China the Next Superpower

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Recently I have been hearing that China is going to be the next great country of the world. Some even think that China will become more powerful than the US within a short amount of time. Anyone think this is true?

DarkCanadian
US'd be too paranoid about it and spread nasty propaganda about it if it is.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Recently I have been hearing that China is going to be the next great country of the world. Some even think that China will become more powerful than the US within a short amount of time. Anyone think this is true?

duhh......the fall of Capitalism is at hand...

DarkCrawler
Year 2015 it will be the next superpower.

Tex
I dunno, its economy is expanding at an amazing rate and its middle class will soon have enough purchasing power to match that of the US' middle class. However, the vast majority of the country is extremely poor and very underdeveloped. China isn't a prominent player in foreign affairs, and given its communist government, along with its human rights violations and lack of freedoms, severely hinder its chances at reaching superpower status.

Imperial_Samura
But then for a long time the USSR managed to be a super power along side the U.S., so anything is possible...

And in a fashion the world has changed a bit military might is being usurped by economic/productive power, and by all accounts China is on the fast track to becoming an economic superpower...

Echuu
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
But then for a long time the USSR managed to be a super power along side the U.S., so anything is possible...

Managed is the key word there. Then they imploded. When Communism and Capatilism go head to head the free peoples usually have an edge. I'm not trying to be arrogent and I think that anything is possible but you have to remember that history repeats itself.

Imperial_Samura
True, true, but really China is Communist in name only, any resemblance to the real ideology, or even that of the USSR's form of communism is far closer to being cosmetic. But then who knows, if China does gain that coveted title of "Superpower" it is quite possible it will fall just like Russia did. But then that is, in the long run, the fate of all Superpowers, be it from Rome up to and one day in the distant future probably including the U.S and everything that follows.

The Omega

Imperial_Samura
That's it exactly. Economy and culture is gradually replacing military might as the defining influence in the world, and China is well placed to exploit both.

IceWithin

jaden101

China's success of late is partly due to their willingness to overlook certain corruption problems in Africa in order to invest...the middle east and south america are already pretty much exploited to the hilt by america and Europe...in order to get a jump on them, China has overlooked such atrocities as those happening in Sudan in order to gain capital investment...it was with Chinese money that many of the Sudanese governments new embassys and other building were funded...the Chinese are also responsible for supplying the technology and manpower to build and operate Africa's first oil refinery

not to mention that some countries in the north west of Africa are covered in Chinese themed hotels as they were the first to invest in the post conflict sierra leone for example

so yes

China will most likely be the next big economic superpower

but dont mistake that for military superpower...which they already are....far more powerful than Russia...perhaps even more powerful than the Soviet Union was as a whole

§P0oONY

China have been gaining economic power and will of course will become the next great super power...

They have resources, land and population of their side

Fishy
Yeah China will be the next one, the US will fall like every other superpower then China will fall and another one will take over. If things continue like this there is a pretty good chance that the US will be more like Russia on the economic market in a few years time.

Some country's are being idiots however, the EU for instance wants to drop a few things that make it harder to trade with China. Which is now going threw India (who signed like a million treaty's with China) the US wants to stop Europe from doing it, can't really blame them China sucks for the US. Japan is ignoring China on a few things really big mistake something that they really shouldn't do. I guess that will all change soon enough though, in a few years time China will be the biggest power in the world.

AdventChild
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Year 2015 it will be the next superpower.

actually by the year 2012 it will be...

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Echuu
Managed is the key word there. Then they imploded. When Communism and Capatilism go head to head the free peoples usually have an edge. I'm not trying to be arrogent and I think that anything is possible but you have to remember that history repeats itself.

Exactly.

Imperial_Samura
Perhaps, but then the question isn't what will happen if it becomes a superpower, but "will" it become one. And there is no evidence to believe it wont. After all, the negative aspects of the USSR didn't stop it from becoming one, so there is no reason to believe that things like humanitarian issues would stand in the way of China becoming one, nor it's so called Communist status. Indeed many nations through out history have subscribed to the "might makes right" ideal.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by whobdamandog

China IS a capitalist country.

alcoholicpoet
Originally posted by Darth Revan
China IS a capitalist country.

No, it's communist, ever heard of Mao-Tse-Tung?

Imperial_Samura
Communist in name only, that ideology has been radically altered by China. After all, one of their most dominant features is their economy, not something usually associated with a true Communist nation (not that any really existed)

WindDancer
China huh?! Well, I think The People's Republic of China is a very high cultural and economic resoursful (sp?) nation. But in reality (whether you agree or not) Japan is the real superpower economically in Asia. I don't think neither government would want one of their competitors so close to their territory. And in reality the Western nations do favor the Japanese over the Chinese when it comes to trade and business. That is the reason you see China opening more to the rest of the world. They learn their lesson from the Soviet Union that there is no point in being secluded from other nations. Is better to be open and join the large global market than to stick to some corrupt ideology of communist propaganda.

debbiejo
The mentality in China is disturbing..

mr.smiley
I've herd North Korea actualy has a bigger army than China now.Don't know if it's true though.

debbiejo
Lots of males in China though......they abort most girls....prefer boys....huge military now.

supatroopa286
yeah, i think China is the only country in the world that has even a slight chance at mounting a succesful invasion of the U.S. they have the 2nd largest navy in the world, and have so many guys that it's like 1 gun for every 5 men. Also, think of how much stuff we need China to make. if they just stop making it, and use all that cheap labor to make military weapons, they will deffinitely be a superpower. i woouldn't be surprised if in the next century there was a Chinese conquest of Asia.

IceWithin
Originally posted by WindDancer
China huh?! Well, I think The People's Republic of China is a very high cultural and economic resoursful (sp?) nation. But in reality (whether you agree or not) Japan is the real superpower economically in Asia. I don't think neither government would want one of their competitors so close to their territory. And in reality the Western nations do favor the Japanese over the Chinese when it comes to trade and business. That is the reason you see China opening more to the rest of the world. They learn their lesson from the Soviet Union that there is no point in being secluded from other nations. Is better to be open and join the large global market than to stick to some corrupt ideology of communist propaganda.

I agree, and yeah so far Japan hsa been the economic superpower in Asia, but that's gonna change, China is growing more foreigners are coming every day here it's just a matter of time before China's economy beats the hell out of Japan's.

Grand Moff Gav,
Originally posted by whobdamandog

if it grows the same thing will happen as to what happened to the USSR

IceWithin
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav,
if it grows the same thing will happen as to what happened to the USSR

It will fall, yes but it won't be in the same way than the soviet union

Grand Moff Gav,
Originally posted by IceWithin
It will fall, yes but it won't be in the same way than the soviet union

Communisium cant work in the world capatilism is the only way foward for china

jaden101
Originally posted by debbiejo
Lots of males in China though......they abort most girls....prefer boys....huge military now.

good point...seems relatively benign but many biologists think that what they doing is causing serious genetic problems for the future

Grand Moff Gav,
The Chinese have the biggest army and air force in the world

Deano
http://www.rense.com/general67/topch.htm

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav,
The Chinese have the biggest army and air force in the world

Yeah, but fortunately for the world, they threw the Russians out before they were properly taught how to use them, like the Libyans did to the Russian military advisors. But they made protoypes of the weapons the Soviets afforded them, and very good ones apprently.

There's been some talk of Chinese\Russian military exercises on the border, and I was wondering if any of you had heard about this or not?
There also seems to be some refitting and upgrade of both armies as well, and it only makes me wonder if there's going to be a second shot at Communism with the lessons well learned from the failures of the past.

ragesRemorse
excluding the pussy army, japan is the next superpower.

RedAlertv2
I read about the Chinese air force in a nonfiction book by Clancy, and apparently the Chinese air force, though seeminlgy strong, is so thinly supplied and manned that it could only operate at maximum effectiveness for about four days. But that was a few years ago, things might have changed now.

Ushgarak
China is a country in information denial. It does not follow a recognisable form of capitalism, even though it is starting to introduce the concept of market forces. But whilst it remains a society whose leaders insist upon the control of information, it will not achieve proper superpower status in today's world.

The riposte to the question "What can stop China now?" is pretty simple- China can.

Fishy
Originally posted by Ushgarak
China is a country in information denial. It does not follow a recognisable form of capitalism, even though it is starting to introduce the concept of market forces. But whilst it remains a society whose leaders insist upon the control of information, it will not achieve proper superpower status in today's world.

The riposte to the question "What can stop China now?" is pretty simple- China can.

You think so? I think China is being brilliant, they just have to limit their growth otherwise it will come crashing down hard eventually.

But the biggest weakness of Communism is being removed by the way China acts now, and the leaders still have the advantages of it. They are being smart, who cares if its a new system. It could work very well, it has so far.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
excluding the pussy army, japan is the next superpower.

Well the army they have is just their defense force and not an actual army. At the end of WW2, general McArthur made it a condition for surrender, that the Japanese allow occupational forces in Japan in post WW2. As for being pussies, not so sure about that-a Marine buddy of mine said he saw a 60 some year old JDF soldier take down a guy who was 6'2 with just a baton, and he hit him 6 or 7 times before he knew what hit him. but being you're talking actual military conflict, yeah you have a valid point because they're a reactionary defense force and not an offensive one.

supatroopa286
have you guys ever seen how many things say "made in china"? what would happen if they stopped making those things, and used all that cheap labor to produce tanks, weapon, and planes?

Jackie Malfoy
I somehow doubt it that China would be like that.JM

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Fishy
You think so? I think China is being brilliant, they just have to limit their growth otherwise it will come crashing down hard eventually.

But the biggest weakness of Communism is being removed by the way China acts now, and the leaders still have the advantages of it. They are being smart, who cares if its a new system. It could work very well, it has so far.

You cannot both be capitalist AND hold your people in a tight information grip as China does. One contradicts the other. The clash will come.

Fishy
Why? They are giving their people more freedom in a slow way, just not giving them the right to vote in essence. Basically becoming a capatalist dictatorship named Communism, it does not makes sence but if it works for them it works.

Maya Zurak
Yes, it can be.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Fishy
Why? They are giving their people more freedom in a slow way, just not giving them the right to vote in essence. Basically becoming a capatalist dictatorship named Communism, it does not makes sence but if it works for them it works.

Or the right of information. Capitalism both feeds upon and demands such freedoms- and don't kid yourself; China is not what we would recognise as a capitalist country. Honng Kong is a capitalist area and that gets suppressed.

Capitalism MUST be free to work proerly. China is not. It won't work.

((The_Anomaly))
I think China will be the next super power.

and i seriously hope the US dosent try to do anything stupid with them in the near future because of it.

Imperial_Samura
It would be difficult to find a way to do anything to China, by the US or any other Western power, as it is something of a major part of Western economy and structure. The loss of China would have quite a bad effect on the Global community, unlike the USSR. Add to this the fact that the US has a serious debt to China (as China is one of the big money lenders of modern times with Britain, Saudi Arabia and Japan), which could, if conflict breaks out, lead to serious instability to the global economy as a whole, and in specific the US economy.

And if the US economy goes bad... well it means bad things for the West of the Western world.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
It would be difficult to find a way to do anything to China, by the US or any other Western power, as it is something of a major part of Western economy and structure. The loss of China would have quite a bad effect on the Global community, unlike the USSR. Add to this the fact that the US has a serious debt to China (as China is one of the big money lenders of modern times with Britain, Saudi Arabia and Japan), which could, if conflict breaks out, lead to serious instability to the global economy as a whole, and in specific the US economy.

And if the US economy goes bad... well it means bad things for the West of the Western world.

Speaking of loans, China never repaid the Soviets for the loan they gave them during the Korean war, as China basically gave Russia the finger and later threw the Soviets out in the 1968 split.

As far as possible future scenarios..

Whose to say that China and N. Korea wouldn't link up and swarm into S.Korea and drive out the Western forces who are too small in number to stop them? Western forces are driven into the S. China sea or the Korean peninsula and either totally eliminated or let go with the understanding they are not to return.

From there, Korea is once again joined together, but as a Communist state, and Chinese peacekeepers are used to stabilize the area while the Koreans are fed and educated as the new Korea becomes a powerful puppet state capable of standing on it's own if need be while they win the favor of the people. "Hearts and minds" as it were.

Or, China could mobilize and finish the Russians and then set their sights for the oil rich low countries and eventually into Persia and Iran, and we could see a total takeover of the northern gulf as the United Arab Emirates sweat bullets that they might be next. While the Persian forces are occupied, Chinese commando teams slip thru the back door of the Russian\Iranian border and take over all the nuke facilities and blackmail Iran as well as threatening the West if they refuse to capitualte to their demands. Nukes and oil..China is set for anyone who dares defy them.

Just some thoughts, and it's not like their army isn't big enough.

Bicnarok

Dagons Blade

manny321
True give China a few years and it will be a strong miltray because all of the US secrets are being stolen. Imo never mess with a country with Nukes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.