DC comes out with better story than Marvel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

joesha28
Well yesterday i went to a comic shop. There i saw 3 old dudes (above 50s) interested in comics. I overheard their conversation: " Marvel would be down the drain if not for their movies, their comic stories are crap. DC's better."

The younger generations are more used to Marvel than DC. Character wise Marvel's have more "fillings" and "feelings" for the character. But coming to story is Marvel losing out to DC.

I don't read much DC but they have very good stories.

JLA : Tower of babel
Batman: Murderer?
Batman: Fugitive
Batman: No man's Land
Batman: Hush

But you see they are all Batman oriented including JLA : Tower of babel.

jinzin
indentity crisis was pretty well done....dc's getting better...the superman/batman book is very well done more times than not...if they can just keep away from their timeline bs then I agree...marvel rehashes the same crap over and over again.....dc storylines tend to be very dramatic and deep....sometimes too deep...marvel's catchin on though...the end titles are very well done...pheonix endsong was awesome..and wolverine: origins was a great one too....

long pig
I used to loath DC all but for Slade and Lobo, but here recently, they've gotten immensly better. Like jin' said, IDC was very good, seems everything is flowing in DC better than Marvel right now.

If I were asked which was making better stories right now, I'd have to agree with those old farts and say DC.

jrodslam
Agreed.

Ive also heard that because of DC having better stories in the past couple of years, alot of the Marvel writers may be leaving Marvel to go over to DC.

8bitChris
HoM looks pretty good so far.

Nataku8188
Originally posted by jinzin
indentity crisis was pretty well done....dc's getting better...the superman/batman book is very well done more times than not...if they can just keep away from their timeline bs then I agree...marvel rehashes the same crap over and over again.....dc storylines tend to be very dramatic and deep....sometimes too deep...marvel's catchin on though...the end titles are very well done...pheonix endsong was awesome..and wolverine: origins was a great one too....

Quoted for truth

manjaro
i love both companies almost equally but most ppl including me, are willing to pick a marvel title first, not only becuase its a "younger generation" thing but becuase Marvel tries to make it so that you like all thier characters where as DC knows that if you like them it has to have something to do with batman, superman or JLA.

so they just stick to the main charcters as thier bread and butter & throw in other sub-level charcters as associates or on another team altogther to futz with your brain and hope you'll get tricked into liking them(coff...coff.... JSA). it works more often than not, cuz dudes like steel, mr. terrific, and hawkman, and green arrow are awsome.

also MArvel keeps thier story present and up to date so that you dont get the chance to forget about them. many a times i would go to the comic shop asking the guy like, "whatever happened to so an so?" in.... .cuz I either forgot about the story or at some point stopped caring. but with marvel, if they end a run now, you can expect a TPB for your collection in at least 2 months where with DC you have to wait a minimum of 6. for eg. identity crisis was one of the biggest f ****ing things for DC from summer to fall of '04. yet we're almost done with '05 and there still isnt a vol.1. its the same thing with batman/superman run. vol.2 took months to come out, and the earilest projections for vol.3 is spring of '06.

DC writers like to take breaks. they'll stop a story mid way then when finally get their thumb outta thier asses and start up again they end up doing a crossover with a current team..b4 they ease back into it. eg. they way that outsiders are teaming up with the Titans for a couple of issues after coming from a hiatus...ironically Titans were on a break just b4 that so to come back snappy they sent superboy thru a dimensional rift and teamed him up with the L.E.G.I.O.N.

this is the type of bull that MArvel would never allow. eg.

ultimate spidey:first TPB published 2002 by 2005 there are 12 volumes, with #13 in the pipelines.

batman/superman:first TPB 2003, by 2005 "2"volumes.......2!!!

DigiMark007
I think Marvel keeps up their regular series' better than DC, but DC does the special side-stories and deeper stories better (Kingdom Come is a perfect example that pops to mind). I read more Marvel overall, but My top 2-3 recent reads are all DC (KC, Sandman stuff...great series byt the way, etc.). I have big hopes for the new Infinite Crisis too.

-DM

DarkCrawler
Supreme Power is the best title of Marvel currently...

Spideys Sister
Marvel goes for the one thing I can't resist....Pity. DC Comics doesn't have much on that... I mean The Hulk for example...He ACCEDENTILY made himself the Hulk while Batman CHOSE to be Batman. Most of Marvels Superheros are the way they are by accident...(except Captain America.) D C comics heros Made the desision to do what they do. Like Superman.

FrothByte
I think the main reason why DC has a few great stories (like kingdom come) is because they concentrate their attention on a single story character line. Like, the only good DC stories I've ever heard of were about superman or batman. I don't think DC ever gave too much attention to their other characters.

Marvel on the other hand, tries to add a personal touch to all their characters. Maybe not as well polished as some DC stories, but you definitely have more variety and more choices.

I'd still pick marvel over dc any day... basically because dc is too single track for me to thoroughly enjoy. Besides, i love the marvel charcters a lot more. they have better costumes, better powers, and more interesting life cycles.

mr.smiley
I like some of the newer Batman stories,but that's about it.Nothing else i've read has realy kept my attention on Dc's front.

ScarletSpider
Marvel's stuck in a rut thanks to Joe Q, who'd rather spend time on Newsarama talking about how great Marvel--and by Marvel I mean Bendis here--is than actually work and make Marvel; real Marvel and not Bendis, great.

Each issue of New Avengers has been the same. It's all been shit, he had a couple clever saves in issue 6, but it was still shit. I can write better stories than he does. I wouldn't even have to sit down and plot, I could just expose myself to the influenza, and once I have a dangerously high fever, I'd take a bunch of prescription pain killers, and in a delerium I could mumble a plot and dialogue into a tape recorder. Type it up and send it to the presses, boys; it'll be a killer.

Marvel does publish a lot of good stuff, you just have to wade through the bullshit. Nicieza's books are usually very good, Young Avengers has been surprisingly enjoyable, anything Priest (I believe he has something in the works at the moment), Brubaker's Captain America has been great. Bendis' Daredevil is now on it's 17th arc about how he's the Kingpin now and there are lots of changes and huge revelations in the city. Although there aren't and it sucks, quite plainly.

Anyways, yeah, I'm mostly a Marvel fan, DC's got some great stuff, but it's all Batman, and they've got this huge boner going on for their summer Infinite Crisis bullshit. But the same can be said of Marvel and House of M. It's a no win situation.

Zod4Life
I have to go with DC but Marvel makes good stories too.

pr1983
Ill always prefer marvel more, but more often that not dc's writing is alot better...

whirlysplat
Both use tthe same writers and cript teams etc over time big grin pointless thread

pr1983
Marvel has bendis... that takes away massively imo...

whirlysplat
Yes and JMS at the moment and JMS is king at present big grin

BENITO
Well Marvel Spidey is awesome and so are X-men and F4

but Dc has the good Batman stories

so I'll be neutral and say that Mirage has the best Stories T-M-N-T

pr1983
Originally posted by whirlysplat
Yes and JMS at the moment and JMS is king at present big grin

JMS?

nigel45
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
Marvel goes for the one thing I can't resist....Pity. DC Comics doesn't have much on that... I mean The Hulk for example...He ACCEDENTILY made himself the Hulk while Batman CHOSE to be Batman. Most of Marvels Superheros are the way they are by accident...(except Captain America.) D C comics heros Made the desision to do what they do. Like Superman.

Alot of DC's heroes got their powers on accident too. Superman didn't choose to GET his powers, he just chose to use them, just like Spiderman chose to use the powers he didn't ask for. Flash is another DC character who didn't choose to get his abilities.

pr1983
Originally posted by nigel45
Alot of DC's heroes got their powers on accident too. Superman didn't choose to GET his powers, he just chose to use them, just like Spiderman chose to use the powers he didn't ask for. Flash is another DC character who didn't choose to get his abilities.

Batman too... if that isnt a life-choice i don't know what is...

xmarksthespot
I like the character evolution of Marvel eg Emma's a good girl (for the most part) now. Birth, deaths, relationships, friendships. It can get pretty convoluted at times but the characters have pretty deep histories now and none of the characters are exactly the same as they were 5 or 10 years ago, let alone when they were first introduced.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.