Do more Crimes take place during Summer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Summer time means so many things. Going to the Beach, Music Concerts, Sports games, Conventions, Trips etc...but does also mean Crime? Do you believe is true that during summer time crime increases and that the most dangerous crimes occur? Is this just another Urban legend or is it true that crime rises during the summer time. What's your take on this issue? Do more crimes take place during summer? If so what really causes to happen (aside from the obvious heat). Is summer time really the season of crime?

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by WindDancer
Summer time means so many things. Going to the Beach, Music Concerts, Sports games, Conventions, Trips etc...but does also mean Crime? Do you believe is true that during summer time crime increases and that the most dangerous crimes occur? Is this just another Urban legend or is it true that crime rises during the summer time. What's your take on this issue? Do more crimes take place during summer? If so what really causes to happen (aside from the obvious heat). Is summer time really the season of crime?

yes Yes to all the questions. Like a certain someone said "Summer Time is the killing season, its hot out this ***** thats a good enough reason".

ragesRemorse
i would say winter, because of christmas.

Fëanor
without further data to correlate whether crime during the summer peaks higher than any other season....i would have to go with the mythos that the heat causes the spike

why? tempers flare when it is hotter outside than it does during the cooler season...or so it seems

then again i could be talkin' outta my bum

FeceMan
With no supporting evidence or data, I'll say yes: it's hotter and kids, without anything to do, are more likely to get into trouble.

Darth Jello
actually, it's because the news reports more crimes during the summer. politicians notice that people care less about politics during the summer so they try not to do anythig too radical until august, therefore there's more filler on wether it be more sensationalist crime stories or more fashion tips and celebrty gossip

Freaky Zeeky
Coco

GCG
In Summer people go on vacation, leaving their houses on their own. Its an invitation for break-ins.

In summer, school is out, so teenagers have more time on their hands, which does lead to crime.

Summer also brings calm seas with it, encouraging drug traffickers to do more trips by boats. It also encourages illegal immigration.

With more tourists on vacation and at the beach, there is an extra supply of things to steal and distracted tourists are the victims.

So yeah, there is more crime logically ;

Why do you ask ? Is Batman going to don his beach gear ? eek!

hotsauce6548
Is this a trick question?

Red Superfly
Wait a minute, winter is the best time to commit crime.

First of all there's christmas, so cars and houses are usually stocked with easily stolen (boxed up and not yet set up) items.

It's also darker. Criminals have an easier time keeping out of witness view under cover of darkness. Add the fact that there's fog, rain etc a lot more in winter, that means their cover is even better.

In summer things stay lit a lot longer around the clock, with only a few hours of proper darkness.

More people are outside to actually witness the crimes take place too.

Reports indicate crime is steady throughout the year, but the actual value of things stolen rises during the winter season.

Imperial_Samura
Depends on the types of crime. In older times winter was a strong time of theft, for some of the reasons mentioned by Red Superfly, and also because it's a time that people can be desperate for things like food, clothing etc. This is a trend that continues in a way until today. Although summer heat can affect people, and I believe some report a few years ago said that physical crimes are slightly more common in summer months.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.