Castle Garac

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Tired Hiker
by Nicholas Monsarrat

This book just fell into my hands at this summer camp place I went to. When I wasn't rafting down rivers or trying to beat my cousin at Ping Pong, I was reading Castle Garac. I found it in the camp's little library of donated books. Anyone read this? Very intriguing I must say, I am three quarters through it and the suspense is killing me. eek!

Movie_Geek_
What is the book about.

The Tired Hiker
It's written in 1945, takes place present day 1945, about a desparate American man, Tom Welles, 28 years of age, who is hired to work for a rich couple, who as far as we know, live at a fancy shmancy Hotel called the Negresco. The deal is, they pay Tom well, and is not to ask any questions. So, they make him find a castle, it has to have a chapel and a wall around it, or it won't do. It must also have been built before 16ooad. So, Tom does this and he is paid well. Then, his next job is to find a woman who looks or is 19 years old, is French, and can up and leave her current life without a moments notice. The woman will not be harmed in any way, and she will be very well compensated and informed as to what her tasks are. So, he find and falls in love with the woman he finds, and is reluctant to bring her into this game, so to speak. But he does because she needs the money and it is up to her anyway. She meets the people and they talk to her privately. Tom wakes up the next day to visit the couple in the Negresco, but they are no longer there. A note is left for Tom from the rich couple saying that something came up, a bit of an emergency and they won't be needing the girl afterall. Tom was relieved and went to visit the girl. Only she wasn't there. So he goes to the Castle Garac and finds that the gate to the wall is locked for the first time in years! I'm at the part where he has to break into the castle to see if the girl he found is in danger.

Movie_Geek_
That reealy cool I will have to take a look at it.

The Tired Hiker
Dude, I just finished it today, and . . . . . .. . . ... erm.

At first I was disappointed by the ending, but the more I think back to the whole 'experience' . . . it was actually worth the read. Plus, it's an easy read.

Castle Garac = thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.