Ultimate Spiderman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stealth Agent
This is ther new spiderman game coming out. Should be out by the end of the year.

(from http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/ultimatespiderman/preview_6125304.html )

Activision has had a very good run with its series of Spider-Man games based on the impressive Sam Raimi-directed films starring Marvel Comics' iconic webslinger. The latest title featuring the amazing arachnid is a departure from the movie games and instead focuses on his comic adventures. Of all Spidey's various books over the years, Ultimate Spider-Man focuses on the newest incarnation of the hero, which is part of Marvel's Ultimate line, and aims to reintroduce the 40-plus-year-old character to a modern audience. The game serves as a companion to one of the book's most popular storylines, which introduced Venom, and makes use of a unique approach to its narrative, all of which sets it apart from the previous games from Activision. We recently had the chance to get a look at the game in motion, which is arguably one of the slickest comic translations we've seen to date.

If you haven't followed Marvel's Ultimate line of comic books, we'll toss in a quick primer so you won't be left behind. The line began in 2000 with Ultimate Spider-Man, an attempt by Marvel to update the decades-old hero for a new generation of readers. Though all of the key points of Spidey's origin remained intact, Marvel and writer Brian Michael Bendis had some fun with the finer details. Whereas in the current Marvel series Peter Parker is all grown up and married with all sorts of personal baggage to sort through, Ultimate Spider-Man's Peter Parker is back to the basics. The young high school student is a Web designer at the Daily Bugle newspaper and is dating one Mary Jane Watson. This fresh approach not only reintroduces all the elements of the Spider-Man canon that many of us grew up with, but also adds new twists that have attracted a slew of new readers and maintained the faithful fans. Ultimate Spider-Man's story picks up where the Venom story arc left off.

The third-person action adventure game uses an objective-based mission structure that lets you roam through a massive chunk of New York City. You'll be able to zip around Manhatten and Queens, checking out the local sights like Peter's home and high school, or focusing on mission-critical objectives that will advance the story once completed. The gameplay mechanics are in line with developer Treyarch's previous Spider-Man titles, and the best aspects of the two movie games have been combined to result in an end product that the team is hoping will be an accessible experience. You'll have access to the full array of Spidey's powers, speed, strength, superhuman leaps, webslinging, and so on, which will all come into play as you fight crime. Ultimate Spider-Man also features a flexible combat system that the team hopes will re-create Spider-Man's unique acrobatic combat style.

Now, while this all sounds fairly routine for a Spider-Man game, Ultimate Spider-Man heats things up with the inclusion of a second playable character, Venom. But, rather than simply being a palette swap, Venom actually features unique moves that set him apart from Spidey--which is namely raw power. Whereas Spider-Man is all speedy leaps and lightning-quick moves, Venom is a nigh-unstoppable powerhouse who wields all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop and can cause mass destruction with his powerful tendrils. The catch for such power, though, is that when playing as Venom you'll have to feed innocent bystanders to your suit to keep it from draining your life force. Better them than you, right? The addition of Venom to the mix is a treat for fans and should also provide some variety to the experience.

The missions you'll undertake will be set throughout the city and will determine which of the characters you'll play as, and it seems as though you'll be playing as both characters for roughly the same amount of time. Though some of the missions the characters will participate in may be a bit similar to one another, you'll find that how they go about their business is distinctly different. Besides standard missions, you'll get into boss fights against familiar faces, such as Electro, which become dynamic adventures once both Spidey and Venom get in the mix. Our demo showed an epic street battle between Spider-Man, Electro, and Venom in Times Square.

Spidey's solid gameplay is complemented by a stunning visual style that frames the action in a pseudo-3D comic style complete with motion-graphics panels that the camera flows in out and of as the cinematics unfold. To add to the comic feel, the graphics use a lighting and black inking system for the characters, which does a remarkable job of simulating the art style of a comic book. We were able to check out a few different segments of the game and are mightily impressed by the sleek storytelling in this work- in-progress title. The story panels and the camera work around them is well done and ensures the action is never visually boring. In fact, based on what we've seen, we'd say the game displays the kind of polish and style we'd expect out of a Japanese game, which is a very good thing considering its state of completion.

The audio in the game is sounding good, with a solid cast of voice actors being tapped to bring the comic cast to life. We're especially pleased by how Spidey's trademark quipping has come off. The music we heard featured a collection of tracks worthy of a good comic romp, so we were pleased.

Our early look at Ultimate Spider-Man was a positive one and left us wanting more. The gameplay looks like it's offering what you'd want from a Spider-Man game, while the visuals add in a whole new level of style that's been overdue in comic games for some time. We're extremely anxious to see how the game will turn out, and we aim to make it one of our firsts as we begin roaming the E3 show floor this week. Ultimate Spider-Man is slated to ship later this year for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, PC, Xbox, Nintendo DS, and Game Boy Advance. Look for more on the game soon.

Stealth Agent
Personally i thought the combat system was fine how it was. I think the graphics should be upped, story extremley lengthened. & give you more to do.

I hope you'll be able to free roam just as much as you could in the last one or more.

powerfulone1987
This game comes out in 2 more months and I plan to get it.

I hope it's way better than the last game. The last game moved kind of chalky and jerky and the fighting sucked.

This one looks way better and smoother and more story driven I hope and I hope that random street fights aren't necessary to progress through the game because it just takes away from the experience to have to save someone from falling from a building or stopping thieves from stealing money if you are in the middle of the story and you don't feel like doing that. It should be optional.
And I am glad that you learn different moves as you progress through the game and you don't have to purchase them.
More than likely you won't have to battle random villians to earn points since you don't have to buy new moves.
This game seems like it will be better.
Just what we've been waiting.

Red Superfly
At first I was excited, but I really hate how Spider-Man and Venom look in this.

The game I think will be fun and great, but I can't stand the Ultimate version of Spider-Man or his villains.

powerfulone1987
I think the characters comic bookish for the first time.
I like it.

How does this spiderman differ in looks from any other spiderman look. They look the same to me.
Unless your talking about how the game designers made the characters more comic bookish and cartoony and cell shaded, but you just said you don't like the ultimate version of spiderman.
What does that mean?

yabadoo
right sur

infern07
ok then?
zorro

hotsauce6548
What the hell does 'right sur' mean?

Red Superfly
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Unless your talking about how the game designers made the characters more comic bookish and cartoony and cell shaded, but you just said you don't like the ultimate version of spiderman.
What does that mean?

I don't like the Ultimate universe of Spidey. He has a bobble head and looks like Spider-boy. The whole point of Spider-Man is that he looks like a man when inside the costume, and that people don't think he's just a kid. People look at Ultimate Spidey and it looks like his voice has only just broke.

Venom doesn't look half as intimidating or as cool as the original. Venom is supposed to be a bigger version of Spidey with a slobbering mouth. He was as big as Eddie Brock, he was only bigger than Spidey because Brock was bigger than Peter. The Ultimate version has Venom as some rediculous monster, the size of The Hulk, I liked it when it was more like a skin-tight suit.

When I heard the next Spidey game was going to allow you to be Venom, I was excited. It's a childhood dream come true. You cannot imagine my dissapointment when I saw that the makers decided to go with "Purple blob" Venom. It isn't Venom.

Green Goblin is just another cliched transforming baddie. He just transforms into a real Goblin. It's so uninspired and not even as good as the original idea.

The liberties taken with the story, now I wouldn't mind this if it turned out better than the original, but in the Ultimate universe, it's as though they change things just for the hell of it, without realising the original was actually better.

I just don't like the Ultimate universe. The cel shading works wonders, but I don't like the subject matter.

black-russian
well regardless of your rantings USM is the best spidey book out at the moment.

Red Superfly
Well, you've really convinced me to change my opinion right there........

Anyone else wanna offer any more pearls of wisdom?

CorderaMitchell
I myself am looking forward to it, I just want it to be atleast as impressive as spiderman 2, with cooler characters, and multiplayer. smile

Red Superfly
Well yeah, as a game, I'm looking forward to it. I love Spider-Man 2, but mainly because it really does feel like you are Spider-Man, doing what Spider-Man does. Sure it's based on the movie, but it gets the feel of Spider-Man spot on.

This one however, may play even better, but I can't help thinking I'll be playing as Spider-Boy and Purple-Blob-Dude.

I heard it was going to be Spider-Man: Classic, based on the comics in cel shading. I thought "great". When I heard Venom was gonna be in it, and playable I thought "wow". When I saw the game was actually based on Ultimate Spider-Man, I thought "Oh dear".

If it had the same subject matter as the PSOne games it would have been so cool. THAT to me is Spider-Man.

CorderaMitchell
Is there any multiplayer, that you know of?

Red Superfly
I dunno, didn't hear anything about that so I'm guessing not.

CorderaMitchell
I'm still cool with it seing as I play alone, and how would you make freelance webswinging work?

On second thought though it does sound fun!

Red Superfly
I'm looking forward to the Hulk game a little bit more though.

CorderaMitchell
Whats supposed to be so great about that?

DarkCrawler
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f66/t342378.html

CorderaMitchell
Neat!!

Stealth Agent
i hope its just like spiderman 2 except with the things that neded to be bettter they make better.

Yes it is a complete shame about purple blob venom. Venom was always my favorite characther, i hate the newer venom they have. I want the classic.

powerfulone1987
So you mean the actual comic book ultimate spiderman character looks like he does in the game. I didn't realize they were basing this on a comic book and that there was a comic book on Ulitmate Spiderman with characters look like this. I though they had just made up a new looking spiderman for this game.
Yall will have to forgive my ignorance because I never did keep up with all the comic book side of the story stuff, I just watched the cartoons on tv and play the games.
I always wonder where people get their comic books, because I don't know anywhere around here where they sell comic books and keep up with the issues and I don't see anything thing you can send off and get them in the mail monthly. How do yall get yalls comic books?

Red Superfly
Well, it's based on The Ultimate Spider-Man comic book. It's basically a retelling of the Spider-Man story but from a modern perspective, and it's kinda crap with a few good ideas thrown in.

Thing is, Venom in the Ultimate comics has his old school white-spider logo, and depending on the artist, he looks like the good old Venom we all love. But the game seems to have taken a liberty with Venom for some bizarre reason. Where the hell is his spider-logo?

SaTsuJiN
I like spider man.. but I'm pretty sick of cell-shading.. its getting on my nerves

CorderaMitchell
lol

Stealth Agent
Cell shading is cool, I think it will look pretty cool. However i tyhink if they do this with cell shading and panels to tell storys it will no longer feel realistic as spiderman 2 and just look/feel like some fantasy world,

hotsauce6548
I think that's what they are aiming for...

powerfulone1987
that's what i was gonna say until i saw your message,lol.

CorderaMitchell
lol indeed

powerfulone1987
whatever.
This game looks good the way it is.

hotsauce6548
Yeah, I think it captures the Ultimate Spider-Man mood of the comics.

Stealth Agent
The trailer was sort of lame but i think it will still be good.

powerfulone1987
I liked the trailer.
I'd rather they come out with something new like this game than make it look like a past spiderman video game. That would be boring.
I didn't even bother finishing the last spiderman game "Spiderman 2".
I didn't like the way the graphics looked and the way the characters moved. The movement was sort of jerky and not smooth enough. And the edges of the character design was sharp and pointy and not smooth enough.
This game looks 100% better.
I hope the game play has improved from the last game just as the graphics have.

Impediment
Just bought the new Ultimate Spider-Man game. Totally worth every cent. Great damn game, much better than the previous two. Its especially badass to play as Venom and devour the innocent pedestrians. Heh heh.

Red Superfly
Game sucks. They've removed the bits that amde webswinging so fun. They haven't changed much with the random missions that weren't fun. The fact it's based on Ultimate Spider-Man just doesn't work for me. I like the USM comics, but when it comes to games I want the Amazing Spider-Man and classic villains.

Venom, what I think of Venom as, is Spideys evil alter ego. Thats why he became so damn popular in the first place - he was just a bigger, badder, deadly version of Spidey. He bacame popular for a number of reasons. One was his bad ass appearance, which has remained intact somewhat (although he's way too big) and the other was that he was the complete antithesis of Spidey.

When I play as Venom, I just don't feel like Venom at all. I don't even feel like USM Venom. Gimmicky crap in my opinion.

The story consists of chase boss, fight boss, repeat. Doh!

Next time, just make Spider-Man 2 based on the 616 universe, with better random missions, and just throw Venom in as a skin with 50% stength or something. That's all Venom is. Quit coming up with convoluted ideas like eating people to survive and having some lame super jump. Just re-skin Spidey and up his stats. That's the Venom that became popular, that's the Venom everyone truly wants to play as. Anyone that prefers blob Venom over classic Venom is clearly in denial.

The only thing I'd like for them to keep is the graphics. Now theyve got a nice engine tto work with, they can actually now make a sequel worth playing.

amity75
Is this game worth buying? I have some spare cash right now and was wondering if I should spend it on this game as it's really caught my attention. And I'll listen to the comments of the people here rather than some tube in a playstation mag.

mattador
If you want a good new Marvel game, get Incedible Hulk. Im not saying USM was bad, just not as good. Its super-short with limited replayability sad

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by mattador
If you want a good new Marvel game, get Incedible Hulk. Im not saying USM was bad, just not as good. Its super-short with limited replayability sad

Actually, I would say the opposite. stick out tongue

mattador
To each his own lol stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.