X-Men do NOT make sense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

omnipotent1
Of course I know it's for the sake of the story, and I love reading the comics, but there is one thing that really bugs me about the whole X Universe, and that is the idea that Mutants would suffer from oppression.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

They'd be much more like Johnny Storm of the upcoming FF movie. THEY'D BE STARS. THEY'D BE FAMOUS. THEY'D BE WEALTHY.

A person who could control magnetism wouldn't have to threaten anyone about anything. People would start shoving trainloads of cash his way the minute people knew.

Same with weather control. Hello!!!! Many a Desert or water poor nation would grant her absolute power. Can anyone say Jordan, Israel, Egypt and any other Desert or near desert nation. That would think God answered their prayers by granting them someone able to control the weather.

Every woman would pray to have mutant babies. Every man would want to say I'm the proud father of 10 mutants.

It has always amazed me that so much fun comic book stuff has come out of the stupidest assumption ever dreamed up.

I do wish there were a way to come up with a slightly more realistic premise for the conflict between mutant and human, but this seems to be the best they can do, and most are happy. So be it. wink

Mainstream
Originally posted by omnipotent1
Of course I know it's for the sake of the story, and I love reading the comics, but there is one thing that really bugs me about the whole X Universe, and that is the idea that Mutants would suffer from oppression.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

They'd be much more like Johnny Storm of the upcoming FF movie. THEY'D BE STARS. THEY'D BE FAMOUS. THEY'D BE WEALTHY.

A person who could control magnetism wouldn't have to threaten anyone about anything. People would start shoving trainloads of cash his way the minute people knew.

Same with weather control. Hello!!!! Many a Desert or water poor nation would grant her absolute power. Can anyone say Jordan, Israel, Egypt and any other Desert or near desert nation. That would think God answered their prayers by granting them someone able to control the weather.

Every woman would pray to have mutant babies. Every man would want to say I'm the proud father of 10 mutants.

It has always amazed me that so much fun comic book stuff has come out of the stupidest assumption ever dreamed up.

I do wish there were a way to come up with a slightly more realistic premise for the conflict between mutant and human, but this seems to be the best they can do, and most are happy. So be it. wink

yeah mutants could have easily taken over they'd be on top not scared.

kayC
i disagree with both of u

mutants wud defo get bothered and most of them wouldnt no wot 2 do about it

theyd get loads of oppression if they "came out" some may even b driven 2 suicide it could b that extreme

Imagine: being the only person in ur town who has strange abilities or looks different very different the older people in ur town might stay away from u coz their scared but the kids, they can b cruel

the mutant would get bullied so much fair enough theymight b driven 2 somethin extreme (if they knew they had the power to do so) but bein realistic they would keep their ability to themselves

......probably

embarrasment ill err b quiet now

Mainstream
mutants would rule.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by kayC
i disagree with both of u

mutants wud defo get bothered and most of them wouldnt no wot 2 do about it

theyd get loads of oppression if they "came out" some may even b driven 2 suicide it could b that extreme

Imagine: being the only person in ur town who has strange abilities or looks different very different the older people in ur town might stay away from u coz their scared but the kids, they can b cruel

the mutant would get bullied so much fair enough theymight b driven 2 somethin extreme (if they knew they had the power to do so) but bein realistic they would keep their ability to themselves

......probably

I agree with you.Imagine having Rouges power.That would suck.

embarrasment ill err b quiet now

kayC
Originally posted by Mainstream
mutants would rule.

mayb they wud but some wud defo b scared and they might b even resort 2 becomin vigilantys

Mainstream
mayb they wud but some wud defo b scared and they might b even resort 2 becomin vigilantys

humanity would tremble at the power of.....MAINSTREAM.....mad70

mr.smiley
In the age of Apocalypse I would be know as DR.Smiley rather than Mr.Smiley.

kayC
Originally posted by mr.smiley
In the age of Apocalypse I would be know as DR.Smiley rather than Mr.Smiley.
cool rolling on floor laughing

Sunspot

kayC
Originally posted by Mainstream
humanity would tremble at the power of.....MAINSTREAM.....mad70

ok... calm dwn im jst sayin

ne way ppl wud b scared of sm1 like rogue coz she has go the potential to b the most powerful mutant eva, and she nos it but she chooses to fight 4 wot is right
bash

Mainstream
ok... calm dwn im jst sayin

ne way ppl wud b scared of sm1 like rogue coz she has go the potential to b the most powerful mutant eva, and she nos it but she chooses to fight 4 wot is right
bash

I can not be hurt, killed, or stopped...foolish insects....the age of MAINSTREAM will come to pass.....mad70

munkiesarus
Well, isn't that kind of what the U-Men + Sublime were doing? Killing mutants and harvesting their organs to be later transplanted into humans who wants to be mutants?

That's definetly on a much lesser scale, but yeah, mutants should definetly be ruling the world.

G.P

GIVE ME A BREAK.

It is just because you take the "shiny" examples into accounts. Even in the X-men universe all mutants are not like "I'm a mutant so I can control this and this." Most mutants would be degenerated and some would look like the elephant man. Would people then start a fan club ?

The truth is in the past things were going exactly as they do in "The elephant man". They would be considered as freak. Take Rogue for example : the only thing you could do with her in real life would be to isolate her somewhere she can't do any harm.

Have some countries created a fan club for the US when they came up with the atomic bomb ? Have they then started to praise the USSR when it came up with ist own in 1949 ?

Sniper_sloth
G.P. raises an excellent point. What about the mutants that are hideous abominations? What about the mutants who have powers but are totally psychotic or on the other hand just plain evil bastards? What about those few rare mutants who's powers go far beyond that of human comprehension? And finally, what about those mutants who are rampaging terrorists?

mr.smiley
I think part of the reason why they haven't taken over is due in part to other super heroes.Think about it.They don't live in our reality.They live in a place with floating cities and Captain America.

Sniper_sloth
Mr. Smiley, you is a scary ass muddafukka. If only for the simple fact of your avatar being what it is.

munkiesarus
Originally posted by Sniper_sloth
G.P. raises an excellent point. What about the mutants that are hideous abominations? What about the mutants who have powers but are totally psychotic or on the other hand just plain evil bastards? What about those few rare mutants who's powers go far beyond that of human comprehension? And finally, what about those mutants who are rampaging terrorists?

Well, those mutants wouldn't be doing the taking cover. They'd simply be living in the Utopia provided for them by the strong mutants who take over the world.

And there would be no mutant terrorists, 'cept for the ones that would disobey the leader of the world, who'd be a mutant.

pr1983

GIVE ME A BREAK.

your describing a utopia...

while there are plenty of people who would welcome and worship them, there are just as many bigots who would seek to undermine them, probably more...

imagine magneto was real... do you think george bush would like to wake up in the morning knowing he's the second most powerful man in the world?

and one last point, johnny storm isnt a mutant, that means alot to alot of people...

long pig
He's right though, they wouldn't be hated the way they are now, so many of them.

But if there were only a few, like it started out being in x-men, people would probably hate/fear them. I suppose this house of m storyline will get rid of all the thousands of un-needed mutants, making it more plausable for them to be opressed.

X-Woman
Think about the world today and how some people have a disability or appearance isn't exactly pretty to them. It makes them feel like they don't fit in. I mean don't you see these kinds of people on TV shows like Oprah and Maury all the time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.