What did Lucas screw up most on the DVDs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AmrothSkywalker
What did Lucas screw up the most on the original Trilogy DVDs in your opinion? Sorry I didn't have enough room to fit

"Young Anakin spirit at end of ROTJ"

ccoo
I hate that song in ROTJ that the band plays, that belongs in TPM with all of that movies kiddy stuff.
Also I hate the new Anakin being inserted in there too at the end of ROTJ. It was always cool to see old man Anakin with Old man Kenobi and old Yoda, is was sort of poetic. When you see an old person, you kind of look at them more compassionately, and can forget about their bad actions during their life.
Overall, I don't mind most of Lucas changes, I'd rather have the unaltered originals, but I can live with these.

AmrothSkywalker
I highly agree with the Anakin spirit thing. And some at the top I don't mind but I know I don't speak for the entire Star Wars community!

DeVi| D0do
They should put Vader's line "Bring my shuttle" back into Empire Strikes Back instead of "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". He sounded more pissed off in the original one...

dflood
that greedo shot is well the dodginess

OB1-adobe
Its not that big of a deal to me anymore.

So I don't really care, and you should'nt either.

Canadadude
I agree. Bring back Han shooting first, Vader saying "Bring my Shuttle, Max Rebo's old song and the old Ewok song

Morridini
The crappy lightsaber effects was the worst part.

Dan Skywalker
Im not keen on Jabba The Hutt although it is better than the special edition it still not perfect, however i like all the other changes, espcially the Ewok Music at the end and the new Emperor.

jedi-kev
Where's Hayden in ROTJ!!

that was the worst change, Star Wars is dead

Cinemaddiction
Half the gripes you posted were already established when the SE's were released, so not really a DVD issue.

So, just Sy Snootles CGI. Hayden BELONGED in "ROTJ". It's a fitting change, and was pulled off flawlessly. Had Anakin died a Jedi, and about 60 years old, it would have made sense to have Sebastian Shaw in there. Now the chronology is fixed.

Tptmanno1
I dunno though.... Its kinda fuzzy because he DID kinda die a jedi...
But whatever, its not enough to disown the whole series on or some shit like that....

And I like Cantina March... its cool...

Lord Shadow Z
Greedo shooting first was pointless as was the Anakin/Hayden ghost thing at the end of ROTJ- Luke really should not know who the hell that is, sure he could take a wild guess but still.

SS_181st_Snow
For me, it was the Hayden thing and mixing CG in with the flight scenes like in the Death Star trench run. I can't even watch the movies on DVD, I just own them for the sake of owning them. I prefer to watch my original VHS version. It gives me the feel of authenticity. And if my VCR ever dies, I'll just get a new one. No one has seen the OT until they've seen the VHS versions I say.

overlord
Every update was useless and silly.

BTW: I even heard Palpatine was replaced.
I don't know all this shit because I never watched the eightiest update..

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Hayden BELONGED in "ROTJ". It's a fitting change, and was pulled off flawlessly. Had Anakin died a Jedi, and about 60 years old, it would have made sense to have Sebastian Shaw in there. Now the chronology is fixed.

But Anakin did die a Jedi, he was turned from the Dark Side the moment he turned on the Emperor and saved Luke. hence the reason for the following lines:

Luke:" I can't leave you here I've got to save you"
Anakin/Vader: " You already have Luke"

and this:

Anakin/Vader: " You were right about me...tell your sister... you were right"

Thats just my take on it.

Prince Nauj
what lucas really needs to do is release the original movies in dvd's and not tinkle with them so us fans can be happy

Deus Ex
When has GL ever shown consideration for his fans? The only reason he cut downon Jar Jar was to stop picketing of his products.

DarthLazious
How about none of the above?
Does that still count?

darthmaul1
All the changes and edits are fine, except they should of fixed Lukes saber in ANH when he first gets it and when he is training on the falcon. Unless it's something to do with the crystal being too old and never used??
also the face of the wampa when it first attacks luke should of been changed to what it looks like in the cave (there are no horns on it.)

jainasolo55
u forgot one.... the boba voice change! i hate that we all know hes really a jango clone but who cares he sounded so much cooler in the original mad

overlord
laughing They changed that too?? Can't it get more useless???

Canadadude
Originally posted by jainasolo55
u forgot one.... the boba voice change! i hate that we all know hes really a jango clone but who cares he sounded so much cooler in the original mad

He sounded awsome in the orginal. It is a shame really

jainasolo55
yeah! i was so dissapointed bad GL! no

beedubaya
I personally liked the addition of Ian McDiarmid in ESB, it always annoyed me that he didn't play the Emperor in that movie, even before I saw the prequels. What would have been an excellent change but yet they didn't do is redo the lightsaber blades in A New Hope...they look bad and almost fake compared to all the other movies.

overlord
I like those lightsabers, get your hands off of it. miffed

virus five
I cringe at Jabba's music.

overlord
It's pretty weird too that the sarlacc has a beak in his mouth now or something. What's up with that?

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by overlord
It's pretty weird too that the sarlacc has a beak in his mouth now or something. What's up with that?

I hated that beak, it just nulified any kind of imagination of what actually happens when they fall down there. Yes, they get slowly digested but it seemed a lot scarier to me to have no discernable mouth and just be this hungry pit of death.

Stun
if there was an option that read: "Nothing" i would of voted roll eyes (sarcastic)

btw, only 2 of those listed were added to the DVD. The rest were inserted into the SE

bobcrickett
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
They should put Vader's line "Bring my shuttle" back into Empire Strikes Back instead of "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". He sounded more pissed off in the original one...

I agree. big grin

The young Anakin at the end of ROTJ and Greedo shooting first were my only complaints.

Why is the new Ewok finale music up there? I liked it far more than the original.

overlord
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I hated that beak, it just nulified any kind of imagination of what actually happens when they fall down there. Yes, they get slowly digested but it seemed a lot scarier to me to have no discernable mouth and just be this hungry pit of death.
Yeah, I always thought it was a huge beak with fangs, but now it seems as though it is just a hole with a screaming retard in it.

BTW: To respond to the topic. I saw the revised OT just the other day. I could clearly see all the changes. Everytime some new added CGI thing came across I could really spot it clearly. Apperantly Lucas doesn't know how to properly use special effects anymore or something.

And Boba Fetts voice sucked major ass. Lucas actually managed to make the OT worse.. messed

Lord Shadow Z
Yeah, Boba Fetts voice should have stayed- to hell with continuity!

Pondo Booboo
Yeah, there is no contest. Greedo shooting first. A travesty. Doesn't help that Lucas has changed it so they both shoot at the same time now. A travesty. Han was the archetypal spag western cowboy. He HAS to shoot first when some A-hole bug comes after him. That's the only way he's survived (Han was the perfect balancer between he and idealism of luke - and that scene provided the grittiest reality that the universe is DANGEROUS! We were cheated out of that when Lucas ripped that out. Worst of all, It is a LIE! There was ballsy TRUTH to that scene!). Cheevers! Lucas (God bless his genius brain anyways) has really lost touch. If Lucas had had his way, Indy would have taunted the fricking bolder before it had come smashering down the frickering tunnel in Raiders to make it more PC!!!!! Argh!!! And hey, George? Face it, Greedo had already said he was gonna waste Solo. So it's self defence! Why dija change it, baby?

overlord
Luckily, I didn't really notice that when I saw the revised version. Though I did manage to spot every CGI added thing. Apperantly, CGI isn't as realistic as the age old way of making special effects.

Canadadude
Greedo shooting first took away Han Solo's over all character. In the original, Han was a hard ass. He shot first first and asked questions later. He only cared about himself and making profits. At the end of ANH, Han saved Luke and it is the first time he really shows any heart. Bring back the cold hearted Han where he shots first. It makes the movie and character development better.

Pondo Booboo
Originally posted by Canadadude
Greedo shooting first took away Han Solo's over all character. In the original, Han was a hard ass. He shot first first and asked questions later. He only cared about himself and making profits. At the end of ANH, Han saved Luke and it is the first time he really shows any heart. Bring back the cold hearted Han where he shots first. It makes the movie and character development better.

Exactly. That's his whole character arc.

Pondo Booboo
And changing Fett's voice in Empire? Big mistake. He sounded like Clint Eastwood before. Another great little character texture gutted.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.