Why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Royal Knight
I have a question...

Why do we take life for granted?

I mean in a second a person's life can change just like that

Being diagnosed with a fatal disease, or something that will change your life forever...

I have noticed people waste their lives, even me...

pr1983
I had a near fatal disease and still take shit for granted... yay me...

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by Royal Knight

I dunno, you tell me.

Red Superfly
In order to take risks we must take some things for granted in order to not care about losing them.

If we appreciated every little thing then we'd never want to lose it, and never take risks.

As a human species we are programmed to take things for granted.

Royal Knight
I have a chronic disease I have to live with for the rest of my life...

Like a ticking time bomb inside of me...

Before my life seemed so simple...now that I have this I try not to take life for granted

FeceMan
Why? Because we have a thread titled "dog penis" and it hasn't been deleted for stupidity.

Royal Knight, what's your 'ticking time bomb'? Is it by any chance HIV? (Sorry to pry, just wondering.)

Royal Knight
Originally posted by FeceMan
Why? Because we have a thread titled "dog penis" and it hasn't been deleted for stupidity.

Royal Knight, what's your 'ticking time bomb'? Is it by any chance HIV? (Sorry to pry, just wondering.)

No it isn't HIV

But it is an immunity disease

Freaky Zeeky
No it isn't HIV

But it is an immunity disease

Cardiac disease?

GCG
Its Cancer

Freaky Zeeky
Hmmm

Bardock42
The thing is what is a meaningful life?.....

KidRock
*points to philosophy forum* Right this way folks.

Clovie
I have a chronic disease I have to live with for the rest of my life...

Like a ticking time bomb inside of me...

Before my life seemed so simple...now that I have this I try not to take life for granted
Are you getting any treatment?

piccola_nuvola
Maybe we take life for granted, because we've always had it (since we were born)....we know one day we will die (that's from the experience of other ppl who've died) but we always think that day will be too far...unless something unexpected happens.

And anyway, ppl don't die just of diseases or because they're old. One normal day, you take the train to go to work ... and you die, because some stupid freak likes bombs...

Bardock42
Originally posted by piccola_nuvola
Maybe we take life for granted, because we've always had it (since we were born)....we know one day we will die (that's from the experience of other ppl who've died) but we always think that day will be too far...unless something unexpected happens.

I can't believe it...you juswt said what Martin Heidegger said on more than 300 pages......

piccola_nuvola
LOL....wow!

...and I haven't even read that Martin guy...

whirlysplat
I feel for you Royal Knight, I hope that any treatment you are having works and is successful. Why we take it for granted? I guess opportunity and energy. We should do more with life, I know I should.

Bardock42
Originally posted by piccola_nuvola
LOL....wow!

...and I haven't even read that Martin guy...

Oh you don't want to...it is absolutely unable to understand him really.....he talks just to talk...I hate him....

IceWithin
Originally posted by Clovie

I doubt he wants this thread to go that way clovs erm

And I don't know why we underestimate life, it's just that we feel that life will always be there for us, until we grow old or we're diagnosed with a fatal disease...

Clovie
Originally posted by IceWithin
I doubt he wants this thread to go that way clovs erm

And I don't know why we underestimate life, it's just that we feel that life will always be there for us, until we grow old or we're diagnosed with a fatal disease... i guess you're right.
let's say there was no question.

and life is not granted. it is a gift you have and you have to be aware that it may end in every particular moment. ermm..it is what i do theoretically believe in.. but i noticed that i'm placing 'any particular moment' somewhere in the far future

jaden101
I have a question...

I mean in a second a person's life can change just like that

Being diagnosed with a fatal disease, or something that will change your life forever...

I have noticed people waste their lives, even me...

because if you sat and marvelled at how amazing being alive is...you would never actual do anything worth eing alive for

bilb
or conversely if you sat around all day worrying about how quickly everything can be taken from you, you would be paralyzed with fear

jaden101
indeed

FeceMan
Originally posted by GCG
Its Cancer
Cancer != immunity disease.
Cardiac disease != immunity disease.

And I see a certain thread was closed smile.

Royal Knight
Originally posted by Clovie

Nope I stopped taking the meds

Originally posted by GCG
Its Cancer

No.

Royal Knight
Can we please keep this on topic...

And One last time I do not have cancer...

Now that we have this settled...
'
to answer kidrock on the first page..

I did not want to put it in the philosophy forum

debbiejo

laughing out loud

Your right!!!!!!!

I used to take life for granite, but not anymore.......I got rid of all the crap and ..............................Have a good time!

See my medication IS working.......

FeceMan
Originally posted by debbiejo
laughing out loud

Your right!!!!!!!

I used to take life for granite, but not anymore.......I got rid of all the crap and ..............................Have a good time!

See my medication IS working.......
I took life for granite once, but then I hit rock bottom.

(Oh, dear, now that's a real knee-slapper.)

Royal Knight: Um...I suppose not taking one's medication is a way for one to speak out against taking life for granted.

Why do we take life for granted? Because, as of now, it's a right. Wait until abortion becomes legal and then we might start worrying...just a little bit. Not too much, though.

Linkalicious
Because we're too busy not taking other things for granted like Starbucks and McDonalds.

Why worry about something petty like "our lives" when there are serious things to worry about like super sizing.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Linkalicious
Because we're too busy not taking other things for granted like Starbucks and McDonalds.

Why worry about something petty like "our lives" when there are serious things to worry about like super sizing.
I had Wendy's last night. I was disappointed with myself for doing so.

MC Mike
Usually we take things for granted in the pursuit of happiness.

I'd rather die happy at 15 then live to 60 and be sad because of some premature tragedy like a love (not 'loved one') dying...

Royal Knight
I had Wendy's last night. I was disappointed with myself for doing so.

if you want to go off topic, there is an off topic forum ok

thank you

Royal Knight
Originally posted by MC Mike
Usually we take things for granted in the pursuit of happiness.

I'd rather die happy at 15 then live to 60 and be sad because of some premature tragedy like a love (not 'loved one') dying...

Yeah we are all guilty of that

FeceMan
if you want to go off topic, there is an off topic forum ok

thank you
I was taking my ability to digest such disgusting food and not gain weight for granted. I was also taking my heart for granted.

Sadako of Girth
I feel its like Bilb and Jaden said at the top of this page,
Life is so full of detail that to marvel at it in its entirety would require such depth of thought that we would eventually have to forgoe our most basic routines... When we confront this issue due to a sudden sense of a ticking clock or something, we then afford our thinking to this because little else matters anymore.. appreciating what we have lost is our speciality as a species and also what we fear/expect losing soon by way of extension there too..our priorities suddenly go from the external routines/priorities and onto a more introverted review of the things we had previously put to the back of our minds out of neccessity to try to achive what we feel are our goals... which can be either the things we all would have loved to have done, or the things we regret doing...

Either way... The time we get allocated is never enough to one with a curious mind, and sometimes a sharp reminder of our mortality can suddenly reshift our priorities, thats for sure..

I think its a healthy thing to make this shift so that we can evolve and gain a wider perspective.

debbiejo
It's because we're in too much of a hurry and cram our lives with too many things....Though I never take my relationships with people for granted....never ever have.....

I took life for granite once, but then I hit rock bottom.

(Oh, dear, now that's a real knee-slapper.)

Yeah....I know.....and wasn't even stoned..... big grin

§pearhead
People take life for granted because it's all they know. It's human nature to assume that you're invincible, until something bad happens...be it life threatning injury/event, or...terminal illness. erm It's ours, and nothing can take it away; until we realize that yes, we won't live forever.

I'll admit it. I take life for granted. And I'm not ashamed in admitting it. I've yet to experience something that made me feel like I had to grab hold to it, and I hope it'll be a while before something like that happens to make me open my eyes.

On a side note, John...holy shit man. I had no idea...kinda at a loss for words here...

Royal Knight

Royal Knight
I was taking my ability to digest such disgusting food and not gain weight for granted. I was also taking my heart for granted.

What talking about eating at Wendy's is relevant to the topic at hand???

§pearhead
God forbid you try to have a serious discussion here...

Actually, in response to MC Mike (whom I haven't seen in a long time, hey man), I'm inclined to agree with you.

Royal Knight

§pearhead
You want sad, look at the OTF now messed this place has gotten bad.

Which is actually the reason I haven't been here too too often recently.

I'm actually doing fairly well now...had a great day at work, mainly because there were no customers today, we just sat up front talking away...really makes those six and a half hour long shifts not so long big grin

Royal Knight

Royal Knight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.