Which are your favorite Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction Films?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
I feel this sub-genre of horror/sci-fi/action doesn't get much recognizition from fans these days. Back in the 80's these films were quite popular because of the cold war. And I think they deserved a revival. Well, here is list of my all time favorites:

Mad Max Trilogy
Escape from New York
Joe D'Amato's EndGame
Steel Dawn
2019 After the Fall of New York
2020 Texas Gladiators
Six String Samurai

Myth
For some reason, post-apocalyptic movies are often very very lame even though the concept is cool. I like Road Warrior, and Beyond Thunder Dome was ok I guess, but I hated the original Mad Max. Escape from New York was somewhere between decent and bad (while the 2nd was just awful). Waterworld was another one that was really really shitty.

Cinemaddiction
FINALLY..a thread with a brain!

Logan's Run
Planet of the Apes (1968)
12 Monkeys
Blade Runner
The Matrix
When Worlds Collide
Dead Quadrilogy

Those are just a few..and..hardly lame..selections. stick out tongue

whirlysplat
Omega Man
Planet of the Apes
Logans Run
28 Days Later
Matrix (just the first film)

Myth
Ok, Matrix and 12 Monkeys are 2 of them that I do like.

romper_stomper
the mad max trilogy of course
and also a great film i seen a while ago called raiders of the sun

IceWithin
Originally posted by Myth
For some reason, post-apocalyptic movies are often very very lame even though the concept is cool. I like Road Warrior, and Beyond Thunder Dome was ok I guess, but I hated the original Mad Max. Escape from New York was somewhere between decent and bad (while the 2nd was just awful). Waterworld was another one that was really really shitty.

Waterworld definitley makes it to my top 10 list of the most shitty movies ever.

WindDancer
Yeah, certain post-apocalyptic films (mostly the ones I mention) are rather cheesy and poorly acted. However, most of this films did not have the necessary budget for production so they occasionally had to change certain aspects of the film and cheapen the production.

Waterworld was to be the promising post-apocalyptic film of the entire genre. It had good actors and a very good budget to back it up. It look like it was going to be very promising. Unfortunally the film was a horrific flop and fail to deliver on all those high expectations. For me the post-apocalypse films of the 80's were the equivalent of those 50's martian films. They were cheesy, but quite entertaining. The great thing about them was the gore factor. And some of them did shock me as horrific...but I was just a 11 year little puke when I saw most of these films. stick out tongue

b-dan
independance day and dream catcher

Cinemaddiction
Neither of those qualify..

Myth
Those are in no way Post-Apocalyptic. Independence Day is pretty much on the verge of Apocalyptic but not Post-Apocalyptic. I don't see what you mean by listing Dreamcatcher at all. By the way, that is one of the worse and most disappointing movies I have ever seen. My friends and I use it for our scale of shitty movies. Example, we go to a movie and say, "I hope this isn't another Dreamcatcher." Might as well rewatch The Core *shudders*.

b-dan
Those are in no way Post-Apocalyptic. Independence Day is pretty much on the verge of Apocalyptic but not Post-Apocalyptic. I don't see what you mean by listing Dreamcatcher at all. By the way, that is one of the worse and most disappointing movies I have ever seen. My friends and I use it for our scale of shitty movies. Example, we go to a movie and say, "I hope this isn't another Dreamcatcher." Might as well rewatch The Core *shudders*. lol

Myth
Well at least you didn't seem offended by my comments. smile

b-dan
Well at least you didn't seem offended by my comments. smile people have there own oppinions i like dreamcatcher book was better tho ending was diffrent to duddits didnt turne out to be some alien and fight mr gray

WindDancer
I just saw Turkey Shot (Escape 2000) and The Bronx Warriors. As cheesy as they are, I find them entertaining to watch. These films are one of a kind. lol!

star22
Mine would be Blade Runner and Matrix (first one).

Deano
28 days later
night of the comet
planet of the apes
omega man
mad max
waterworld
escape from new york
romeros dead trilogy
12 monkeys

big gay kirk
Luc Besson's "The Last Battle..." its french, but no one speaks in it anyway....

Mandorallen
outbreak
12 Monkeys
Planet of the Apes
Independance day
Blade Runner
The Matrix
war of the worlds (both, well, the oldest and the newest ones.)

b-dan
12 mokeys was alrite Brad Pitt was awsome in it!!!

Mandorallen
lol, I agree.

"GET OUTtA MY CHAAAIRR!"

haahah

zombieman
Anyone seen Deathlands? The series of novels is decent, but the movie didn't really do much for me.

WrathfulDwarf
^I saw a copy of that film on a DVD rack but I just couldn't afford it.

I did however got my hands on Warriors of the wastelands 2000. Not a great film but if you're into the genre it's worth it.

BackFire
Romero's series of the Dead is my favorite.

Others - 28 Days Later, Omega Man, Mad Max.

Ushgarak
Hey, I really liked the original Mad Max... not that the second one was a bad film by any means (though the third... hmmm...), but the sequel was far more cliched iin its background. I liked the "civilisation is still there but it is actually pretty shitty" feel of the first one.

Mišt
I was gonna say Terminator, but that doesnt really count...disgust

office jesus
Originally posted by Cepheus
Waterworld definitley makes it to my top 10 list of the most shitty movies ever.

LMAO! I was wondering when someone was going to mention that film.

office jesus
Originally posted by Dusty
outbreak
12 Monkeys
Planet of the Apes
Independance day
Blade Runner
The Matrix
war of the worlds (both, well, the oldest and the newest ones.)

ID4 doesn't really count. At least.. I don't think. Neither does War of the Worlds. Those were alien invasions. big grin.

chug on my nuts
THE MIST AND I AM LEGEND ARE GONNA BE REAL GOOD,
aLSO MY LIST OF FAVORITES:
WAR OF THE WORLDS (NEW)
28 DAYS LATER
DAY AFTER TOMMOROW
RESIDENT EVIL 2
AMD THE SHITY LIST:
WATERWORLD
MAD MAX
PLANET OF THE APES
THE WORST:
OMEGA MAN

chug on my nuts
dude omg thos sucks nuts

Violent2Dope
I find most post-apocalyptic movies to be kinda lame, Matrix trilogy was good tho.

exanda kane
La Jetee
Blade Runner
Children of Men

(Last two are applicable in a wide sense.)

I like Costner's boat in Waterworld.

big gay kirk
The Last Battle (anyone else seen it?)
Children of Men
Mad Max
Planet of the Apes (the original)
Threads
Survivors
(the last two being tv shows I know.. but they deserve mentioning...)

ragesRemorse
Whats wrong with water world?

2D_MASTER
Some off the top of my head.

A Boy and his Dog
Blade Runner (though not POST Apocalyptic from my recollection)
Twelve Monkies
Soylent Green (though not POST Apocalyptic from my recollection)
Planet of The Apes (original not the SHITY Burton remake)
Death Race 2000
The Omega Man
Last Man on Earth
Logans Run
Day of the Dead
Cyborg
Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Mad Max:BTD.
Cherry 2000
The Terminator

Faith27
The day after tomorrow and Armageddon.

apoc001
Anyone ever seen Slipstream?

Mark Question
Anyone know this one? A dude on a dirtbike, he uses a butterfly knife in one scene... There's a armored out rig type vehicle... Watched it a long time ago. Pretty vague, i know.

Mark Question
Check this one out: http://www.doomsdayiscoming.com/

Rajendra
Independence Day
Planet of the apes
and waterworld is the most fascinating movie for me.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Rajendra
Independence Day
Planet of the apes
and waterworld is the most fascinating movie for me.

WATER WORLD SUCKED!
and i hate to burst peoples bubble but ID4 and blade runner, day after tomorrow and 28 days later and armaggedon are not post apocalyptic movies

The terminator is close cause at least it shows post apocalyptic times

my list would be
the matrix
mad max
road warrior
terminator (i guess)

the bad list
water world
the postman
anything with kevin friggin costner

MildPossession
Le Dernier Combat is probably at the top of my list for this sub genre, really really good atmosphere in the film from the early 80s.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.