Star Wars pirating

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robin Darkside
I dont think theres a real good thread on this, so I want to discuss something thats always running through my mind.

I never really realized that the bootlegs are such an impact on how star wars does in the box office. Over the internet, we all know
it can be easily obtained, espeically through a P2P networking or maybe torrent like stuff. Thats the very obvious. But, I know of so many people who have got it through a copied to DVD (not sure if actually DVD quality, most likely workrpint, but some dont care), but they have it and watched it for the first time and not.

People own copies locally in my small town in Canada, I couldn't imagine how it can be in the states, big cities and all.

I think that this movie is the most pirated film to ever be copied to DVD for people to watch. I know like most people here think, that they missed out watching the movie on a real good screen with great quality (The theatre experience) and are missing out by watching the crappy other version. I agree in that respect.

The ethical perspective I have on the situation, is quite difficult, I dont believe people should watch the movie without at least paying for it first. But , there are many people who watched the movie on the big screen numerous times, and then can watch it at home afterwards.

I ask myself that question, would I have watched the movie more in theatres, if I didn;t have the movie on my computer?

Ok, in that respect, I'm going to say its fine, but how about all the many people who watched it for the first time on these crappy versions?

regardless of the box office, I think Lucas will be satisifed with the income, but the all time best movie doesn't occur because of how much money it produces.
To me anyway, whats the best movie I ever seen? its a question I have answered without having any other influences.

Ken Kenobi
I have seen it 3 times in the theater, and yes I have seen it twice on bootleg. Being able to see it bootleg doesn't stop me from seeing it in theaters, I love the theater experience and the atmosphere. It makes no difference to me.

DeVi| D0do
I think the majority of people who download the movie will have seen it in the theatre as many times as they would if they didn't have the bootleg...

But, yeah, it's wrong to do. Though I wouldn't feel bad about it because I've given Lucas hundreds of dollars over the last ten years, and will continue to give him hundreds upon hundreds of dollars until he stops milking the series for all it's worth...

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I have seen it 3 times in the theater, and yes I have seen it twice on bootleg. Being able to see it bootleg doesn't stop me from seeing it in theaters, I love the theater experience and the atmosphere. It makes no difference to me.

yes I know Ken Kenobi, But I know of many people who have seen it for the first time on those crappy versions, which is kinda dissapointing. The ethics involved are greatly confusing.

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I think the majority of people who download the movie will have seen it in the theatre as many times as they would if they didn't have the bootleg...

But, yeah, it's wrong to do. Though I wouldn't feel bad about it because I've given Lucas hundreds of dollars over the last ten years, and will continue to give him hundreds upon hundreds of dollars until he stops milking the series for all it's worth...

thats kinda the point though, People have been given the movie on DVD, so its not only people downloading the movie. They're handing it out so easily. I wonder if people on this forum experience the same thing, with the basically handling out of this movie, not only comp. But people can get it easy cause its put on DVD.

Lucas wont lose money, thats obvious, but some people do, I wonder how it affects the industry?

DeVi| D0do
Well Box Office numbers have gone down haven't they? At least I know that they have in NZ...

Wickerman
bootlegging movies and music has been "said to be" the biggest disaster in the media world, basically because the producing companies of this merchandise (movies and music) don't receive the ammount of money they plan on receiving in order to fill up their budget, pay for the costs of production, and have enough profit to keep making more.

And yeah, i've seen it in the theaters AND at home. The reason is because when i want quality i go to the theaters, and when i need some reference for a discussion, or some screenshots, or something, or when i'm simply not feeling well enough to go to the theater, i'm gonna check my bootleg copy.

HOWEVER.....i don't think it's come out on DVD over here yet, but when it does, i'm gonna buy it...that's the difference between myself and others.

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
smile
isn't Ep 1 still ahead of ROTS in Box office?, do you think with more and more people with the internet and comps, are pirating at a faster rate than when EP I came out.
I dont recall myself having a good computer in 1999.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Robin Darkside
smile
isn't Ep 1 still ahead of ROTS in Box office?, do you think with more and more people with the internet and comps, are pirating at a faster rate than when EP I came out.
I dont recall myself having a good computer in 1999.

doesn't matter THAT much because Ep. 1 can be copied now via torrents, DC++ and other such stuff. Only the opening box office numbers matter in this case, and WOW....are you sure that Ep I is bigger than ROTS for now? Cause i'm having a hard time believing that.

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Wickerman
doesn't matter THAT much because Ep. 1 can be copied now via torrents, DC++ and other such stuff. Only the opening box office numbers matter in this case, and WOW....are you sure that Ep I is bigger than ROTS for now? Cause i'm having a hard time believing that.

~wickerman~

at the time people didn't have computers as fast and better as we do now, more and more people are being more and more online. With people and computers, I think we are expanding at an alarming rate, CPU,s and all that are getting better an an exponential rate, and just like how things go over the internet.

And, I dont think theres a DVD version, but they can sill put a divx, mpeg, avi, onto a burnable disc

I'll look again, but I'm sure that EP I is still ahead

Mist
Id prefer to watch it in the cinema, its just so right to watch star wars on big screen in surround sound...but id never watch a bootleg (of rots) without first paying to see it.

the movie gets released on dvd anyway, so i can watch it over and over later on, so having a boot version early makes no differece, since im gonna pay for the real dvd later...

Eleonora
If DVDs weren't so expensive (at least in my country) there would be no need for piracy, which doesn't bother me at all at the moment. I can assure you having the bootleg does not effect plans to go to the cinema so Lucasfilm Ltd. should just sleep soundly. BTW I'm definitely going to buy the DVD so what's the difference?

kegs202
I think in future movies might come out sooner after there theatre release in order to combat piracy. Piracy is simply a fact of modern life becuase the technology is there and anyone can do it. Sure it is killing the movie and music industry but for years they have had it all there own way with high prices etc. now this is the kick up the ass thats inevitably been coming for years. For instance if ep 3 were to be released on dvd at say 1 august instead of having to wait till november then I think many people would be willing to wait. I for one have a perfect copy with no title counter. You would think this is the real thing.

Robin Darkside
I think people are missing the point here though
If you think that the reason why star wars isn't making the money it should be in theatres and stuff, is because of all the bootlegs...

As I was saying, people I know locally have it on disk and can watch it for the first time on this dumb disk.

maybe its a too hard question to ask, but people who have saw it on this bootleg for the first time, have no will to see it in theatres afterwards.

As I was saying, if this can happen where I come from, I'm very sure copies are out everywhere in he United states.....
When Epiosode I came out, it was another story

Ani's Girl
I have seen III in the theaters four times already and will probably see it again tonight. I would have even if I had it on DVD because it is only fully appreciated on the big screen (in my opinion).

Besides, I don't have the knowledge to do all the work that it would take to get in on DVD at this point. I could only do that if someone gave me a copy. Still, I would see it on the big screen as much as I could while it was still there. It's going to suck for me to wait for the DVD after it leaves the theatre. How many months will that be (I think the 6 DVD set will be out in November, but will ROTS be out individually before then)?

jango fat
i have Pirates which are exact copys of the official DVD's
for 1 dollar

Ani's Girl
I don't think there are any "official DVDs" yet.

jango fat
From other movies

Ani's Girl
ohhhh....

Wickerman
yeah, i think what Robin's saying isn't that he's concerned with piracy of SW merchandise all in all, but rather the fact that it makes the franchise look bad. If you see the crappy bootleg version first, you might not want to see the movie at the cinema. And yeah, he's right.

~wickerman~

Ani's Girl
Very true Wickerman, very true

Ani's Girl
Although it would be nice if they put this DVD our RIGHT AFTER it leaves theaters big grin

Robin Darkside
yeah, i think what Robin's saying isn't that he's concerned with piracy of SW merchandise all in all, but rather the fact that it makes the franchise look bad. If you see the crappy bootleg version first, you might not want to see the movie at the cinema. And yeah, he's right.

~wickerman~

hehe, good, good
no I wasnt concerned about merchandise,
Some people are not star wars freaks, but some of them do want to see the movie just cause they feel they should. which is all good, hehe
The people who are not star wars freaks, still wanna see the movie...
you know the people who are not obsessed, not like me
if they had the opportunity to not watch it in theatres, they DO, cause its so convienient for them....

Although, there hasn't been much interest with the new Star wars ROTS. I recall a group that told me, that they chose to see 'The Longest Yard' over ROTS at a time, where I gave my opinion after that.
But still, not much interest as I thought it would have been, even towards the regular public,
I was surprised

Wickerman
Originally posted by Ani's Girl
Although it would be nice if they put this DVD our RIGHT AFTER it leaves theaters big grin

not such a great strategy economically speaking. They can say "The DVD is coming out November". Till then tension builds, and all us SW Geeks can do is wait and wait and wait. Meanwhile, they can feed us all kinds of crappy merchandise like more toy lightsabers and whatnot, and we'll want to buy it cause since we can't brag about buying the DVD first, we have to brag about buying "SOMETHING" first...in this case, the crappy merchandise to be sold till November....did i make any sense? Cause it was very clear inside my chaotic mind.... shifty

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
not such a great strategy economically speaking. They can say "The DVD is coming out November". Till then tension builds, and all us SW Geeks can do is wait and wait and wait. Meanwhile, they can feed us all kinds of crappy merchandise like more toy lightsabers and whatnot, and we'll want to buy it cause since we can't brag about buying the DVD first, we have to brag about buying "SOMETHING" first...in this case, the crappy merchandise to be sold till November....did i make any sense? Cause it was very clear inside my chaotic mind.... shifty

~wickerman~

of course not (about the releasing of DVD)

Wickerman
of course not (about the releasing of DVD)

meaning:

A) You disagree with what i said
B) you agree with what i said
C) The crap i spouted in my earlier post made so little sense you could hear your brain cells beg for mercy before they killed themselves

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
meaning:

A) You disagree with what i said
B) you agree with what i said
C) The crap i spouted in my earlier post made so little sense you could hear your brain cells beg for mercy before they killed themselves

~wickerman~

sry, if I confused, not about what you said, about the person you were refering to (Ani;s girl)

although option c seems very interesting laughing

Wickerman
sry, if I confused, not about what you said, about the person you were refering to (Ani;s girl)

although option c seems very interesting laughing

aaah, yeah, well i confuse some people myself, no problemo thumb up

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
aaah, yeah, well i confuse some people myself, no problemo thumb up

~wickerman~

laughing its all good

Dude Vader
I received a pirate copy a week before the film was released. But I refused point blank to watch it as I wanted to watch it at the cinema first. I have since seen it at the cinema 4 times and on dvd 3 times. I think it is all down to personal preferance and morals.

Robin Darkside
i kinda heard something about how Lucas is going to go hard core on the pirating thing, to the full extent of the law. Which I totally agree with, cause imagine how much work Lucas put into creating the PT, and someone can just get it so easily for free, especially ROTS

Wickerman
i really don't see how he could possibly take it to the law.

~wickerman~

Jack Daniels
Robin Darkside is an employee of the MPAA...lol...jus kiddin...least i hope we dont have spys like that among us... What the f**k? no

Robin Darkside
smokin'
hmm, I dont know, are you worried?

Robin Darkside
I'm no nark,you guys must be young an naive

ShadowKing
I've seen it 5 times in theater and have no intention of getting pirate bootlegs...so stupid to copy...this is why Lucas says he's glad to get it done now while he can still make money...soon, insider pirates will make direct digital copies before films are released and flood the streets..no one can afford to make hundred million dollar movies if they don't make a profit...pretty soon movies will go back to cardboard backgrounds and piss poor production confused I don't know about anyone else, it seems a lot of fans have already seen copies at home... I just can't seem to want it that bad...I can wait until the true DVD release...and I'm certain, the Special Edition 3-D super revised digital versions in about five years eek!

dflood
i have a pirate copy but it has a clock displayed on top

Robin Darkside
Piracy will never end, gotta start a new market with what is happening to this modern day...
I pretty sure I heard Lucas was going to go like sue the people who originally put the movie on the internet. Not the takers, but the givers or something. people responsible?

Ani's Girl
I want one sad

Wickerman
Piracy will never end, gotta start a new market with what is happening to this modern day...
I pretty sure I heard Lucas was going to go like sue the people who originally put the movie on the internet. Not the takers, but the givers or something. people responsible?

The smart ones can't be traced thumb up as for the idiots, it's better that they get sued thumb down

~wickerman~

vader519
I really hate piracy. I mean we all want RTOS to break $400 million, but the boxoffcie has slowed down alot since more people are downloading it off the internet.

Lana
The box office sales have slowed down because it's been out over a month now, that always happens to movies. ROTS is no exception.

Also, if you read this article (scroll down to where it says "Company Claims it was Slandered by MPAA"wink, you'll see that they greatly exaggerate how much money is lost by pirating.
http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-06-22/#3

Not that I'm condoning it, or anything, but obviously pirating hasn't hurt ROTS that much. After all, how many box office records did it shatter?

darthmaul1
any person who watches a pirate crappy copy on the PC or TV of ROTS is not a fan and will not go see it in a theater anyway so there is no loss of money there. here's an example I downloaded the War of the Worlds soundtack last night and listened to it, if it was good I would go and buy it but it is not that great so I won't, I could wait and go into the store and ask to listen to it before I buy it and with this one I wouldn't of bought it. same goes for the movies

Ast Rofan
So long as you still pay to see the movie before you bootleg, that is fine by me. That is what I did, I saw it 3 times before I got my bootleg.

Now, if you will excuse me, Order 66 is fixing to occur. big grin stick out tongue

tlbauerle
SITH has made over $350 million dollars nationwide. After this weekend it will be the 10th highest grossing motion picture of all time. Explain to me how bootlegging hurt this fiilm's gross?

If anything...there is better competition this year. Right now, I would rather seen Batman for a second time than SITH for the fifth time. Mr. & Mrs. Smith was a great freakin' movie too. I still haven't seen Cinderella Man and will probably see that before seeing SITH Again.

As far as comparing it to TPM, I saw that around 17 times in the theatre. I liked it a lot more and coud stand to see it over and over. AOTC I only saw 9 times or so...maybe 10. I got bored with it. I've seen SITH 4 times in the theatre, twice at home...and even though I have a clean DVD rip...I haven't watched it because I am bored as all hell with the movie.

I think more goes into SITH's box office than OMG...people bootlegging. In fact, I think bootlegging has little to no effect on theatre grosses.

lotr456
could someone PM me the kashyyk battle from when the dragonfly flies to the beach to the point when yoda dodges stray blast

Lana
No one is going to send you any clips from the bootleg, stop asking.

lotr456
whoa was i asking you

Ast Rofan
Dude, constantly asking for an illegal video in this forum will get you banned. There are ways to get it, its just not here.

lotr456
ok

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by lotr456
could someone PM me the kashyyk battle from when the dragonfly flies to the beach to the point when yoda dodges stray blast
no.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by vader519
I mean we all want RTOS to break $400 million...
Speak for yoursef... I couldn't care less how much money ot makes at the Box Office...

Ani's Girl
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
So long as you still pay to see the movie before you bootleg, that is fine by me. That is what I did, I saw it 3 times before I got my bootleg.

Now, if you will excuse me, Order 66 is fixing to occur. big grin stick out tongue

I've seen it five times, somebody burn me a dam* DVD! laughing

Boris
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Speak for yoursef... I couldn't care less how much money ot makes at the Box Office...

Same here, makes no difference at all, why do people care anyways? I've seen it once, paid my money and if I got the chance to get a dvd now, I'd take it.

Darth Plagueis
Do you mind the running counter at the top? Still a cool copy.

Ani's Girl
Can you imagine what it might have done if it had come out some time other than the summer? I'm happy with what it's done already, but Lucas is making plenty of money in merchandise too (got my Monopoly game).

Darth Plagueis
Look, I have spent SO much many on Star Wars stuff, AND I will buy the official DVD the day it comes out (as well as all likely subsequent box sets) that if I want to watch a bootleg, I will!! I mean, you know, IF I had one.
angel

Ani's Girl
Yep, I got the Anakin light saber that changes from blue to red and makes sounds at Wal Mart for $15.33 also!

Darth Plagueis
pirate

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Darth Plagueis
Do you mind the running counter at the top? Still a cool copy.

Oh hell...that old release....C'mon you can do better than that!

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Oh hell...that old release....C'mon you can do better than that! Not around here. Hook a brother up.
I could probably phrase that better, right?

Ast Rofan
The darkside of the force is a pathway to many bootlegs some consider to be illegal.

Darth Plagueis
you DON'T KNOW the power of the darkside....

Ast Rofan
Hahaha, I know more of the darkside then you may believe, my lord.

DeVi| D0do
Learn to use the Dark Side as your ally and you will achieve a power greater than any KMCer.

Darth Plagueis
Hahaha, I know more of the darkside then you may believe, my lord. No, no, no...YOU I know about!!!!

stick out tongue

Ast Rofan
No, no, no...YOU I know about!!!!

stick out tongue

???

Anyways, back to the darkside stuff.

You underestimate my power!!!

p. skywalker
Watching the bootleg copy first does NOT disqualify you as a SW fan!! thats about the dumbest thing i have ever heard.. My Uncle is the city manager of the Carmike theartres where i am from so I get in free!!.. did I go see it at the Theartres..HELL NO!!!!! why? because why would I want the first time I saw ROTS to be ruined by a bunch of screaming people! I watched it in the comfort of my own home on opening night! And have seen it 16 times since then in the comfort of my home!! 16 times sounds like a fan to me!!! Don't hate tje ones who have it just cause you can't get a copy.. and it is not hurting the media industry that bad.. my uncle had to lock the doors at the theartres on the pre -screening night and have police offericers in the lobby when they opened the doors to keep the people under control.. and trust me the actors and directors are still making their money!!! I have found that people who dislike bootlegs are usually those who don't know how to do it!!

Wickerman
Oh My God.......this thread went crazy after last night.....what Robin meant was that if the bootleg is seen first (a crappy copy anyway), said person to watch it might not want to see it in the cinema again due to the fact that it's simply not the same on the comp as the theater experience, and THAT's how it's hurting RoTS... hmm...long sentence and almost no punctuations....

~wickerman~

Darth Plagueis
Dude, that sig NEEDS a syllable intensive enema!

Wickerman
Dude, that sig NEEDS a syllable intensive enema!

start running shifty

~wickerman~

Darth Plagueis
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p. skywalker
Oh My God.......this thread went crazy after last night.....what Robin meant was that if the bootleg is seen first (a crappy copy anyway), said person to watch it might not want to see it in the cinema again due to the fact that it's simply not the same on the comp as the theater experience, and THAT's how it's hurting RoTS... hmm...long sentence and almost no punctuations....

~wickerman~

I wasnt really refering to the thread starter as much as to the ones saying how wrong it is...I mean call me spoiled but I have never had to pay to see a movie in my whole life I am not gonna start now.. I will buy regualr dvds..Hell I will buy the new boxset when it comes out.. but I wanted to see it then so I got it.. I will probely go see it in the theartre once it slows down alot.. but not right now.

Wickerman
Originally posted by p. skywalker
I wasnt really refering to the thread starter as much as to the ones saying how wrong it is...I mean call me spoiled but I have never had to pay to see a movie in my whole life I am not gonna start now.. I will buy regualr dvds..Hell I will buy the new boxset when it comes out.. but I wanted to see it then so I got it.. I will probely go see it in the theartre once it slows down alot.. but not right now.

That's cool with me. Just don't be surprised when you get a PM from a mod saying how much they love you and want to be your friend big grin

~wickerman~

Ast Rofan
Okay your spoiled, sorry, couldnt resist. stick out tongue

I see what your saying, atleast you have a reason other than, "Dude guess what, I just downloaded the new star wars movie".

Wickerman
Okay your spoiled, sorry, couldnt resist. stick out tongue

I see what your saying, atleast you have a reason other than, "Dude guess what, I just downloaded the new star wars movie".

I actually have a friend that very proudly called me and told me "Dude, guess what, i just downloaded the new star wars movie and it sucks, so don't go to the cinema to watch it"

Luckily, i didn't even take his advice into consideration.

~wickerman~

Ast Rofan
I actually have a friend that very proudly called me and told me "Dude, guess what, i just downloaded the new star wars movie and it sucks, so don't go to the cinema to watch it"

Luckily, i didn't even take his advice into consideration.

~wickerman~

Did you give your friend a swift kick in the nuts? stick out tongue

Just kidding.

Wickerman
Did you give your friend a swift kick in the nuts? stick out tongue

Just kidding.

Nah stick out tongue , but we are gonna go hiking in a few weeks...hmmm......wonder how long he can hang upside down on the edge of a cliff....

~wickerman~

Darth Plagueis
Back on topic!!!

So Han and Chewie intercept this ship full of Twilek slaves enroute to the Hutt homeworld, and decide to sort of take advantage of the ill-gotten booty, if you know what I mean...and...What?
no. oh....
Star Wars Pirating....I misunderstood..... embarrasment

p. skywalker
That's cool with me. Just don't be surprised when you get a PM from a mod saying how much they love you and want to be your friend big grin

~wickerman~

If they want it I'll tell em where to get a few different versions..just ask..LOL.. I am the one to ask for things.. If I can't find it .you probely can't get it

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi

agreed. Watching it in the theaters is just completly diferent. And I don't think that should be considered piracy when one owns a copy for himself. I've watched it 3 times so i think it pays the fact that I've watched it one time in bootleg and plus, like me, others will buy the dvd's when they come out so.... I don't think lucas will get his wallet damaged.

Wickerman
If they want it I'll tell em where to get a few different versions..just ask..LOL.. I am the one to ask for things.. If I can't find it .you probely can't get it

So you're kinda like a Hutt only technically "good" stick out tongue

~wickerman~

Darth_Rankkor

~wickerman~

ROTFLMAO laughing laughing laughing

Robin Darkside
Watching the bootleg copy first does NOT disqualify you as a SW fan!! thats about the dumbest thing i have ever heard.. My Uncle is the city manager of the Carmike theartres where i am from so I get in free!!.. did I go see it at the Theartres..HELL NO!!!!! why? because why would I want the first time I saw ROTS to be ruined by a bunch of screaming people! I watched it in the comfort of my own home on opening night! And have seen it 16 times since then in the comfort of my home!! 16 times sounds like a fan to me!!! Don't hate tje ones who have it just cause you can't get a copy.. and it is not hurting the media industry that bad.. my uncle had to lock the doors at the theartres on the pre -screening night and have police offericers in the lobby when they opened the doors to keep the people under control.. and trust me the actors and directors are still making their money!!! I have found that people who dislike bootlegs are usually those who don't know how to do it!!

Watching it for the first time on bootleg is stupid in my opinion, quality wise, and ethically.

When I first saw the movie, it was great to watch it with a full audience, it holds a certain atmsophere and mood, where it was a good one.
I know some people were misfortunate cause idiot kids talking and stuff really affects your mood at the time.
But sitting at home watching it for the first time doesn't give you a chance to relate with others after or during the movie.
Also, they poor quality can affect your intial impression of the movie.

I also know people who have the bootleg DVD but have not watched it yet, like a very good friend of mine

Wickerman
Watching it for the first time on bootleg is stupid in my opinion, quality wise, and ethically.

When I first saw the movie, it was great to watch it with a full audience, it holds a certain atmsophere and mood, where it was a good one.
I know some people were misfortunate cause idiot kids talking and stuff really affects your mood at the time.
But sitting at home watching it for the first time doesn't give you a chance to relate with others after or during the movie.
Also, they poor quality can affect your intial impression of the movie.

I also know people who have the bootleg DVD but have not watched it yet, like a very good friend of mine

i may just be an elitist SOB but i just see people that view the movie first and then the bootleg as better than the others

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
yeah, there better people, lol

p.skywalker seen it 16 times, hmmm, if I saw it that many times, I would stop counting at about 7 or 8. Cause I would lose track

Wickerman
yeah, there better people, lol

p.skywalker seen it 16 times, hmmm, if I saw it that many times, I would stop counting at about 7 or 8. Cause I would lose track

I'm not SURE if they really are better or not, i get bashed a lot for that kind of elitist attitude, but thats just the way i see things, and i don't intend to change it anytime soon thumb down

~wickerman~

p. skywalker

~wickerman~

I never once said I was "good" .. I just don't charge for the info I give out.. that the technical difference between me and the Hutts..( oh and the weight issue..LOL) but honestly If I ever do go see it in the theartres I don't think it will change my perspective on the movie at all.. I loved it when I saw it and It will stay that way..NO more no less..

And the "16 times" is an est.. could be more or less than that, but right around it..

And honestly if your biggest problem in the world is people that pirate movies.. then Wow can I switch lives with you.. Who really cares how much the movie makes.. everyone knew it'd be a hit and it was.. and Lucas and all the actors are rich.. thats the way it works!

Jack Daniels
Yeah like try sitting on the stairs because the theatre is full and no seats!!!! That affects your mood for sure and your back and your legs and your butt and and and...lol....that really was literally a pain in the ass....lol....I wish I would have had a bootleg copy so I could see it right away and goto the theatre a week or two later when i could actually find a seat!!!!!!

Robin Darkside
SITH has made over $350 million dollars nationwide. After this weekend it will be the 10th highest grossing motion picture of all time. Explain to me how bootlegging hurt this fiilm's gross?

If anything...there is better competition this year. Right now, I would rather seen Batman for a second time than SITH for the fifth time. Mr. & Mrs. Smith was a great freakin' movie too. I still haven't seen Cinderella Man and will probably see that before seeing SITH Again.

As far as comparing it to TPM, I saw that around 17 times in the theatre. I liked it a lot more and coud stand to see it over and over. AOTC I only saw 9 times or so...maybe 10. I got bored with it. I've seen SITH 4 times in the theatre, twice at home...and even though I have a clean DVD rip...I haven't watched it because I am bored as all hell with the movie.

I think more goes into SITH's box office than OMG...people bootlegging. In fact, I think bootlegging has little to no effect on theatre grosses.

bootleging has got to hurt the industry, and I think it did hurt the box office standings, I bet in most of those bow office listings you read have not even considered inflation.
you know, how it was cheaper to watch a movie back then, not much since 1999, but it went up where I come from to go watch movies.

Like I said numerous times, there are people who watched the movie on a free burnt DVD for the first time, and have no will to watch it in theatres. and I'm in small town Canada.
Now tell me that this does not hurt the box office.

my suggestion to you tlbauerle, go watch ROTS 17 times like you did EP I, because EP III is better

Dresta
the thing that will make ROTS not do so well at the box office is that people who are not great fans of star wars will just get it on pirate DVD and therefore not go and see it in the cinema. i myself have a pirate copy of ROTS but i have also seen it several times at the cinema.

Robin Darkside
yep, it hurts the box office, I believe it too, theres gotta be tons of pirate copies. Its only going to get worst with other movies, then they wont make them anymore, I recall someone saying they will be made with a cardboard background or something one day.
Piracy is going to mess shit up
I'll probably spend more time outdoors when movies are not being made, lol

tlbauerle
Sorry...I refuse to watch this move that much. Episode I was new, and fresh...and the more I see Episode III, the less I like it. I'd rather see Batman Begins again, and again, before seeing this one that many.

You're right about inflation, but as of now, it has already beaten both AOTC and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING when adjusting the gross, placing 67th of all time.

I think you are over estimating the strength of this movie, big time. Even Lucas has said for YEARS that Episode III would make the least amount of money because it is so dark. Well, giving exception to the worst film in the series AOTC, Lucas is right. Its not an uplifting movie, which is what most people want to see. I think THAT has a lot of reflection on the gross.

And lets not forget its PG13...there are probably a lot of kids whose parent's haven't taken them to see it at all. Mr. & Mrs. Applepie probably didn't take little Johnny or Jane to it because of the rating. Gee...there's four tickets gone right there. I bet that happened a lot.

Lana
Some people don't seem to get it...ROTS has been in theaters over a month. It is inevitable that it's going to make less and less each week it's out, that's simply how it works. New movies come out every week.

Pirating, if it has harmed ROTS, has very little. There was a bootleg copy of it on the internet before the movie even premiered in the US, yet ROTS still broke the records for sales for midnight screenings, opening day, opening weekend, etc

And besides which....who really cares about box office numbers?

bilb
Originally posted by Lana
Some people don't seem to get it...ROTS has been in theaters over a month. It is inevitable that it's going to make less and less each week it's out, that's simply how it works. New movies come out every week.

Pirating, if it has harmed ROTS, has very little. There was a bootleg copy of it on the internet before the movie even premiered in the US, yet ROTS still broke the records for sales for midnight screenings, opening day, opening weekend, etc

And besides which....who really cares about box office numbers?

yes yes yes

Ast Rofan
Yes yes, to Lana you listen.

You knew someone would... stick out tongue

tlbauerle
I'll probably spend more time outdoors when movies are not being made, lol

By the way, the movie industry grows each year. Movies get bigger and have higher budgets each year. Also, more films are released each year, with more having blockbuster status than years before. If anything will hurt the movie industry it will be that it is growing too fast. Disappointing box office grosses come more out of competition than bootlegging.

Neo_Version 7
I borrowed a bootleg DVD from my friend. And i've seen it in theathers.

I watched it first in the cinema though as not to ruin the experience. stick out tongue

bilb
By the way, the movie industry grows each year. Movies get bigger and have higher budgets each year. Also, more films are released each year, with more having blockbuster status than years before. If anything will hurt the movie industry it will be that it is growing too fast. Disappointing box office grosses come more out of competition than bootlegging.

Totally agree

Ast Rofan
Competition, yes.

Sith has run into some big movies, it is going to get any better next week either.

Robin Darkside
of course I really dont think they'll ever stop making movies.

your going to go watch batman begins? man, thats an even darker movie from what they are saying. I think that darker movies are becoming more popular these days, so more people are wanting to see these films.

tlbauerle
Well...it is the Dark Knight...then again...there is no immolating in BB.

Also what may be popular for some, isn't popcorn fun for Mom and Dad Applepie.

PVS
from TF.Net:

THE CATCH Team Nabs Pirates

Posted By Joshua on June 27, 2005

A big bust in San Diego for THE CATCH team - the same guys who nabbed the Star Wars pirates a few weeks ago. Sign On SanDiego has the story ...

The CATCH team, short for the Computer and Technology Crime High-Tech Response Team, was formed in 2000. The unit includes investigators and prosecutors from local, state and federal agencies in San Diego, Imperial and Riverside counties.

Last month, the team made national news when it helped the FBI and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement shut down a Web site that allowed 10,000 visitors nationwide to illegally download the new "Star Wars" movie in just one day.

Hendron and a team of investigators from three states built the Operation Office Pirate case over two years by tracing e-mails, calling the sellers, sending letters to their post office boxes, conducting surveillance at their home offices and searching their storage units.

"We made undercover buys from everybody involved," said Hendron, the lead investigator on the case.

When investigators questioned the sellers about the extraordinarily low prices, they were given familiar stories: They had "bought overstock," they had purchased inventory from a company that had gone out of business, or they were "getting a special deal from Microsoft."

PVS
from TF.Net:

Movie Pirate on the Ropes

Posted By Joshua on June 27, 2005

The
Daily Breeze is reporting on a case that isn't getting as much attention in the media as perhaps it should. Sounded interesting to Star Wars fans ...

Gasca is correct that prosecutors and the movie industry hope the case will deter other potential pirates. If convicted, Gasca faces a maximum sentence of more than 25 years in prison.

"He's a well-known repeat offender who used aliases and schmoozed his way into movies in order to camcord them before their release," said Kori Bernards, a spokeswoman for the Motion Picture Association of America, the lobbying arm of the movie industry.

Camcorder jockeys are responsible for roughly 90 percent of all black market video releases, the MPAA contends. The recordings of prerelease screenings often can be sold on the streets days before a movie opens, and can hurt opening weekend grosses.

Gasca reportedly had people sit in front and beside him so no one would obstruct his shot, and he designed a device to mount the camera to theater seats and minimize movement.

He reportedly told FBI investigators that he was caught with a camera at a screening of "Spider-Man" in New York, sold copies of a "Star Wars" episode and attended as many as 30 Los Angeles screenings, using a camcorder at six of them.

b-dan
i was the first guy in town to get one

DeVi| D0do
congratulations

jerlark386
Become my apprentice, b-dan, learn to use the dark side of web.

p. skywalker
yes the dark side of the web is powerful and addictive.. once you turn ... theres no going back! Come We have cookies!!

ShadowKing
Five times seen it have I, with money in hand and child by my side....

pirates lose the communal view...and see large FX on a small screen too...

Lucas states he is glad he is done...for movies now are under the gun...

With copies and downloads and pirates galore...film budgets are going the way of Al Gore..(ouch!)

Sith was good, for me I must say...but parents with young kids I think stayed away...

All box office takes made less this year than last...maybe the days of cinema are past?

With $10 tickets and $7 Coke...a film going family will likely go broke...

So enjoy the last great blockbuster while you can...watch your pirated DVD P.Skywalker fan...November 8th will be the true III release, then all of this drama will finally cease (stretch...I know)

Thank you all ....enjoy the veal wink

darthmaul1
This is a myth! Pirating movies out of the theater does not hurt the box office what so ever. If people are happy watching a crappy quality small screen pirate copy then they would never go see it in the theater anyway, so no loss there. It is all a myth that the theaters are lossing money cause of it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.