Hustle and Flow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JamalMagloire
Anyone see the trailer for this? Terrance Howard looks pretty solid. Thoughts?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/hustle_and_flow/

forumcrew
i like terrance howard.. but i dont know about this movie

Holcomb
Originally posted by forumcrew
i like terrance howard.. but i dont know about this movie

What don't you know? I think this looks good. It also did well at Sundance and I usually like films that come out of there.

forumcrew
i meant i dont know if i will like it or not.. im 50/50 on it being good.. which is ok because then if it really is good ill be pleasantly suprised

Holcomb
Originally posted by forumcrew
i meant i dont know if i will like it or not.. im 50/50 on it being good.. which is ok because then if it really is good ill be pleasantly suprised

It has over a 90% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. That usually bodes well from my experience, I've read a few of the reveiws and it sounds good.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Holcomb
It has over a 90% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. That usually bodes well from my experience, I've read a few of the reveiws and it sounds good.

Uhh..yeah..that's because only 12 people have reviewed it, given it's not out yet. wink

botankus
They played an TV ad for this during the morning news this morning. That was a bit odd!

zrockerchick
I saw like two last night between 12 and 1! commercials that is!

botankus
Yeah, normally on the 5:00 AM news they have commercials about some Ford dealership or some dude telling you not to pour grease down your drain, and all of the sudden there's these pimps and hustlers on the screen with this loud rap music and show this scene that looks like it's out of Boyz N' The Hood with all these hoopties bouncing off of their shocks and s***.

Holcomb
I've been seeing a lot of ads on MTV. They are pretty cool.

queeng
that movie was GOOD! i got to see the special screening of it! it WAS good! its worth your money! and terrance howard is just TOO TOO FINE!

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by botankus
Yeah, normally on the 5:00 AM news they have commercials about some Ford dealership or some dude telling you not to pour grease down your drain, and all of the sudden there's these pimps and hustlers on the screen with this loud rap music and show this scene that looks like it's out of Boyz N' The Hood with all these hoopties bouncing off of their shocks and s***.

Boyz N The Hood was good. Hustle And Flow loks good. I saw some scenes from 106 & Park.

Cinemaddiction
BET..106 & Park..black TRL..mumble mumble mumble..

Freaky Zeeky
laughing out loud

Cinemaddiction
Hey, gang.

Caught an afternoon showing of "Hustle and Flow", and as you can see by the new sig, its got my seal of approval. Figure I'll give a little review for the skeptics, especially you white folk! laughing

From turning tricks to setting mics on fire, "Hustle and Flow" chronicles the rise of D-Jay. A pimp with a true aspiration to leave behind his seedy lifestyle and fulfill his dream of becoming a rap superstar. Knocking down the barriers that hold him back, with the help of Key, and the support of his friends, D-Jay sets his eyes on the prize, determined to put his rich life story on the street at any cost.

The biggest compliment I could give this film is that it managed to totally immerse me in a seemingly REAL, credible lifestyle of a street hustler. Suggesting there is some humanity in these characters. It's not glamorous, but it's not bullet dodging all day, as rap videos would suggest either. D-Jay is portrayed as someone totally dissatisfied with his unchosen professional, looking to make more out of his life than slinging dope and prostitutes.

Secondly, this being a totally effective drama, I felt for virtually every single character in this film, except for Skinny Black, of course. He, being the personification of a corrupt music industry head who forgot his roots. Everyone's struggle seemed important, as their sadness seemed genuine, and their longing for something more, true. D-Jay, who became somewhat of a street prophet, knew there were better things for everyone, and spread encouragement and motivation to get it.

There were so many solid, dramatic performances to speak of in Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson. Taryn Manning brought up the rear with her performance as a hooker who had reached her wits end, having benefited from the preachings of Howard's character, ultimately "taking charge" of both her life, and D-Jay's career. Anthony Anderson's "Key" character, a driving motivational force in the team's production, was yet another refreshing and positive role for an African American male in cinema.

The market has been saturated for too long with "rags to riches" stories with happy endings. "Hustle and Flow" sidesteps this trend as well, pulling out the flaws in characters, mainly the humanity in D-Jay, who's too green in the business to understand it's exactly that. After pushing a mix-tape onto a seemingly "understanding" Skinny Black, Howard's character finds the tape in a toilet, unravelled, and takes out his frustration on a drunken Skinny, ultimately leading to gunplay and jail time. I appreciate that ending because it's just how it is sometimes. It's real.

This film was picked up at Sundance for boo-koo bucks, and for good reason. It's one of the better indies I've seen all year, and a positive story for virtually anyone who's fallen on hard times, had to make ends meet in the most deplorable of ways, know their better than what they do, and want a way out. I'm not glorifying the pimp game, and neither is this movie. It's just one man's struggle for survival, redemption, and in the very end, achieving his dream of getting HIS story heard.

botankus
That sounds interesting, I will check it out.

Menace touches on -- no, more like drives-by -- getting out of the hood and making the changes that need to be made. From Shareef continuing his life change, to Tracy taking his kids to Kansas, to Ronnie getting a job in Atlanta, to Cain leaving with her.

While I'm sure Hustle & Flow attacks the issue from a different angle and it looks like from just one person, the desire to change - along with the realism - is one of Menace's best qualities.

Charles S. Dutton is extraordinary in Menace as Shareef's father. He is the one of three who help to convince Cain to make the change.

p.s. O-Dog ain't one of the three!........or is he?

Linkalicious
Heard good things about this movie too.

Based on the shitty commercials on radio and a movie title that for some reason reminds me of "You Got Served"...I'd say I would never ever watch it.

Then I was on the radio and some guy said he expected basically the same exact thing that my thoughts were based on, but he said he was VERY surprised by how good the movie is....

I'm always one to watch a movie and decide for myself, but for the most part....I usually agree with Cinne's reviews.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.