Ouch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ladygrim
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California woman is suing a hospital for wrongful death because her husband fainted and suffered a fatal injury after helping delivery room staff give her a pain-killing injection.

Jeanette Passalaqua, 32, filed the suit against Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and Southern California Permanente Medical Group Inc. in San Bernardino County state court last week.

In June 2004, Passalaqua's husband, Steven Passalaqua, was asked by Kaiser staff to hold and steady his wife while an employee inserted an epidural needle into her back, court papers said.

The sight of the needle caused Steven Passalaqua, 33, to faint and he fell backward, striking his head on an aluminum cap molding at the base of the wall.

Jeanette Passalaqua delivered the couple's second child, a boy, later that day. Steven Passalaqua, however, suffered a brain hemorrhage as a result of his fall and died two days later, the lawsuit said.

The suit seeks unspecified damages related to Steven Passalaqua's death and to Jeanette Passalaqua's emotional distress at being widowed with two young children.

Because Passalaqua was solicited by Kaiser to assist in the epidural, the lawsuit said, the hospital "owed him a duty to exercise reasonable care to prevent foreseeable injuries resulting from his participation."

A spokesman for Oakland, California-based Kaiser Permanente called the death "a tragic accident."

"Some of the allegations in the lawsuit are simply that -- allegations. The legal process is under way and we should respect that," said Kaiser spokesman Jim Anderson.

botankus
Contact the Stella Awards for this one.

Jackie Malfoy
How awful.That hospital should be sused for that.JM

botankus
So what did he slip on as a result of hospital facility negligence? I assume he also was not forced to be there.

I might try fainting and dying when I go see Land of the Dead! I'll hook whoever's with me up with the proper legal papers to retire a millionaire after I'm dead and gone.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by botankus
I might try fainting and dying when I go see Land of the Dead! I'll hook whoever's with me up with the proper legal papers to retire a millionaire after I'm dead and gone. LOL!

ladygrim
laughing out loud

IceWithin
I don't think it's right for this woman to sue the hospital, 'cause yeah it's unprofessional of the hospital staff to ask the father to hold her but it's not like he was forced to...

PVS
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy

yes! they should certainly be sused! SUS THE BASTARDS!

Linkalicious
Wow...she's the one that's about to push something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a lemon and HE's the one that passes out?

I hope the judge throws this out and rules this an act of "natural selection"

Fionnuala
Those crazy American heathens roll eyes (sarcastic)

botankus
For those that have never heard of The Stella Awards, here's the website.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy

It's "sued" not "sused". Did you even read the article? What am I asking? Of course you didn't. You just read the thread title and had an episode of verbal diarrhea, as per usual.

Unless of course you actually believe that the hospital should be sued, then I'd love to hear why you believe that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KharmaDog
It's "sued" not "sused". Did you even read the article? What am I asking? Of course you didn't. You just read the thread title and had an episode of verbal diarrhea, as per usual.

Unless of course you actually believe that the hospital should be sued, then I'd love to hear why you believe that.

She must have read some of it..."Ouch" doesn't really give away a lot....oh and do you seriously doubt that she might actually believe that?

botankus
Maybe she meant to say "shushed." If that was the case, it makes a lot more sense.

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
Maybe she meant to say "shushed." If that was the case, it makes a lot more sense.

Maybe she meant abused...no that wouldn't make sense....hmm maybe "the hosptital shoulds be confused, inleat in my opinion"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.