How strong was samson of the bible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cking
Do any of you bible believers have any idea how strong he was?

debbiejo
Hercules...

PrinceofBlades
Greater, it was an excuse I told my dad so that I could grow my hair out. He said "If you want to grow your hair out so that they can shave it, tie you to two pillars and laugh and umiliate you, than you can get that here without the hassle" stick out tongue gotta love my dad...

cking
I heard He killed 1,ooo Philistine men with a donkey's jawbone.

finti
and you believe that?

Storm
But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the lord, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.

He sought an occasion against the Philistines...

debbiejo
I saw the movie..........Tricky Dalilaaaaaa.

finti
As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind
My, my, my, delilah
Why, why, why, delilah
I could see that girl was no good for me
But I was lost like a slave that no man could free
At break of day when that man drove away, I was waiting
I cross the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing - Tom Jones

debbiejo
Samson couldn't keep away from her!!!...climbing back into the spiders web.

finti
just another Romeo and Juliet tale

cking
Samson had infinite strength, God could have made as strong as he wanted him to be. Could can use one man to destroy thousands of armies. one man is Gideon in judges had just 300 men that defeated over 125,000 men. Gideon had alot more men but God wanted all the men to drink from the river and some men drank with their hands, while some drank like dogs, only the 300 used their hands, the rest didn't.

Blair Wind
he killed 1000 men with a donkeys jawbone and ripped a lion in half. Thats gotta be ALOT of strength. I wonder how much, but I doubt anyone could ever tell

debbiejo
It's just another myth story just like Hercules and such.

Mindship
Samson was able to destroy a temple by toppling its supporting pillars. This had to involve, at the very least, moving mass equal to several tons. This woulda made him, for that moment, as strong as Spider-Man, maybe stronger.

debbiejo
Spider man...... laughing out loud

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Mindship
Samson was able to destroy a temple by toppling its supporting pillars. This had to involve, at the very least, moving mass equal to several tons. This woulda made him, for that moment, as strong as Spider-Man, maybe stronger.

Much stronger. I'd say Samson had at least CL100 strength.

The man took on a 1000 philistine men, with nothing other than a jawbone of a donkey!!! Remember..the Philistines are the same dudes who spawned the "Giant" Goliath. The "average" Philistine was a pretty fierce warrior, and was probably at least a Captain America level fighter. Without his webbing, I doubt even SM could take down more then about 10 of these guys. wink

Blair Wind
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's just another myth story just like Hercules and such.

If thats what you believe, but I happen to be a Christian and so I believe in the Bible. Which equates to me believing that there was a man who existed named Samson who was a complete idiot with all that strength.

Also about how much force would it take to just rip a lion in half?

Mindship
Samson, according to the Marvel System (all scales 1-7)

Intelligence: 2 (normal, but appears to drop in Delilah's presence)
Durability: 3 (enhanced, above normal, but I don't recall any great healing prowess or resistance to spears)
Speed: 3 (superhuman, but not extremely so)
Agility: 3 (athlete)
Stamina: 4 (enhanced, good for hours)
Mental Powers: 1 (none)
Energy Projection: 1 (none)
Fighting Ability: 4 (experienced fighter, but likely relied a lot on brute strength, not so much finesse or technique)
Strength: 6 (75-100 tons. I don't think he was at this level all the time. Probably all his ability levels varied, depending on the task at hand and what God felt Samson needed to get it done)

Taking out 1000 Philistines...yeah, that's no small feat (how exactly did Sammy wield that jawbone??) I don't think Neo had to deal with 1000 Agent Smiths.

Blair Wind
Well from what the Bible states, his strength was probably set around 75-100 but (like with the lion) it says and the Spirit of the Lord came on to him powerfully, im guessing he got an added boost

T.M
As said before I think Samson is said to have had infinite strength.

And FYI Delilah didn't cut Samson's hair.

Blair Wind
But she is too blame....scratch that Samsons foolishness is to blame....he tells her what to do like three times (lying) she does it, and he doesnt realize NOT to tell the truth??? pffffffffft

debbiejo
Originally posted by Blair Wind
he killed 1000 men with a donkeys jawbone and ripped a lion in half. Thats gotta be ALOT of strength. I wonder how much, but I doubt anyone could ever tell Come on now. Ripped a lion in half. Think what that would take to rip, tear in half, a lion...

People can't rip a lion in half. It's really impossible, and messy. Bones arteries, think about it.......I mean god, think about it...

It's just a myth story.

Blair Wind
unless your powered by God wink

debbiejo
unless your powered by God wink First of all what would be the purpose of ripping a lion. Our hands are small, lions are large filled with organs, bones and such. It's hard enough to rip a snake in half....Still there is no purpose for ripping a lion in half. If you wanted to kill a lion there are better ways. It's a fable.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by debbiejo
First of all what would be the purpose of ripping a lion. Our hands are small, lions are large filled with organs, bones and such. It's hard enough to rip a snake in half....Still there is no purpose for ripping a lion in half. If you wanted to kill a lion there are better ways. It's a fable.

It must be a miracle, not only is debbiejo staying on topic, she is making complete and total sense. The lord does work in mysterious ways. wink

leonheartmm
lol, was he stronger than precrisis superman?!

Blair Wind
What the f**k? the purpose was that it attacked HIM not the other way around...... Hey its in the Bible, if he was such a strong man he probably had hands the size of any decent basketball player....Im just stating what I know and believe....it also states that: a young lion came at him, roaring. The Spirit of God came on him powerfully and he ripped it open barehanded, like tearing a young goat.

thats a paraphrased bible but still gets the job done.

leonheartmm
What the f**k? the purpose was that it attacked HIM not the other way around...... Hey its in the Bible, if he was such a strong man he probably had hands the size of any decent basketball player....Im just stating what I know and believe....it also states that: a young lion came at him, roaring. The Spirit of God came on him powerfully and he ripped it open barehanded, like tearing a young goat.

n u BELIEVE THAT?!

Mindship
Read Marvel comics: the truth will set you free. The Biblical God was a Celestial. Celestials have been experimenting with human DNA for millennia, exploring mutation and enhanced-ability potential. Samson was among their earlier efforts.
But even they failed to take into account the Power of a Beautiful Woman.
cool

debbiejo

Jonah and Daniel are two stories that make reference to these heavenly paranatellons are that of Jonah and the Whale and that of Daniel in the Lion's den. In the latter the sign of Leo is being cryptically inferred, for just like Samson and Hercules, or any solar hero, there are trials that test merit and valor

Myths, zodiac, and astrology. This is where the stories come from.

Blair Wind
yes I believe that. Taken into account that I believe in creation from God it really doesnt take much to believe that the one who made all can make one person strong enough to rip apart an attacking lion.

and debbiejo, while on these boards Im not into preaching and this thread is pretty much the first time I have said Im a Christian (im usually in the Comic Section) thats what I would call deception by Satan. But im not gonna sit here and preach to you about what you believe.

Actually I would like to know what the whale is interepreted as if the attacking lion is supposed to symbolize courage.

and on topic the origin of the man is not the question, but the calculation of his strength based upon the limited knowledge we have of him.

debbiejo

Actually I would like to know what the whale is interepreted as if the attacking lion is supposed to symbolize courage.

Now the great whale relates to the constellation of Cetus, in the sign of Pisces. That people still imagine Jonah being swallowed by a physical whale, to re-emerge again, is testimony to the ignorance that exists in the world today.

It's all astrology..I'm telling ya.. eek!

leonheartmm
yes I believe that. Taken into account that I believe in creation from God it really doesnt take much to believe that the one who made all can make one person strong enough to rip apart an attacking lion.

and debbiejo, while on these boards Im not into preaching and this thread is pretty much the first time I have said Im a Christian (im usually in the Comic Section) thats what I would call deception by Satan. But im not gonna sit here and preach to you about what you believe.

and on topic the origin of the man is not the question, but the calculation of his strength based upon the limited knowledge we have of him.

its not deception by SATAN, its common sense, n ur relegion has made u too afraid to accept it. thas what relegion is, FEAR.

Blair Wind
if your too afraid to even consider the fact that instead of evolution their was creation, that there is something greater than yourself, that humans in their limited knowledge concieved a concept that millions of millions of years have made us what we are, descendants of monkeys (and if we evolved from them, why are they still here???), that something so complex as the mind was created by cells being created and formulated together creating an organism (and we know more about outer space then we know about something that is inside our own heads) that came out of water, then so be it. I however choose to believe that someone created the world (and the only planet we have yet to see that can sustain life) in the precise place away from the sun, with water and animals and trees, and the complexity that is life. also the fact that my religion is the longest living humans today has to mean something. Out of all humans, we as a group on average live the longest.....

really there is no need to attack me, I have not done a thing to you, just stating what I believe. All in all, all I really want to know is how strong Samson was calculated by the feats that he did...

KharmaDog
if your too afraid to even consider the fact that instead of evolution their was creation, that there is something greater than yourself, that humans in their limited knowledge concieved a concept that millions of millions of years have made us what we are, descendants of monkeys (and if we evolved from them, why are they still here???), that something so complex as the mind was created by cells being created and formulated together creating an organism (and we know more about outer space then we know about something that is inside our own heads) that came out of water, then so be it. I however choose to believe that someone created the world (and the only planet we have yet to see that can sustain life) in the precise place away from the sun, with water and animals and trees, and the complexity that is life.

First of all, please use punctuation, it makes your posts easier to read.

Secondly it is possible for people to have considered the theory of creationism and found that the theory of evolution is more believeable.

Next, although I do not want this to become another "Creation vs Evolution" debate, please be more accurate when you talk of evolution. Most evolution theorists believe that men decended from an early primate that is also an ancestor of other apes and primates. It is not currently a commonly held belief that humans descended from monkeys. Such a simple view either dictates a total lack of knowledge regarding evolutionary theory or an intentional misrepresentation of facts or beliefs.

also the fact that my religion is the longest living humans today has to mean something. Out of all humans, we as a group on average live the longest.....

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make, I also doubt that you have concrete facts to back up this claim, whatever this claim actually is. If you do have concrete facts, I'd really appreciate seeing them.

really there is no need to attack me, I have not done a thing to you, just stating what I believe. All in all, all I really want to know is how strong Samson was calculated by the feats that he did...

I agree, no reason to attack, but if you make flippant comments regarding the beliefs of others it is only natural for others to respond in kind.

As for Sampson's feats, to calculate a man's strength based on accounts that are not reliable at all is rather pointless. And if you do believe in Sampson's feats, you should be more interested in the power that God bestowed unto Sampson (which can not be quantifieable as it is a faith based belief) more so than the power possesed by Sampson.

Blair Wind
true, however I never was flippant about his beliefs, I simply stated mine.

Seventh Day Adventists, in a study live longer than almost everyone on earth, with people from Japan and a little island in Italy (I think in italy at least) also living about the same. Ill try and find the source. edit: came out on National Geographic November 2005. I think the website has a small paragraph about it...

and while I am more interested in Gods power, he can bestow any power he wants, so I want to know how much he bestowed on Samson. And taking things on face value, for my benifit at least, how much strength would be required to do those things??

debbiejo
true, however I never was flippant about his beliefs, I simply stated mine.

Seventh Day Adventists, in a study live longer than almost everyone on earth, with people from Japan and a little island in Italy (I think in italy at least) also living about the same. Ill try and find the source. edit: came out on National Geographic November 2005. I think the website has a small paragraph about it...

It's only because they are vegetarians. Other vegetarians also live longer.

Blair Wind
thats a misconception....most of us are vegetarians, but the Bible does give us "clean" meats to eat....and yet other vegetartians havent been said to live the longest...and the Japan and Italy people werent vegies either...

debbiejo
thats a misconception....most of us are vegetarians, but the Bible does give us "clean" meats to eat....and yet other vegetartians havent been said to live the longest...and the Japan and Italy people werent vegies either... Are you saying that SDA's live longer because they are gods chosen people then?

And it's not a misconception about their diet and living longer, I've read the studies and read the church documents asserting it.

Blair Wind
not what I meant, I meant that their diet can vary. I eat meat, however only meat thats listed as clean in the Bible (and theres enough variety to keep me satisfied, I mean alot of variety)

just stating a fact was all, to me it just means that God said to eat like that, and those who follow it live longer......

debbiejo
not what I meant, I meant that their diet can vary. I eat meat, however only meat thats listed as clean in the Bible (and theres enough variety to keep me satisfied, I mean alot of variety)

just stating a fact was all, to me it just means that God said to eat like that, and those who follow it live longer...... It's the diet for sure. The medical community also has written about vegetarians and more clean meats and not unclean such as pork, including bottom feeders. The SDA takes their diets from the OT.. big grin

Blair Wind
but what came first? wink

debbiejo
People have know truths throughout history.

Uberking Robert
Originally posted by cking
Do any of you bible believers have any idea how strong he was?

The Hulk ownz him. So does the mighty Thor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.