Richard Dragon vs Bronze Tiger

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

joesha28
I've heard both are in the DCU top five best martial artist. All out Hand 2 hand combat in a ring.

your say!!!

joesha28
hello

Wanderer259
I don't know too much about either, but I'm going to go with Dragon. He's the guy Shiva 'looks up to' you could say.

joesha28
some say Bronze Tiger is equal to batman in martial arts h2h, some say Bronze Tiger better. Both BT and Richard Dragon trained under O-sensei.

joesha28
looks like both this contestants don't have much fanboys ah? This tread gonna die.

Warrior18
Not if I can help it! Bump.

spetznaz
To be honest with you, if you read the Richard Dragon mini-series (a VERY good mini-series, and if it was a stock I would recommend it as a definite buy) you will realize that Dragon is better.

Both of them are in it, and Dragon starts off as a student in a dojo owned and managed by Tiger. He is raised up to be hard and tough, and goes to win tournaments and what not (where he first meets a young Lady Shiva, the first of many meetings between the two). To cut a long story short, and without spoilers, there is a falling out between Dragon and Tiger, and Tiger catches up with him years later where Dragon is fighting skilled fighters in a pit tournament ....with those fighters having knives ....and Dragon being blindfolded.

Some words are exchanged, and it is inferred that Dragon could take Tiger, and do so without much difficulty.

Anyways, the series continues, showing how Dragon trained many people (including a certain man called Bruce Wayne, as well as several of his proteges), encounters with the League of Assassins, meet ups with Connor Hawke, and obviously how he was close with Shiva (including how both can use the leopard strike ....when you drive your fingers through someone's skull into their brain).

The finale is a fight for the no.1 martial artist title, with all sorts of DC martial arts luminaries (ranging from the monkey cult to all sorts of folk), until at last it is between Shiva and Dragon.

I will not say who wins, but it was a great fight.

Anyways ...back to topic ...Richard Dragon would defeat his former teacher.

(And just in case you are wondering, in a hand to hand fight he would beat up Batman as well).

The top-3 in DC are Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, and Cassandra (Batgirl) .....they alternate in who is no. 1, but those are the top (you can consider all of them as being number 1 at the same time, with one or two being better than the other depending on depiction).

Obviously there are people who are better (e.g. Karate Kid, who is the best ....but his level is so high that including him is unfair), and there are others who are good enough to be a challenge to the Top 3 (e.g. people like Mad Dog) .....but the top 'nomal' three are Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva and Cassandra (in any order ....consider all of them to be simultaneously in the top 3).

Bronze Tiger is not in the top 3, but he is easily in the top 10. He is also crazy good.

However, by the time they were splitting ways, Richard Dragon was already better than Tiger. By the end of the series, Tiger was not even in the tournament of martial artists, and in that tournament only one person faced off against Shiva.

Dragon.

The way I look at him is that he is the Shang Chi of DC (and no, do not ask who can win .....in my opinion they are perfectly equal, with equal skill levels and equal feat levels. The only way person A would say Shang Chi wins, or person B say Richard Dragon wins, is if person A is a fanboy of Marvel and person B a fanboy of DC. They are equal).

Starscream M
Originally posted by spetznaz

The top-3 in DC are Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, and Cassandra (Batgirl) .....they alternate in who is no. 1, but those are the top (you can consider all of them as being number 1 at the same time, with one or two being better than the other depending on depiction).
How can you not include Bruce when he clearly is superior to or stalemates Shiva?

spetznaz
Originally posted by Starscream M
How can you not include Bruce when he clearly is superior to or stalemates Shiva?

Easy answer: because I read DC comics.

If you did the same you would not have asked that question (although I guess it is to be expected, since just yesterday you were saying that the Punisher, with a sword and dagger, can defeat Wildcat in hand to hand combat).

You saying that Bruce is 'clearly superior or stalemates Shiva' just proves what I said on the other thread ....the results of relying on wikipedia entries (or for the slightly more advanced noob looking at stand-alone scans) are quite evident.

Have a nice day.

xmarksthespot
That made me lulz.

Starscream M
Easy answer: because I read DC comics.

If you did the same you would not have asked that question (although I guess it is to be expected, since just yesterday you were saying that the Punisher, with a sword and dagger, can defeat Wildcat in hand to hand combat).

You saying that Bruce is 'clearly superior or stalemates Shiva' just proves what I said on the other thread ....the results of relying on wikipedia entries (or for the slightly more advanced noob looking at stand-alone scans) are quite evident.

Have a nice day. too bad in comics bruce either beat or stalemates Shiva, not the other way around

Juntai
No way does Punisher beat Wildcat in any type of melee brawl.

xmarksthespot
This should be interesting.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Juntai
No way does Punisher beat Wildcat in any type of melee brawl. Punisher was given a sword AND a dagger...that gives him huge range advantage that closes the gap in skill and makes him much more deadly

but still I never gave Punisher majority, just one or two wins

Soljer
Dragon wins, in my opinion.

Bruce can beat Shiva.

Wildcat kills the Punisher.

Juntai
too bad in comics bruce either beat or stalemates Shiva, not the other way around He's also had Batgirl defeated, and held back what could have been a killing blow. Should he have wanted to execute the manuever. She froze like a deer in headlights and he stopped from finishing.

And Batgirl has defeated Shiva more than once.

And iirc, Batman fought Dragon to a standstill.

spetznaz
Punisher was given a sword AND a dagger...that gives him huge range advantage that closes the gap in skill and makes him much more deadly

but still I never gave Punisher majority, just one or two wins

Once again, a sword and dagger would not assist the Punisher in any way against someone like Wildcat.

It is the same as saying that giving Nick Fury a sword and dagger would make him be able to defeat Shang Chi in hand to hand combat.

Sheer and utter stupidity.

Starscream M
Once again, a sword and dagger would not assist the Punisher in any way against someone like Wildcat.

It is the same as saying that giving Nick Fury a sword and dagger would make him be able to defeat Shang Chi in hand to hand combat.

Sheer and utter stupidity. resorting to insults is rather unbecoming

wildcat is a boxer...the analogy to shang chi isn't very fitting

but anyways, this isn't punisher vs wildcat, so stay ontopic

Juntai
Wildcat is severely under-rated a lot. He's one of the top MA's too, and alongside Shiva and Dragon, was one of Bruce Wayne's teachers.

xmarksthespot
Dragon wins.

Shiva can beat Bruce too. And imo, the fights between Batgirl and Shiva have been far more impressive.

Wildcat kills the Punisher.

joesha28
To be honest with you, if you read the Richard Dragon mini-series (a VERY good mini-series, and if it was a stock I would recommend it as a definite buy) you will realize that Dragon is better.

Both of them are in it, and Dragon starts off as a student in a dojo owned and managed by Tiger. He is raised up to be hard and tough, and goes to win tournaments and what not (where he first meets a young Lady Shiva, the first of many meetings between the two). To cut a long story short, and without spoilers, there is a falling out between Dragon and Tiger, and Tiger catches up with him years later where Dragon is fighting skilled fighters in a pit tournament ....with those fighters having knives ....and Dragon being blindfolded.

Some words are exchanged, and it is inferred that Dragon could take Tiger, and do so without much difficulty.

Anyways, the series continues, showing how Dragon trained many people (including a certain man called Bruce Wayne, as well as several of his proteges), encounters with the League of Assassins, meet ups with Connor Hawke, and obviously how he was close with Shiva (including how both can use the leopard strike ....when you drive your fingers through someone's skull into their brain).

The finale is a fight for the no.1 martial artist title, with all sorts of DC martial arts luminaries (ranging from the monkey cult to all sorts of folk), until at last it is between Shiva and Dragon.

(And just in case you are wondering, in a hand to hand fight he would beat up Batman as well).

Obviously there are people who are better (e.g. Karate Kid, who is the best ....but his level is so high that including him is unfair), and there are others who are good enough to be a challenge to the Top 3 (e.g. people like Mad Dog) .....but the top 'nomal' three are Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva and Cassandra (in any order ....consider all of them to be simultaneously in the top 3).

Bronze Tiger is not in the top 3, but he is easily in the top 10. He is also crazy good.

However, by the time they were splitting ways, Richard Dragon was already better than Tiger. By the end of the series, Tiger was not even in the tournament of martial artists, and in that tournament only one person faced off against Shiva.

Dragon.

The way I look at him is that he is the Shang Chi of DC (and no, do not ask who can win .....in my opinion they are perfectly equal, with equal skill levels and equal feat levels. The only way person A would say Shang Chi wins, or person B say Richard Dragon wins, is if person A is a fanboy of Marvel and person B a fanboy of DC. They are equal).

I followed the Scans on the net and I saw a tie between Tiger and Dragon.

srankmissingnin
In current continuity Dragon hasn't done much more than train Renee/Huntress/Oracle, hang around Nanda Parbat, and briefly help Dinah fight the Twelve Brothers in Silk. Chuck Dixon's run may or may not be canon, so I would hesitate to use it as the foundation of an argument, and it is really the only time we've seen any note worthy feats from Dragon since the original Crisis. I'd give Ben the edge purely because he has a more active resume and Richard Dragon prowess is largely theoretical right now. If we count Pre Crisis continuity like the original Richard Dragon Kung-Fu Fighter, then he should take the slight majority.

Prep-Man
toss up.

joesha28
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
In current continuity Dragon hasn't done much more than train Renee/Huntress/Oracle, hang around Nanda Parbat, and briefly help Dinah fight the Twelve Brothers in Silk. Chuck Dixon's run may or may not be canon, so I would hesitate to use it as the foundation of an argument, and it is really the only time we've seen any note worthy feats from Dragon since the original Crisis. I'd give Ben the edge purely because he has a more active resume and Richard Dragon prowess is largely theoretical right now. If we count Pre Crisis continuity like the original Richard Dragon Kung-Fu Fighter, then he should take the slight majority. [/QUOTE

A very good take, but in the classic series Tiger tied with Dragon in a fight.

Daredevil1
RD 6/10

joesha28

Dragon.

The way I look at him is that he is the Shang Chi of DC (and no, do not ask who can win .....in my opinion they are perfectly equal, with equal skill levels and equal feat levels. The only way person A would say Shang Chi wins, or person B say Richard Dragon wins, is if person A is a fanboy of Marvel and person B a fanboy of DC. They are equal). I have seen the scans of the Dragon vs BT fight. I would not give Richard dragon the win. He was doing well till Ben took the punishment and gave some. Richard's vision became blur (ko?) after Bronze Tiger's punch and Richard saw the man he killed in the fight and accepted tiger's call. Richard had more shots and drew more blood, but BT was more effective.

joesha28
Dixon's Bronze Tiger started to get the upper hand in the fight. Scan you won't see in the pro-dragon debates.

joesha28
According to UFC rules, disorientation is considered as KO. Richard Dragon was disorientated after Bronze Tiger 3rd hit. And the fight was over

joesha28
seeing the facts, Richard Dragon has never had a flat out scan that he has beaten Bronze Tiger. Pre crisis fight was a tie, recon fight goes to Tiger.

beatboks
resorting to insults is rather unbecoming

wildcat is a boxer...the analogy to shang chi isn't very fitting

but anyways, this isn't punisher vs wildcat, so stay ontopic

Wild cat is a boxer who is also a master of
1. Krav Maga
2. Muay Thai
3. Hapkaido
4. Capoeira

As was stated try actually reading a comic about a character before you statements this far off the mark. Ted Grant taught several DCU characters how to use those styles, batman Just happens to be one (Black canary another)

Bruce hasn't beaten Shiva in a comic and in fact has stated to Dick Grayson that he couldn't. This was also why he went to Shiva to train him to get back into shape after Bane broke his back (he needed the edge ONLY she could give him to get back on top).

The problem with trying to rank Dragon and Turner is that most of Dragon's best feats are pre COIE and questionably canon. he's only appeared in a couple of series since and hasn't done that much. pre COIE there isn't a doubt that Dragon is 1 (this is of course excluding O-Senei himself who was the master pre COIE of Dragon, Broinze tiger, Batman AND Shiva - who Clearly would have to be the numbero uno martial artist in DCU in the pre COIe era)and Bruce and Turner tie after that Shiva was after the two of them.

Post COIE I just don't see it that easy to rank.

joesha28
Originally posted by beatboks
Wild cat is a boxer who is also a master of
1. Krav Maga
2. Muay Thai
3. Hapkaido
4. Capoeira

As was stated try actually reading a comic about a character before you statements this far off the mark. Ted Grant taught several DCU characters how to use those styles, batman Just happens to be one (Black canary another)

Bruce hasn't beaten Shiva in a comic and in fact has stated to Dick Grayson that he couldn't. This was also why he went to Shiva to train him to get back into shape after Bane broke his back (he needed the edge ONLY she could give him to get back on top).

The problem with trying to rank Dragon and Turner is that most of Dragon's best feats are pre COIE and questionably canon. he's only appeared in a couple of series since and hasn't done that much. pre COIE there isn't a doubt that Dragon is 1 (this is of course excluding O-Senei himself who was the master pre COIE of Dragon, Broinze tiger, Batman AND Shiva - who Clearly would have to be the numbero uno martial artist in DCU in the pre COIe era)and Bruce and Turner tie after that Shiva was after the two of them.

Post COIE I just don't see it that easy to rank. I see your point, but pre crisis Turner has beaten Batman, but batman has never beaten Bronze Tiger.

Magog
Originally posted by Daredevil1
RD 6/10

This is probably the answer, but there's that fact that BT has beaten RD before and they tied once. Throw in the martial arts tradition of the master never teaching his student all of his tricks, and I'd be tempted to give BT the majority instead.

Not sure of why all this debate around Punisher-Wildcat-Lady Shiva-Bruce Wayne. They are not in this match up.

Vanguard
Richard Dragon for me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.