Why pre-order Alexander or any other DVD?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

afcw1969
I pre-order from deepdiscountdvd.com because their price is usually the lowest and they deliver most of the time on the DVD release date, even one time the day before the release date. It comes to my door so I don't have to fight any crowds or traffic.

The jpg is when Alexander ran to his father who was just assassinated.

MildPossession
"Preorder it, wait for it to be shipped a week after it's released for more than what a brick and mortar store will charge?"

-from topic closed.

Nope, doesn't happen with me. When I preorder a dvd it's usually cheaper online than the shops here, and it's sent out a few days before release date in shops...

Cinemaddiction
At DeepDiscount, "Alexander" is $22.49. At Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City, it's going to be closer to $17.99-$19.99. You can go to the store the day of its release and pick it up.

Preordering it through DeepDiscount, if you select the free shipping, it takes 7-10 days from the day its released to be delivered to your place, and you're stuck with overpaying for the movie. Even if you pay $5 for the expedited shipping, you end up paying $27.49 for a DVD you can drive up the road to a store and purchase in 1 minute. Recieving a movie before it's released is a nice little perk, but it means nothing to me since everyone else who wants it will have it eventually.

Pre-ordering is convenient for people who can't leave their house, lol. I don't see any other instances.

afcw1969
There is no shipping charge and no tax with deepdiscountdvd.com Your price at these other retailers with taxes and costs of driving there will be more than what I pay $22.49. deepdiscountdvd ships before the release date in order for it to arrive on the release date approx. Besides where I live the closest store that will stock it is over 10 miles away. I do leave the house. End of story.

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
At DeepDiscount, "Alexander" is $22.49. At Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City, it's going to be closer to $17.99-$19.99. You can go to the store the day of its release and pick it up.

Preordering it through DeepDiscount, if you select the free shipping, it takes 7-10 days from the day its released to be delivered to your place, and you're stuck with overpaying for the movie. Even if you pay $5 for the expedited shipping, you end up paying $27.49 for a DVD you can drive up the road to a store and purchase in 1 minute. Recieving a movie before it's released is a nice little perk, but it means nothing to me since everyone else who wants it will have it eventually.

Pre-ordering is convenient for people who can't leave their house, lol. I don't see any other instances.

Cinemaddiction
Tax on $17.49 is $1.32, and gas, as ridiculous as this is, is about $2. So, order it online and you're still spending $7 dollars more on it than someone who buys it at the store. Not accounting for any freebies stores may advertise along with it.

To each his own, I suppose.

MildPossession
Don't know about America, but here in England it's cheaper to buy dvds online compared to shops and pre-order ones if you want to. Plus bigger selection.

Cinemaddiction
I think Deep Discount has the largest selection online, aside from eBay of course. However, their prices on new DVD's are higher. They inflate the MSRP to make their prices seem reasonable.

afcw1969
The pre-order prices at Warner Brothers for the three versions of Alexander is $19.95 for the special edition 1-disc Director's Cut, and $22.95 for the 2-disc versions of the theatrical and director's cut. Plus you pay shipping and taxes to Warners, but not to deepdiscountdvd.com which is still lower than most online e-tailers. The lowest gallon of gas here is $2.43, not worth the pollution it causes.

afcw1969
deepdiscountdvd.com prices on the Alexander DVDs are slightly lower than Warner Brothers so they are deflated. The Alexander DVD is produced at Warner Brothers. On other DVDs I never saw deepdiscountdvd price anything higher than the MSRP. I have purchased most of my dvds from deepdiscountdvd just because their prices were lower than most online, in fact deepdiscountdvd has the lowest prices online.

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I think Deep Discount has the largest selection online, aside from eBay of course. However, their prices on new DVD's are higher. They inflate the MSRP to make their prices seem reasonable.

Jackie Malfoy
Because if you don't then you will not have a change to buy it.It may be gone if you go too late to buy it when it comes out.JM

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by afcw1969
deepdiscountdvd.com prices on the Alexander DVDs are slightly lower than Warner Brothers so they are deflated. The Alexander DVD is produced at Warner Brothers. On other DVDs I never saw deepdiscountdvd price anything higher than the MSRP. I have purchased most of my dvds from deepdiscountdvd just because their prices were lower than most online, in fact deepdiscountdvd has the lowest prices online.

I highlighted this from DeepDiscount for the "Coach Carter" DVD.

Why Pay $ 29.95?
Our Price:
$ 21.14

Nobodies going to CHARGE $29.95, much less PAY, that much for a new DVD. The MSRP sharing is just a marketing strategy, because it's SUGGESTED, not IMPLIED. That's how sites get you to think their price is low.

BTW, Buy.com has the 2 Disc "Alexander" for $20.45 before shipping, and DeepDiscount hardly has the cheapest prices online for new movies. That title goes to DVDSoon.com, out of Canada.

Case in point, they have "Hide and Seek" for $18.48, DDDVD is offering it for $21.29. You can argue that the prices will be the same after shipping, with the free shipping at DeepDiscount, but in principal, they still are NOT the cheapest.

afcw1969
Cineaddiction replied on other topic: Agreed this is getting annoying.

I remember one of the Twins said that in the Matrix Reloaded regarding Trinity's car escapes. But then Morpheus' sword ended the Twins chase. Ha! Their annoyance was ended. Ha.

afcw1969
MildPossession said in closed thread:

"God, why don't you put all the Alexander questions into one topic?"

God wanted a new thread.

afcw1969
Since Amazon has listed Alexander Theatrical and Director's Cut 2-disc DVVD versions for $15.99 plus $2.98 shipping and tax extra, I emailed deepdiscountdvd.com with the url of that Amazon page asking for a discount. They say they will do it on their website if you can provide the web page info.

I pre-order from deepdiscountdvd.com because their price is usually the lowest and they deliver most of the time on the DVD release date, even one time the day before the release date. It comes to my door so I don't have to fight any crowds or traffic.

gls
i usually get new dvd's for about ..$10. like when i bought Appleseed and Blade Trinity (unrated).

afcw1969
Where do u buy new DVDs for @ $10?

Originally posted by gls
i usually get new dvd's for about ..$10. like when i bought Appleseed and Blade Trinity (unrated).

afcw1969
Tonight I re-pre-ordered Alexander Theatrical from Overstock.com which now has the lowest price plus shipping at $15.98 + $1.00. DeepDiscountDVD.com cancelled my pre-order at my request: it was $22.49: not the lowest this time. They would not discount to pre-order pricing as at Amazon.com with $15.98 for Alexander and $2.98 shipping. So Overstock.com is winning my pre-order this time! It will save my time and money so I don't have to go to a retailer for a lower cost, unless they sell for even less which seems unlikely.

DeVi| D0do
I only ever preorder DVDs/games if I really want it bad. My experience with preorders is that they send it out a day in advance and it arrives on my doorstep the morning of the release.

And I only preorder a day in advance... where's the logic in paying months in advance? The money's just going to go into their account gaining interest for them.

Smasandian
Well, sometimes people have the money to pay for it at that time when preordered.
I personally never preorder any DVD's consdering I never ever seen a store have no stock or sell out. At the major mall, there's probably 4-5 stores around that will carry it, and if not be, there's the same stores about a 5 minute bus ride away.

I only preorder videogames because a:always sell out bembarrasmentnly a few stores sell videogames.

afcw1969
Overstock.com emailed on 7/29 that my order was shipped. The USPS tracking showed that it was already in the Richmond, California facility on July 31. That means that my Alexander theatrical special edition DVD could and most likely will arrive on August 2, 2005 the Release Date itself. I will not have to drive and pay for gas and no tax, just $15.98 plus $1 shipping, total $16.98!!! I get to stay at home sweet home and watch my Alexander in action!

Tonight I re-pre-ordered Alexander Theatrical from Overstock.com which now has the lowest price plus shipping at $15.98 + $1.00. DeepDiscountDVD.com cancelled my pre-order at my request: it was $22.49: not the lowest this time. They would not discount to pre-order pricing as at Amazon.com with $15.98 for Alexander and $2.98 shipping. So Overstock.com is winning my pre-order this time! It will save my time and money so I don't have to go to a retailer for a lower cost, unless they sell for even less which seems unlikely.

Cinemaddiction
Because driving to a store is so taxing. Tell me, do you order your clothes and food online, too? Do you use a catheter bag to go to the bathroom? Do you work from home? Do you EVER leave the house?

I'm asking honest questions, here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.