Can't they do one Batman movie without a love interest?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
Pretty much every Batman movie up to this point, even Phantasm, has had a love interest in it who learns Batman's secret identity. I wish Begins didn't have a love interest. Originally I thought it was too dark to spend the movie talking about something as frivolous as that, but then bam the chick from Dawson's Creek or Party of Five or whatever it was is in it. Batman isn't supposed to fall in love, dammit.

Max Spidey 24
Well its better than Spiderman movie, when Spidey drooling over mary jane instead of saving the world, but you would probaly do the same.

NoFate007
I'd love it, and I think it would make me like BB even better than how much I already do, if they don't do a love interest anymore for the next 2 movies.

With the filler space about Rachel's character, they could spend between the friendship of Dent and Bruce, and use that as the "sacrificial lamb" type of character. That's the emotional connection. I don't think Bruce should love anybody now, unless they do Selina Kyle, which they most likely won't. Until then, I think the only women that play in the movies should be either someone he's pimping out or someone who has no romantic connection to him.

Don't make the mistake of having a VV, a SK, a CM and then using some chick as "oh this is his gf...she's worthless in the plot by the way".

dawsey28
Wasn't Rachel an amalgamation of Harvey Dent and Selina Kyle? Didn't Goyer have to take Kyle out of the script due to the Catwoman movie?

DarkAge
That's the whole thing. There was no need to have a woman in the movie in the first place. And I agree that Wayne's friendship with Dent would have been a better "Bruce Wayne" relationship to focus on.

Red Superfly
Catwoman is the only one that matters anyways.

They need to bring in Selina Kyle. Catwoman would work so well in the Begins world.

Either her or Talia considerring who Begins' main villain is.

Bardock42
Hmm this time actually a Talia love thingy would have been great...and its ok as long as they don't do it in the next too...I didn't mind it this time actually.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Catwoman is the only one that matters anyways.

They need to bring in Selina Kyle. Catwoman would work so well in the Begins world.

Either her or Talia considerring who Begins' main villain is.

A Talia thing would be excellent, but....shouldn't it have taken place BEFORE him meeting Ra's? Also, i don't think many new Batman fans know who she is....

~wickerman~

munkiesarus
I think we can safely say Halle Berry won't be popping up as Catwoman. She ruined the character, but that movie heavily played on the "There's a whole line of Catwomen in history, meow" and they can show a new Kyle in the next Batman flick, without ever going into detail about the cats choosing women to fight crime.

And without that lame mysticism, Selina could totally be this awesome thief. A cool leather uniform will be nice, but I'm not too big of a fan of Jim Lee drawing those HUGE goggles on her.

I suppose they always throw in a damsel in distress because they need something for the girlfriends who are dragged to the theater to enjoy. Now I don't support this, so don't be like "OMGWTFF THAS SO STUPID", but its somewhat true. The new Batman flicks are pretty much dark, and love interests do not fit in well. Heck they could even take it out, as us fanboys would see the film with or without their girlfriends. And that's even with me avoiding the stereotypical we're all fat fanboys who live in our Mother's basement.

vaya_the_elf
Well if they did not have a love interest then the girls who are watching would not find it as cool. Well some girls. Not me.

It would be nice to have one movie with batman without love for a change.

Red Superfly
I don't wanna see any superpowerred villains in these Batman flicks at all.

I'd love to see Catwoman the theif though. I'd love to see the whole anti-hero thing too, something the Returns movie didn't do an awful lot of.

munkiesarus
Just normal street thugs? I haven't seen Begins, does he really fight anyone like Poison Ivy.

Batman Wins
Different ***** every movie. Batman is James Bond. Neverrr see the same girl in a Batman movie.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Batman Wins
Different ***** every movie. Batman is James Bond. Neverrr see the same girl in a Batman movie.

I HATE that and I really hope that Rachel will return for Batman Begins 2.

Why is it that when movies like this include a female character, everyone dismisses her as just 'the love interest?'. There's a lot more to her than that. Are you saying that these movies shouldn't have any females in lead roles? That would be ridiculous.

Rachel is Bruce's best friend and is one of the few uncorruptible D.A.'s in Gotham (and is therefore a vital ally in Batman's fight against crime). It will be stupid if she isn't in the next movie.

Joker1237
VV in the comics, was Bruce;s loved, But she left him.

I dont mind a Vicky Vale thing.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Max Spidey 24
Well its better than Spiderman movie, when Spidey drooling over mary jane instead of saving the world, but you would probaly do the same.

thats an understatement,yeah at least in batman begins they did not have the movie be all about the girl like they did in those two god awful movies.but yeah it seems they cant seem to make a batman movie without a love interest in it or having the girl learn his identity.I sure as hell hope the sequels dont follow what the batman movies from the 90's did,having a new girl in every flick and then she learns his identity.that got to be tiresome.

NoFate007
Originally posted by chilled monkey
I HATE that and I really hope that Rachel will return for Batman Begins 2.

Why is it that when movies like this include a female character, everyone dismisses her as just 'the love interest?'. There's a lot more to her than that. Are you saying that these movies shouldn't have any females in lead roles? That would be ridiculous.

Rachel is Bruce's best friend and is one of the few uncorruptible D.A.'s in Gotham (and is therefore a vital ally in Batman's fight against crime). It will be stupid if she isn't in the next movie.

Agreed, she served her purpose and wasnt' just a mindless bimbo. HOWEVER, most superhero films have a damsel in distress, and if you look at the Batman films, and even Spider-Man to an extent, some characters fall under that.

Chase Meridian - gave a tiny bit of insight into Bruce's nature, but honestly, the # of scenes she did that in was irrelevant. Alfred could've done the same in a 5 minute span. She was there to be a big female part even though she contributed nothing but distress to the situation.

Vale - someone to tell the story through the eyes of...that's it. Didn't capture Batman, didn't help him out, didn't serve a plot point really after the first fifteen or so minutes.

Mary Jane Watson - exists to annoy Peter in his love-quest for her, and to be the woman that gets captured so that Spider-Man has to save her in a fit of romance mixed with the quarrel w/ the villain.

Generally, women, if not the superhero themselves, are reduced to mere giggling idiots in these films. Rachel, one of the reasons why I liked the character, actually served a purpose in the film and was only rescued once. It wasn't a 3 rescue deal or something where she's too

NoFate007
....stupid to get out of harm's way.

What I feel, though, is that if they introduce another female lead, if its not someone like Poison Ivy or Catwoman, or something of the sorts, its just going to be someone that Bruce knows, has a love interest with, and protects, which is just gonna be a waste of space in a film.

chilled monkey
"Rachel, one of the reasons why I liked the character, actually served a purpose in the film and was only rescued once. It wasn't a 3 rescue deal or something"

I agree. That's exactly why I liked Rachel and this movie. That is also the reason why they should keep Rachel for Batman Begins 2 and not have someone new.

"Generally, women, if not the superhero themselves, are reduced to mere giggling idiots in these films."

I HATE that and I hope that future movies will follow a similar trend to Batman Begins.

DarkAge
I hope Rachel dies in the next movie. Hell, someone needs to die.

Since Begins was heavily based on Frank Miller's Year One, I wonder if Selina would be a prostitute should she ever be introduced in a sequel. I always thought it made sense for Catwoman to be a hooker.

RogerRamjet
Originally posted by DarkAge
Pretty much every Batman movie up to this point, even Phantasm, has had a love interest in it who learns Batman's secret identity. I wish Begins didn't have a love interest. Originally I thought it was too dark to spend the movie talking about something as frivolous as that, but then bam the chick from Dawson's Creek or Party of Five or whatever it was is in it. Batman isn't supposed to fall in love, dammit.

and how you're gonna get your girlfriend to watch the movie? the romantic parts of a movie are made to attract female audiences into buying a ticket, simple as that...

Batman Returns
Originally posted by RogerRamjet
and how you're gonna get your girlfriend to watch the movie? the romantic parts of a movie are made to attract female audiences into buying a ticket, simple as that...

i partially i agree with that. one thing i will never understand: WHY KATIE HOLMES DAMNIT!!!??? WHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY!!!!! DAMNIT I JUST WANTED TO SLAP THAT B***, JUST CHUT UP YOU CRUISE ASS KISSING MORON, WHY ARE YOU EVEN IN A BATMAN MOVIE!!!????AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

ok, thats all i had to say. i must admit, every "love interest" was tolerable, yes, even basinger. kidman i almost **** myself she was so bad in BF. basinger was aight, she had the looks enough at the time to pull that off. but nothing, NOTHING prepared me for.......

Michelle Pfiffer as CATWOMAN!! she blew me away!! one of the best performances ive ever seen in the bat-films!! shes not only the most gorgeus woman on the plantet, but she brang such credibility to the character of slina kyle/Catwoman, it was like, WOW!! and her chemistry with keaton was 100% perfect!! she had everything!! seriously, if it werent for her, i dont think i'd like BR as much as i do. BEST LOVE INTEREST IN ALL THE FILMS!! oooooooooooh i love you michelle, oooooooooooh............

big grin

bakerboy
I agree with you in the michelle pfeiffer part.

jplatinum
Hey, Batman's gotta get some punta too, man.

Mainstream
Originally posted by jplatinum
Hey, Batman's gotta get some punta too, man.

yeah Batman has to get action...that only a laddie can provide..if you know what I'm saying.

roughrider
If they don't, people will be looking at his relationship with Robin TOO CLOSELY. big grin

Mainstream
Originally posted by roughrider
If they don't, people will be looking at his relationship with Robin TOO CLOSELY. big grin

leftright

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by roughrider

laughing out loud

Lord Shadow Z
Katie Holmes will probably be in the second film and I hope she is because she was okay but I don't want any plot lines involving her being rescued as I will leave the cinema.

Maybe she could turn evil and try to convert Batman to Scientology...

Batman Returns
i dont want katie holmes in the sequel *shiver*

vaya_the_elf
She is not that bad, but I think they should do a batman without a love interest though.

Although then a lot of girls who complain, but not me smile

The Ones
every movie has a love interest

EsteemedLeader
Batman Begins sucked.

Batman and Robin didn't have this flaw.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader

Batman and Robin didn't have this flaw.

We know, it had plenty of other flaws to make up for it.

GreenIsCool22
do u guys think that they'll make another batman movie? i mean, after batman and robin they made batman begin and i say that makes completley NO sense. Happy Dance

darth vraya
Well of course they will stupid newbie

GreenIsCool22
i agree that they should make a a batman movie where he marries some1. but he is like james bond: ya never see the same girl in two movies. also its getting kinda annoying how he changes girls like he changes his shirt. Happy Dance

Doc Ock
Selina Kyle has been the best love interest so far.

Super hot girl and super hot villainess rolled into one wink

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z

laughing

EsteemedLeader
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z

Like Batman Begins?

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
Like Batman Begins?

Batman and Robin had many flaws. Can't even count how many there were.

What all flaws were there with begins? There is only two i can think of .. .

Doc Ock
Ok all joking aside.

Did you really think that Schwarzenegger with his corny lines like "You're not sending me too the cooler",Bane made Ivy's mute slave,The nippled costumes,the neon Gotham City,Silverstone as Barbara the niece of Alfred being Batgirl,and Batman and Robin showing up at a public auction in front of everyone and then Batman producing a Bat credit card is cool???

Seriously you liked that portrayl of Batman??? Can you explain why please??

vaya_the_elf
Begins the only problems I see are not that big of deal. Well to me they are not

All I saw was the girl yet again finding out who he was.. which happens in every movie, so yeah

Then the fight scences could have been edited better, but you could still make out stuff, and it still looked cool. Just went really fast.

Other than that was Scarecrow working with Ra's Al-Ghul

Other than that it did a great job, so much better than Batman and Robin.

TheQuincy
Yeah I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Batman should have never had a love interest in ANY of the movies. Batman is a character who doesn't get close to people. Who doesn't allow himself to get attached. That's one of the major differences between him and Clark Kent. It was just pretty irritating that they threw that in there. And even if they did, I think Katie Holmes character should have died, to make it even darker.

Silverstein
Originally posted by TheQuincy
Yeah I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Batman should have never had a love interest in ANY of the movies. Batman is a character who doesn't get close to people. Who doesn't allow himself to get attached. That's one of the major differences between him and Clark Kent. It was just pretty irritating that they threw that in there. And even if they did, I think Katie Holmes character should have died, to make it even darker.

thats right, Batman does not get close to people. if you exclude is partnership with Robin.

batman doesnt get close to people but Bruce Wayne does... smile and who is batman...

Silverstein
Originally posted by Doc Ock
Ok all joking aside.

Did you really think that Schwarzenegger with his corny lines like "You're not sending me too the cooler",Bane made Ivy's mute slave,The nippled costumes,the neon Gotham City,Silverstone as Barbara the niece of Alfred being Batgirl,and Batman and Robin showing up at a public auction in front of everyone and then Batman producing a Bat credit card is cool???

Seriously you liked that portrayl of Batman??? Can you explain why please??

the movie batman & robin was bad...lets face it. But look on the brightside, BB is way better and we can enjoy that, the least we can do is laugh at how corny B&R was...I laughed when i read the line "you're not sending me to the cooler" laughing laughing laughing

Bardock42
Well I think they can go somewhere good fro there. First it's not like Rachel found out, Bruce actually told her. And she was his friend since youth time...it wasn't a "Oh we know each other two days lets pretend it's the biggest love ever and I will never show up again".

So now they could just cut her out, she knows iot but leaves town making place for Dent or something (well dent could be the new Attorney anyways)

She could die (my favorite, would make the movies actually really dark)

She could just be a minor role maybe siilar to Leslie in the Comics..

She could be Bruces girlfriend (damn that would really, really, really suck....)

I hope they'll just not start a new love interest or anything, that would be the worst case scenario in my opinion.

TheQuincy
If they know what they are doing, undoubtedly they will kill rachel in the next movie. Not that I have anything against her, she's just holding Batman back. You guys know what i'm saying right?

vaya_the_elf
She is not holding him back. I'd think she does the opposite. She dumped him, and no chick has ever done that before. Thought that was kind of cool. Also she was not all over Batman, but liked Bruce better. Thought that was also a nice change.

She is also very wise chick. Like she gave him advice, and everything. So I don't think she was that bad. There have been worse chicks in Batman.

Silverstein
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
She is not holding him back. I'd think she does the opposite. She dumped him, and no chick has ever done that before. Thought that was kind of cool. Also she was not all over Batman, but liked Bruce better. Thought that was also a nice change.

She is also very wise chick. Like she gave him advice, and everything. So I don't think she was that bad. There have been worse chicks in Batman.

Bruce and Rachel kissed= love relationship, BUT she never dumped him, Rachel wants to put their new relationship on hold, until Bats is done what he has to do. watch the movie again...

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by Silverstein
Bruce and Rachel kissed= love relationship, BUT she never dumped him, Rachel wants to put their new relationship on hold, until Bats is done what he has to do. watch the movie again...

Well she still rejected him, and that does not happen very often in Batman movies. She did not even seem to drool over Batman at all actually. Thats why I thought she was kind of cool.

Terrorking
i dont know if they have to have a love interest but they can at least show him with a woman

sevenman
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
Well she still rejected him, and that does not happen very often in Batman movies. She did not even seem to drool over Batman at all actually. Thats why I thought she was kind of cool. She doesn't even like Batman and learns his darkest and she leaves him. Then she kills scarecrow with a tazer. She totally rocks. Really, she does.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.