Church & State Supreme Court Ruling

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bilb
June 27, 2005

Commandments Barred at Courts but Not on Government Land

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday upheld the constitutionality of displaying the Ten Commandments on government land, but drew the line on displays inside courthouses, saying they violated the doctrine of separation of church and state.

Sending dual signals in closely-watched cases, the high court said displays of the Ten Commandments -- like their own courtroom frieze -- are not inherently unconstitutional. But each exhibit demands scrutiny to determine whether it goes too far in amounting to a governmental promotin of religion, the court said in a case involving Kentucky courthouse exhibits.

In that 5-4 ruling and another ruling, involving the positioning of a 6-foot granite monument of the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the Texas capitol, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor was the swing vote. The second ruling, likewise, was 5-4.

In a stinging dissent to the ruling involving Kentucky's courthouse exhibits, Justice Antonin Scalia declared: "What distinguishes the rule of law from the dictatorship of a shifting Supreme Court majority is the absolutely indispensable requirement that judicial opinions be grounded in consistently applied principle."

The justices voting on the prevailing side in the Kentucky case left themselves legal wiggle room, saying that some displays inside courthouses -- like their own courtroom frieze -- would be permissible if they're portrayed neutrally in order to honor the nation's legal history.

But framed copies in two Kentucky courthouses went too far in endorsing religion, the court held. Those courthouse displays are unconstitutional, the justices said, because their religious content is overemphasized.

In contrast, a 6-foot-granite monument on the grounds of the Texas Capitol -- one of 17 historical displays on the 22-acre lot -- was determined to be a legitimate tribute to the nation's legal and religious history.

"Of course, the Ten Commandments are religious -- they were so viewed at their inception and so remain. The monument therefore has religious significance," Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote for the majority in the case involving the display outside the state capitol of Texas.

"Simply having religious content or promoting a message consistent with a religious doctrine does not run afoul of the Establishment clause," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so basically NOONE has the guts to say one way or the other?? Good Grief .. why do they even bother to have hearings?

PVS
welcome to the united states of jesusland

KharmaDog
"Jesusland"?! eek!

I'm first in line for the Holy Coaster of Redemption and the Spinning Carousel of Sin!

bilb
I would rather they make a stand in what is totally oppositte from what I believe than this wimpy ass crap.. oh sometimes legal sometimes not.. WTF?? At least Bush is consistent.. you know he is gonna misspeak, use made up words & make up foreign policy as he goes.. but this stupid decision.. decicion (SUCH an oxymoron in this case) is pathetic..

Capt_Fantastic
I'm not up on every detail as I have been on and off the net all day, but I think I can agree with the rulings. The decisions that effect Texas are no real suprise(GW's home state) Those public displays were going on with other religious displays. That's all fine and good. But the ones in Kentucky were simply in your face..this is what we believe here..type stuff. There's no reason that anyone should have to walk into a court in this country and have to fear an impartial ruling based on religious beliefs.

However, I did hear one reporter talking about how this was a continuation of "the policy of public degredation of morality". (It's that damn liberal media again) Nothing could be further from the truth. And before someone comes into this thread and spews their nonsense about how this is an indication of the eroding of morality in this country...that's total bullshit. Morality and religion are not one and the same.

bilb
Ijust cant get over the total ambiguity of it all

alcoholicpoet
I agree with capt fantastic, the Texas thing was merely a sort of mini museum of Texan history, most Texans are christian though so I suppose the populace should have no problem with it.

MC Mike
Let's place a 6-foot statue of the Quran right next to it, and the Torah to the other side eh? stick out tongue

Or just none. no expression

Oswald Kenobi
Originally posted by MC Mike
Let's place a 6-foot statue of the Quran right next to it, and the Torah to the other side eh? stick out tongue

Or just none. no expression

Damn! You should be a Supreme Court justice. Now why couldn't the court system come to that conclusion?

bilb
laughing

MC Mike
Originally posted by Oswald Kenobi
Damn! You should be a Supreme Court justice. Now why couldn't the court system come to that conclusion?

Because it's almost as bad as the presidency, which if you do a little reasearch has never had a non-white, non-christian, or non-male in office. eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.