Discussion: Dark Rendevouz by Sean Stewart

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Dark Rendevouz by Sean Stewart

July's Book of the Month

All discussions related to this book should be in this thread. To keep readability of posts, there is no need to use spoilers in your posts unless you feel it is absolutely necessary. Anyone reading the posts in this particular thread must be aware that they may contain spoilers about the plot and characters of the book.

yerssot
I hope to finish this book by the end of the month happy

koolruningz
Excellent book, it gives great insight not only into Yoda and his thoughts but Dooku as well. Dooku is one of my favorite characters so it was cool for me to learn more about his backstory especially his relationship with Yoda.
The secondary characters were really interesting to which is a rare thing in SW books. I especially liked the foreshadowing of Whie's dream where he keeps dreaming of being killed by a Jedi with a blue lightsaber (anyone who's seen ROTS know's who this is), he thinks this means that he will turn to the darkside and be struck down by a righteous Jedi but in fact the opposite is true.
I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the PT characters, there is a little bit of Mace, Palpatine, Obi Wan and Anakin thrown in there to and many hints at what will transpire in ROTS. Also Asajj Ventress is involved in the story quite a bit which is a plus as she is a cool character (certainly more interesting than Grievous IMO).
Hope you all enjoy it as much as i did.

yerssot
yeah, it would have been better if they included Asajj instead of Grievous in ROTS

I know Asajj is EU, but still, would have enjoyed that

Clovie
may i suggest not chosing any more SW books? confused

yerssot
you can't fight the star wars posse evil face

besides, those selections... they get elected but then barely get a talk, I think the ROTS novel got the most messed

Clovie
exactly..
SW ppl are coming here and voting but later they don't bother to talk about the book...

the thread got more posts when it was about anatomy messed

yerssot
says more about the posters than the book wink

koolruningz
Originally posted by Clovie
exactly..
SW ppl are coming here and voting but later they don't bother to talk about the book...

the thread got more posts when it was about anatomy messed

I'd be happy to talk about the book, but i seem to be one of the few that has a. read it or b. willing to discuss it.

yerssot
I wanna discuss it though

koolruningz
Sweet. What did you think of the Padawan characters? Usually i don't enjoy reading about the secondary characters in recent SW books, but Whie and Scout really held my attention. I wonder if Whie is one of the characters shown in the hologram that Obi sees of the Jedi temple slaughter.
One of my favourite parts was when Yoda clouds Dookus mind with thoughts of the past as he sneeks up to Dookus Chateau. It really displays Yoda's level of power and how well he still knows Dooku even though he is now a Sith.

yerssot
I actually have to get there still laughing out loud

I don't finish a book easily, always get occupied with other things
but I had the idea that this book had a lot more layers to it than an average sw book

koolruningz
Sorry if i spoiled any of it for you dude. embarrasment

yerssot
nah, I have read most spoilers anyway already

Clovie
Originally posted by yerssot
says more about the posters than the book wink i know laughing out loud

Originally posted by yerssot
I don't finish a book easily, always get occupied with other things like? eek!

Originally posted by koolruningz
I'd be happy to talk about the book, but i seem to be one of the few that has a. read it or b. willing to discuss it. sowwie. i'm neither a nor b embarrasment

*leaves a thread*

yerssot
work stick out tongue

I'll try my best to read it thumb up

Clovie
what work?

yerssot
well, it aint reading this book wink

Clovie
but a harry potter one? stick out tongue

yerssot
no, of course not, I read quality yes

Clovie
how can you tell if it is quality or not if you haven't read it?

yerssot
cheer intuition, my dear Henderson, cheer intuition and speaking of this book, I'm about to read more in it eek!

Clovie
stirred as you like?

WindDancer
I'm sorry for not keeping you guys updated. But because of certain reasons we going to leave this book as our August Book of the Month. I haven't had the time to look after the forum. But no worries in two weeks I'll start a new suggestion thread for September.

koolruningz
I didnt even realise it was the book of the month, i thought it was just a regular discussion. embarrasment

Clovie
Originally posted by WindDancer
I'm sorry for not keeping you guys updated. But because of certain reasons we going to leave this book as our August Book of the Month. I haven't had the time to look after the forum. But no worries in two weeks I'll start a new suggestion thread for September. oh...sad

it's unfair.

yerssot
I don't mind it, it gives me more time to read it big grin

Clovie
you still didn't finish it? i've read like four books withing last two weeks stick out tongue
(showing of i know bag )

yerssot
yeah but I'm reading other books now, a REAL shame cause what I've read of this was promising

Clovie
why have you started reading the other ones then? confused

yerssot
cause I was obligated

Clovie
during holidays?

yerssot
I'll read it in max two weeks, I promise

Clovie
so you'll still finish it while it's book of the 2 months happy

yerssot
- starting it this wednesday

Clovie
and finishing next sunday? stick out tongue

yerssot
pfew, finally finished this one ...

and I have to say this is by far the BEST star wars book there is.
I always thought the NJO was written for children so I never fully enjoyed those, but this book delves deep into the characters. The only negative thing is that the battle is barely written about and that the amount of humor is to me over the top

koolruningz
Well done. big grin
Yeah its one of my favourite SW books along with Tim Zahn's novels. As l said before i really loved reading about Dooku's history and his relationship with Yoda that was only hinted at in AOTC. What did you think of the secondary characters? I thought they were surprisingly interesting. They was plenty of foreshadowing concerning the events of ROTS, Mace and Palpatines conversation, Whie's dreams of dying and so forth. I hope they continue to write novels with the PT characters in, they're sometimes more insightful than the movies.
Glad you enjoyed it. thumb up

yerssot
Secondary ones? Well, I thought OB1 and Anakin weren't really needed in the book and that they just got in cause of popularity ...
I didn't knew Whie got killed in EpIII confused he's the youngling htat lies dead at Anakins feet in the hologram?

koolruningz
Sorry i should have clarified what i meant by secondary characters, i meant characters the characters like Whie and Scout that dont really have any bearing on the movies.
I really liked the way Whie thought his dream meant that he was going to turn to the darkside and be killed by a Jedi with a blue lightsaber when it really foreshadows Anakins turn and the fact that Whie will be at the temple when Anakin storms it in ROTS.
What did you think of the part where Yoda fills Dookus head with those memories of his childhood so he can sneak up on him? I thought it showed Yoda's knowledge of the force but more importantly how well he still knows Dooku. I really enjoyed how they made Yoda so measly with his money, the way he haggles for hours to get the best price.

yerssot
ah, I gotcha... Though I would not call Scout a secondary character as she practicly was the center point besides Yoda in this one. But I thought she was an excellent character and was worked out very well, you have nothing but sympathy for her. Whie got less attention I thought, so you can understand him but not as good as Scout.

Yeah, at that point you think that Yoda clearly has the best chances and that he uses the Force the best way. A very powerful being as shown in the movies. My only complaint is that the fight was not long at all

koolruningz
All the fights were very briefly touched upon. I would have like to see Asajj involved in the story more and her battle with the 2 masters was very vague. The biggest let down was the final duel between Yoda and Dooku, i felt the whole story had been building up to this and it was over in about half a page.

yerssot
Indeed, a bit of flashing and pushing a bomb away and it was over erm I think this is one of the star wars books that barely talks about the lightsabrefights, still a very important aspect of the franchise... if the writer worked on that, this would have been one of the best novels hands down

koolruningz
Indeed. You can never underestimate how much SW fans love lightsabers.

starwars

yerssot
it's basicly the highlight of every movie... except in ANH...

koolruningz
I can remember seeing ANH for the first time and being in awe of the duel but then that was back in the late 70's. Things have changed so much that even the high paced duels in ROTS were criticised by some. Can you imagine what we'll be demanding to see on the big screen in another 20 yrs?

yerssot
another star wars movie? wink

koolruningz
LOL. We'll be bangin' on the doors of Skywalker ranch with our pitchforks ready for a witch hunt. Or maybe by then LucasFilm will be run by StupidShadow.

yerssot
nah, by then those tv-shows are on their 30th rerun already

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.