First Person Vs. Third Person.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Moritsune
In My Opinion I Prefer FP. They Offer More Maneuverabilty (Typo, I Know It) With The Camera, Wherea's A FP RPG Is Just... It's... It's Insane!!! It's Not Right!!! However I Did Not Mind Wizardy (PS2). Still, It's Against The Holy Law Of Gaming!

WAF3001
In a way 1st and 3rd person versions for gaming are both examples of 2nd person. Think about it like a book. 1st person is told by someone in the story. 3rd person is told by some narrator who has nothing to do with the story. 2nd person however is when the book tells YOU to do something. To do this turn to page whatever. I believe R.L.Stine made some books like this but anyways, All games are second person!

Moritsune
Yes, I See Your Point. But What I Mean Here Is The View From The Person Your Controlling, Or The Camera Behind The Character. Sorry For The Little Mishap big grin

WAF3001
I prefer third and thought the lesson was pretty fun (although nerdish)

CorderaMitchell
first............

pr1983
For certain games both are great...

im still waiting for a fp football sim...

2Tidus!
Third when you look from the back. I just like to see the graphics of my charachter. What his doing and stuff.

CorderaMitchell
In games like sonic and such of course, but games like shooters, and sports no.

2Tidus!
Even in shooters I still like to play Third Person. Such as Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Doom, Splinter Cell.

CorderaMitchell
It depends, Splinter Cell yes, but games like rainbow six and Timesplitters not quite.

Zen2nd
The views only apply to the game being played. I prefer 3rd person as you actually get a bigger view of your surroundings, but less close up detail. Which brings Splinter Cell Chaos Theory into play. Good guys have better view of area as they are in 3rd person wheras the bad guys only have 1st person and only see what the look at in front of them.

CorderaMitchell
It depends on the game, third person can be a hindrance in quick shooter games, that aren't based on long type strategy......... timesplitters comes to mind...........

pr1983
games like star wars battlefront i use 3rd person...

CorderaMitchell
games like, timesplitters or precision shooting earn a first place.

LeAtHerRFace
I prefer FPS.

SaTsuJiN
I actually prefer the option to have both.. certain situations require a lil bit of both

CorderaMitchell
Just depends.

jrodslam
I also use 3rd person for Stawars Batlefront. For AVP 2, theres 1st person.

It all depends on the game.

CorderaMitchell
Duke Nukem was better in first person definitely.

Lord-of-Dreams
Originally posted by Zen2nd
The views only apply to the game being played. I prefer 3rd person as you actually get a bigger view of your surroundings, but less close up detail. Which brings Splinter Cell Chaos Theory into play. Good guys have better view of area as they are in 3rd person wheras the bad guys only have 1st person and only see what the look at in front of them.
Put the words right into my mouth!! er... I mean... took them out...

Goldeneye was the ultimate first person game. It should be remade, keep everything but the graphics. That would be sweet!!
Mario (first game that came to mind) was a good third person.

It all depends on what you want. I find that in fantasy games - mario, god of war, MK...- I like to see the characters do the stuff. Like in a book I prefer to read about the actions. I like to see the cool moves. See?
In FP, I already know wats going on- shooters, mostly- so it's nothing missed. I already know what it looks like to shoot the gun, so I don't care.Do you video tape yourself brushing your teeth to see what it looks like? No. Why? cause it's boring to watch. Why? Cause you know what t looks like already. (and it's just plane boring...)

So it all depends on what you prefer. I like the fantasy, pulling of crazy combos to kill 100 guys at once or doing the long string combos in MK. I like to see it happen and be satisfied with myself, I think thats a large part of the point of 3rd Person.
In Goldeneye (yes, I haven't sold my 64 yet. Shut up, you dirty bastards), I always smile when I see my brother's guy hit the ground. Thats the fun part.
yep... my 200 cents...

CorderaMitchell
yeaaaaaaaaaaa, ok.

Lord-of-Dreams
??? want to elaborate, CM?

CorderaMitchell
No I understand fine, you just post in such a , schizophrenic way. stick out tongue

dvampire
3rd Person. I just don't like a big gun in front of the screen, and not being able to see my character.

CorderaMitchell
I love it especailly with more serious games.

Lord-of-Dreams
Originally posted by CorderaMitchell
No I understand fine, you just post in such a , schizophrenic way. stick out tongue
umm.. I'm... in...sult...ed??? Hmm... thanks? hmm... what do you mean, homey?

I actually find third a lot easier to use.

CorderaMitchell
No you weren't insulted, who would dare do that?

SaTsuJiN
I guess I like first... but moreso, I like 3rd because I get to see my character while I'm fighting

Lord-of-Dreams
Anyone know any first person fantasy thingy games or third person shooters that aren't complete crap?

CorderaMitchell
There are some good third person shooters, but for first person fantasy thats probably on PC.

Lord-of-Dreams
such as...

CorderaMitchell
Would twisted metal black count, because its one of the best damned games of all time!

Lord-of-Dreams
Know what would be funny? Do ya? Well? Well? Well? No? Ok!

A first person sport game. First person soccer!! LOL Do those exist? Are they good? Or a firs person fighter would just be plain stupid. lol thoughts?

CorderaMitchell
Yea those would suck, but twisted metal black fu#$ing rules.

SaTsuJiN
a first person soccer wouldnt suck that bad if it was 1 real person per character (i.e. no need for switching)

Lord-of-Dreams
no... there could never be a good 1stperson soccer....
wait... what do youmean? lol

CorderaMitchell
It wouldn't be effective as you would need to see from all sides, and the only view good enough for that, is god view.

Same with fighting games.

wity17189
I find that 3rd person games are quite helpful in fps games because it allows you to see around corners. I personally like 1st person view because it makes me feel as though I am the character. Plus, the reticules are pretty cool

DaRk Lotus
well I play fighting games so...I picked 3rd

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by CorderaMitchell
It wouldn't be effective as you would need to see from all sides, and the only view good enough for that, is god view.

Same with fighting games. you kinda could if it was Motion capture or VR headset where you could turn your view on demand

Onikirimaru
I like the accuracy of first person instead of the perception of third person, especially in shooters. I just cant seem to get into a 3rd person shooter, because it seems like Im always trying to aim "down" over the shoulder of my character, and it doesnt seem natural. In a game like Battlefront I always use 1st person because being able to cap any enemy outweights being able to see a little bit more on the sides. Im fairly good at keeping track of my surroundings, so if someone is going to sneak up on me, it isnt going to be in the "blindspot" on the left and right flanks in first person.

And I like first person for other games too because you can see the detail really well. Like Fable for Xbox. Beatiful game, but with no first person I can really see everything as well as I want (unless i want to whip out my bow, which besides being a pain to whip it out everytime i want to look at something it that tends to make people mad at me)

A good fp fantasy game is Morrowind. You can also switch to third person in that game as well. Mainly its for veiwing the detailed and immersive enviroment however, since the combat is a bit boring.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.