the 80's vs the90's.Who had better music?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
Just wondering.

SlipknoT
I'd say 90's just because most of my favorite bands were still making records in the 90's and plus alot of bands I like came about in the 90's.

alcoholicpoet
90's, Nirvana.

StinkFist462
both had many great bands come and go but its still to hard to decide.

long pig
The greatest bands I know of started in the 80's and peaked in the 90's, so I guess it's even.

Deathblow
The 80's was mostly a horrible decade for music. It was certainly rock's lowest point, what with hair metal being as popular as it was back then. 90's were far better.

cad
Originally posted by Deathblow
The 80's was mostly a horrible decade for music. It was certainly rock's lowest point, what with hair metal being as popular as it was back then. 90's were far better. yeah i agree on that.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Deathblow
The 80's was mostly a horrible decade for music. It was certainly rock's lowest point, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax..?

Deathblow
...Pixies, U2, My Bloody Valentine, I didn't say there weren't good bands. There just weren't very many, certainly not compared to the 90's. Anthrax and Megadeth weren't great.

Korri
A small minority of 80s bands.

Deffinatley the 90s though.

Ladyluck
Originally posted by long pig
The greatest bands I know of started in the 80's and peaked in the 90's, so I guess it's even.

I agree

LLG
In my opinion 80's music, but there's a lot of music I liked in the 90's.

Victor Von Doom
I don't actually agree that the 80's was 'horrible'. It's the popular opinion, but for every synth band in the Eighties, the Nineties threw out ten Boyzones, Boyzone-lites (Westlife), and so forth down the chain.

Overall I'd still go with the Nineties, but the Eighties gets an unfair press.

Lord_Andres
late 80's and early 90's had the best music, the bands though started in early 80's and got better by time, i'd say that todays rock music is the lowest point it'l get, something has to happen pretty soon

Darth Jello
the 80's underground was much better than anything in the 90's

Nevermind
80's

Red Superfly
Am I the only one who can't decide due to the fact I thought both decades produced equal amounts of good/crap?

Alpha Centauri
I don't think the bad is equal to the amount of good produced, Red.

Considering over the two periods we've seen:

Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Any other Patton project, Tool, Radiohead, Opeth, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, The Cure, Pre-With Teeth NIN, Pre-eMOTIVe APC, Emperor, Mastodon etc etc.

Those were just off the dome. I would continue but I just realised it'd be pointless. Actually far too much to recall.

80s had some incredible Rock music, some of the best ever.

-AC

Red Superfly
I didn't mean that AC.

I meant both decades produced equal amounts of good and bad music, with more bad being produced than good.

80's produced just as much good music as the 90's ever did, even though on the whole both decades were dominated with CRAP.

Alpha Centauri
Oh, yeah. I agree really.

Although when you think about it like this: 80's were the infamous mainstream Pop years, right? Look at 80's Pop to 90's Pop. I actually think the 80's would be better of the worst.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
80's pop had a kind of appeal because it was so tragic. 90's was genuinely soulless and the antithesis of genuine music.

Imaginary
I don't know much about either decade, but I'd have to say 90's.

pr1983
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
80's pop had a kind of appeal because it was so tragic. 90's was genuinely soulless and the antithesis of genuine music.

Totally agree...

i like 80s pop alot better than the shite that came out in the 90s...

Red Superfly
Yes, I do enjoy 80's pop music more than 90's, so I guess in that case 80's is the winner. It, on the whole, did the same amount of good stuff as the 90's, but it's crap stuff just wasn't as abysmal as the 90's.

I mean, even the genuinely tacky crap from the 80's like Video Killed The Radio Star has some charm to it. At least it knew it was stupid.

The 90's brought a pretentiousness to pop music, where crappy bands thought they were genuinely good, when they were just crap.

el_barto
90's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.