Friend's Computer is completely FUBAR...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dave123
OK, here goes:

A few days ago, my friend's Win ME comp wouldn't start-up properly... it would come up with a blue screen, and some "PCGPC error" crap.

So I restore it to the day before. Put in the floppy disk, it's all good big grin

Then I check the computer in general... Limewire works 100% fine thumb up

However, if I try to open a windows folder, or an IE window, it screws up. Firefox can't connect to the internet, yet limewire can confused

The computer is littered with spyware, and it's really hard to remove it all.

So, any ideas... whats the deal?

2Tidus!
I think it's the Spyware. When you turn on the net, it'll get overloaded and do stuff like that. I use Norton Antivirus.

dave123
Oh yeah, forgot to add.... MSN doesn't connect either erm

Meaning I'd have to download Norton for him from limewire, which is risky

2Tidus!
Or any other Spyware uninstallers you know off, thought make sure you trust them and now they work well. All of the internet connections don't work because Spyware clogged it all up.

yerssot
the easiest is just to format of course

Clovie
saving important stuff earlier. yes

Bardock42
Nah, just format it right away.....

dave123
Solution: Install XP on there.

I tried to fix it, and accidentally deleted some important OS file, and it stopped booting embarrasment I didn't tell him, and just went and got the XP disk stick out tongue On the plus side, he's kept all his songs, games etc... just need to re-install the broadband drivers and it's all gravy again wink

Cheers for the help guys - I'll be sure to give him better security against spyware and such crap now stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.