House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS

finti
yeah but most people burn the stars and stripes outside of the USA so............

PVS

PVS
***But Rep. Jerrold Nadler D-N.Y., said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."***

that pretty much says it all.

Oswald Kenobi
Oh my god!!! For once I actually agree with Hilary Clinton! Her statement is the absolute best way to settle this matter.

PVS
it just seems like republicans want to alter the constitution any way, any how.

Oswald Kenobi
Will they attempt to alter the term limits for Presidents? Next on CSPAN...

Alpha Centauri
Don't quite see the problem with flag-burning myself.

-AC

PVS
besides, if desecrating the american flag is a crime...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/desecration.jpg

Oswald Kenobi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Don't quite see the problem with flag-burning myself.

-AC

I see alot wrong with burning the American flag. I just don't think there should be a constitutional amendment banning the practice.

Alpha Centauri
Personally, never seen anything wrong with burning cloth. That's me though.

But I agree, don't see why people should be punished for doing so. It's the land of freedom after all.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by PVS
***But Rep. Jerrold Nadler D-N.Y., said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."***

that pretty much says it all.

Yup.

The flag is a piece of cloth. Most likely the flag that you have in front of your house wasn't even made in the US. The flag in itself means nothing. It stands for freedom, though, and banning burning it is going against what it stands for. Ridiculous. Can we say "hypocrites"?

KidRock
I like this amendment. No more burning of the flags, sounds good to me. Thank you for the good news this morning PVS

PVS
all i know is they dont need to alter the constitution to create federal law.
i smell ulterior motive.

Jackie Malfoy
Why on earth would this be approved?jm

botankus
Jackie, if you'd read the article you'd see that it's not saying what you're thinking it's saying (from the subject title).

Also, every time I read "At home online!" the thing that pops into my head is something along with lines of:

Live! One night only! JM!

yerssot
you forgot a thing, botankus stick out tongue

Bardock42
I bet she can't read it...isn't PVS on her ignore list......

Well anyways, this is strange....I don't think in any other country would they even thingk aboot something like that......

Now think aboot it A Sign of Freedom can't be burned by the "Free" People anymore.....isn'T thatg a contradiction in itself.

PVS
to tell you the truth i never had the ugre to burn a flag....but now.....

Bardock42
Well, I guess actually it would probably achieve exactly that....people that have the urge to burn a flag will even feel more like doing it

PVS
well, now in some odd way it would be a patriotic statement.
a big "F*** YOU" to those who with to turn our great country into a fascist state.
where's my lighter?

Fishy
If I were you I would gather a lot of people and a lot of flags, go to Washington and burn them on the door steps of the Senate while at the same time you sing your national anthem. Also put one flag on a flag pole...

Patriotism and protesting at its best stick out tongue

FeceMan
Where's the picture that Backfire has of the guy who burns the American flag and then starts on fire himself? That's like...poetic justice in its finest form.

PVS
yeah, funny pic

i dont feel like spending hours looking for it though

alcoholicpoet
Conservatives hate the first ammendment, yet protect the second with passion.

Tptmanno1
Its ammunition.
The Neo-cons are thinking ahead. The Democratic party is weak now, and the Con's are kicking them in the balls while they are down. They are taking advantage of the fact that there are almost no Democratic senators who will activly speak out, and contradict the Republicans. Even H. Clinton's responce was half assed.
The Neo-Cons want to be able to, in the future, go, "You voted against the Flag burning amendment! Why do you hate freedom? Are you a terrorist?" ect. This amendment means jack shit. Its all about trying to take over 3/4ths of the senate to let anything go by, and damn if they wont stoop to any level to do it. If no-one stands up to blatant shit like this, well we're screwed.
Someone should have said to the person who brought 9/11 into it, "You don't know what they would have thought! And by putting words into their mouths and using them for your own political gain, you have discrased thir memory."
But alas, nobody will....

Bardock42
Well actually someone should have contered like this:
You know what the people from nine eleven would have said: Don'T pass this amendment its the freedom we have that I died for, please keep it....and some other "nationalist" stuff, cause that seems to be what Republicans generally do.....

alcoholicpoet
It seems as though Republicans want to take over the US, They've been picking at american freedoms one by one, the first heavy hitter was the patriot act, and this war that's been a weapon by Bush so that he could get elected to a second term and thus continue to deprave The US freedoms, by attempting to take away the filibuster, and this flag burning ammendment, hopefully the next president (Republican or Democrat) will have the common sense to stop this shit.

Swanky-Tuna
I just saw this on the Daily Show. Apparently the favored method of disposal for tattered American flags is still burning.

KidRock
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
It seems as though Republicans want to take over the US, They've been picking at american freedoms one by one, the first heavy hitter was the patriot act, and this war that's been a weapon by Bush so that he could get elected to a second term and thus continue to deprave The US freedoms, by attempting to take away the filibuster, and this flag burning ammendment, hopefully the next president (Republican or Democrat) will have the common sense to stop this shit.

I would rather have the Republicans take it over then the Terrorists(Would happen if a Democrat/Liberal was in the whitehouse)

FeceMan
Do I really?

The Omega
How can the US claim top be "the land of the free" if its citizens can't even burn a piece of cloth???

PVS
Originally posted by FeceMan
Do I really?

yes no expression

no stick out tongue seriously though, oh man of feces, you have to acknowledge that many conservatives have a hypocritical view of the sacredness of our constitution. god forbid the prospect of having to give up assault rifles comes up, its "OUR FORFATHERS PUT THIS AMMENDMENT IN SO THAT...." and once the first ammendment comes up, suddenly the wisdom of our forfathers is superficial.

nobody should f*** with that document. it is a statement of citizens rights and government's restrictions and they are trying to flip and reverse that concept to restricting citizens. thats not the purpose of our constitution. you dont have to alter it to write federal law. i cant repeat that enough. they need to just leave it the feck alone.

RedAlertv2
republican party- starts a war tp "promote freedom everwhere", then slowly strips its own people of their freedoms.

BackFire
I'm all for flag burning being legalized, as long as it's also legal for me to beat the shit out of and spit on the ignorant hippie douche bag who has to burn the flag to get attention on whatever his bullshit point is, because his actual point is not something worth showing attention too.

KidRock

I love the first ammendment, so there goes your theory right out the window.

WindDancer
The real question here is WHY should the flag be burn? What exactly are people expresing with burning a flag? So let's take the piece of cloth approach. Since all flags are pieces of cloth then I guess is perfectly fine if I grab the Canadian flag and use it to wipe my ass after using the toilet. After all, is only a piece of cloth right? And why stop there? Why don't I just grab all the European flags and put them in a pile and take a huge stinkin dump on them? Then I could trully said I shit all over a continent. And once done I take a shower and use the US and the Union Jack to clean my private parts. After all they are just pieces of cloth.

BackFire
I know I've posted this picture elsewhere, but it's poetic justice at it's finest and never gets old.

This is the fate all flag burners deserve.

WindDancer
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That picture is pure Gold! Is destine to be a classic!

BackFire
I know, I know. It's must more proof that the old saying is true, a picture is worth a thousand words. Makes me crack up everytime.

alcoholicpoet
Originally posted by KidRock
I love the first ammendment, so there goes your theory right out the window.

I was talking about conservatives in general, most cons beleive in the right to own a firearm, but support the deprevation of the Patriot Act, sorry if I am unable to appease to every conservative in the US, I'm not perfect, believe it or not.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's the land of freedom after all.

-AC

Ouch, I bet that hurt to say. I understand it was sarcasm, but I still bet you threw up a little when you typed it.

Darth Jello
it's the american flag, not the national deity. plus, since people hardly ever burn the flag anymore here, do they realize that they can't apply the law to people in other countries?

Imperial_Samura
What if people in the US burn the flag of another state, is their any concern there? But then I think it all sounds a bit silly, in the big scheme of things a piece of cloth, often badly made, being burnt seems like such a small thing.

Bardock42

alcoholicpoet
Exactly, a flag doesn't make a country, the freedom offered by the country, makes a country.

feralboy
thank you.

PVS
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm all for flag burning being legalized, as long as it's also legal for me to beat the shit out of and spit on the ignorant hippie douche bag who has to burn the flag to get attention on whatever his bullshit point is, because his actual point is not something worth showing attention too.

well, you dont have the freedom to beat the shit out of them....but im sure the authorities have the freedom to turn a blind eye wink

and i dont think the issue is whether or not its ok to desecrate a flag.
i think once they strike the flint of their lighter, all credibility in their arguement flies out the window. some assh0le burns a flag at an anti war protest, and they kill everyone's credibility. so really in such a situation the conservative hawks would win. they can just roll the footage of some dick burning the flag and say "do we really want someone like THIS voicing your opinion? you think they would hope for such a scenario in fact.

but why bastardise our constitution? since when is it necessary to alter it in order to put forth federal law? all they are doing with this and anti-gay marriage laws is attempting to push for the ammendment while they still hold so much power. just a cheap ploy so we're all stuck with their petty meaningless law.

if there is a strong possibility that a law will be dropped in the future, then thats up to THE PEOPLE. they are doing this to take that power away from us, or at least make it that much more unreachable, since its such a colossal pain in the ass to change the constitution, whether adding or subtracting an ammendment.

and besides, conservatives must realise that if they open such a can of worms, and are allowed to alter the constitution to their own liking....whats to stop the next democrat president from tinkering with it and altering/striking their precious second ammendment?

its a lose-lose situation to f*** around with that document for political bullshit.

WindDancer
Originally posted by BackFire
I know, I know. It's must more proof that the old saying is true, a picture is worth a thousand words. Makes me crack up everytime.

Same here BF. That picture will never get boring or old. lol.

PVS
http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/1439/flag3pc.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.