Real "life" Zombies!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

Wow. I guess this signals the beginning of the end for the major religions. You'll be able to experience death for 3 hours and be revived without a scratch.

This should put an end to the whole life after death nonsense.
But of course the devout believers will say that "god knew that you were only playing scientifically dead and he knew not to send you to hell just yet". laughing out loud

PVS
i searched and searched for articles on this outside that website, to no avail.
im not ready to believe this just yet

debbiejo
Originally posted by Tex

Wow. I guess this signals the beginning of the end for the major religions. You'll be able to experience death for 3 hours and be revived without a scratch.

But of course the devout believers will say that "god knew that you were only playing scientifically dead and he knew not to send you to hell just yet". laughing out loud

If and when done on humans, I wonder if there would be any personality change....

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
i searched and searched for articles on this outside that website, to no avail.
im not ready to believe this just yet

I agree, I can't find anything on it either.

Fishy
I wonder what people will see...

Tex
I guess being dead for several hours and being revived would give the person a new found respect for life. Especially since it's your only one.

This is so exciting, science has killed the religious fairy tales most alluring bait. We will know what is beyond life. Nothing.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fishy
I wonder what people will see...

That is something I would want to know....Maybe much like near-death experiences....But much longer....

Fishy
And how do you gather that there is nothing after life by this article? You haven't been there yet have you?

debbiejo
Originally posted by debbiejo
That is something I would want to know....Maybe much like near-death experiences....But much longer....

Originally posted by Tex

This is so exciting, science has killed the religious fairy tales most alluring bait. We will know what is beyond life. Nothing. [/QUOTE

Doesn't prove that there's not life after death.

Tex
Originally posted by debbiejo

Not near death, death. Brain dead, heart dead, dead as in dead. For several hours.

whirlysplat
Its fake obviously big grin

debbiejo
Originally posted by Tex
Not near death, death. Brain dead, heart dead, dead as in dead. For several hours.

Well, supposedly near-death is dead..dead..dead...Just shorter.

The funny thing though is that your brain cell would die...

Tex
I'm really not surprised with the "believers" reactions. Science has proved your beliefs wrong time and time again but yet you still believe in your fairy tales.

I'm sure this will be no different. Ignorance is bliss.

This will have an amazing impact on humanities future. People will freeze themselves for hundreds of years and have the ability to live for thousands!

How exciting! Especially now that there's no heaven to look forward to, people will try to prolong their lives for as long as it technologically possible.

Fishy
You call believers ignorant but this article proves nothing about Heaven or not... You just seem to want it too. Like you want religion to fail even more then it already has. This article proves nothing, why do you claim otherwise?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Tex
I'm really not surprised with the "believers" reactions. Science has proved your beliefs wrong time and time again but yet you still believe in your fairy tales.

I'm sure this will be no different. Ignorance is bliss.

This will have an amazing impact on humanities future. People will freeze themselves for hundreds of years and have the ability to live for thousands!

How exciting! Especially now that there's no heaven to look forward to, people will try to prolong their lives for as long as it technologically possible.

Easy for you to say....You can't ask a dog what it saw or didn't see.

KharmaDog
Actually, near dead is just near dead. Dead "means" dead . You are either dead, or you are alive. Dead is dead.

debbiejo
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Actually, near dead is just near dead. Dead "means" dead . You are either dead, or you are alive. Dead is dead.

OK...dead, dead, dead....OK

I don't think it could be done on humans....brain cells would die...

Deano
the whole human race are zombiesbig grin

WindDancer
Immortality...I see. Well, that doesn't cure old age. So who wants to be immortal old person? No thanks. Death is something that we have to experience. Delusions of living forever will not benefit nor will it improve humanity. Besides this is more likely to apply to people that can afforded it. Not for your average minimum wages proletariat.

Tex
Originally posted by Fishy
You call believers ignorant but this article proves nothing about Heaven or not... You just seem to want it too. Like you want religion to fail even more then it already has. This article proves nothing, why do you claim otherwise?

Just call it a wild hunch babe. But something tells me people wont be coming back with postcards from heaven and pictures with Jesus! stick out tongue

Fishy
Originally posted by Tex
Just call it a wild hunch babe. But something tells me people wont be coming back with postcards from heaven and pictures with Jesus! stick out tongue

That will be kinda hard because they are dead...

Still I can understand why you think there isn't a heaven. But this article doesn't prove it. It doesn't prove anything really.

KidRock
Originally posted by Deano

And it is all George Bush's fault!

debbiejo

Yes, the walking dead.....brain dead.

Originally posted by KidRock

laughing out loud

Deano
Originally posted by KidRock

bush is a puppet..he ay got a clue

KidRock
bush is a puppet..he ay got a clue

You're right...Damn that Dick Cheney..DAMN HIM TO HELL!

BackFire
hehe....dick...

KharmaDog
So what you're saying, is Bush is a puppet and Dick is inside him controlling him?

BackFire
HAHAHA!!!

KharmaDog
That one was just for you Backfire thumb up

BackFire
Good stuff.

PVS
all this talk of dick and bush....i thought this forum was pg-13

BackFire
No shit, I don't know whether I should ban someone or start masterbating.

SaTsuJiN
Hmm.... lets hope we dont get a real-life umbrella corporation

*wakes up in hospital with no memories* blink
Doctor : you've been um... clinically dead for 2 years...*cough*
Me : confused ..... evil face brains~!
Doctor : eek!

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by WindDancer
Immortality...I see. Well, that doesn't cure old age. So who wants to be immortal old person? No thanks. Death is something that we have to experience. Delusions of living forever will not benefit nor will it improve humanity. Besides this is more likely to apply to people that can afforded it. Not for your average minimum wages proletariat.

Very good point!
If tech like this will ever become a reality, consider the consequences of the fact that it will only be accessible for the filthy rich:
Dictators will rule for ages, Bill Gates will slap us around with windows forever, oil will remain the most depended on fuel even when there's just 10 barrels left of it.
In human history so far, the few rich and powerful did a very good job f*cking up this world, while they had only a few decades of influence.
Imagine them living far, far longer...
Sure, for each leech that crumbles up and dies another one steps up, but the power and control one could achieve if they had multiple lifespans to manifest themselves even further in their dominant position...
Just one of those bastards being kept alive for a 80 years more on each continent and this world will not have any life on it when the clock strikes 2200 a.d.

ChickinMeat
wow thats awesome, maybe if you got revived you could get a certificate saying "im 100% zombie", be some topic of discussion down the pub

mr.smiley
I don't think this is true guys.First of all,this would be a major scientific breakthrough and i've herd nothing on the news.Second,did you see some of the other stories they had on their?A little far fetched.

Tex
laughing out loud The story is legit and accurate.
There are tons weird science/technology news reports that are never widely reported in the mainstream media.

Nowadays news isn't worthy news if it doesn't involve Tom Cruise or Katie Holmes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But seriously, you guys dont know how to use google.
The story also appeared on:
PhysOrg.com
freeinternetpress.com
freerepublic.com

and for all you Fox News loving Christians:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160903,00.html

mr.smiley
Guess they didn't search well.

awesome!

FeceMan
And yet...what if people said they saw heaven/hell/evidence of an afterlife? What if the believers lied to keep their faith? What if the nonbelievers lied to disregard others' faith? What if God said that there was no point in introducing people to an afterlife if they were going to awaken to mortality once again?

Heaven and hell, as residences, are eternal. Not temporary living centers. Anyone who experienced heaven and came back to life would want to die just to go back. The exact opposite would be true for those who visited hell, but their minds would be...not in the best of health.

whobdamandog
Nothing really new here people. Humans have been put in "near death" states for years, hooked up to life support and have come back to "life"....so to speak.

Many have been determined "clinically dead" for several minutes, and brought back to life as well. Those who have come back to life, generally give accounts of "supernatural" visions regarding heaven and hell, so if anything...I believe these "near death" experiences would more than likely validate the possibility of life after death, rather than disprove it. Some say that chemical reactions in the brain are responsible for these "near death" visions..however..there really is nothing substantive out their to prove that theory.

Back on topic. I believe the real question science is trying to answer is how long can someone remain in a "near death" state, before completely dying?

My opinion...Unless someone is able to bring a completely dead body back to life...(ie bodies that have been in the mortuary/grave for a couple of days and are decomposing)

there isn't any real discovery here...

mr.smiley
I agree with you to an extent.I've never herd of someone coming back from brain death though.That would be something.

JKozzy
What about the whole bit about your brain becoming mush after 15 minutes of being deprived of blood circulation, all the brain cells dying? Surely this wouldn't work on humans... I don't believe it.

whobdamandog
A little more information..taken from the following link..

Near Death Experiences(NDE)

Pretty interesting article..if you have some time..I'd suggest reading the entire thing.

dark1365
Originally posted by Tex

This only means that if you bleed out. Nothing else. And I'm not really going to believe it anyway.

Tex
What preposterous ridiculousness! To suggest that someone who has been clinically brain dead for longer than a day would wake up with out suffering any serious brain damage is extremely laughable! schmoll They obviously were not scientifically brain dead. It happens alot actually. The doctor will check your pulse and breathing and if there is none your declared clinically dead. 99% of the time they wont check for brain activity.

What these scientists are doing is completely new. They will scientifically kill you for several hours and ensure that the brain is actually dead. Not near death but dead.

People's perceptions and experiences during NDE's run the gauntlet. People report seeing Jesus and the devil, demons and departed loved ones; a tunnel of light or fire, and others report experiencing nothing.

A dying brain haywire's and discharges all of its neurological pulses before it completely dies. That's what people experience, its like being on drugs. Once the brain is completely dead perception of every kind ceases to exist, forever.

dark1365
yeah I know Tex...
If they are brought back to life with an electric shock, that would only get the heart moving. The circulation might awaken all the vital organs, and breathing might occur. Now, that would send oxygen into the brain. But because of the brain damage from the electric shock, that means that there's a good chance they will have no sense of memory, etc. It's like wiping out your harddrive...you'll probably have to raise the "dead" person from scratch.

mr.smiley
I've seen a few NDE and out of body experinces that are pretty hard to explain.I know one hostpital puts words above their beds just to see if people claiming out of body experinces will see the word.To this day no one that has had an out of body experince has seen this wordsl.However,one woman had the out of body experince while in surgey and told the story of the whole operation from out of her body.
I think with NDE we need to find out how the phenomonon (? spell check!) effects people world wide.If people in China are seeing Jesus and the devil or at least seeing something close to what most the western world sees,their might be something to it.However,if their seeing religous images from their own culture it might a cultural thing.

Endless ranting I make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dark1365
Yeah I read that article too. On Reader's Digest.

Tex
People see Jesus and they say he looks exactly like his pictures. Problem is no one knows what the real Jesus looked like.

The real Jesus would not look like the Jesus in your illustrated bible. Hence you're not seeing the real Jesus.

Out of body experiences are fairly common. Majority of the times they're not even related to near death experiences. People wake up and the feel that they're glued head first onto the ceiling. They can zoom in on objects and see things completely out of their field of vision. It's really freaky and unexplained. But again, usually not related to NDE's.

NDE's can trigger out of body experiences which is why many people believe out of body experiences/near death experiences are results of a hay wiring brain. wacko

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Tex
What preposterous ridiculousness! To suggest that someone who has been clinically brain dead for longer than a day would wake up with out suffering any serious brain damage is extremely laughable!

What these scientists are doing is completely new. They will scientifically kill you for several hours and ensure that the brain is actually dead. Not near death but dead.

People have NDE's while brain dead

Those are just opinions..not facts. Very speculative ones at that. Anyway..they still don't explain why people of different cultures/backgrounds experience the same types of visions.

Tex
laughing out loud That's your scientific proof?
Shameless stunt to sell more Pam Reynolds CD's. roll eyes (sarcastic)

A dying brain is likely to die the same way in everyone. Meaning that most people will experience similar perceptions accompanied by individually unique images.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Tex
People see Jesus and they say he looks exactly like his pictures. Problem is no one knows what the real Jesus looked like.

The real Jesus would not look like the Jesus in your illustrated bible. Hence you're not seeing the real Jesus.

I think the after life is really different than anyone could imagine. Just like was stated that people see a illustrated picture of Jesus, others see what their faith is. People see angels, people they know, and people have reported seeing a multitude of things. I read about a boy that saw an animal heaven..I think the after life is dimensional..and having unlimited power of our creative mind and our spirit/essence/energy..we can created what we want to see and experience..we can enter into any type dimension we want...It would be the ultimate playground.

Anyway..that's my view on it.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Tex
lol: That's your scientific proof?

Hypothermic Cardiac Arrest..or "suspended animation" is nothing new. The scientests mentioned in your initial post incorporatated essentially the same procedure with the dogs that was used on Ms. Reynolds and on many others. Those put in "suspended animation" are never deemed to be completely dead, but instead...near dead.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Tex
laughing out loud That's your scientific proof?

A dying brain is likely to die the same way in everyone. Meaning that most people will experience similar perceptions accompanied by individually unique images.

well according to the Science of Good and Evil by Michael Shermer their are over 6 million (or biliion) different brain types based on genetics,lifestlyle,etc.All of this effects are thought process.But with all the different brain types,it's pretty amazing NDE is as common as it is.The same with Deja vu.

debbiejo
It was also documented by the early Greeks and Middle ages amongst others.

mr.smiley
Yeah.Didn't Plato have the first ever recorded NDE?

debbiejo
Don't know, but there were quite a few documented..maybe even earlier..can't remember.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.