How did Mace and Yoda not know that the Sith who killed Qui-Gon was the apprentice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DiamondBullets
Why would the Sith Master ever go on a field mission him-self, much less get wasted by a Padawan?

yerssot
They thought the Sith were extinct for a millenia, at that point, if I'm not mistaken, there were numberous Sith and learners (or I have to brush up on my TPM novel) and now there are only two.
Considering the secretive ways of them, how can they know the master won't go out himself?

DenKi
No they didnt even know the Sith wre alive, they thorght they killed all the Sith 1000 years ago, it was only in episode 1 when they found out the Sith returned and they knew there was going to be two of them because there are always 2

yerssot
they knew at the time of the funeral though

p. skywalker
They said
Yoda : There are always two no more no less, a master and a appretice

mace:but which was killed the master or the appretice?

they did not know which was killed! hence mace's last line..
and thats because the darkside of the force clouds their view, they might have figured that the aprentice was not strong enough yet to take on two Jedi...so the master came.. but it is mainly because of the clouded vision and like it was said the sith have been gone for 1000 yrs.. how could they have known?

Red Superfly
Good point.

Notice how there is NO suspicion as to whether Dooku was the master or not. They just assumed he was a Padawan of some Sith Lord, as opposed to actually being the Sith Lord that trained Maul. How did they know this?

yerssot
at the point TPM finishes, he just left the order out of frustration. So it was clear to the Jedi he couldn't be a Sith

Red Superfly
NJo, I meant when they encounter him in AOTC, especially Yoda.

He ignites his red saber and nobody says "Holy crap, he's a sith - maybe he's the master we've been looking for?" or "Woah, he's a Sith now? Is he the master or the apprentice?"

Vanquish
A few things. First, after encountering Dooku, you would think the Jedi's would assume that Maul was the Sith Lord, and Dooku was his apprentice. They have only seen two siths at that point, and the timeline doesn't match up that Dooku is the Lord and Maul is the apprentice. They must have suspected that Maul was the Sith Lord, and that he convinced Dooku to leave the jedi order and become his apprentice. Only when they found out that Palpatine was the Lord could they know the missing peice. Before that, it's all assumption. But I think it's safe to assume that Maul is the lord, and dooku is apprentice from their point of view.

Secondly though, Maul is dead when Dooku tells obi wan that the senate is under the control of a sith lord. So if Obi thinks he is telling the truth, he has the answer. Neither maul or dooku are the lord. If he thinks he is lying, he just has to assume that Dooku and Maul were the only two I guess.

Lastly, Qui gon was respected as a very powerful jedi. For a sith to take on Qui gon and obi wan at the same time, the jedi's very well could have assumed that it must have been the Lord to do that.

DiamondBullets
Those are good points Vanquish, but Yoda was almost a millenium old and his master probly fought in the Jedi/Sith War. And not only that, wouldn't their holocrons tell them that Sith masters remain in their strongholds, and the apprentice is the errand boy.

Shirotakahashi
Maybe they checked the archives after the funeral, and that is why the Jedi assume what they do in AoTC???
bangin

SithHappens
Originally posted by Shirotakahashi
Maybe they checked the archives after the funeral, and that is why the Jedi assume what they do in AoTC???
bangin

Your sig creeps me out.

Shirotakahashi
ok but back to topic...

Captain REX
I agree with Vanquish; they were assuming things, and Dooku and Palpatine provided the last pieces of the puzzle.

Darth_Janus
This is pretty simple... The Jedi did not make any assumptions. They prefered to keep both options open.

As for Dooku, there is the fact that he told Obi-Wan the senate was being controlled by a dark lord of the sith (And Dooku clearly does not control the senate) and that Dooku was a Jedi master, revered and respected until his disappearance after TPM. For him to have lead a double-life and been the top Sith lord was pretty unreasonable considering Yoda himself was Dooku's master. The idea behind the Jedi's thinking was that a Sith could not exist without being found out by the Jedi... not in their midsts. Of course, they were wrong. Shows you how accurate their intuition was at this time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.