed him into another super-powered hero with that suit of his. Is the mantle of the Bat really so inconsequential that some teenager in a power-suit can now carry it?

Mainstream
yeah Batman Beyond made it look like an young punk in a fancy suit could be Batman....though I didn't think it was a terrible show.

streekz
Is it just me or is the hero called BATMAN!!!
NOT BRUCE WAYNE.

I would understand if it was superman cuz clark kent has the powers.
But bruce doesnt and time doesnt stand still.

Everyone moves on,
Bruce wudnt be batman at the age of 60 or he would get his back side kicked.

Batman will still be crime fightin but a new face behind the mask gives it a more realistic story than bruce wayne being batman for thousands of years unless he never ages..

Or If batman is bruce wayne and no one else then when he retires that means end of batz.

No one likes change but it happens..

Mainstream
I could see Batman's "son" taking the mantle. Batman like a king...and like all kings sooner or later he'll have to step down and let the Prince (Dick Grayson) take care of the kingdom (Gotham)

exanda kane
It'd just be unsucessful if they ever changed it. They'd end up bringing Brucie back from the Retirement Home.

Mainstream
Originally posted by exanda kane
It'd just be unsucessful if they ever changed it. They'd end up bringing Brucie back from the Retirement Home.

I can see it now "Grumpy Old Batman Returns"

streekz
The return of bruce wayne.............. The Bat(old)man

New weapons include the Batzimerframe and the Bathearin aid.

Mainstream
Originally posted by streekz
The return of bruce wayne.............. The Bat(old)man

New weapons include the Batzimerframe and the Bathearin aid.

or "old Batman Rebegins"

streekz
or "old Batman Rebegins"

Each fight wud last a week. they wud need 3 movies just to get him from the old peoples home to the fight scene.............lol laughing

Mainstream
yeah....but at least he could park the batmobile in the handicap spots

eleveninches
Originally posted by Kieralinn
Infinite Crisis rumors are running wild that DC is going to have Bruce Wayne hang up the cowl or pass it on to someone else by the end of this arc. That means NO MORE BRUCE AS BATS!!!

They have dropped hints that there will be a definate sucessor to Batman revealed soon. Now how do you guys feel about that? I myself.....hate and I mean this in no uncertain terms.....absolutely hate this idea! Bruce Wayne IS Batman! You can't just decide to change that??!! To me this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard!

If they get rid of Bruce Wayne as Batman..it had better be temporary! Or they have just lost me as a fan...utterly and completely! mad

There is no end to how POed this is getting me! Well, they've killed off superman at least once (one time for 6 months), and they killed wonder woman a few times as well, but batman is the only one of the big 3 to be killed, so its about time IMO. He will probably be restored within a year of the end of OYL. And he hasnt always been batman. Dids't someone else take over the role when he broke his back?

streekz
Originally posted by eleveninches
Well, they've killed off superman at least once (one time for 6 months), and they killed wonder woman a few times as well, but batman is the only one of the big 3 to be killed, so its about time IMO. He will probably be restored within a year of the end of OYL. And he hasnt always been batman. Dids't someone else take over the role when he broke his back?

Yes he moved on to become AZRAEL.
He is apparently dead, but dead aint dead in comic book storylines.

streekz
yeah....but at least he could park the batmobile in the handicap spots

Never thought of that, i wonder if the bat suit gets wrinkly like him? confused

he will have to be the daylight knight cuz he wud have to be back at the old peoples home before it gets dark.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Kieralinn

There is no end to how POed this is getting me!

This is all more the reason why DC and Marvel should just stop, and start releasing everything old in tpb and archive books.

DC has 70 years of stories of there characters. I think that is a enough.
After Infinite crisis is over I'm planning on only collecting bronze age comics of the big DC characters.

From 1987-2006 or 2007 That is enough for me.

I'm halfway there with superman
quarter of the way with GL
20% of the way Batman
1% with wonder woman
1% with flash
85% with aquaman
100% (I think) with hawkman

wuTa
Originally posted by eleveninches
Well, they've killed off superman at least once (one time for 6 months), and they killed wonder woman a few times as well, but batman is the only one of the big 3 to be killed, so its about time IMO. He will probably be restored within a year of the end of OYL. And he hasnt always been batman. Dids't someone else take over the role when he broke his back?

Azreal, than he got fired and Grayson took over

Cascador
I could see Batman's "son" taking the mantle. Batman like a king...and like all kings sooner or later he'll have to step down and let the Prince (Dick Grayson) take care of the kingdom (Gotham)

I could live with that, but not some punk he found on the streets like batman beyond....

Knightfall93
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Bruce is Batman... Batman IS Bruce. I thought Dick was his own man now! I thought Tim ran away from Gotham after his pop popped his clogs (lol). And I'm SURE that Cass is a woman and Oracle ditto, same for Huntress. Is Alfred gonna drive the Bat- Rolls and fight crime? Is Orpheus gonna rise from the grave and continue being a wannabe hero but now as the black MOCK Batman. Dick's the only real possibility and well, I think it would be OK for a mini- series. A running elseworlds style comic called "Rise of the New Bat" or somethin' that went parallel to the REAL BRUCE STORIES! Killing Bruce would be shit- end of story. But I reckon they'll make Jason the new Batman, even though it'd be dumb cos he isn't "emotionally stable" and how can he ever cope? PS. Can someone tell me the story of Behind the Hood, where Jason returns as the Red Hood. And why don't peops send in their votes for the next Batman:

A. Just keep Bruce!
B. Dick.
C. Tim.
D. Jason.
E. Alfred.
F. Commisioner gordon.
G. The ghost of Ra's al Ghul(looooooollllllll)

Knightfall93
There is one Batman. His name is not Dick Grayson. His name is NOT Jean Paul Valley. His name is NOT Tim Drake. HE IS BRUCE WAYNE!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.