Arwen VS Eowyn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanielLB
Ok, at the moment we have a Aragorn VS Legolas thread so i thought we should see who would win between Arwen and Eowyn! Not a fight however....just your feelings and thoughts. Now i know that hundreds of fans hate Liv Tyler and Arwen but i hope this doesn't affect the results.....

I have to go with Arwen as the best because she gave away her immortality for the once she loved and never gave up hope. stick out tongue big grin

ZoSo

JediMasterLuke5
I say Arwen, even though she did completely nothing durring the war of the ring, she was a Noldor elf I believe.

shadowy_blue
I should say that the lady who could give up her people not just for life, but for eternity in return for the uncertain fate of mankind; who could stand to wait for years while her man risked his life countless times, and to see the stress it placed on him and still be a support when he did turn up is a strong enough character for my taste. I like Arwen.

I have to admit I voted for the both of them though, because I really like Eowyn too. I just thought I would explain my reasons for liking Arwen more thoroughly because not a lot of people seem to understand why I think she's not bad in the book at all.

No need to explain my Eowyn fandomness, I suppose. wink

Forgive me if this would be a little irrelevant to the topic, but Smodden and I were talking last night, and the conversation led to the love triangle between Arwen, Aragorn, and Eowyn. You could say we kinda discussed how the story might change if Aragorn really did fell in love with Eowyn and abandoned Arwen. I have to admit that both the Smod-atron and I were kinda cloudy headed while we were talking since it was the midnight, so we didn't really have the chance to think clearly and come up with a lot of possible consequences that might ensue. We only came up with a couple (no pun intended). stick out tongue

Today though, I was thinking more clearly (never a good idea wink ) and came up with a follow-through on the likely consequences.

Aragorn didn't pursue Eowyn for a number of reasons:

Firstly and most importantly, he was very much in love with Arwen, whereas Eowyn was just someone he met, to whom he meant no harm (if one would re-read the passage in which they meet: he's embarrassed and worried by the infatuation that he sees in her).

Secondly, he was betrothed to Arwen, which was once a commitment every bit as binding as marriage (in the Middle Ages, the betrothal was a ceremony in its own right).

Thirdly, and closely linked to the above, Aragorn is deeply indebted to Arwen's father, whom he esteems very highly, and to whom he would never consider offering such an insult as the abandonment of his daughter.

Fourthly, Aragorn is sufficiently wise to see Eowyn's infatuation as just that: a passing "crush" that would end if allowed to do so; leaving her to discover the reality of love later on. We can see that he understands this from his parting words to her on leaving for Minas Tirith.

Fifthly, of course, there's politics: if Aragorn were to break off his engagement to Arwen in Eowyn's favour, the fragile alliance between Men and Elves could collapse utterly. Aragorn has asked a lot of Elrond in asking for his daughter's hand, and to abandon her would be to throw away the greatest gift that his mentor and benefactor could offer him. Whereas Elrond might forgive, I'm not sure that all other Elves would show such wisdom. Theoden, although blameless, could either refuse the match or face the enmity of the Firstborn, becoming the loser in either case.

These things being so, in my view, the possibilities include the following:

1. Arwen dies of grief, or becomes an Elven Miss Depression. Her life is ruined, as is Elrond's. Elrond never speaks to Aragorn again, and the ties between the Elves and the Dunedain are permanently severed.

2. The bond between Rohan and Gondor is temporarily strengthened, but since Eowyn doesn't really love Aragorn, she could fall for Faramir anyway. That situation could fall out in any number of disasters, including a split between Rohan and Gondor and civil war between the King and the Steward. This assumes a victory over Sauron and Faramir's survival, but this would not be a safe assumption because...

3: Aragorn's banner is never finished. He approaches the Pelennor Fields unrecognized and his army is attacked by both sides in the confusion. Eowyn follows him rather than the Rohirrim (because they're in love), so she's on the wrong part of the field to face the Witch-King. Then Wiki defeats Minas Tirith, leading the other Nazgul to resume their search, and Sauron's Eye, which is recently preoccupied at the battle, returns to Mordor, noticing Frodo and Sam. Game, set and match to Sauron.

I doubt that I've caught all of the possibilities, but I hope that I've struck reasonably close to the mark.

It's amazing how a detail such as Aragorn falling for Eowyn might change the whole course of the story. It's even more amazing how Tolkien had interwoven everything.

But still, it would be a huge plot twist! eek!

dark1365
Eowyn.

Maylien
Arwen is the best see is so cool especially the way she gave up her people and her father for the one she loved.

Darth L. Dipsit

Morbid4Daniel
voted Arwen

Dresta
i didn't like Eowyn in the films she didn't look like a warrior as she was portrayed in the book

Paradox_SPR
Arwen is hot and gives up her people for Aragorn. That tqakes courage

Paradox_SPR
fgfdb

Elessea
^ why can't people come up with a thoughtful and intelligent answer to something?

Paradox_SPR
jgyhjty

Paradox_SPR
no i was testing

Paradox_SPR
i wanted to see what the avatar looked like

Paola
^ looks fine. Now topic...

Arwen, for me. Haven't read the books so I don't like Eowyn due to the 'sub-standard script-writing' mentioned earlier in this thread.

masterkit
I belive in da movies Arwen

In the books Eowyn and becuz Arwen was only metioned once in the books.

billyboyd4ever
Well Arwen is mentioned in the Appendices. They tell the story of Arwen and Aragorn..

Anyway, I like Arwen better in both. I don't know why, but for some reason I've always had an aversion to Eowyn (and Mirando Otto for that matter). Perhaps it just bugs me because I feel like she's encroaching on Arwen's guy... hmm.
Anyway, I like Liv Tyler much better, and the Arwen/Aragorn thing makes much more sense.

So as a hopeless romantic, Arwen gets my vote for both movie and book.

elfprincess101
yeah i agree Arwen is the best and my friend thinks so too. and she says aragorn and arwen are the perfect couple!

ilvorlandobloom
i like Eowyn better, in the movie they made the whole Eowyn-Aragorn-Arwen love triange a WAY bigger deal than it really was...kinda made me mad cuz that was the reason for a lot of Eowyn hating...but she really is a great character.
(wow, i havent been to this forum in sooo long!)

DarthLazious
Arwen in a heart beat.

Son of Boromir
Arwen made a good character but i didnt want her that much in the movie and i didnt like her and niether of them are that hot only cute but Eowyn wasnt a cool character and had stupid lines

fini
A voting thread and SB posts over a 1000 words. LOL

Lady Jhennya
I vote for Arwen. I just cant think any sweeter pair then she and Estel. They so cute. And well maybe that also makes me vote Arwen that I have told that I remind her and I wish I do roll eyes (sarcastic)
And I just love Aragorn... and Arwen is cute.

Lady Jhennya R.

Lady Jhennya
Oh and forgot to say that I like Eowyn too. Really much. She and Faramir are really cute couple. The scene in ROTK where they met...
so cute...

bunny

gandalftheblack
i guess the main problem is - are we talking about the movie or the book - in the movie liv tyler beats the eowyn girl by miles and there is no dispute.

in the book, however, both play a vital role - arwen in...hmmm... motivating Aragorn, and Eowen in killing the Witch King - there we go ;-)

Batman Returns
umm arwen also motivated aragorn in the movies, "your are isildurs heir, not idildur himself, you are not bound to his fate". and that part in TTT when eowyn asks aragorn "who is the women who gave you that jewel?".

anyways, i am NOT one of those ppl who "hate" arwen and liv tyler (though she was a strange choice to play arwen, but she was brilliant). she had alot of emotion, shes, omg, the most beautfiful elf and female in the whole story (perfect skin!), and she DID give up her immortality for aragorn, i mean, cmon, live forever, or die just to be with your true love? that is a bIG sacrifice, and there is alot of self-sacrifice in LOTR's (obviously a very christian example from tolkien), and i have to say arwen beats eowyn with that, and looks wise too, though eowyn is VERY beautiful as well, just not in the same way as arwen, i mean, there both gorgeus but in different ways.

in a fight however, eowyn kicks arwens butt bigtime. i mean, she killed a fell beast AND the witchking, not to mention the mumakil and orcs and stuff, WOW! eek! cool

Council#13
Arwens hotter so her

Discos
to be honest, I am a bit indimidated by Eowyn, she knows how to kick some guys ass (just like my girlfriend).

Arwen is too much of a priss and a nance, "daddy daddy daddy ect", she is such a glory hunter - "no I wont live in oeace with my kindred, I want to marry the bleeding King, is that TOO MUCH TO ASK!!"

roughrider
Difficult choice - but I would have to say Arwen. Those elf-looks never age.

Rogue20
I voted for Arwen because I like the way she was portrayed by Liv Tyler. I really haven't read the books so, I choose the character that I liked the most. Plus, I really didn't like Eowyn that much. I mean would she have given up her people and her way of life for a love. I think not, that's why I choose Arwen.

LIV TYLER IS AWESOME!!! cool

Council#13
The Ever Beautiful Arwen

Bar-en-Danwedh
I had to go with Eowyn...

she was an absolute sweetie in the films and she killed the witchking.

she fell for a king, but settled for a steward...
it's the coping with adversity and competition feel good story of the century.

Backspace
Arwen. Eowyn in the movies annoyed me.

Council#13
arwen is so much hotter

PinstripePapaya
arwen every time, no contest

Council#13
Arwen is so much cleaner too. eowyn always looks like a horse pooped on her

xx_Arwen_xx
water of the misty mountains hear the great word; flow waters of loudwater against the ring wraiths!!

Council#13
yeah, what they said....

Frozen kisses
I have to say eowyn. All arwen seemed to do was cry.

A.D. Skinner
Originally posted by Frozen kisses
I have to say eowyn. All arwen seemed to do was cry.

Eowyn seemed much more like a stronger woman than Arwen. Arwen was only worried about Aragorn and their love...where as even though Eowyn was falling in love with him...she was not scared to fight for what she loved the most !!!

Frozen kisses
Originally posted by A.D. Skinner
Eowyn seemed much more like a stronger woman than Arwen. Arwen was only worried about Aragorn and their love...where as even though Eowyn was falling in love with him...she was not scared to fight for what she loved the most !!!

Meh women..some cry some fight..

bogen
elfs rule, no questions asked. sleep

Council#13
Arwen is cleaner, prettier, but im not sure sweeter. but she is more intelligent and almost as brave as eowyn. she challeneged all nine Nazgul

LadyOfMirkwood9
Arwen of course

Fëanor
Originally posted by LadyOfMirkwood9
Arwen of course NOOOOO!!!!! Eowyn is by far better than Arwen.

immortal_sim
i cant believe arwen is winning!!!! she dusnt do nethin!!!! yer, liv tyler is a good actress but her character is rubbish!!!! eowyn is wkd and she actually fights and helps in the war!!!! she rules and totally kicks arse!!

coolmovies
Liv tayler shes beatyfull

thefallen544
I voted Eowyn, shes a stronger character in a lot of respects and is more involved at the forefront of the story wheras Arwen seems to be a background character, an important background character but still a background character.

Blaxican Hydra
Eowyn annoyed the hell out of me in the books and movies. Arwen all the way.

coolmovies
ya good thing aragorn liked Arwen and not the other

arwenrocks
Arwen by miles in da film. ive never read da books and i know evry1 is saying eowyn defated da witch king bla bla bla but arwen challenged all 9 of dem raith thingies so she is not timid!!!!!!!! Eowyn really annoyed me aswell!!!!!!!! love

arwenrocks
does any1 know wat arwen said wen she killed da nazgul?????

aniron
I'm saying Arwen (i did this post last year and eowyn won). I really didn't like eowyn as i thought she was far to easily treading on arwens turf with aragorn! I liked her better in rotk but she did treat merry like a child which peed me off! She also mopes to mcuh, and never for theodin thought he seems to think so lol lol.

I don't mind her now though!

I just love arwen. so so so so wonderful, beautiful, brave. GREAT!

thefallen544

coolmovies
I wanna marry arwen love

aniron
she kills herself (aka gives up her immortality) if thats not brave i don't know what is! you don't need to put a sword in someones hand to make them strong and brave!

vanice

jainasolo55
arwen sucks ppl she was weak all she did was cry about aragon eoywn was strong and kicked some wicked ass in battle

thefallen544
Whilst initially Tolkien did think to reuse the name his later and near final writings show him changing his mind I believe to reflect that Glorfindel was one and the same. Glorfindel also is mentioned knowing Gandalf as Olorin in the blessed land before either wan sent/sent back to Middle-earth. Because of his stay in the Blessed Realm its it written (and I have seen the passage somewhere I must now go and read all my books) that this was the reason why Glorfindel was so powerful. He became near maia like in status.

Its also worth noting that because Glorfindel had dwelled there and seen the light of the two trees he existed in both the seen world and the unseen world at the same time. The Nazgul see him "unveiled" as it were, a shining light of an Elf Lord in all his fury. Arwen had not seen the light of the two trees and there's no way her power levels could be the same.

thefallen544
Ahar I have found a quote upon his final thoughts re Glorfindel in the HOME books "The Return of the Shadow"

"Also very noteable is 'Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Gondolin.' Years later, long after the publication of The Lord of the Rings, my father gave a great deal of thought to the matter of Glorfindel, and at that time he wrote : in The Lord of the Rings is one of the cases of somewhat random use of the names found in the older legends, now referred to as The Silmarillion, which escaped reconsideration in the final published form of The Lord of the Rings.' He came to the conclusion that Glorfindel of Gondolin, who fell to his death in combat with a Balrog after the sack of the city and Glorfindel of Rivendell were one and the same : he was released from Mandos and returned to Middle-earth in the Second Age"

masterkit
In an actual fight I don't know, due to that we have never seen Arwen really fight. But character and depth-wise Arwen, but for Strength they both equal as the same.

speiderman
eowyn.
I thought she was cool. she has that warrior princess thing going on which is cool

lordmohahat
bring back venom so we can have CARNAGE!!!!!!!!

Selina*Starfire
Arwen. happy

Naz
I hated movie Eowyn. She made me mad.

Biccie
Arwen would win for sure. She has many powers to draw on and will have been taught in battle too. She would also be quicker.

xx Happy Gal xx
Personally, I like Eowyn better, all in all shes a stronger woman then Arwen and she can fight, and kicks some butt too!

Arwen is always crying about something....
But, I think Aragorn and Arwen are good as a couple and Faramir and Eowyn are great too.

Final Blaxican
Realistically speaking, Eowyn is a trained shield-maiden, whereas Arwen is... ?

I'm sure Arwen has at least some combat training, but I think Eowyn probably has more, what with being a shield-maiden and belonging to a culture that focused more on combat than nature and such.

Incanus
Arwen. She gave up her ppl, forsook the Blessed Realm, and Gave up immortality for her cousin.Woops, spoiler in there but yes, they are cousins from Elronds brother Elros, who Aragorn is descended from.

Red Nemesis
But none of those things contributes to combat. It's great that you've read the books but those 'feats' don't suggest, even remotely, that Arwen the princess would be able to take on Eowyn the shieldmaiden.

Incanus
Well, Arwen may be able to use ANY form of water and summon those stallions. She is also over 2000 years old by the time of the Trilogy, so she should be a swordswoman of considerable skill, as she would probly end up having to fight SOMETIME over the course of 2000 years.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.