stephen king vs. edgar allen poe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

b-dan
sorta wired for this topic but anyway who do you think is better they both wriete wired horror stuff but i would go with my fave author stephen king

beta-wolf_101
I have to say King is great horror write but Poe is the true master of horror

kmcdude
King is the only thing I read!

MichaelMyerscoo
Poe is the master of Horror. He made detective stories famous not to mention that Poe could take your mind on trips and there is no stopping him.

MildPossession
I would read Poe over King anyday.

Wolfie
I think it's comparing apples with oranges. King writes novels. Poe wrote poetry and short stories.

tpaquin
Is H. P. Lovecraft nothing?!

Impediment
Poe is classic, King is readable, but Richard Matheson is, by far, my favorite. I also agree with TPaquin about H.P. Lovecraft. Another underrated author. And just F.Y.I., my favorite Poe stories are The Back Cat, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Tell Talel Heart. I also love Hell House, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, and I Am Legend by Matheson. The only novels I like by Stephen King are The Stand, IT, Pet Sematary, Skelton Crew, and Different Seasons.

LepperFace15
They need to make "The Cask of Amontallado"

b-dan
wow i forgot i made this thread this is a old thread i made

T.M
The Raven by Poe is my favourite poem ever so i say Poe

danagrint
stephan king

jOHN_Anderton
To compare a hack like king to a genius like poe only reveals someones, shall we say, less than adequate schooling. laughing out loud As a scholar of all things Poe, I would be personally offended by such a stupid comparison if I wasn't so amused as well! laughing

Right.

Btw, this forum has totally lame ass smilies! Good god, talk about slumming!

ADarksideJedi
Poe is the best.JM

SelphieT
Originally posted by Wolfie
I think it's comparing apples with oranges. King writes novels. Poe wrote poetry and short stories. Originally posted by tpaquin
Is H. P. Lovecraft nothing?!

I agree with you guys. Don't compare Edgar Allan Poe to Stephen King. Their writing styles are TOTALLY different. Edgar Allan Poe was around in the 1800s, correct me if I'm wrong, and here is Stephen King, modern day.

Edgar Allan Poe was more psychological, while Stephen King is....I have no idea.

I'm reading It, by Stephen King right now, and its a wonderful book so far. Yet, I cannot compare that to any of Edgar Allan Poe's stories because they are SO DIFFERENT!

SelphieT
Originally posted by T.M
The Raven by Poe is my favourite poem ever so i say Poe I like Annabell Lee, thats my favorite smile

Röland
Poe played with your head while King loves to just throw it all at you, and overwhelm you with everything that is happening. These things also usually turn out to be unsettling things.

I think they're both great in their own styles.

Selphie read the Dark Tower series. NOW! mad stick out tongue

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by jOHN_Anderton
To compare a hack like king to a genius like poe only reveals someones, shall we say, less than adequate schooling. laughing out loud As a scholar of all things Poe, I would be personally offended by such a stupid comparison if I wasn't so amused as well! laughing

Right.

Btw, this forum has totally lame ass smilies! Good god, talk about slumming!

I really enjoyed much of King's books, but haven't read Poe yet (shame shame). I'm most interested in getting to know his work, what would be a good book from him to start with?

Röland
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
I really enjoyed much of King's books, but haven't read Poe yet (shame shame). I'm most interested in getting to know his work, what would be a good book from him to start with?

Poe wrote more short stories and poems so your best bet would be to find a book with a collection of his works.

I recommend, The Raven, The Cask of Amontallado, The Tell-tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Pit and the Pendulum.

Pandemoniac
I'll look those up, thanks!
By the way, is that the same Pit & Pendulum on which a similar named movie is based on?
Anyway, it will be a little while before I get in to Poe as I need to read more Dark Tower novels before I touch any other book. No matter how bad Poe makes King look.

Röland
I'm pretty sure that it's the same movie by Hitchcock right?

Dark Tower is a great story, to bad not many King fans like it. Poe doesn't make King look bad, he does mess more with your psyche then what King does but in no way does he make King look bad.

Stephen King is a master storyteller in his own way just like Poe has his own way and style of telling the story.

Pandemoniac
I don't doubt King, I'm a big fan of his work. I love his loose yet detailed, accessible storytelling and narration.
I've just finished part 4 of The Tower and I can't wait to read more.

Röland
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
I don't doubt King, I'm a big fan of his work. I love his loose yet detailed, accessible storytelling and narration.
I've just finished part 4 of The Tower and I can't wait to read more.

Yeah I got hooked on King when I was 10 and read IT, since then I've read every one of his books.

Dark Tower gets very interesting and I don't know if you noticed that characters from other books leak through into The Dark Tower series.

Pandemoniac
Obviously. He did that here and there even in his early pre-tower writings.
But this is to centered around King himself, let's take further talk about only his books to the bookforum.

Röland
Agree, I was hijacking the thread.

deathbycorn
Clive Barker is just as good if not better than the both of them.

Hopefully this Tourted Souls movie happens soon.

That would be so damn evil.

deathbycorn
Originally posted by Wolfie
I think it's comparing apples with oranges. King writes novels. Poe wrote poetry and short stories.
King writes short stories too.

ie. Night Shift

pumas79
they are both brilliant aurthors in their own rights, started reading king when i was about 10 and poe when i was about 12, love both their works,

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.