What would have thought when they announced a sequel to Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ccoo
Many people have lived through it, and some were very young, and others weren't alive. When they announced a sequel to the original Star Wars in the late seventies, what did you say at the time or what do you think you would have said at the time if you were too young?

I was born in '72, so I faintly remember them announcing that a Star Wars sequel was being made. At the time, I didn't really have an opinion, other that I wanted to see it.

But if it was today, the way sequels are usually made, I probably would be skeptical. I probably would have wanted it to happen, but not have much expectations. I would probably say, "Don't screw up a good thing, you have the most popular movie of all-time, how are you going to top that! Just let it rest, and it won't taint the original."

DeVi| D0do
I really wish I were around then... It sounds like a fun time...

mossman
Wow, you were born in 1972, but you don't remember it clearly?
I'm quite surprised.

I was only four when The Empire Strikes Back came out, but I can remember being excited about it.
I think My mother took me to see Flash Gordon and Condorman that year, but for some reason I was never taken to see the one film I wanted to see.
sad
I don't really know how exactly I got into Star Wars (I was only one when ANH came out - had it been shown on TV in the UK by 1980? I can't remember) but I remember already having loads of toys and books by 1980.

ESB ended up being the last film of the OT that I actually saw.
Still my fave though.

I can remember the hype surrounding the release of ROTJ more clearly.
The spoiler game obviously wasn't what it is today.
There were plenty of ROTJ pictures around, but I certainly didn't know much about the plot - it probably didn't even occur to me that you could know the plot of a movie before it was released.
I recall spending hours looking at all those photos wondering what on earth these strange characters did; what part they played in SW; even whether they were heroes or villains.

Ah... happy days!

DenKi
people back then didnt whine or complane if the movie sucked, now its like "Please dont ruin this film for us"

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by DenKi
people back then didnt whine or complane if the movie sucked, now its like "Please dont ruin this film for us"

That's because people are spoiled these days (ecspeically in americia) If the movie isn't up to their standards, here comes the yelling, the bad mouthing and the angry letter writing.

AmrothSkywalker
Completely agree stylemasta

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.