Cine's Second Chance..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
So, I've decided to start giving a few more Horror flicks that I once shat upon verbally a second chance to work their way into my heart.

Today's guinea pig is going to be Rob Zombie's "House of 1,000 Corpses". It's been a good year or so since I saw it, well before I joined KMC, so, after having been so positively influenced in many ways, including giving films another go-round, we'll see what happens.

Other films I think I'm going to revisit include "Phantasm", "Bubba Ho-Tep", "The Hills Have Eyes", "Last House on the Left", and "Cabin Fever". Given there have been soooo many movies I've seen since joining here, can anyone else remember flicks I hated? laughing out loud

MildPossession
Don't put yourself through Cabin Fever again!! Save yourself.

In a few years do A Tale of Two Sisters... smile

Deano
cine have u saw ''let sleeping corpses lie'?

Zilverz
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
So, I've decided to start giving a few more Horror flicks that I once shat upon verbally a second chance to work their way into my heart.

Today's guinea pig is going to be Rob Zombie's "House of 1,000 Corpses". It's been a good year or so since I saw it, well before I joined KMC, so, after having been so positively influenced in many ways, including giving films another go-round, we'll see what happens.

Other films I think I'm going to revisit include "Phantasm", "Bubba Ho-Tep", "The Hills Have Eyes", "Last House on the Left", and "Cabin Fever". Given there have been soooo many movies I've seen since joining here, can anyone else remember flicks I hated? laughing out loud

House of 1000 corpses is an excellent selection for the Cine^2. I personally thought the movie was fabulous. way more frightening than many movies today. Since the story continues this summer, glad you have selected it

Cabin Fever should be reviewed again. I didnt think it was anything absolutely spectacular. But I thought it was a decent horror with many gorey elements. Cerina Vincent is also my imaginary lover. (:

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by MildPossession
Don't put yourself through Cabin Fever again!! Save yourself.

In a few years do A Tale of Two Sisters... smile

Now, I've dissed "Cabin Fever" the most on KMC, I owe it one more chance. Just one.

"A Tale of Two Sisters". Arrgh..maybe later, I'll have to review "Audition" first though.

BackFire
Giving Audition another chance, eh? Hope you like it better the second time in, now that you know what to expect from it.

Deano
Originally posted by Deano
cine have u saw ''let sleeping corpses lie'?

what am i cine, a fukin mirage?

lol

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Deano
what am i cine, a fukin mirage?

lol

Hey, did Dean reply to this thread? confused

Never saw it, not sure it's available 'round here. I did however finish "House of 1,000 Corpses". Pretty cool the second time around, only real complaint was not enough gore, and it should have ended at the burial scene. Just let those "things" bust open the casket and call it a day. After that, it errupted into a whole different movie, feel wise. Coulda made Spaulding the real Dr. Satan er something.

Deano
Hey, did Dean reply to this thread? confused

Never saw it, not sure it's available 'round here. I did however finish "House of 1,000 Corpses". Pretty cool the second time around, only real complaint was not enough gore, and it should have ended at the burial scene. Just let those "things" bust open the casket and call it a day. After that, it errupted into a whole different movie, feel wise. Coulda made Spaulding the real Dr. Satan er something.

u like zombie flicks dont ya?
hunt it down!!!!
its gr8 underrated flick
have a look one ebay
its also goes under the name ' living dead at manchester morgue'

SlipknoT
Your always talking about that movie Deano laughing out loud

Deano
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Your always talking about that movie Deano laughing out loud

i wanna discuss it with some one!!
lol no one has seen it

eggmayo

Phantasm and Bubba Ho-tep are great!

Wolfie
You didn't like Bubba Ho-Tep the first time around? Yes, watch it again.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Wolfie
You didn't like Bubba Ho-Tep the first time around? Yes, watch it again.

..or second, so, that would be a Third timer.

papabeard
Just stuck "Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" on my rental list , hope its good suckah!

Deano
Originally posted by papabeard
Just stuck "Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" on my rental list , hope its good suckah!

it is!!
its so underated its untrue

papabeard
Just watched "LDAMM" thought it was OK, id say 5 out of 10. Decent story and better acting and production values than most zombie films, although tended to lack atmosphere in places, no real gore until later in the film. Not bad but not as good as Zombie Flesh Eaters.

Also watched Dead Alive, which I preferred, pretty cool film.

tabby999
love Dead Alive. and c-dic, your a better cat than i, i dont think i could put myself through House of 1000 corpses again, it was god awful

papabeard
shecht, didnt mean Dead Alive ( Braindead, which is a legend) I meant Dead and Buried

tabby999
ah ok. either way, i'm having a go at some second chances, first on the list, American Psycho

Cinemaddiction
Watched "Audition" again today, and still feel the exact same way. Boring, and a letdown at the end. Way too tame, regardless of the suggested shock value.

tabby999
as i said, i'm cashing in on C-Units idea and have re watched American Psycho. to anyone who i have been rude to about liking this movie, i'm sorry. for years, i thought the flick was a steaming pile of shite. dont ask me why, i just thought it was, maybe it was me being an unappreciative youth, i dunno, either way, i'm a changed man! i never realised how this movie works, how the ending is all up to what you think happened. 5/5

Cinemaddiction
Goooooood. The unraveling of the story supposedly plays out 10x better in the book, but I don't know if you can determine weither he's clinically insane or not without the visuals. I mean, animals from an ATM?

Myth

WHAT!?! You didn't like Bubba Ho-Tep!?! I thought it was so funny. Very quotable movie. I just saw "Last House on the Left" at Blockbuster and thought "That has to be one of the stupidest horror movie titles."

Cinemaddiction
I saw "Bubba Ho Tep" like 3 times already. One more go and I'm calling it a day. People hold a lot of Craven's earliest, Pre-NOES work in really high regard. I'm going to see those again as well, just because they probably deserve one more shot.

BackFire
Craven's early work is incredibly dated, but if you keep in mind the time period when they were made they're easy to admire.

tabby999
so it dosn't age very well then?

Cinemaddiction
Don't necessarily stand the test of time, but not a lot of Horror flicks do. It's more so that they let the surroundings date it film itself, while there are old, old Horrors who's STORIES age well, indeed. i.e. TCM.

But, the synthisizer sounds when someone's getting stabbed in LHOTH don't really do anything for the film..laughing

Zilverz
Don't necessarily stand the test of time, but not a lot of Horror flicks do. It's more so that they let the surroundings date it film itself, while there are old, old Horrors who's STORIES age well, indeed. i.e. TCM.

But, the synthisizer sounds when someone's getting stabbed in LHOTH don't really do anything for the film..laughing

You know just going off what you said, I think Amitiville Horror (original) stands the tests of time quite well. No bullshit it was very scary and i was on the edge of my seat watching it for the first time in 2004. If im not mistaken that is one of the movies you have bashed. Maybe it should be a candidate for a 2nd chance

BackFire
The original Amitiville Horror is an excellent and unique ghost movie. One of the only ones that really drives home a sense of realism when dealing with supernatural things.

papabeard
except for the stupid pig thing, that kind of ruins it for me, other than that though its decent.

Zilverz
the window scene ? it creeped me out ...even for a low budget effect

Cinemaddiction
Well, took your advice and watched "Amityville" again tonight and really enjoyed it. It's been a good 3 years since I saw it last, and a good bit of it still works today. I think I enjoyed the remake about as much, honestly.

One thing that would have made the original better would have been James Brolin. As soon as his character was introduced, he seemed indifferent, which made any subsequent mood swings after moving into the house just seem like a non-event, as if he hadn't changed. He was a very nonchalant character, and I think Ryan Reynolds nailed the role in the 2005 rendition.

Another thing, anyone notice how damn similar James Brolin looks compared to Christian Bale!?

http://www.signatureworld.de/Brolin_James.jpg

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/AmityvilleHorror/AmityvilleHorror7.jpg
http://www.allfansites.com/actors/Christian%20Bale/Christian%20Bale%20.jpg

http://film.onet.pl/_i/news/duze/c/christian_bale_1.jpg

papabeard
I think someones mama's gotsumsplainintodo!

papabeard
In a similar vein I just rewatched House of 1000 corpses, the first time i saw it , i thought it was rubbish, but on watching it again I realised I expected too much from it, i foolishly thought it was going to rival the TCM as I had not read anything about its content or story at the time of viewing, I thought it was going to be a serious, realistic horror film, and I was sorely disappointed and therefore couldnt appreciate its true genius.

On the second viewing I dispensed with all those preconceptions and realised it is the most insane, idea filled, essential comedy horror homage ever made and I ****ing loved it.

So many ideas, so many mutated iconic images from past horror classics , it just gets more over the top and unhinged as it goes on, its like the TCM on acid, I admit its not flawless, originality isnt its strong point , but by combining and mixing all these old ideas it becomes something original and realism has no place in madness such as this. House of 1000 Corpses is a modern classic, 9/10. (10/10 for effort)

Zilverz
Well, took your advice and watched "Amityville" again tonight and really enjoyed it. It's been a good 3 years since I saw it last, and a good bit of it still works today. I think I enjoyed the remake about as much, honestly.

One thing that would have made the original better would have been James Brolin. As soon as his character was introduced, he seemed indifferent, which made any subsequent mood swings after moving into the house just seem like a non-event, as if he hadn't changed. He was a very nonchalant character, and I think Ryan Reynolds nailed the role in the 2005 rendition.

Another thing, anyone notice how damn similar James Brolin looks compared to Christian Bale!?

awesome, so you didnt say, you think this movie withstands the tests of time or nay?

haha ya dye james brolins hair black.. slick it back and hed look a lot like John Preston. Altho hed have to whipe that smirk off his face

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, I think it carries pretty well. I think the "GET OUT" chants were creepy as hell, and the bleeding walls were ingenius. I know "Evil Dead 2" took that gimmick to the extremes, but still.

The "eyes" in the window..I gave the effects crew a free pass on that. THAT was hilarious.

Zilverz
Some of you MAY Laugh when I say this. But another movie I think cine should give a second chance to is the original Jeepers Creepers. I absolutely hate JC2. But JC1 I thought was scary, some really tense scenes. It maintained a straight horror theme through the entire film. Not this JC2 crap where he plays games with victims and they mix in comedy.

alright ill welcome the flames, but it was creepy damnit !

papabeard
It was creepy until the beast was revealed, also the story hinged on them going back to look in the pipe after they had seen he was a demon and that he dumped a body down there, which for me was a poor plot device, not very believable. But it was ok , i have seen worse, it had some good moments.

Cinemaddiction
I like the original "Jeepers Creepers", so does my girlfriend. It's funny because I got the DVD for $1 or so I think, and so many people hated the movie, now it's OOP, and since hardly everyone knocked it, it may actually become somewhat of a rarity.

BackFire
I thought the first 45 minutes of Jeepers Creepers was quite good, before it turned out that it was a flying demon. It was creepy and actually reminded me of a good 70's horror film.

After he sprouted wings it all went to hell.

Impediment
Bubba Ho-Tep surprised the hell out of me. Not only did I go out and buy the DVD the next day, but Bruce Campbell did excellent as Elvis. Still, I wish he would have uttered the immortal phrase "Gimme some sugar, baby!" to the hot nurse lady. That'd have been cool.

stingray005
I'm gonna try to give the sequels to the NOES films a second chance...

wish me luck

Impediment
The sequels are horrible for me to watch. The only one I can kinda tolerate is NOES 3: Dream Warriors.

stingray005
The third was alright, except for the stupid wheel chair kid. And the fourth had some cool effects but that's about it. Anyway I don't want to get too off topic.

Zilverz
Originally posted by BackFire
I thought the first 45 minutes of Jeepers Creepers was quite good, before it turned out that it was a flying demon. It was creepy and actually reminded me of a good 70's horror film.

After he sprouted wings it all went to hell.

sounds like we need a Backfire^2 post as well

Cinemaddiction
"Jeepers Creepers 2" was oozing with homoerotic undertones, especially the "Creeper" wagging his finger, nodding and smiling while he chose hunky male athletes off of the school bus.

BTW, tried "Ichi" again tonight was was bored senseless, and it's STILL not a gory movie, no matter what anyone says. I still think it's rather overrated, as well.

Deano
jeepers creepers 1 was really interesting and creepy for the first half..but then it got craperm

i rather liked ichi the killer..its not that bad

tabby999
nah i'll stand by Cine with that, apart from the gore, its there, and in itself the only appealing thing about the damn movie

Cinemaddiction
Not to go too far off topic, but there's hardly any gore in Ichi. 3 scenes stand out. 1 in the hotel room, blood on the ceiling. 1 in another oom, corpses and parts everywhere. 1 towards the end, don't remember specifics. Together it was about 2 minutes long, not counting the Detective slicing off the tip of his tongue.

tabby999
yeah, and ichi cutting the guy in half, that chicks foot of, the chick getting bashed by her hubby, or the detective eating that guys hands. and needles through the face. ok, back on topic now, sorry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.