Top 100 songs for 2004

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imaginary
This is the top 100 songs list for Triple J, which is an Australian radio station. Some of the music they play is crap but compared to the other radio stations around here that blare out Simple Plan, it's quite good.

Please note that since I'm in Australia, the songs will probably be a lot different to what you'd expect. By the way, it's not listener-voted.

# 1 franz ferdinand - take me out
# 2 missy higgins - scar
# 3 eskimo joe - from the sea
# 4 the killers - somebody told me
# 5 spiderbait - black betty
# 6 missy higgins - ten days
# 7 john butler trio - something's gotta give
# 8 little birdy - beautiful to me
# 9 powderfinger - bless my soul
# 10 the white stripes - jolene (live)
# 11 modest mouse - float on
# 12 the dresden dolls - coin-operated boy
# 13 the killers - mr brightside
# 14 evermore - it's too late
# 15 ben lee - gamble everything for love
# 16 grinspoon - hard act to follow
# 17 butterfingers - yo mama
# 18 the streets - fit but you know it
# 19 the streets - dry your eyes
# 20 spiderbait - f***kin awesome
# 21 william shatner - common people
# 22 green day - american idiot
# 23 scissor sisters - take your mama
# 24 jet - look what you've done
# 25 john butler trio - treat yo mama
# 26 grinspoon - better off alone
# 27 sarah blasko - don't u eva
# 28 beastie boys - ch-check it out
# 29 franz ferdinand - this fire
# 30 dresden dolls - girl anachronism
# 31 kings of leon - the bucket
# 32 eskimo joe - older than you
# 33 the bees - chicken payback
# 34 machine gun fellatio - what the f*ck?
# 35 scribe - not many {remix}
# 36 jeff buckley - forget her
# 37 ben folds - adelaide
# 38 u2 - vertigo
# 39 the killers - smile like you mean it
# 40 little birdy - this is a love song
# 41 faithless - mass destruction
# 42 lior - this old love
# 43 dogs die in hot cars - godhopping
# 44 scissor sisters - take me out {cover franz ferdinand}
# 45 wolfmother - woman
# 46 rammstein - amerika
# 47 the living end - i can't give you what i haven't got
# 48 elliott smith - memory lane
# 49 missy higgins - casualty
# 50 franz ferdinand - the dark of the matinee
# 51 john butler trio - what you want
# 52 regurgitator - my friend robot
# 53 placebo - english summer rain
# 54 the waifs - bridal train
# 55 the hives - walk idiot walk
# 56 xavier rudd - shelter
# 57 evermore - for one day
# 58 scissor sisters - laura
# 59 xavier rudd - solace
# 60 your wedding night - lachlan
# 61 deep dish - flash dance
# 62 eskimo joe - smoke
# 63 n.e.r.d. - she wants to move
# 64 epicure - self destruct in 5
# 65 chemical brothers - galvanize
# 66 devendra banhart - little yellow spider
# 67 black keys, the - 10am automatic
# 68 powderfinger - process this
# 69 freestylers, the - push up
# 70 starsailor - four to the floor (remix)
# 71 the von bondies - c'mon c'mon
# 72 polyphonic spree - hold me now
# 73 panda band, the - sleepy little deathtoll town
# 74 interpol - slow hands
# 75 the spazzys - paco doesn't love me
# 76 interpol - evil
# 77 snow patrol - run
# 78 little birdy - tonights the night 7
# 9 dallas crane - dirty hearts
# 80 the dissociatives - young man old man
# 81 end of fashion - rough diamonds
# 82 mylo - drop the pressure
# 83 dallas crane - numb all over
# 84 dogs die in hot cars - i love you cause i have to
# 85 regurgitator - the drop
# 86 the unicorns - i was born (a unicorn)
# 87 sia - breathe me
# 88 a perfect circle - imagine
# 89 jet - get what you need
# 90 greenskeepers - lotion
# 91 decoder ring - somersault
# 92 scissor sisters - comfortably numb
# 93 john butler trio - hello
# 94 the vines - ride
# 95 placebo - twenty years
# 96 after the fall - mirror mirror
# 97 gyroscope - safe forever
# 98 gomez - catch me up
# 99 the butterfly effect - always
# 100 fabienne delsol - i'm gonna haunt you

SlipknoT
I see 3 good songs.

rammstein - amerika
a perfect circle - imagine
modest mouse - float on

cad
yeah some songs are good.

Deathblow
100 reasons why radio is pointless.

nick1811
Originally posted by Deathblow
100 reasons why radio is pointless.

damn straight

jaden101
aaawwww....it doesn't cater for the rebelious metallers....shame

Deathblow
But caters perfectly for the horribly repetetive so-called ''indie'' sheep.

jaden101
indie "sheep" eh

have you ever seen a group of metal fans hanging around your town centre

seems to me that it is they who have insecurities about image

the funniest thing i remember was seeing a bunch of them...2 of which were wearing the same t shirt which said "you laugh at me because i'm different...i laugh at you because you're all the same"

yet just about every single one them looked identical

i think thats more of a "sheep" mentallity than any other group going

Korri
Originally posted by jaden101
indie "sheep" eh

the funniest thing i remember was seeing a bunch of them...2 of which were wearing the same t shirt which said "you laugh at me because i'm different...i laugh at you because you're all the same"

was this is glasgow by any chance? lol

jaden101
Originally posted by Korri
was this is glasgow by any chance? lol

hahaha...almost...i take it its just the same there as it is in Dundee

Deathblow
indie "sheep" eh

Sure, but those aren't metallers, those are posey mixed up ''rebels'' who want to stand out.

As much as you may loathe this, metal actually has it's fans throughout all of society, not just whatever bunch of sad teenagers and/or 30-year old virgins hang around your town. You obviously think you are above the entire genre and whoever enjoys it, which is fine, but also really rather pathetic, as it has (and still does) provided music with many of it's most talented musicians, many of it's major creative step forwards, and is also quite easily the most varied genre I've come across, and I've come across a few.

And by the way, you seem to have once again come to the narrow-minded conclusion that because I like metal, I am a wannabe rebellious ''metaller'', which, seeing as metal only makes up approximately 20 to 25% of the music I listen to, is completely wrong. Which is kind of puzzling seeing as I've told you this before, and have also posted in threads about everything from The White Stripes to Wu-Tang Clan in this forum.

But hey, what do I know.

jaden101
exactly

Deathblow
Hmm. That would've been more funny if I hadn't edited that last part in just to see if you would actually take the low, low road and do that.

But I doubt it.

jaden101
i didn't say that anywhere on this forum nor do i think that

everything i stated in my post was factual...if was to patronize those people i mentioned by saying that they aren't real metal fans just to try and keep the genre out of the hands of angst ridden people who criticize other genres of music and the people that listen to them as "all the same" then the argument is equally applicable, if not more so...to metal than any other

as for the talent issue....yes many metal musicians are superbly talented...i agree...particularly with the drummers from metal bands...as for creativity...this exists in all genres of music including metal...but the fact remains that the pioneers to copycats ratio is probably worse in metal than any other genre

as for pegging you as a stereotypical metal fan...i haven't done that...but i have given the primary and dominant image of what a metal fan is...

you are right that we have had this discussion before...and once again you seem to have pegged me as someone who listens to indie and only indie...and once again you are wrong

jaden101
you know what...lets take a step back anyway

you say the list caters for "indie sheep"

why...because it has the killers and franz ferdinand...the later of which i have never been a fan of...EVER

the artists i would pick out of that list as worth a mention

interpol
mylo
jet
ben folds

and because they're a local band...dogs die in hot cars

Alpha Centauri
Here's something funny.

I'm extremely knowledgeable when it comes to music. I love many different bands. I go from Mastodon to Emperor to Opeth to Tool to The Hives to Mindless Self Indulgence to Mr. Bungle.

I could fit into just about any scene there is. I don't need to wear mascara and chains to know I love metal bands. Like I wouldn't have to wear a cardigan, specs and not get laid to be an indie fan. I'm a music fan, to put it lightly.

Anyone who follows any kind of dress code or scene associated with music is an idiot, a sheep. It doesn't matter if you're indie, metal, goth, pop, whatever. If you follow it blindly, you're a sheep.

Jaden, you didn't give anyone the primary anything. Common to you, sure. Primary? No.

Primary metal fans are fans of metal music genuinely.

But while we're on the subject. Here's a fun thing to do:

Emperor, Opeth, Mastodon, Rammstein, Slayer, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Pantera, Down.

Those are Metal bands, right?

Franz Ferdinand, Maximo Park, The Kaiser Chiefs, Athlete, Keane, Razorlight, Bloc Party, Snow Patrol.

These are Indie bands.

Do you seriously wanna go into who has the more samey genre? Because there are drastic differences between each of those metal bands. Those indie bands all sound nearly exactly the same, save for maybe a little difference in the vocals.

Whether you hear it or not, metal is a far more varied genre.

If you got all the metal bands in the world gathered in a room with all the indie bands, at least 4 of those metal bands could make a genuine claim to be the best in the world on some level.

Wanna guess how many of the indie bands could do that?

Begins with Z.

-AC

Imaginary
Oops... my bad. It is, actually, listener-voted.

Edit: After rereading this thread, I have to ask. Which of these bands/artists have you guys actually heard of? Because a good amount are Australian.

jaden101
thats just total bollocks and well you know it

to say that bloc party sound like keane is just a total nonsense thing to say and all it really proves is your lack of knowledge

but while we are on the subject...indie is a genre unto itself anyway...unlike all the bands you mentioned which can be classified into the many different types of metal that exist...most of which are shite

thats about the most sensible thing you've posted in the music forum...and i agree with it entirely

what...as in the best metal band in the world?
?

Korri
hahaha...almost...i take it its just the same there as it is in Dundee

Possibly worse erm.

i saw a girl yesterday with tights....and stripy socks and new rocks all going on at the same time.

I fwelt a bit sick at this point but that could possibly be due to the fact that my friends had dragged me into MacDonalds.

Alpha Centauri
thats just total bollocks and well you know it

to say that bloc party sound like keane is just a total nonsense thing to say and all it really proves is your lack of knowledge

They all carry a similar way of playing, a similar way of performing. Bloc Party are the only band there with a LITTLE difference, but it's only because of the vocals that you can differentiate between many of them. Keane, to your credit, are probably the dullest there along with 6 others. Oh wait....

but while we are on the subject...indie is a genre unto itself anyway...unlike all the bands you mentioned which can be classified into the many different types of metal that exist...most of which are shite

Most of which are shite? Not at all. Most of what you see is shite, that's all. Some people would class Hot Hot Heat as Indie, they're a very good band. I'm not ripping on the whole genre, just most of it. Because most of it is factually what I described. It doesn't come down to me disliking it. As yours does with Metal.

what...as in the best metal band in the world?
?

No, as in overall. Like I said, on some level. It doesn't have to be music produced. It can be rated on talent with instruments/musicianship, consistancy. No Indie band will ever be rated as the best band in the world. It's happened to many Metal bands.

-AC

Libertine
I dont like metal, i love Indie so I think i would be to biased in this discussion... although Jaden 101 can i marry you.

jaden101
certainly...

jaden101
indeed although i admit that i haven't heard alot of thier stuff but i like what i've heard

i really dont see why we keep having this debate because from what i've seen you post i think we actually have a meeting point of tastes...there is an overlap of what i like and what you like...bands and artists such as the white stripes, jimi hendrix and mr bungle for example

not to mention that we both agree that bands who compromise artistic merit over making the evil green paper are scum of the earth

i admit to liking indie...and while it may be considered by many to be a genre of clones...it does change and it does have genuine pioneering bands...but just as metal is plagued by talentless carbon copies...so is indie

i get the feeling that many of the metal fans of this site hate indie as an image statement rather than out of musical integrity...but the same can be said for many of the people i know who like indie....my brother for example will come to my house...i'll let him hear a little known band who i think are good and who might become better known...he will say they are shite...he'll hear them months later on the radio and then ask me if i've heard of them and say that they're good

thats how indie gets it "sheep" moniker and i can understand that

then again its a pretty pointless debate being it between myself and and both AC and deathblow...given that it seems none of us is...or at least admits to being shallow enough to listen to music based on image

Alpha Centauri
I never listen to music based on image.

If there was a Pop artist who came out with genuine talent, genuine integrity whilst making genuinely good music that I liked, I wouldn't deny liking it.

If there happened to be an Indie band I thought were making music different from nearly every single other British band at the moment, and happened to enjoy it, I'd like them. If you can honestly sit there, hear Athlete, Keane, Embrace, The Kaiser Chiefs etc etc and tell me that there aren't more carbon copies in indie than anywhere else, well, I dunno.

There are alot of shits in metal, I agree. But at least they don't ALL sound the same. Save for your Taking Back Sundays etc.

-AC

jaden101
i dont think there are...just that they are more high profile because its what the mainstream media shows more of

if the live music scene in my city is anything to go by then its carbon copy metal bands that are in by far the highest abundance...

this is the same situation in cities where some of my friends now live...or at least its what i'm told

as for the bands you mentioned...i hate embrace and always have...never been to fond of athlete either...although i do like a couple of tunes by the kaiser chiefs i think that most of their debut album was pretty weak at best

and keane are different in the sense that they use no guitar (the staple of indie bands) and although its not to everyones taste...the vocalist does have a pretty good voice

Alpha Centauri
He has possibly the blandest voice there is.

He is at the talent level of someone who goes to schools to learn how to sing, and passes.

He's actually nothing more than that.

-AC

jaden101
nah...that definitely goes to the guy from embrace...he cant sing to save his live...they must need about a million takes in the studio for it cause when he sings live (as on live8 murrayfield earlier) his voice was out of tune...inaudible and utterly UTTERLY bland

hence i've never liked them

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.