Why do you like the X-men?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
Did a search.Found nothing.

Just wondering what makes everyone like the X men.For me it's the Characters.I can relate to pretty much all of them.

Going-Rouge
I like the fact that everyone hates them and yet tehy still fight the good fight, I kinda makes me feel...ya know....not so alone...ya know!

pr1983
Originally posted by Going-Rouge
I like the fact that everyone hates them and yet tehy still fight the good fight, I kinda makes me feel...ya know....not so alone...ya know!

Yeah, totally agree...

The main reasons i like em are:

They're vulnerable... for all their powers a stray bullet can finish them off...

The fact that they're all contradictions...

Xaviers mind is the most powerful mind on the planet, yet his body is frail...

Cyclops' eyes are a powerful weapon, yet he can never truly see Jean or Emma properly...

Colossus has a hard outer shell, but is such a vulnerable guy... remember when kitty broke his heart?

And finally...

In all the media there is only one character that i have ever truly identified with... you know who... stick out tongue

Going-Rouge
Um......Squinty? (cyclops)
I Identify with Rogue............I can't really can't feel anything, otherwise I'll hurt people, and a lot people are afriad of me.........................It's a painful life

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by pr1983
Yeah, totally agree...

The main reasons i like em are:

They're vulnerable... for all their powers a stray bullet can finish them off...

The fact that they're all contradictions...

Xaviers mind is the most powerful mind on the planet, yet his body is frail...

Cyclops' eyes are a powerful weapon, yet he can never truly see Jean or Emma properly...

Colossus has a hard outer shell, but is such a vulnerable guy... remember when kitty broke his heart?

And finally...

In all the media there is only one character that i have ever truly identified with... you know who... stick out tongue

Totally agree. At the end of the day they're intrinsically human despite all their powers. The have flaws, frailties, foibles. The gift of power is always also a curse, either directly like Cyke, Rogue or indirectly by making them outcasts as mutants.

pr1983
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Totally agree. At the end of the day they're intrinsically human despite all their powers. The have flaws, frailties, foibles. The gift of power is always also a curse, either directly like Cyke, Rogue or indirectly by making them outcasts as mutants.

yep...

Nevermind
Because they have powers and fight? erm

ayjay
Hi, my name is Ayjay. And I like the X-men ^__^ (wait, this isn't x-men lovers anonymous?..oo00 woops..ANYhoo)

At first i wasn;t a HUGE x-men fan, i was more of a spidey fanatic. But I've grown to love them ^__^, thnx to this forum *woot woot* and i think it's for the same sorta reasons like liked spidey, I find that they the most 'human' comiccharacters, who are also intriguing. Crazy ass powers for some action, prejudices to grab the attention of my moral side, and just heaps and heaps different aspects of life shown through alot of different characters....o0 o0!!...and the hot x-women!...umm...and yeah, i could imagin a world of mutants, and it's probably pretty close to x-men...only without the whole cosmic forces and space time dimension travelling and such ^__^...umm..yeah, if i think of more stuff i'll post it

*BRING BAK DA BAMF! ^__^

willRules
I think the xmen are cool because of the irony of the fact that they are outcasts, they fight for those who fear and hate them, they are hated even though they could improve everyones way of living and the fact that at the end of the day there is no difference between them or the next human.

ayjay
Originally posted by willRules
at the end of the day there is no difference between them or the next human.

except for the whole superhuman thing ^__^.....but yeaah, i agreee

buffymitch
I love X-men coz they are discriminated against for actually being born. there is so much of that going on in the world.

Phoenix_Avatar9
Originally posted by buffymitch
I love X-men coz they are discriminated against for actually being born. there is so much of that going on in the world.

Yeah, it's a great analogy for racism and prejudice that happens in the world and how some people rise above it and others exact vengeance on those who did them injustice.

munkiesarus
I love the drama.

xmarksthespot
X-Men has a lot more thematic subtext to it than a lot of comics, and the characters are all fleshed out pretty well. They all have rich histories that have made them who they are. You can empathise with characters good or bad because you know the reasons behind what they're doing.

Emtrexx
I have never really liked this discrimination / prejudice-thing and all the moral input in the story. It's the awesome powers that got me hooked smile Storm casting lightnings, Rogue throwing cars and Colossus breaking trough walls. And then all the telepathy / telekinesis thing - It's was just fantastic back then!
Now I like them because they have grown to something like a family to me. And I want to know what's happening to them, that's all smile

The first X-Men story I've ever read was the Dark Phoenix Saga. I haven't ever seen or read anything that cool before. It made me an X-Men fan instantly. I loved Jean Grey, and then Madelyne Pryor. And Rogue was very lovely to me when she had the Carol Danvers persona (I don't like her that much since she get rid of her).

Recently, my favorit character was X-Man (Nate Grey) because of his great power and innocence.
(It's sad that all of my favorits (X-Man, Jean, Madelyne) are dead now sad )

I keep collecting X-Men comics mainly because of them.

happy4Lclover
i like the xmen because its simply fun...its creative,,something you can relate to and something that feeds your imagination of the future human life!!!
i personally love it...maybe its because its creativity parallels to that of japanese animation...for example, "Blue Submarine 006".....everyone should watch that..and then they'll know what i'm talking about...this movie has the same beautiful effects, characters,and an amazing worldly idea of the future..........

happy4Lclover
Happy Dance Happy Dance bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny

Lady_Jade
I like the whole idea of having powers. I like how every character has their own story and they are unique. Personally, if it weren't for Storm I don't know if I would be a fan of X-Men today. She got me into the series and she is my absolute favourite character in the world. Without her, I probably wouldn't even know who the X-Men were.

LISA-J
I like them cause at some time in all our lives we've felt like outcasts-and you can just relate to them.Plus the guys are hot and the actions cool lol.

countryfan2004
Well, what first caught my eye was the pretty pictures....i never really actually read the comic when i was little...i bought them for the pictures. Now, I read them, and I'm still hooked because they still are hated. They are the Jews, the high school nerds and freaks, the blacks, the gays, the mentally challenged. They are everything society ridicules because they simply fear them. We're all really the same, whether we're mutants or not. There's at least one X-Man for everyone to relate to. Lord knows there's enough of them to. There's even Polaris who has bipolar disorder and M who has autism. The X-Men have everyday problems too. To me, all this is the X-Men and what it stands for. Superman and Wonder Woman...I odn't get it. They protect a planet they're not even from.

blaise
I started liking them when i was like 10 years old and would wake up early morning on a saturday to watch the 90's cartoon... and dont' tell me none of u guys have done that....

it brings back childhood memories....yup...and thats when we actually had some good cartoons. yupsmile

metalmikey
i like the x men because its hows alot of spcieties problems that we have today..the racism around the country and the world ...humans hateing mutants...muslims hateing christians ....it seems to me that the creators of x men had an inside look at what was about to happen in this world...the xmen they go out and they fight thier battles for not even a glimmer of hope but yet they do it because haviong he powers they..well..its almost like thier duty to use those powers for good..the premis of the x men is much like whats going on in the real world..oh and i have fantasies about rogue... wink

wannabe
Personally I HATE THAT WHOLE "We are outcast mutants, nobody loves us!"-S**T, it's pathetic!!! mad

I mean, women, black people, homosexuals etc. have been oppressed, enslaved and killed for CENTURIES and are still discriminated just for their sex, skincolor and/or sexuality!
Mutants have pretty dangerous and very often deadly powers and exist openly for how long now...60 years?
They are constantly complaining and standing on the brink of giving up the fight for acceptance...after only 60 years...while normal humans have a real reason to fear them, not just something like skincolordifferences???!!!
As a half african/half european gay who has to experience discrimination every day, i feel personally offended by such whimpyness.
yes

I love the X-Men because of the mainly interesting and multidimensional characters and cool abilities, though i prefer those with rather "moderate" powers (Nightcrawler, Mystique, Icarus...).
smile

Phoenix_Avatar9
I love the X-Men because it lets you escape into a world where extraordinary things happen, though since most of it is backed up by scientific research could possibly happen, and especially the things these people have to deal with and how they handle it is just a spectacle to watch. It is a whole lot easier to relate to them than it is Superman and the whole lot of DC heroes because while some of them are flying around in spandex, they don't face oppression or mass genocide as mutants do

Disappear
when was the last time there were stories-tall robots designed to kill gays? not to demean the struggle that oppressed minorities have gone through in our history, but in the marvel universe mutants have overtaken every other minority in terms of hatred against. and issues such as homophobia and racism have been addressed within a mutant and non-mutant context through the comics, so it's not as if the topics are being entirely avoided. also, it's a comic book, try to take it a bit more lightly.

i, personally, find the everyman appeal of mutants, as opposed to other superhero books, very attractive. also, the way so many characters with the same affliction change so differently depending on mutation and the reaction of their environment is appealing as well. my favorite mutants are the more relatable types, such as forge and multiple man, as opposed to the heroes of incredible proportions, such as cable or phoenix.

wannabe
Originally posted by Disappear
when was the last time there were stories-tall robots designed to kill gays? not to demean the struggle that oppressed minorities have gone through in our history, but in the marvel universe mutants have overtaken every other minority in terms of hatred against. and issues such as homophobia and racism have been addressed within a mutant and non-mutant context through the comics, so it's not as if the topics are being entirely avoided. also, it's a comic book, try to take it a bit more lightly.

Well i certainly can't remember GIANT ROBOTS killing gays, but i do remember having heard of that small insane austrian man trying to take over the world between '39 and '45, who ordered to incinerate millions of jews, gays, handicapped persons etc. in GIANT CONCENTRATION CAMPS!
I'm not demanding more emphasis on the gay or racism theme. Just trying to say, that the authors should try to be a little more convincing and less superficial when using the struggle of ANY minority in their stories...or leave it be!
The X-Men are constantly argueing and crying over the fact that the humans fear and don't accept them.
What did they do to gain the desired trust in mutants as a race...that the majority of common humans knows about??? Saving the universe in FAR SPACE? Fighting demons in OTHER DIMENSIONS? Correcting timelines in the PAST or FUTURE? Fighting enemies who TARGET ONLY THEM while causing general destuction? Preventing major destruction caused by OTHER MUTANTS and then letting them escape? I could go on with this!
In ultimate they at least tried to use their powers for the VISUAL good of the world... the elementals helping farmers, the telepaths helping doctors, the powerhouses helping in desaster management etc.! Combined with a good public relations they might even have a real chance of achieving their goal and wouldn't feel the constant need to lament over not making any progress!

Originally posted by Disappear i, personally, find the everyman appeal of mutants, as opposed to other superhero books, very attractive. also, the way so many characters with the same affliction change so differently depending on mutation and the reaction of their environment is appealing as well. my favorite mutants are the more relatable types, such as forge and multiple man, as opposed to the heroes of incredible proportions, such as cable or phoenix.

In this case we have exactly the same taste! smile

Disappear
and nazis are another issue addressed in the comics, in and out of magneto's origin story.

everyone who's ever said '...a world that fears and hates us...' is referring to the blind hatred humans cast onto mutants, simply because they're genetically different. yes, there are bad mutants out there who've done bad things. but there are bad magicians, dieties, irradiated villains and all other varieties of superhumans, but mutants are the ones getting the shit end of the stick. they don't say '...a world that fears and hates us after all we've done to prove ourselves,' because, though the x-men as a team are widely known as a mutant organization, there is little of their exploits known to the common man. they're simply speaking from a universal standpoint, where humans hate mutants simply for being mutants.

it's essentially the same hate-basis as when people discriminate against gays or minorities, but comics can't go around yelling 'queer' and 'spear-chucker' to get their message of society's inherent inequalities across. mutants is the best they've got.

as for our tastes, i find that we're in the large minority of comic fans. i know a lot of people like superhero stories because they're larger than life and something unseen and unknown in the real world, but still. i can't get interested in characters based entirely around their superheroism, like cable or bishop. but i suppose that's the part of me that prefers the 'everyman' aspect of mutants to the uber-adventurous aspect of the blue and gold.

wannabe
and nazis are another issue addressed in the comics, in and out of magneto's origin story.

everyone who's ever said '...a world that fears and hates us...' is referring to the blind hatred humans cast onto mutants, simply because they're genetically different. yes, there are bad mutants out there who've done bad things. but there are bad magicians, dieties, irradiated villains and all other varieties of superhumans, but mutants are the ones getting the shit end of the stick. they don't say '...a world that fears and hates us after all we've done to prove ourselves,' because, though the x-men as a team are widely known as a mutant organization, there is little of their exploits known to the common man. they're simply speaking from a universal standpoint, where humans hate mutants simply for being mutants.

it's essentially the same hate-basis as when people discriminate against gays or minorities, but comics can't go around yelling 'queer' and 'spear-chucker' to get their message of society's inherent inequalities across. mutants is the best they've got.

I know what you mean. I simply can't stand the X-Mans nearly constant lament about an admittedly stupid "human habitude" expressed towards them without doing anything USEFUL to change it...EVEN THOUGH they easely could!!!

as for our tastes, i find that we're in the large minority of comic fans. i know a lot of people like superhero stories because they're larger than life and something unseen and unknown in the real world, but still. i can't get interested in characters based entirely around their superheroism, like cable or bishop. but i suppose that's the part of me that prefers the 'everyman' aspect of mutants to the uber-adventurous aspect of the blue and gold.

Strange, isn't it?
Most fans really seem to have more interest in the characters getting more and more powerful and the stories getting more and more puffed-up, instead of interesting personality- and story developement!
no

megaroguefan
i don't know exactly why..but rogue is one of the reasons smile smile smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.