Does death exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
We are entities inside a physical form. So therefore when we leave our bodies there is still life? Is that counted as death?

Does death even exist?

dark1365
Yes. Death is when the soul leaves your physical state. And we have a lot of that happenin' 'round here, believe me.

Cipher
Death is when you stop living....

"It" is not a physical being, though.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by BlackC@t
We are entities inside a physical form. So therefore when we leave our bodies there is still life? Is that counted as death?

Does death even exist?

Look in the dictionary.

piccola_nuvola
Death...hmm..If you say that death is when the heart stops for more than 3-5 minu

powerfulone1987
No, there's no such thing as death, we live forever and ever in Never Never Land. wacko

Morning_Glory
it does exist... it is inevitable

alcoholicpoet
No, death is the oppisite of existance, to die is to be nonexistant.

debbiejo
Does death exist?

Not if you can jump out first... big grin

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by Cipher

"It" is not a physical being, though.

piccola_nuvola
Originally posted by piccola_nuvola
Death...hmm..If you say that death is when the heart stops for more than 3-5 minu

Ooops...sorry for this. I was really asleep last night and didn't notice what I had written. Anyway what I meant is:

Death...hmm..If you say that death is when the heart stops for more than 3-5 minutes in normal temperature (after that the brain cells die) or for more than at most 25-26 minutes (in hypothermy, when the temperature of the body is 18C...after that the brain cells eventually die) then it does exist, and it happens everyday.
If you say that death is 'disappearing' then I do think it does not exist. First of all because you continue existing in the material/physical form (decomposition! When I was little I used to think that because of decomposition when ppl die they turn into fruits and vegetables...lol :P). And secondly, because I believe there is something more than merely the body, not really an 'attached' soul, but something formed with the body or developed with it, that continues to exist even after ppl change life. From my point of view, what we call death is just a change of state.

And after all it would be too sad to think that ppl disappear.

debbiejo
Some people DO turn into fruits and vegetables. and nuts.

piccola_nuvola
lol...Really??? Then I was not so stupid as a kid big grin

Freaky Zeeky
uhhhhh

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
No, death is the oppisite of existance, to die is to be nonexistant.
Exactly, so when you die, you no longer exist in this world. The memory of you does, but you yourself do not.

Just like when a certain kind of animal goes extinct, it dies off, it no longer exist.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Exactly, so when you die, you no longer exist in this world. The memory of you does, but you yourself do not.

Just like when a certain kind of animal goes extinct, it dies off, it no longer exist.

That means you are technically immortal.

piccola_nuvola
Originally posted by Freaky Zeeky

Not really if you put it that way...'cuz ppl forget. Memories don't last forever, do they?

alcoholicpoet
Originally posted by Freaky Zeeky

No, the human race will come to an end, I'll die, you'll die, our great grandchildren will die. Nothing is immortal.

Oswald Kenobi

Does death even exist?

You're assuming that we are entities inside a physical form. Also, assuming that this unproven "soul" leaves the body at death. Take away those two assumptions and death occurs when biological functions cease.

JediMusician
Death is a point of view. The physical vessel that carries your spirit dies. What happens to your spirit next is a point of debate in a different forum (religion). Merely being a point of view is enough to say something exists, however. So death exists. Just the word itself exists. So death exists. Any questions?

powerfulone1987
Not really if you put it that way...'cuz ppl forget. Memories don't last forever, do they?

Some do.

Are you telling me that if your mother died or if she is dead you would forget about her and not remember who she was or even remember that you had a mother.

I find that hard to believe.

EsteemedLeader
memory will end. and death does not exist. all people are is a mass of atoms being controlled by electrical signals and impulses. there is no such thing as a soul. these same atoms and electrical impulses have been in existance forever. they may move and shift and convert, but these basic building blocks will always be around. your state of conciousness may end, but everything that you are will stay. forever. your body may seperate but its still all in existance. the electric signals and impulses will convert to an equal energy and continue to power these atoms. forever.

debbiejo
Originally posted by alcoholicpoet
No, the human race will come to an end, I'll die, you'll die, our great grandchildren will die. Nothing is immortal.

Only the physical things die...not the real you.

xmarksthespot
In ultimate terms it's current theory that at some point the universe will "die" so technically everything will "die" (perhaps even the "real you" debbiejo? confused ).

Three of the theories are the universe ending in a "Big Crunch" where the universe compresses to a singularity, a "Big Rip" where the universe will literally be torn apart due to it's expansion, or the ironically named "Heat Death" where the universe reaches maximum entropy and there is no free energy left.

debbiejo
Those are only theories, but like all theories, there will be more theories added to this at some time...the more we learn...the more theories we derive....energy cannot be destroyed...It can change forms, but it can never not be...

Debbiejo is made up of energy and cannot be destroyed...just like you.

Evil
Death exsists, but not as an ultimate end to a mean. Science dictates all energy has a "flow" that go's up and down repeatedly. Death is the downward spiral, life is the upward twirl. Constantly in motion is the soul, and the primary objective, is to become closer to the ultimate force. (Or God, or whatever you want to call it, I don't care..)

cking
sounds like the FORCE from the star wars films.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Cipher

Unless you're in a George Romero film and then it becomes a fate worse than death.. stick out tongue

Atlantis001

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
In ultimate terms it's current theory that at some point the universe will "die" so technically everything will "die" (perhaps even the "real you" debbiejo? confused ).

Three of the theories are the universe ending in a "Big Crunch" where the universe compresses to a singularity, a "Big Rip" where the universe will literally be torn apart due to it's expansion, or the ironically named "Heat Death" where the universe reaches maximum entropy and there is no free energy left.

The universe isn't going to end. It is ever growing so how could it die?

xmarksthespot
Big Rip and Big Crunch account for the expansion of the universe. They're still just theories, and none of us will be alive to see if they come true. big grin

Shakyamunison
There was a time in my life when I looked at the world as mostly dead, matter and energy that had no life. This way of thinking would always bring my down. But then something happened to me, I decided to change. I decided that I was wrong and that everything was alive. This change was amazing. So, I will die and something else will live on. Life and death are the same thing.

JediMusician
No idea can exist without some kind of opposite. Life exists, therefore death must also exist.

The atoms that make up my body have always existed, and certainly will continue to exist, but only in their current configuration do they know life. And when this configuration ends, they will stop experiencing this strange concept, having then experienced death.

Those atoms, though, they'll keep on truckin'.

Storm
Death is an essential condition of life, not an evil.

debbiejo
Originally posted by JediMusician
No idea can exist without some kind of opposite. Life exists, therefore death must also exist.

The atoms that make up my body have always existed, and certainly will continue to exist, but only in their current configuration do they know life. And when this configuration ends, they will stop experiencing this strange concept, having then experienced death.

Those atoms, though, they'll keep on truckin'.

yes and only change form...

And death isn't evil...it's not because we've sinned...It's only the opposite of what life is....everything has an opposite...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
yes and only change form...

And death isn't evil...it's not because we've sinned...It's only the opposite of what life is....everything has an opposite...

Do you remember the movie Dark Cristal? It had a really go point. The two main groups (I can't remember their names, not good at that) one was good and the other was evil. At the end they came together to become a third being that was greater then the two. This is close to what I believe, When ever you have opposites, it's really an abstraction of true nature. Life and death are abstractions of something greater, I don't know what this is, but I think it is my entity, it could also be called God.

Count Dooku

Does death even exist?

It is impossible to get an answer from another human being. Each person has their own perspective of death or whether it exists. You have to ask yourself, Blackcat.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Do you remember the movie Dark Cristal? It had a really go point. The two main groups (I can't remember their names, not good at that) one was good and the other was evil. At the end they came together to become a third being that was greater then the two. This is close to what I believe, When ever you have opposites, it's really an abstraction of true nature. Life and death are abstractions of something greater, I don't know what this is, but I think it is my entity, it could also be called God.

No...I didn't see Dark Crystal....but I do believe that to everything there is an opposite...otherwise things wouldn't make sense.....We just put labels on these opposites...like good/evil....etc.

Shakyamunison
No...I didn't see Dark Crystal....but I do believe that to everything there is an opposite...otherwise things wouldn't make sense.....We just put labels on these opposites...like good/evil....etc.

In nature, sometimes there is no opposite to something, for example; quarks come in opposite pairs, up - down, strange - charmed, top... there should be a bottom but no one has found one yet. Now, my information is old, so like me, it maybe out of date. Also, an amoeba has no gender, asexual reproduction, so no opposite there.

kmcdude
No one has even proven we have a soul,so ofcourse dath exists.

debbiejo

Interesting...maybe memories do exist forever after you've died...and if you believe in reincarnation then after every death, you'd remember all your memories from all your life times in that transition period...Maybe the part of us that is now living can't remember, but is still there...Some have said to be able to access them....Hmmmm.

eithsungod
keep in mind
and this is a fact
u lose 3 pounds as soon as u die
n wat is that
ur soul/ chi /ki energy
however u call it but u get it

Wonderer
Death is only a stage between this life and the next.

overlord
Well, I'm not hoping for yet another life..
Just let my mind stay on earth.

Wonderer
Originally posted by overlord
Well, I'm not hoping for yet another life..
Just let my mind stay on earth.

Well, you can either suffer rebirth as a delusional human being (seeing the rope for a snake), or re-incarnated as an awakened being living in the Pure Land, Nirvana (recognising the rope for a rope and not thinking it's a snake).

AOR
Yes death does exsist. I believe a better question is what constitutes someone being dead. People who believe that the body ceasing to function is death. In that case it would take hundred of billions of years for the human body to truly be dead for it takes a long time for the elements of the body to be "non-exsistant". Others (like DC) say its when the soul leaves the body, in which case the time is unknown. Show me what makes someone dead, and I'll show you a dead person.

Shakyamunison
One day we will all know for sure.

AOR
One day we will all know for sure.

But until that time let only worry about our deaths. As it is the only thing we can truly discern

Mindship
Does death exist? Easy enough to find out...

Wonderer
Why is death such a huge subject? Are you guys scared of it?

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Wonderer
Why is death such a huge subject? Are you guys scared of it? I'd rather focus on life...

Wonderer
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I'd rather focus on life...
Exactly

Council#13
THERE IS NO DEATH FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakyamunison
Those who do not live, are dead.

AOR
Originally posted by Wonderer
Why is death such a huge subject? Are you guys scared of it?

I believe the words of the zealots were, " We fear no enemy, for here lies our strengths. We fear not death, for the conclave is eternall."

Soth
Originally posted by Darth Zannah

Does death even exist? No, Death doesn't exist. Everyone who has 'died' is just hiding behind the fourth wall in the theatre of out lives.

That was sarcasm, by the way

Shadow x 20
When you die every cell in your body dies including brain cells and white blood cells and everything. Your body begins to return to the Earth like all things on this planet does.

Shakyamunison
No one dies, we just go into the other room. laughing

debbiejo
No one dies, we just go into the other room. laughing Where do you get this stuff????

Then I must be dead. I'm always going into other rooms...I'm dead, I'm dead again...here I go....I died, did it agian...Ouch...Are you dead? ..here I go now, Did you do it...chips.You're turn..dead in 2 mins. ...I'm almost .....not agian.......OH, undead...dead now.....god I'm confussed. blink

Shakyamunison
Where do you get this stuff????

Then I must be dead. I'm always going into other rooms...I'm dead, I'm dead again...here I go....I died, did it agian...Ouch...Are you dead? ..here I go now, Did you do it...chips.You're turn..dead in 2 mins. ...I'm almost .....not agian.......OH, undead...dead now.....god I'm confussed. blink

Boy! You are bizarre. laughing

debbiejo
Each room causes me confusion now.... huh

Shakyamunison
Each room causes me confusing now.... huh

Room, room room...rip

debbiejo
animals_bunny2rip<---------eek

Shakyamunison

What?blowup

debbiejo
I used to be such a nice girl....Now I think about death...sadangel...and cocoa freakin puffs...

Atlantis001

OH NO ! It is that bunny again !!! scared

debbiejo
Pet Cemetery..

Deano
we are infinite oneness

debbiejo
Yes we are...ALL OF US!

tall_paul
its as real as everything else

Storm
It depends on your perception of death.

lil bitchiness

Does death even exist?

death is a natural occurance - when your body stops functioning in the manner it does now - so in that aspect, it does. It occurs every second, it must be there.

Alpha Centauri
It doesn't really depend on anything. Death does exist, it's the process of our bodies dying. I think (not sure, could be wrong) what Storm meant was that it depends what you believe to be the purpose or result of death.

Does death exist? Yes. The more appropriate question would be to ask if it's the absolute end or just a final beginning. Nobody knows, or will ever know.

-AC

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by AOR
Yes death does exsist. I believe a better question is what constitutes someone being dead. People who believe that the body ceasing to function is death. In that case it would take hundred of billions of years for the human body to truly be dead for it takes a long time for the elements of the body to be "non-exsistant".

Or when your Brain asphyxiates to the point where it cannot keep your cells alive !!!!!!!!!

Has anyone seen 21 grams ... apparently the soul weighs 21 grams or something like that ?

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It doesn't really depend on anything. Death does exist, it's the process of our bodies dying. I think (not sure, could be wrong) what Storm meant was that it depends what you believe to be the purpose or result of death.

Does death exist? Yes. The more appropriate question would be to ask if it's the absolute end or just a final beginning. Nobody knows, or will ever know.

-AC

Or they do know, and they're not allowed to tell !!!!!!!! smile

Storm
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Or when your Brain asphyxiates to the point where it cannot keep your cells alive !!!!!!!!!

Has anyone seen 21 grams ... apparently the soul weighs 21 grams or something like that ?
Dr. Duncan MacDougall' s results on changes in weight were far from consistent.

Alpha Centauri
New question, in similar vein to the topic:

If you found out that death is the end OR that there is an afterlife, what would you do after finding out? You can answer for either scenario, or both. Just imagine someone factually proved to you and you alone that either were the case, how would you react? You haven't been told anything specific about what eternal non-existance is like or what the afterlife is like, just that they exist (depending on which you answer).

-AC

R.O.T. Yahman

If you found out that death is the end OR that there is an afterlife, what would you do after finding out? You can answer for either scenario, or both. Just imagine someone factually proved to you and you alone that either were the case, how would you react? You haven't been told anything specific about what eternal non-existance is like or what the afterlife is like, just that they exist (depending on which you answer).

-AC

Non existence isn't hard to imagine .... just try remembering life, b4 birth !!!!!!!!!

If it was prov-en that non existence was to be the case, i would continue my life in much of the same way (i.e enjoy it, and family as much as possible) .... If life after death was prov-en, then i would make some radical changes to ensure that i enjoyed this experience !!!!!!

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Storm
Dr. Duncan MacDougall' s results on changes in weight were far from consistent.

As i thought .... urban myth !!!!!!!!!!!

AOR

-AC

To the answer for both: I'd live my life the way I'm doing now. Perhaps some changes here and there, but who couldn't use the changes, right? Granted, if death (being an end) was the case, I would probably succume to using that as an excuse to do things I wouldn't do if my idea of an after-life exsisted.

Storm
Knowledge of an afterlife wouldn' t affect me in any way. I' d continue to live my life the way I live it.

Alpha Centauri
You mean to say you'd continue as normal if you knew that upon death you'd not reach a final end?

-AC

AOR
You mean to say you'd continue as normal if you knew that upon death you'd not reach a final end?

-AC

That is to assume that her life is "suitable" to adhere to the definition of an after-life

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.