No more fish for the Aquarium!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
I was watching the news last night and there was this story of PETA protesting agains't the Long Beach Aquarium (which is about 20miles from LA) for having fish in their cafeteria menu! So I looked it up on the news and found the full article here:

Wed Jun 29, 9:11 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An animal rights group has called on one of the largest aquariums in the United States to stop serving fish to its visitors, likening the practice to grilling up "poodle burgers at a dog show."

"It's easy to think of fish as swimming vegetables but of all the places in the country where fish should get a fair shake it's an aquarium," said Karin Robertson, manager of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Robertson sent a letter to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, near Los Angeles, asking directors to take fish off the cafeteria lunch menu, adding: "Serving fish at an aquarium is like serving poodle burgers at a dog show."

She said that recent studies show that fish are surprisingly "intelligent, sensitive and interesting animals" and that the aquarium was contradicting that message by cooking them for lunch.

Jerry Schubel, aquarium president, said in a statement that the facility served only sustainable and environmentally friendly fish and was committed to educating the public about conserving ocean environments.

KharmaDog
Comes up as an error. But all members of PETA should be shot and pissed on. Just an opinion.

debbiejo
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Comes up as an error. But all members of PETA should be shot and pissed on. Just an opinion.

Though I'm mainly a vegetarian...I do eat fish....Maybe cause they don't show much emotion.

PVS
peta should all be fed to the lions.

OMG!!!! EATING FISH AT AN AQUARIUM!!!!!

HELLOOOOOO!!??!?!?!?!?!? they feed fish to other carnivorous fish. why is it so immoral for humans to partake in the luxury?

next they'll be protesting my local japanese restaurant for having an aquarium at the sushi bar messed

so much brutallity is commited toward animals and these pathetic losers are busy parading at an aquarium with their thumbs up their asses. kill em all

Fishy
These guys are really idiotic... A look a Puma lets leave it out there in the middle of a forest eating animals and possibly attacking humans. Taking it back to the zoo is so cruel...

(Something on the Dutch news)

People like that should be shot and taken away, priorities people... If I want to eat Fish I should be able to do it. Does it really matter where I do it?

bilb
Does PETA actually serve any decenty purpose other than aging college professional students who needed their own clique because noone else could stand their whiny asses & patchouli oil smell??

PVS
they exist because animals lack the ability to say "get the f*** away from me you dumb smelly hippie!!!"

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
they exist because animals lack the ability to say "get the f*** away from me you dumb smelly hippie!!!"

Truth there is.......South Park showed it.....In the Douchebag and TurdSandwich episode

PVS
oh that episode was classic laughing out loud

Fishy
Almost every southpark episode is a classis smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
Almost every southpark episode is a classis smile

this is true....

Tptmanno1
Just like to say,
That aquarium is so cool! Its such a great aquarium...

Oh and Peta Sucks balls...

But Bilb already knew that....

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by WindDancer
Fish Empathy Project

I think the validity of the protest begins and ends in the name.

PVS
grrrrrrr.....still miffed over this

now we cant even eat fish

somebody needs to kill these hippies

vaya_the_elf
It is kind of weird.

I could see why they would complain, because its an Aquarium place.

Bardock42
Well...actuyll no....ok...what do big fish eat?....any takers...what was it again?...and Orca Whales...they ate something I forgot...what was it again....arghhhh

vaya_the_elf
Yes. I know

Although it is kind of funny they would serve fish though

Bardock42
Why?.....Cause fish doesn't taste good...if thats the reason I agree...except for that....**** PETA

vaya_the_elf
Personally I like them stick out tongue

PVS
why is it odd yaya?

ever go to the zoo and get a hot dog or burger from a vender?
is that so odd and immoral? well, you are eating a mammal in a place which showcases mostly mammals, so whats the difference?

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by PVS
why is it odd yaya?

ever go to the zoo and get a hot dog or burger from a vender?
is that so odd and immoral? well, you are eating a mammal in a place which showcases mostly mammals, so whats the difference?

Well its not like they could serve something else. Just seems weird because people who work their are probably fish people.

As for the zoo thing..

I understand what your saying, and their is not a difference.

PVS
i have kept pet fish for over 12 years now. the carnivorous ones tend to be very smart and the smarter ones can be taught trick and mine have even begged for food. i'll eat a fish sandwich right in front of them though, without a second thought, just as ill eat a hamburger(mammal) in front of one of my ferrets (mammal) and might even give them a bite if they werent so finicky.

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by PVS
i have kept pet fish for over 12 years now. the carnivorous ones tend to be very smart and the smarter ones can be taught trick and mine have even begged for food. i'll eat a fish sandwich right in front of them though, without a second thought, just as ill eat a hamburger(mammal) in front of one of my ferrets (mammal) and might even give them a bite if they werent so finicky.

Believe me I know other fish eat other fish. I worked at a petstore, which its main thing was fish.

I'm just saying I find it a little odd is all.

PVS
maybe the reason you find it odd is because fish are farther removed from humans than other mammals. from a distance they all seem alike, but they are different to eachother as we are to dogs, cows, mice, and elephants.

so really the whole protest is based on some kind of mammal/fish prejudice.
if i was a puffer fish or moray eel, i'd be pretty damn insulted being grouped with a flounder or cod.

racism knows no boundaries it seems.

i think we should all go to that aquarium and protest PETA's fish discrimination.
we cant allow this ignorance to tarnish the human race!!!!

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by PVS
maybe the reason you find it odd is because fish are farther removed from humans than other mammals. from a distance they all seem alike, but they are different to eachother as we are to dogs, cows, mice, and elephants.

if i was a puffer fish or moray eel, i'd be pretty damn insulted being grouped with a flounder or cod.

i think we should all go to that aquarium and protest PETA's fish discrimination.

laughing

WindDancer
In a way it sounds very odd. But no reason to protest or make a big deal out of it. Of course we're talking about PETA....and the story did kinda struck me as comedic. stick out tongue

joeykangaroo
I was watching the news last night and there was this story of PETA protesting agains't the Long Beach Aquarium (which is about 20miles from LA) for having fish in their cafeteria menu! So I looked it up on the news and found the full article here:

Wed Jun 29, 9:11 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An animal rights group has called on one of the largest aquariums in the United States to stop serving fish to its visitors, likening the practice to grilling up "poodle burgers at a dog show."

"It's easy to think of fish as swimming vegetables but of all the places in the country where fish should get a fair shake it's an aquarium," said Karin Robertson, manager of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Robertson sent a letter to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, near Los Angeles, asking directors to take fish off the cafeteria lunch menu, adding: "Serving fish at an aquarium is like serving poodle burgers at a dog show."

She said that recent studies show that fish are surprisingly "intelligent, sensitive and interesting animals" and that the aquarium was contradicting that message by cooking them for lunch.

Jerry Schubel, aquarium president, said in a statement that the facility served only sustainable and environmentally friendly fish and was committed to educating the public about conserving ocean environments.
interesting animals- you are joking
eek! poddle burgers....thats nasty

isnt that a bit melodramatic confused

Fëanor
In a way it sounds very odd. But no reason to protest or make a big deal out of it. Of course we're talking about PETA....and the story did kinda struck me as comedic. stick out tongue tbh.....the aqaurium is like 5 mins from me and i love that place....but peta is beyond ridiculous and bordering on stooopidity

now kids....this is what happens when you don't finish school and earn a degree....you're ripe fodder for peta

Capt_Fantastic
If I recall correctly, GatorWorld in Fla sell gator nuggets.

bilb
Originally posted by PVS

Fish Discrimination!! eek!

laughing laughing laughing

Oswald Kenobi
Originally posted by KharmaDog

Nah, it's a fact. big grin

WindDancer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.