The Sword of Shannara series or Lord of the Rings series?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeAtHerRFace
Two very similar fantasy tales... if youve read both series, which do you prefer over the other?

sai12
I like Terry Brooks better, so I choose Shannara!!!

I really didn't care much for the LOTR books, Tolkien just rambled on and on. There should be a limit to how well something can be described!!

I just finished reading Tanequil, good book!! Excitedly awaiting the next one. Though I have to say I liked the story better before they introduced the flying ships and such. It was cool as just a magic story...

LeAtHerRFace
Yeah, I would have to say Shannara too... its really kick ass. Hey can you tell me how many books are in the series? heh

sai12
Offhand no, but I can go count from my bookshelf *runs to do that*

Come August it'll be 14!! (unless I'm a dunce and can't count :P...which wouldn't surprise me!)

And very happy you agree!!

LeAtHerRFace
Wow, amazing... it says in my book too. But are all of them related? do they all go in a same line? is the main character Shea the whole time? lol

LeAtHerRFace
Yes, I do like SOS better, just because of the... idk it's just better! lol

sai12
Originally posted by LeAtHerRFace
Wow, amazing... it says in my book too. But are all of them related? do they all go in a same line? is the main character Shea the whole time? lol

No its not the same main character evertime.Though each book is related to the others. The Ohmsford's *sp* are in every book.

ragesRemorse
brooks is the more refined writer. however his content feels sloppy, rushed and redundant.

sai12
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
brooks is the more refined writer. however his content feels sloppy, rushed and redundant.

It probably is a bit rushed now days. Since he probably has a deadline to make and whatnot.

ragesRemorse
yeah, but when the story and characters dont seem rushed, they seem to drag on and go in circles. The guy is a good writer, but it doesnt appear that he has good balance in his writings.

sai12
Each to his own I guess....I personally enjoy reading his books.

Then again I read them spaced out....

Coldfire
Originally posted by sai12
I like Terry Brooks better, so I choose Shannara!!!

I really didn't care much for the LOTR books, Tolkien just rambled on and on. There should be a limit to how well something can be described!!

I just finished reading Tanequil, good book!! Excitedly awaiting the next one. Though I have to say I liked the story better before they introduced the flying ships and such. It was cool as just a magic story...
I like Terry Brooks too happy I have to go and find Tannequil somewhere if its good

sai12
OH its good alright, just another cliffhanger ending!! mad I would suggest you read it!! Though make sure you read the book before it to remember what's going on. Cuz I was more than slightly confused throughout the book trying to remember characters and situations!! smile

Coldfire
Originally posted by sai12
OH its good alright, just another cliffhanger ending!! mad I would suggest you read it!! Though make sure you read the book before it to remember what's going on. Cuz I was more than slightly confused throughout the book trying to remember characters and situations!! smile
Oh I hate those cliffhanger endings!! But yeah I'll have to do that, since I haven't read those books in a while lol

whirlysplat
Both are not a patch on something like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant or even the original Belgariad (not all the rubbish that followed)

Coldfire
Originally posted by whirlysplat
Both are not a patch on something like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant or even the original Belgariad (not all the rubbish that followed)
Hmmm haven't read any of those...

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Coldfire
Hmmm haven't read any of those...

trust me you should smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.