Kingpin in Daredevil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark Thor
Why did the director pick an African-American actor to play Kingpin? Isnt Kingpin caucasian?

long pig
A black Kingpin was the least of that movies failures.

Scoobless
i don't think his colour is relevant

gentmax
Because he wanted too.

Or maybe the director thought that Michael Clarke Duncan was the best actor for the part.

What difference does it make.

As long as people continue to think about skin color, there will always be judgement of it. miffed

Dark Thor
im not being racist, im just wondering

long pig
Nothing wrong with thinking about skin color, it's natural.

But, yeah, I don't think they should have made him a brotha either, but then again, I don't think ben afleck should have been DareDevil.

That movie was horrid, Elektra sucked too.

powerfulone1987
They said they went with him in the end because he suited the character. They questioned their judgment in the beginning but they said they rather go with an actor that fit the part than drop him for a white actor that didn't.

And I agree color is irrelevant. But I can also understand some fans wondering why they went the direction they did, but being as I was never a hardcore fan of Daredevil, I didn't care at all.

ScarletSpider
Most comic book characters are white because they were created sometime in the 40s-60s, it would have been uncooth and lost them readers had they been championing rights of ethnic minorities. Yes, that's sad, but that's the truth, and I'm sorry. Had Daredevil (or any other hero, actually), his supporting cast and characters been created today there would be a lot more diversity.

Kingpin's a thug from the Bronx (or Brooklyn, I forget which and it really doesn't matter). These days, there's just as much a chance a person of his background would be caucasian, african american, latin-american, etc.

Dark Thor
now when my lil bro was watchin Spider-Man, the animated series, kingpin was fat

pr1983
i liked him as kingpin... coulda been alot worse...

brainchild81
Ditto

jinzin
i thought he made a decent king pin too...IMO an in shape micheal clarke would make a great apocalypse....

pr1983
Originally posted by jinzin
i thought he made a decent king pin too...IMO an in shape micheal clarke would make a great apocalypse....

yeah, he has the voice for it too...

jinzin
yep...and i mean common, we all know apocalypse was a brotha...

pr1983

Seemed like it...

chilled monkey

He was born in Africa wasn't he?

Anyway, Michael Clarke Duncan is a brilliant actor and was the perfect choice for Kingpin. His talent, voice etc. He did a brilliant job in an otherwise very bad movie.

jinzin
egypt...so yeah....

ScarletSpider
Egypt was a busy land in its ancient times, wherein Apocalypse would have been born. While much African stock lived in the area, they had settlers and traders from Europe and the Mediterranean (Greece--Ptolemy a Greek astronomer would sire a line of rulers the last of which would be Cleopatra--and Rome), also from the Middle East (Babylonia--Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan) and more. So Apocalypse wouldn't be white, as we've too often seen Egyptians appear in Hollywood, but he wouldn't be a "brotha" either, exactly. It really depends upon which region he was born in, the time period and whatnot, but he would probably have some African and Middle Eastern stock in him. For more on Egypt's race relations, check out the " The Leapord's Spots" by William Stanton, which summarizes many other works and takes an interesting look at 1800s American race problems in relation to the rest of the world and the history of the subject.

jinzin
thanks...? confused

mr.smiley
Apocalypse is simply just blue.

jinzin
a blue brotha?

mr.smiley
Yeah Happy Dance laughing

nigel45
To be honest, I don't read much DD, so when I saw the movie I just assumed that the kingpin he faces was somehow a different one than the kingpin Spiderman faces.

I thought he did an okay job, though I think some back-story and development would have gone a long way to improve his character.

Freaky Zeeky
yes

LordFear
What does it matter?
Kingpin couldn't have been played better?
I mean a brooklyn/bronk crime lord from the streets, and he is a white guy? Highly unlikely c'mon.
BTW Thanos and Apoc ARE BLACK
Atleast I always thought so

Darth Macabre
Isnt Apocolypse albino or something. He was a mutant so white that his clan left him in the desert? Or am i wrong on that.

But Kingpin being black didnt bother me that much, he did a good job.

dawsey28
Apocalypse is EGYPTIAN!!!

Darth Macabre
Who said he wasnt?

mr.smiley
I thought Apocalypse was Eygptian.

dawsey28
You asked if he was white. Another poster said he was black. And another poster aksed if he was born in Africa.

So I answered.

grey fox
ehh the movie was OK although the only thing that really did stand out was the soundtrack NOW THAT kicked ass

mr.smiley
Originally posted by grey fox
ehh the movie was OK although the only thing that really did stand out was the soundtrack NOW THAT kicked ass

I agree.

Quick Freeze
that was SO gross when he kick his knees out
EEWWWWWWWW puke

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by LordFear
What does it matter?
Kingpin couldn't have been played better?
I mean a brooklyn/bronk crime lord from the streets, and he is a white guy? Highly unlikely c'mon.
BTW Thanos and Apoc ARE BLACK
Atleast I always thought so

Thanos is purple...Thanos is not even born in Earth...

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Isnt Apocolypse albino or something. He was a mutant so white that his clan left him in the desert? Or am i wrong on that.

No, he was mutant so UGLY that his clan kicked him out and left him in desert.

Decision they will regret forever... big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.