Robin in Batman Begins Sequel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Personally I wouldn't like to see Robin introduced into this franchise but everyone has different views on this and it seems like a worthy discussion. Basically, would you like to see Robin in a sequel?

Also, here is what director Christopher Nolan recently had to say about the subject:

"Like Begins, one clear cut villain isn't the plan " and the likelihood of Robin appearing "The studio wasn't interested in Robin. We weren't either. This is a young Batman, so Robin's a few films....not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson's still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin's in the franchise" says Nolan.

LINK

Kieralinn
I agree with the studio.....no need for Robin at all. If they make 5 or 6 six films?/ Maybe.

pr1983
Originally posted by Kieralinn
I agree with the studio.....no need for Robin at all. If they make 5 or 6 six films?/ Maybe.

yeah... robin is neither wanted nor needed...

Zod4Life
I picked maybe in a 3rd or 4th movie as long as they could get the right actor for the role of Robin.

Mainstream
by the 3rd or 4th film you shall beg for Robin. he is batman "son" and where else should a son fight but alongside his "father"

Tthe Almighty
i think that there should be a movie about robin but batman makes occasional visits that could make a good movie

Mainstream
Originally posted by Tthe Almighty
i think that there should be a movie about robin but batman makes occasional visits that could make a good movie

that could work A Robin featuring Batman movie....but I think they should put Robin in A Batman movie...(3rd or 4th..3rd would be better) before they make a Robin movie...it'd be a spinoff from the Begins series....Dick Grayson backstory and character are too cool and important to the batman mythos to be thrown out like stale Mac and cheese but until about the 3rd film it should be all about the Bat.

WindDancer
I don't mind a Robin in the movie but I agree is too early to re-introduce him. Pick anyone as Robin except Chris O' Donnell.

Mainstream
Originally posted by WindDancer
I don't mind a Robin in the movie but I agree is too early to re-introduce him. Pick anyone as Robin except Chris O' Donnell.

even me afrobanana

WindDancer
lol! What is that black spot on the dancing banana?

Mainstream
lol! What is that black spot on the dancing banana?

hair I think.

Mr Parker
It would be treason to not include Robin- a huge and an important character of the Batman universe in a sequel.By the time the fourth film is made,he's GOT to be included.

Mr Parker

We are in total agreement on that Wind.Whatever they do,dont bring Chris O'donnel back for the part.He was way too old back then and he would be even much older now than he was then for the part.

NoFate007
They're never gonna recast the same roles in these films if they didn't even let Elfman do the music, so don't worry about O'Donnell ruining the role for the 2nd time. I think if they do Robin it'll be in at least the third or fourth, and it'll focus around a kid that's younger, maybe 15 or so. On movies.com they have Barbara Gordon listed...I don't remember that part of the movie, but she's apparently in there. However, I think that the sidekicks won't show up for a while. After all, this is just the beginning of Batman's career. They could skip a year or two and start off there with Batman 2, and so forth, but they'll never skip like 5 years at one given time. Robin shouldn't occur until the third at the earliest.

Mr Parker
yeah good point.If they didnt even allow Elfman to have his music in it then they sure wont bring Back O'donnel as Robin then.I just hope this time they can remember the name Scott Weinger.

TheFilmProphet
Bale also talked to the Chicago Sun-Times where he expressed his thoughts on Robin, the character whom plays Batman's teenage sidekick in the comics and previous Batman films.

"Thank God, there was no Robin," Bale says. "You really don't need him because Robin makes it campy and not dark.

LINK

The Joker#1
I for one am glad Robin is not in the sequal.

He's not needed.

Darth Macabre
Like I said in another Thread, have a Robin at the very end of the last Batman movie of this series. This was there can be a spin off (if they so desire) and even a good starting point for the next series of movies. But keep this series dark, dont have a Robin in it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Bale also talked to the Chicago Sun-Times where he expressed his thoughts on Robin, the character whom plays Batman's teenage sidekick in the comics and previous Batman films.

"Thank God, there was no Robin," Bale says. "You really don't need him because Robin makes it campy and not dark.

LINK

I am now a Bale hater now. mad

WindDancer
Originally posted by Mr Parker
We are in total agreement on that Wind.Whatever they do,dont bring Chris O'donnel back for the part.He was way too old back then and he would be even much older now than he was then for the part.

I'm glad you agree. The revival of the franchise does not need a Robin.

TheFilmProphet
The revival of the franchise does not need a Robin.

I very much agree,

NoFate007
Yet

If they make 10 Batman films, there should be Robin in there at least, lol. Chances of that are slim but still. We can go 3 films without a Robin, but I think eventually he has to pop up. You can't kill off all the villains and then have Robin show up to face nobody.

Darth Jello
As long as that Robin is Carry Kelly

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Darth Jello
As long as that Robin is Carry Kelly

Theres no stop on the Carrie Kelly for Robin train for you is there? lol stick out tongue

Mainstream
introduce Grayson around the the third movie...but don't have him become Robin until the fourth.

Red Superfly
Put it this way, most people, fans and casual movie-goers alike, associate Robin with the downfall of Batman.

The amount of time Robin has been in the franchise is in direct correlation to the franchises sucktitide.

Now, obviously thats not fair, because I personally know that Robin would be great if done right (especially if it led into Nightwing and explorred the father/son relationship between Dick and Bruce)

But, as a marketing commodity, Robin is on the Z-List.

And, to be honest, I'd much prefer to see more time given to the villains and Batman himself.

TheFilmProphet
Excellent points red, and completely true.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Put it this way, most people, fans and casual movie-goers alike, associate Robin with the downfall of Batman.

The amount of time Robin has been in the franchise is in direct correlation to the franchises sucktitide.

Now, obviously thats not fair, because I personally know that Robin would be great if done right (especially if it led into Nightwing and explorred the father/son relationship between Dick and Bruce)

But, as a marketing commodity, Robin is on the Z-List.

And, to be honest, I'd much prefer to see more time given to the villains and Batman himself.

good points a lot a people believed that having more than one villian in a movie would f**k it up Batman begins proved that's not true...couldn't the same be said about robin being in the films...though I do believe the next two movies should be batman centered.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mainstream
introduce Grayson around the the third movie...but don't have him become Robin until the fourth.

I totally agree woth you Mainstream.I think so that they didnt leave us hanging in the dark again like Batman 89 did if there was ever going to be a Robin in it,that they should have had that little kid be Dick Greyson.Rachel should have said to him-Whats your name honey? and they should have had him say -Dick Greyson.That way were not left hanging once again wondering if he will ever be in a sequel.I dont understand why that would have been so hard to do. mad Thats my one and only beef I have with Nolan in this film is that he did not do that. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mainstream
good points a lot a people believed that having more than one villian in a movie would f**k it up Batman begins proved that's not true...couldn't the same be said about robin being in the films...though I do believe the next two movies should be batman centered.

Yeah I myself was worried that Batman Begins might once again be another crappy Batman film making it 5 crappy Batman films in a row when they said there would be more than 1 villian but it just proved that with the right director and right screenwriter,two villians can work.Nolan and Goyer proved that you could introduce a villian in the future and have Robin in a sequel and make a good Batman film at the same time.Though I also think he can wait till Batman 4 since they need time to reintroduce The villains from the previous Batman films and do it properly this time to undo the damage that Burton and Schumacher brought to the screen.

TheFilmProphet
I totally agree woth you Mainstream.I think so that they didnt leave us hanging in the dark again like Batman 89 did if there was ever going to be a Robin in it,that they should have had that little kid be Dick Greyson.Rachel should have said to him-Whats your name honey? and they should have had him say -Dick Greyson.That way were not left hanging once again wondering if he will ever be in a sequel.I dont understand why that would have been so hard to do. mad Thats my one and only beef I have with Nolan in this film is that he did not do that. mad

Parker, Nolan nor Goyer said anything of the sort because the child character is not, never has been, never will be Robin. He just happened to appear more than once in the film as did the homeless character, but we aren't saying he is the Joker now are we?

Mr Parker
Parker, Nolan nor Goyer said anything of the sort because the child character is not, never has been, never will be Robin. He just happened to appear more than once in the film as did the homeless character, but we aren't saying he is the Joker now are we?

Yeah I knew he wasnt Robin but what I meant was I dont see why it would have been so hard for them to have made him Robin in the script is what Im saying.They made it obvious that they plan on having The Joker in either the next film or the third film with his calling card at the end.How hard would it have been for them to decide to have that kid be Dick Greyson? Not hard at all.Instead once again I am left hanging going away thinking that Robin wont be in a sequel since they didnt even bother to introduce him like they could have the way they took the time to introduce The Joker for a sequel. mad

TheFilmProphet
The reason for that is if they were to mention or show Robin in the first film then they would be forced to feature him in a 2nd or 3rd film and this would be a major decision one which I am sure they do want to make so early on.

Mr Parker
Okay well if thats their reasoning for not introducing him I can live with that.I sure would feel a lot better though if I had reassurances that Robin would be in a sequel sometime down the road in the future.

TheFilmProphet
Well judging from these comments I suspect you will see a Robin as soon as the franchise hits it's low point and loses Nolan, leaving the same results Burton's departure left in the first franchise.

Nolan: "Like Begins, one clear cut villain isn't the plan " and the likelihood of Robin appearing "The studio wasn't interested in Robin. We weren't either. This is a young Batman, so Robin's a few films....not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson's still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin's in the franchise" says Nolan.

Bale: "Thank God, there was no Robin," Bale says. "You really don't need him because Robin makes it campy and not dark.

Mr Parker
Well judging from these comments I suspect you will see a Robin as soon as the franchise hits it's low point and loses Nolan, leaving the same results Burton's departure left in the first franchise.

Nolan: "Like Begins, one clear cut villain isn't the plan " and the likelihood of Robin appearing "The studio wasn't interested in Robin. We weren't either. This is a young Batman, so Robin's a few films....not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson's still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin's in the franchise" says Nolan.

Bale: "Thank God, there was no Robin," Bale says. "You really don't need him because Robin makes it campy and not dark.

Again I have become a Bale hater over his ignorant comments he makes.He needs to get past the 60's camp tv show and forget the horrible casting choice of O'donnel as Robin in Batman Forever and watch some of the animated series of Batman from the 90's to see how Robin can work perfect on the screen for a Batman movie.Again you make a good casting choice for the role of Robin such as Scott Weinger,you got a much better movie.Burtons arrival just ruined the Batman franchise from the very beginning so thats comparing apples and oranges to compare Burtons departure to Nolans.

TheFilmProphet
Burtons arrival just ruined the Batman franchise from the very beginning so thats comparing apples and oranges to compare Burtons departure to Nolans.

Whether you like Burton or not my point is still applicable. Burton's departure led to the (badly done) introduction of Robin into the old franchise and judging from what Nolan said his departure will lead to another introduction of the character into this franchise.

Mr Parker
Just because the series got campy when Robin came on doesnt mean it will happen again though.As Batman Begins proved,a competent director and a competent screenwriter is all you need for a Batman movie to be faithful to the comicbook.Incompetent screenwriters is what led to the campiness of Batman with the last two Batman movies not the arrival of Robin.Nolan and Bale need to stop looking at the failures of Schumacher and The screenwriters of those movies to get past the misconception that Robin brings campiness to the screen.As I said,when you got competent screenwriters that understand the Batman mythos like the screenwriters did with the Batman animated series did,Robin works just fine on the screen without bringing campiness to it.

TheFilmProphet
I never said Robin's arrival would make the future films in this franchise campy. I was merely detailing the events that brought the character to the silver screen the first time and what will likely bring him around the second. Although to be perfectly honest, I have serious doubts that another director who introduces Robin can bring in and also retain the tone/environment/mood/etc. that Nolan has thus far.

pr1983
I never said Robin's arrival would make the future films in this franchise campy. I was merely detailing the events that brought the character to the silver screen the first time and what will likely bring him around the second. Although to be perfectly honest, I have serious doubts that another director who introduces Robin can bring in and also retain the tone/environment/mood/etc. that Nolan has thus far.

I agree... best to let batman get some more solo stuff...

LousyBoy
Me sometimes thinks parker lives in the past.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.