Obi wan on the Jedi Council?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vanquish
Some things in the movie bother me about that, and i'm wondering if someone with a lot of extended knowledge on it would help out.

1) At the beginning of the movie, the text intro says "two Jedi knights" are dispatched to try to save palpatine or whatever right. But aren't Jedi's on the council automatically Masters? (aside from anakin)

2) Don't Jedi masters graduate from the blue lightsaber? Why does a jedi master who's on the council still use a blue saber? And please don't say no time, or no availability, because even Luke managed that trick to get a green.

3) When obi wan is talking to anakin about spying, he keeps saying the council wants him to do it, and several times says "they" they, instead of "we" we. Then anakin says how can you ask this of me. Obi wan says, the council is asking it. Why is he speaking as if he isn't on it?

unrelated bonus question smile

Obi wan still calls Yoda master in the movie, yet he is supposed to be on the council. Mace and Yoda don't call eachother master, and neither do the other council members to eachother. So is there a ranking system even on the council, and Obi wan being the newest, still has to call everyone else master?

Darth_Rankkor
1) the color of the swords doesn't have nothing to do with ranking
2) Ben refers to "them" because although he's on the council, he didn't chose that and above all else, he's anakin friend and former master.
3) Ben calls yoda master of respect. Yoda IS one of the oldest in the council. Ben (or others) have plenty to learn with yoda (as we see in the end of ROTS)

SpyCspider
uh i think I heard Yoda call Mace "Master Windu" in TPM when they were questioning Qui-Gon's bringinig in of Anakin. Mace was like "bring him before us."

Can you actually picture him calling him Mace?

Red Superfly
1) Knights is a way to describe Jedi in a broader sense.

2) Lightsaber colour means absolutely nothing. Ki-Ad- Mundi can be seen with a blue saber. Also, the younglings in AOTC have multicoloured sabers. It's very odd that you think the colour of the sabers reflects mastery.

3) Obi-Wan feels guilty and is trying to help understand, part of that is attempting to not create a "Me vs you" situation. If he says "they" it indicates that he is on Anakin's side, which he also says himself. It's a considerate way of speaking to him.

As for the Jedi's calling each other master - even the highest ranks do that:

Yoda: "Master Qui Gon - more to say have you?" - TPM.

Just watch the movies, you really don't need to ask these questions.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Red Superfly
1) Knights is a way to describe Jedi in a broader sense.

2) Lightsaber colour means absolutely nothing. Ki-Ad- Mundi can be seen with a blue saber. Also, the younglings in AOTC have multicoloured sabers. It's very odd that you think the colour of the sabers reflects mastery.

3) Obi-Wan feels guilty and is trying to help understand, part of that is attempting to not create a "Me vs you" situation. If he says "they" it indicates that he is on Anakin's side, which he also says himself. It's a considerate way of speaking to him.

As for the Jedi's calling each other master - even the highest ranks do that:

Yoda: "Master Qui Gon - more to say have you?" - TPM.

Just watch the movies, you really don't need to ask these questions.

Exactly. About the sabers color, I've read somewhere that they are like that because of some crystals. The sith always have red blades because their crystals are syntethic. smile

Vanquish
Thx superfly, all 4 answered to my total satisfaction. Man, that never happens on this forum.

But the last bit... not really happy with the critisism. I could probably come back with a something like "instead of watching the movies 100 times over again and reading EU books like you, I'd rather actually get laid in my life, and ask a forum the things I don't understand" I love star wars, but I don't LIVE star wars, get it?

But thx for the answers none the less smile

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Vanquish
Thx superfly, all 4 answered to my total satisfaction. Man, that never happens on this forum.

But the last bit... not really happy with the critisism. I could probably come back with a something like "instead of watching the movies 100 times over again and reading EU books like you, I'd rather actually get laid in my life, and ask a forum the things I don't understand" I love star wars, but I don't LIVE star wars, get it?

I wasn't criticising you, I was just saying the answers are there in the movies.

I haven't seen TPM in ages and I don't like AOTC much at all, but somehow I remember those things well enough to answer the questions.

Vanquish
I'm not going to argue with you over star wars geekdom ya know. I obviously asked because I didn't know. The saber colour thing, I always thought that blue was for knights, and green, or purple as in windu's case was for masters. I also didn't recall the council ever calling eachother master until your example and now it refreshed my memory.

I've been on the forum long enough, and debated with you on certain things long enough for you to know one thing about me. I'll debate star wars with anyone, and probably to some great length and regardless of what you might think I do know it pretty well. But as soon as you border on insulting me about a movie on a forum, I will just think your a fuking dik and leave.

Peace smile

Red Superfly
But I wasn't insulting you.......

Darth_Rankkor
please. please. let's shake hands here and stay in limits of decency. Do you guys (not only you two) need ALWAYS to start a "fight"? I wonder if all the forum members were to meet face to face.

Vanquish
No you didn't say that my mom is a fuking whore, but you did take your answer one little step further and give me an intentional little "dig" like you always do. Like I said, border on insulting. You always talk this way, not only to me, but to everyone. You will give your answers, and then at the end, you will do what you did. Make it clear, with a subtle comment, that you know best or something.

Call me crazy, but i'd appreciate you just answer the questions and be on your way. Unless of course it is a rediculously stupid thread, then by all means flame away. smile

BTW: talking about meeting in real life? Don't you know everyone on this forum and on the internet for that matter is 6' 4" and 230 pounds, and is a black belt in Ju-jitsu? It's the same concept as everyone on the internet looks like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt smile

Tulak Hord
Actually, for the saber colors, KOTOR, It being the EU that it is, has a great cover up for the Saber colors. The Jedi Guardians, Sentinals, and Counsilors(SP?) Guardians, who prefer fighting, use blue crystals. Sentinals use yellow. And Counsilors, who prefer negotiation and only fight as a last resort, use green. Look at them. Qui-Gon used negotiation, Yoda liked to do that too. But Obi-Wan and Anakin, they sliced first, asked later. Even tho it's EU, I think it's Canon.

Red Superfly
No you didn't say that my mom is a fuking whore, but you did take your answer one little step further and give me an intentional little "dig" like you always do. Like I said, border on insulting. You always talk this way, not only to me, but to everyone. You will give your answers, and then at the end, you will do what you did. Make it clear, with a subtle comment, that you know best or something.

Call me crazy, but i'd appreciate you just answer the questions and be on your way. Unless of course it is a rediculously stupid thread, then by all means flame away. smile

BTW: talking about meeting in real life? Don't you know everyone on this forum and on the internet for that matter is 6' 4" and 230 pounds, and is a black belt in Ju-jitsu? It's the same concept as everyone on the internet looks like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt smile

OK dude, you need to chill out a little. It's just an internet forum.

DenKi
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
Actually, for the saber colors, KOTOR, It being the EU that it is, has a great cover up for the Saber colors. The Jedi Guardians, Sentinals, and Counsilors(SP?) Guardians, who prefer fighting, use blue crystals. Sentinals use yellow. And Counsilors, who prefer negotiation and only fight as a last resort, use green. Look at them. Qui-Gon used negotiation, Yoda liked to do that too. But Obi-Wan and Anakin, they sliced first, asked later. Even tho it's EU, I think it's Canon.

If what you say is true, it's extremely interesting to find this out

General Zodiac

You don't have to wtach the movie 100 times. It's common sense. Ben in ANH had a blue lightsaber and he had 20 years of free time. Mace has a purple what does that make him? Can't be the highest cause that's Yoda.

Vanquish
It's not really common sense at all, hence my question in the first place. Of course I know obi wan doesn't use green, that's why i'm asking dude. Your ANH example means nothing, because same question, why blue?

I was always under the impression that Siths use Red, Masters use green, knights use blue, and Windu is an exception somehow with purple.

I was wrong. I guess as you guys are saying, some masters still use blue, and obi wan is one of them.

I asked a question, and I got an answer, enough said. Saying it's common sense is just going to egg me on further. The thing about forums is that some people know what others don't. I'm sure there are things that you know that I don't, and some things that I know that you don't. It doesn't mean we have to draw attention to it.

Like I said, unless it's a fuking rediculous question, just answer it and be on your way. Thx for the help smile

Lana
Sith do use red. Otherwise, the color doesn't mean anything but the Jedi's personal preference. Were I a Jedi, I'd probably use a purple saber, myself *shrugs*

DiamondBullets
Actually, for the saber colors, KOTOR, It being the EU that it is, has a great cover up for the Saber colors. The Jedi Guardians, Sentinals, and Counsilors(SP?) Guardians, who prefer fighting, use blue crystals. Sentinals use yellow. And Counsilors, who prefer negotiation and only fight as a last resort, use green.

True that! But that was in ancient times before the central temple on Coruscant and the "one Padawan at a time" rule. Back then the Jedi had training academies and libraries all over the galaxy, before they reorganized.

And the Jedi have always customized their blade, like a ricer customizez his wheels.

OJO: Yoda= very small sabre
Mace Windu= purple blade and a hilt with gold decals
Kit Fisto= water-proof lightsabre
Tyvokka= wooden hilt

NJO: Corran Horn: purple or silver, depending on length adjustment
Tenel Ka= rainbow blade and a rancor-tooth hilt

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Lana
Sith do use red. Otherwise, the color doesn't mean anything but the Jedi's personal preference. Were I a Jedi, I'd probably use a purple saber, myself *shrugs*

Orange baby!!! big grin

Lana
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
Orange baby!!! big grin

Ironically enough, Rianna, my Star Wars character (she's a fallen Jedi), uses a purple saber and an orange saber laughing

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Lana
Ironically enough, Rianna, my Star Wars character (she's a fallen Jedi), uses a purple saber and an orange saber laughing

Rianna has very good taste. stick out tongue

Not that you would know Lana(ms. no attention span) stick out tongue I have always had a thing for orange lightsabers. big grin

bilb
Even tho it's EU, I think it's Canon.

Erm.. no.. not at all..

Canon is canon and EU is EU and never the twain shall meet (except in the EU forum of course stick out tongue)

As far as canon goes there are 4 colors and 4 colors ONLY.. blue, green, purple (of which there is only one) and red (used exclusively for sith)

smile

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
And the Jedi have always customized their blade, like a ricer customizez his wheels.
It's really like the only thing they indulge in. They wear hobo clothes and ride the bus but check out the ice on that saber!

viking12344
We all know Mace uses a purple blade because Vapod(sp?) requires him to flirt with the darkside to work it correctly.
blue+red=purple. Its perfect.

Actually, we don't all know, I just made it up but it makes sense.

Darth_Rankkor
As you can see in my avatar (yeah that's me) I use a red one WOOT WOOT WOOT

bilb
Originally posted by viking12344
We all know Mace uses a purple blade because Vapod(sp?) requires him to flirt with the darkside to work it correctly.
blue+red=purple. Its perfect.

Actually, we don't all know, I just made it up but it makes sense.

yeah that theory has been around for a while, nothing official mind you but i think its cool

'flirting with the darkside' .. LOVE IT!! i smell a new siggy stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
uhh... Mace has a purple lightsaber because Jackson asked George for a purple lightsaber, nothing more.

mysterio69
and what sam jackson wants, sam jackson gets. because nobody else could've done a better job as mace... huh

Darth Zenemij
... Beacuse Mace was a horrible char...

bilb
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
uhh... Mace has a purple lightsaber because Jackson asked George for a purple lightsaber, nothing more.

I know that silly!! but i still like the explanation stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
Yeah, it's fun reading too deep into stuff... stick out tongue

((The_Anomaly))

Then go read the forum policy, its not canon.

according to the movies colour of the blades is of personal preferance, nothing more.

anything else is EU.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.