"The Assassination of Richard Nixon"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
If I were to select a singular word to describe how I felt after having watched this film, it would have to be "floored". It's not very often that a film just flies under the radar, is picked up on a whim, then totally blows me away. I experienced said pleasure with "The Assassination of Richard Nixon".

Sam Ficke your average hard working American male. He's uncompromising, and conducts his everyday life and vows to remain true to himself, and not circum to the pressures and ideals of what he sees as a crooked presidental cabinet and society in general. On top of this, Ficke's balancing a seperation, the likes of which he's taken upon himself to make work, as it's one of the few things that keeps him going. Having worked his way up the corporate ladder after so many odd jobs, the rungs on said ladder begin to break off, sending him plummetting back into opposition. One failed venture after another, Sam's had enough. Enough of failure. Enough of the oppression. Enough of society in general.

Sean Penn is a horribly underrated actor. There, I said it. I myself never really realized his true prowess until this film, on the heels of "Mystic River". The de-evolution of Sam's character, brought on by the crushing, underlying social qualms is a sight to behold. While he can remain true to himself, his distrust of the government leads him into a paranoid frenzy, accompanied by manic behavior, which he pulls off without a hitch.

Do yourself a favor. Devote 95 minutes to what is argueably Penn's best performance, and his Oscar caliber tour de force offering.

cal31
Yes, most definetly this is one movie that got overlooked. I watched it about two weeks ago after hearing nothing but good things about it and all of them are true. I'm not usually a big Sean Penn fan, but he was great in this. His voice overs were the perfect mood for the film and the characters in the film were great thanks to Don Cheadle and Niomi Watts among others. It's hard to believe how such a great film was missed out on.

botankus
Are you sure this isn't Sean Penn's autobiography?

cal31
Originally posted by botankus
Are you sure this isn't Sean Penn's autobiography? laughing Nice. I agree that is one of the reasons I don't particularly like Penn is because of his radical political beliefs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.