The China Syndrome

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

botankus
On the surface, this movie really doesn't have much to work with. However, I'm on a late-70's/early-80's workforce movie kick. In the past three months I've watched Silkwood, Norma Rae, and now The China Syndrome.

This one involves a nuclear power plant, which is similar (slightly) to the environment portrayed in Silkwood. However, there are no unions in this one, just a "soft" news-reporting team of Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas.

They are doing a civic news report on the nuclear power plant when a near-meltdown occurs. They film the activities, and unless you live in a cave you should know that unauthorized filming at a nuclear power plant is illegal. This information I'm sharing with you is in the beginning and is listed on the back of the DVD case so no spoiler needed for that one.

Jack Lemmon is an employee at the plant and you begin to have doubts about his character from the beginning. He also looks about 30 pounds trimmer than the Grumpy Old Man we all know today.

I won't reveal any more, but it does involve the filming (obviously), cover ups, questions of ethics and morality, and getting the public the information they need to know - namely, that half of California was almost wiped off the map.

I would also like to point out that the man - yes, you all know who I'm talking about - Wilford Brimley turns out one helluva supporting actor performance. Michael Douglas is brilliant as well and even though she's basically a freakshow in real life, Jane Fonda is a HOT 40 year old in this one.

If you're not into dramas (with a little action) with good acting and direction, then don't bother. I will say that the ending is a very exciting one and more than I bargained for. On my Netflix star rating, I gave it 4 stars out of five, but if I weren't interested in stories like this one, I would have probably settled for just three.

MildPossession
The China Syndrome is fantastic!, one of my favourite films with Jane Fonda in.

It was helped along in the box office by the real life incident that happened a few weeks(think it was 12 days after it was released) later at a nuclear plant!

botankus
MildPossession, you are the only user except for Cinemaddiction that posts a response when I create a thread about any movie over 15 years old.

BTW, did not know that about the incident 12 days after it's release.

MildPossession
Yep, apparently it wasn't doing very well at the box office, but as soon as that real life nuclear accident happened people went to see it in flocks.

Did you get the special edition version of the film from netflix? if yes, are the extras worth seeing? I have a bare bones dvd with just a trailer on.

I have noticed lol, don't know why though, seems to be a lot of people on here who like all kinds of films.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by botankus
MildPossession, you are the only user except for Cinemaddiction that posts a response when I create a thread about any movie over 15 years old.

BTW, did not know that about the incident 12 days after it's release.

laughing out loud

I haven't seen "Silkwood" in ages. My parents taped it off of ABC in the 80's, IIRC. That said, I came close to renting "The China Syndrome" the other day in passing through Hollywood Video. Early 80's dramas are kind iffy with me, so we'll see.

MildPossession
It's a 1979 film, so go rent it smile

bakerboy
Great movie, i absolutely loved this movie. Jack lemmon and jane fonda are amazing in his performances, the scene of Lemmon's murder is very sad and powerful. One of the best movies about the workforce era in late 70s. By the way, i liked norma rae and silkwood too, but my favourite of the trio is china syndrome.

Cinemaddiction
Seventies, actually, I like. "Serpico" especially, and I neeeeeed to see "Dog Day Afternoon", just because of Lumet/Pacino.

MildPossession
Dog Day Afternoon is fabulous, and I love LOVE Pacino in Serpico.

botankus
Cory can you put a spoiler over the second half of bakerboy's second sentence? That is a huge giveaway. If you don't want to be spoiled yourself since you haven't seen it then don't read the post.

Off of Netflix I got the DVD with just the trailer on it. No extras, sorry.

bakerboy
Yeah, dog day afternoon was great. And serpico too. Al Pacino is amazing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.